As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 9: FRANKIE EDGAR BEST LW IN WORLD, MAYNARD MOST BORING

• Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    He couldn't lose half a pound in 2 hours? I mean... I don't know a lot about weight cutting, but... shouldn't that be relatively easy?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    He couldn't lose half a pound in 2 hours? I mean... I don't know a lot about weight cutting, but... shouldn't that be relatively easy?
    Alves had issues before with cutting weight. I believe I read somewhere that he was 177 on Wednesday.

He may have chosen to just take the purse penalty, considering that he blames a previous loss on last-minute weight cutting.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Alves had issues before with cutting weight. I believe I read somewhere that he was 177 on Wednesday.

I believe he may have chosen to just take the purse penalty, considering that he blames a previous loss on last-minute weight cutting.

That could be true. Seems like a healthy chunk of money for half a pound, is all.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I believe he may have chosen to just take the purse penalty, considering that he blames a previous loss on last-minute weight cutting.

That could be true. Seems like a healthy chunk of money for half a pound, is all.

Probably because they expect guys who are professionals to come in at the contracted weight like a professional.

Seriously, Alves either needs to lose some muscle mass or just pack it on and fight at MW. He would get murdered in that division, but oh well. His fault for keeping a hefty body composition.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The same thing goes for Akiyama. The man could easily lower down to welter-weight, and perhaps avoid having such a stamina problem.

He doesn't fail to make weight though, or be sexy.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Probably because they expect guys who are professionals to come in at the contracted weight like a professional.

Seriously, Alves either needs to lose some muscle mass or just pack it on and fight at MW. He would get murdered in that division, but oh well. His fault for keeping a hefty body composition.

Oh, whoa. You misunderstood me. I meant... it seems like a lot of money to sacrifice instead of trying to lose that last half-pound and possibly performing at less than 100%. I am completely okay with someone being charged 20% of their purse for missing weight.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, losing's worse than a pay check cut. He loses this fight, and he's going in the back of the line. He wins, and gets a rematch against the champion.

Too much at risk to not be at complete 100% even if it meant you coming in over-weight. He's going to be huge tomorrow. Huge. Fitch will have to wrestle this pit bull down.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Oh, whoa. You misunderstood me. I meant... it seems like a lot of money to sacrifice instead of trying to lose that last half-pound and possibly performing at less than 100%. I am completely okay with someone being charged 20% of their purse for missing weight.

You're right. I definitely misunderstood you. :lol:

I stand behind my point, though. Haha.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I haven't watched a PPV in a while since I work Saturday nights. There've been some cards that tempted me, but without the thrill of watching live (or watching with a group of friends to cut down the cost) I haven't been able to justify it..

My question is, I'm pretty sure the event repeats after it's over, right? So I can just watch it then if I really wanted to?

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just saw on InsideMMA that Impact FC hasn't been able to pay its fighters from the events 3 weeks ago..

adytum on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This 'shop from the UG was too great not to share.

roundpride.jpg?t=1281160769

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

There is a limit to how much water you can sweat out before you stop being able to sweat at all, (at which point you try to spit the rest of the weight off) so I'd guess Alves had already lost all the water weight he could.

eEK! on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Cutting weight through water loss is dangerous and stupid anyways. I really wish they'd ban that.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's really no way to "ban" cutting. They can discourage its use by instituting a better weigh-in process, though. Something as multiple weigh-ins would be a big deterrent to its practice. Honestly, I'm surprised there are so many health professionals and doctors out there who still promote and maintain its use.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gomi vs. Serra grappling match. Not sure when it happened, but I found it pretty entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3KSjecbYYc

And for fun, here's Mir vs. Nelson at a Grappler's Quest tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dj5xMeXybs&feature=related

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Serra/Gomi was ADCC, 02 or 04, I think

Serra got to the finals, then bowed out at the request of Renzo. Wont really talk about it other than "I owe Renzo everything I have. If it werent for him I'd still be bouncing at crappy clubs"

Edit: I really like serra. Hes a great Jiujitsu fighter with always really agressive fights. Hes at that crappy weight though were hes either a small WW, or an exhuasted LW. Ive seen him get screwed over a few times by bad calls. Yeah he had the boring lytle fight, but 9/10 people ive talked to agree he beat Hughes. Heck even Hughes looked suprised when they raised his hand. Ive also seen refs stand him up while hes passing someones guard.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What I never understood about Serra was that he's got excellent jits but he had real trouble finishing dudes. I know he luck-punched GSP and tko'd poor Frank Trigg, but his last win by submission was in 2002 at UFC 36.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Serra/Gomi was ADCC, 02 or 04, I think

Serra got to the finals, then bowed out at the request of Renzo. Wont really talk about it other than "I owe Renzo everything I have. If it werent for him I'd still be bouncing at crappy clubs"

Edit: I really like serra. Hes a great Jiujitsu fighter with always really agressive fights. Hes at that crappy weight though were hes either a small WW, or an exhuasted LW. Ive seen him get screwed over a few times by bad calls. Yeah he had the boring lytle fight, but 9/10 people ive talked to agree he beat Hughes. Heck even Hughes looked suprised when they raised his hand. Ive also seen refs stand him up while hes passing someones guard.

Actually, I just found it on his Wiki page (should have check there first, I suppose). It was back in 2001. No wonder Serra looks so young there.

ADCC 2001 66–76 kg: 2nd place

Record of opponents:

* Won: Takanori Gomi (sub), Jean Jacques Machado (pts), Leonardo Silva Dos Santos (sub)

* Lost: Marcio Feitosa Souza (Conceded victory.)

I already like Serra before finding this info, but the fact that he beat Machado instantly ups my respect for him even more. JJM is no joke.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Way back in the day Serra vs. Shonie Carter was a great fight, best of the year maybe.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    so broke

need to find some way to watch this tonight

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I can't believe the trash talking of Sonnen ends today.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    What I never understood about Serra was that he's got excellent jits but he had real trouble finishing dudes. I know he luck-punched GSP and tko'd poor Frank Trigg, but his last win by submission was in 2002 at UFC 36.
    I think a lot of the problem is that he has trouble getting the fight to the ground on his terms. Especially when he's been up against the likes of BJ, Karo, Hughes, GSP and Trigg.

815165 on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    I think a lot of the problem is that he has trouble getting the fight to the ground on his terms. Especially when he's been up against the likes of BJ, Karo, Hughes, GSP and Trigg.
    So what you're saying is Serra was a jits guy with crappy takedowns before it was fashionable? :lol:

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Genki Sudo promoted his new CD in New York. He's going to do something on Sunday. http://www.sunrhythm.us/SunRhythm/NEWS.html

http://www.sunrhythm.us/SunRhythm/EVENT_INFO.html

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I can't believe the trash talking of Sonnen ends today.

Not necessarily. If he wins (if), I'm sure it will only continue. Probably at a higher degree.

If he loses, he may just trash his next opponent. It won't be as high profile, but it will probably still happen.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm excited for this event.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So excited.

I hope my picks are the right ones.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    team chael

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Anderson Army.

Let the leg punching begin!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    WAR

saunders
    struve
    hendricks
    boetsch
    davis
    hazelett
    dos santos
    hughes
    dos anjos
    fitch

and...

i want sonnen to win, but i expect silva will

Organichu on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    cmon chu, join me on team sonnen
    you know you want to
    until silva gives you your $50 back you can't root for him

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    cmon chu, join me on team sonnen
    you know you want to
    until silva gives you your $50 back you can't root for him

i'll definitely be rooting for sonnen

i want him to gnp silva into unconsciousness and then grab the mic while sobbing and scream

LIFE BEGINS AT CONCEPTION, AND IT ENDS RIGHT HERE

and have him turn around and bolo stomp on silva

Organichu on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chael Sonnen is a funny guy but I'm not laughing with him. He seems like someone who would make a good guest on Daily Show / Colbert Report.

My ideal outcome for their fight is to see both guys lay a beating on the other but I hope Sonnen losses and makes some comment like BJ Penn did after his loss to GSP "I'm going to the bar to heal up while he heads to hospital after his win". :P

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm both petty and honest enough to admit that I want Chael's head on a stick.

His cry baby fight(s) against Filho has made him my all time most hated MMA person. Maybe I should let it go, and take solace in Maia's complete destruction of Chael.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Silva - R1 - S/T
    Almeida - R2 - S/T
    Fitch - JD - Unanimous
    Saunders - R2 - KO
    Guida - JD - Unanimous
    Nelson - R1 - S/T
    Story - JD - Split
    Struve - R3 - S/T
    Davis - R1 - S/T
    Boetsch - R2 - KO

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They Lord God, I have found gold.

Gentleman, CroCop versus Barry: the Manga:

e01521851182871.jpg

e01521851184350.jpg

e01521851185886.jpg

e01521851191549.jpg

e0152185119305.jpg

e01521851195551.jpg

e0152185120917.jpg

e01521851203278.jpg

e01521851472820.jpg

Click ye yonder link for more.

http://manabelldo.exblog.jp/

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That was just how I exactly remember watching the fight.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sweet. Took about 20 minutes, but I found a place to watch the fight. It's half an hour away. Closest we could find. Didn't think I was going to be able to see it being out of town and all, but I thought wrong. And it appears SC isn't really into MMA. None of the bars within a 5 minute drive are showing the fight...
    No Will, I can't go to the new BWW to watch it with you.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    They Lord God, I have found gold.

Gentleman, CroCop versus Barry: the Manga:

e01521851182871.jpg

e01521851184350.jpg

e01521851185886.jpg

e01521851191549.jpg

e0152185119305.jpg

e01521851195551.jpg

e0152185120917.jpg

e01521851203278.jpg

e01521851472820.jpg

Click ye yonder link for more.

http://manabelldo.exblog.jp/

I saw that elsewhere a few days ago on some other forum. They're really quite excellent, they do a great job of showing how the fight went down, in excellent detail. There are a ton of them too, and they have non-UFC fights too, including Fedor.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Prelims
    Struve's definitely made up for his last defeat. The more experienced won against Saunders.

doug_grammar on