As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iPhone 2010: This is going to change everything. Again.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't really have a problem with the built-in texting app?

Is this just because I haven't tried any better?

(Also, I don't know if it was this thread or some other one that I can't find, but WeRule is basically FarmVille in a castle, and it is a bad, bad game. FYI.)
    My only issue with the built-in texting on my iPhone* is it seems to more and more frequently tell me that it's failed to send a message, only to find out that it *did* send the message.

* EDGE iPhone, so no MMS.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm more than happy with the standard text app as I've never used a phone with the conversational setup before.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2010
    Its more the fact that you can text without going into the text app (excellent for a quick reply wile playing a game or browsing the web), and the ability to save common messages for quick replies... I am quite the fan.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The only problem I have with the regular messaging app is that it doesn't track the character limit which is important if I'm texting someone who doesn't have unlimited messages and sometimes I accidentally hit send. So when I jailbreak I install smshelper which displays a counter on the send button and there's an option to confirm my choice when I hit the send button.

Sarksus on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The only problem I have with the regular messaging app is that it doesn't track the character limit which is important if I'm texting someone who doesn't have unlimited messages and sometimes I accidentally hit send. So when I jailbreak I install smshelper which displays a counter on the send button and there's an option to confirm my choice when I hit the send button.

My iPhone displays the amount of characters I've used in a text, though I did have to turn it on. The advantage over my old phone (which was just a list of my received messages) is so big that I really don't mind it. Sending common messages can be handy I guess, but I always dislike them because they're a bit unpersonal. People always say that sbsettings is what makes jailbreaking so great, but I've read the description and the one half seems like minor changes and the other half I don't understand :P

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    edited August 2010
    Ampix wrote: »

My iPhone displays the amount of characters I've used in a text, though I did have to turn it on. The advantage over my old phone (which was just a list of my received messages) is so big that I really don't mind it. Sending common messages can be handy I guess, but I always dislike them because they're a bit unpersonal. People always say that sbsettings is what makes jailbreaking so great, but I've read the description and the one half seems like minor changes and the other half I don't understand :P

What the helllll, when did they add that. I didn't even notice you could activate a character count in the messaging app!

And SBSettings is awesome if you need to toggle things on and off. I swipe the status bar up top and it rolls down and I can toggle "Keep Alive" and SSH on and then SSH into my phone while the phone is locked (usually the connection is killed). Then I can quickly turn them back off for battery life and security. During PAX I could toggle 3G on and off if 3G was getting hit by lots of people in the convention center. I can toggle WiFi on and off if I'm usually connected to WiFi but I want to use 3G for whatever reason (sometimes my Internet connection goes down). You can respring and stuff too. It basically gives you access to lots of useful toggles and settings without having to go through menus.

Edit: I just activated character count and it doesn't do anything. I don't see a count anywhere.

Edit2: Oh okay I see how it works. It pops up when the message gets longer. Sweet.

Sarksus on
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just thought I would post it here although its already in the games thread.

Civilization Revolution is free today for iPhone/iPod Touch.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cydia apps I'm enjoying right now:

Cydelete (allows uninstall of cydia apps like regular apps, hold down and hit the X)
    my3g (facetime over 3g and download of huge apps over 3g.)
    Activator (gestures to quickly open apps)
    bitesms (for the bomb.com quick reply)

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
    edited August 2010
    Avicus wrote: »
    Just thought I would post it here although its already in the games thread.

Civilization Revolution is free today for iPhone/iPod Touch.

Damnit I wish it were the iPad version. Beggars can't be choosers, though.

Speaking of games, these are the iPad-specific games that I've REALLY LOVED so far:
    - Air Attack HD
    - Alpine Crawler World HD
    - Trundle HD

Gamed that I REALLY LIKED
    - Harbor Master
    - Soosiz HD
    - 2XL TrophyLite Rally
    - GT Racing
    - Meteor Blitz HD

Here are ones that I JUST LIKED
    - Geometry Wars
    - Spirit HD
    - Command & Conquer Red Alert
    - Stick Golf HD
    - Sparkle HD

EDIT: WHOOPS -- I THOUGHT I WAS IN THE iPAD THREAD...

Rothgarr on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just jailbroke my iPhone 3G with the browser exploit and then unlocked it with ultrasn0w. Holy shit I'm so happy!

My contract with AT&T ends tomorrow and I've been making plans to switch over to T-Mobile on Monday. I've been pissed off that I'd have to give up my iPhone when I switched carriers but now I don't have to!

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just jailbroke my iPhone 3G with the browser exploit and then unlocked it with ultrasn0w. Holy shit I'm so happy!

My contract with AT&T ends tomorrow and I've been making plans to switch over to T-Mobile on Monday. I've been pissed off that I'd have to give up my iPhone when I switched carriers but now I don't have to!

Say goodbye to 3G, though.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
    edited August 2010
    I love that the iphone 4 is one of the very few elite "penta-band" cellphones, yet still, no t-mobile 3g.

Captain Vash on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Six wrote: »

Say goodbye to 3G, though.

This is true. However, I have wifi at home and at school and those are the two places I use my phone the most. Having to use Edge for data everywhere else will suck, but it won't suck as bad as AT&T's craptastic network coverage in Kansas City.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    mame4iphone is free.

Fuck yeah.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • notmetalenoughnotmetalenough Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love that the iphone 4 is one of the very few elite "penta-band" cellphones, yet still, no t-mobile 3g.

Has nothing to do with the phone or it being penta-banded, T-mobile's 3G is in unusual GSM bands(1700 and 2100 MHz). No phone that's not designed specifically for those bands will work on them. And there's a lot of incentive for phone makers to use something like a band pass filter to quiet out areas of the spectrum where you don't expect signal.

notmetalenough on
    Samael the Radiant Faced-- Official Naming, Going Nuclear, Click on the Quest, Make She Run and Guild Measurements Officer - Clawshrimp & Co, Draenor-US
    edited August 2010
    More iPhone on Verizon details

I hope it's true. This is what I've been waiting for and why I haven't upgraded to iPhone 4 yet... This all makes sense, especially since AT&T let people upgrade to iPhone 4 up to six months early with no penalty. It's probably also why AT&T made a statement that their business would not be hurt if they lost iPhone exclusivity.

Rothgarr on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just grabbed "Frash", a Flash-for-iPhone addon. Works well.

Had one issue over the weekend e-mailing a photo. It brought up the prompt asking what size I want to send the photo in, I chose "actual", and everything froze. Couldn't back out, couldn't turn off, etc... Held both the lock and home button, finally went black. Restarted it, came up, worked fine. Ah well, first time that's happened.

GPIA7R on
    edited August 2010
    I just de-jailbroke my phone.

It was just getting slower and slower and I just wasn't seeing the value in it.

Captain Vash on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Just grabbed "Frash", a Flash-for-iPhone addon. Works well.

Had one issue over the weekend e-mailing a photo. It brought up the prompt asking what size I want to send the photo in, I chose "actual", and everything froze. Couldn't back out, couldn't turn off, etc... Held both the lock and home button, finally went black. Restarted it, came up, worked fine. Ah well, first time that's happened.

Frash is fucking awful. The tap to load flash graphic always has to be squared, so it overlays content in weird ways, it almost never loads video, and it breaks html5 youtube embeds.

If all you want to do is visit homestarrunner, and not do anything else on the web (seriously, it fucks up all websites that have the OPTION for non-flash usage), just skip it.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

What type of phone was it?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • CBG BlenderCBG Blender Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    iPhone Safari question: I know that you can jump to the top of a page by tapping the top of the frame. Is there a way to just as easily skip to the bottom? It would make browsing forums a lot easier. As it is now, it gets old having to drag and drag to see a new post at the bottom of a page.

CBG Blender on
    edited August 2010
    iPhone Safari question: I know that you can jump to the top of a page by tapping the top of the frame. Is there a way to just as easily skip to the bottom? It would make browsing forums a lot easier. As it is now, it gets old having to drag and drag to see a new post at the bottom of a page.

just click the "new post" icon on the thread title in forum view; much easier.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited August 2010
    Machismo wrote: »

What type of phone was it?

iphone 4.

Captain Vash on
    edited August 2010

Is there a method of doing this that is not resetting the phone to factory default? I understand OS upgrades sometimes make the jailbreak... break.. Should I ever want to revert, I would hate to have to dump my phone completely and lose save game info and other stuff on some of my apps.

I haven't synced my phone since jailbreaking, so my last backup is still intact, if that opens any options. Can I make itunes not auto-backup the phone on connection and then reload my just-before-jailbreak backup?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    Erandus wrote: »

Is there a method of doing this that is not resetting the phone to factory default? I understand OS upgrades sometimes make the jailbreak... break.. Should I ever want to revert, I would hate to have to dump my phone completely and lose save game info and other stuff on some of my apps.

I haven't synced my phone since jailbreaking, so my last backup is still intact, if that opens any options. Can I make itunes not auto-backup the phone on connection and then reload my just-before-jailbreak backup?

When you backup a jailbroken iPhone it saves a regular backup that you can restore to. At least every time I've ever upgraded to a new OS version while jailbroken this has worked for me. You lose the jailbreak and you restore to the backup like normal.

Sarksus on
    edited August 2010

When you backup a jailbroken iPhone it saves a regular backup that you can restore to. At least every time I've ever upgraded to a new OS version while jailbroken this has worked for me. You lose the jailbreak and you restore to the backup like normal.

So if I create a backup of my jailbroken phone, and then restore to that backup, it will restore all non-jailbreak related app data accrued whilst jailbroken and simply strip the jailbreak?

Am I understanding you correctly? Because if that's the case, there is some seriously awesome voodoo magic happening inside my little phone.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010

So if I create a backup of my jailbroken phone, and then restore to that backup, it will restore all non-jailbreak related app data accrued whilst jailbroken and simply strip the jailbreak?

Am I understanding you correctly? Because if that's the case, there is some seriously awesome voodoo magic happening inside my little phone.

Yes. Backing up a jailbroken phone has operated exactly the same as when I backed up a non-jailbroken phone. As far as iTunes is concerned the jailbreak doesn't exist and it makes a backup like normal. That's why you lose the jailbreak and all jailbreak applications when you do this. It's not really voodoo magic so much as the jailbreak existing outside of iTunes's view.

Sarksus on
    edited August 2010
    That is still highly reassuring and encouraging, that I have not gone down a road that it is somewhat painful to reverse out of. Feeling much better about my jailbreaking decision.

Thanks!

EDIT: Poof is a pretty nice Cydia app, finally lets me get rid of all those icons like stocks and voice messages that I never use or have replaced with 3rd party apps. BiteSMS was nearly worth the jailbreak all by its lonesome.

Can anyone recommend a good lockscreen app that is free-er than lockinfo?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a way to jailbreak IOS 4 yet and if not is there a way to have support for multiple exchange accounts on a jailbroken 3GS

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited August 2010
    I think jailbreakme.com still works. I don't think Apple has patched that vulnerability yet.

Sarksus on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That is still highly reassuring and encouraging, that I have not gone down a road that it is somewhat painful to reverse out of. Feeling much better about my jailbreaking decision.

Thanks!

EDIT: Poof is a pretty nice Cydia app, finally lets me get rid of all those icons like stocks and voice messages that I never use or have replaced with 3rd party apps. BiteSMS was nearly worth the jailbreak all by its lonesome.

Can anyone recommend a good lockscreen app that is free-er than lockinfo?

Poof isn't needed if you get SBSettings. You can toggle those buttons off. Stocks is the dumbest button ever.

I'm liking BiteSMS. 10 bucks still seems steep. Depends on how intrusive the ads are when they show up I guess.

SniperGuy on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think jailbreakme.com still works. I don't think Apple has patched that vulnerability yet.

They can patch all they want... but it's up to the user to accept that patch.

Jailbreakme will continue to work until the user chooses to install any of Apple's fixes for it. Then, Jailbreakme will work again, I'm sure, when it's also updated to counter whatever Apple does :P

GPIA7R on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »

They can patch all they want... but it's up to the user to accept that patch.

Jailbreakme will continue to work until the user chooses to install any of Apple's fixes for it. Then, Jailbreakme will work again, I'm sure, when it's also updated to counter whatever Apple does :P

it's pretty unlikely they'll find another browser based exploit for iOS4. they're not common, and you don't want them to be.

I would expect something that isn't a userland jailbreak to be released from geohot or comex eventually though

Monoxide on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The attack vector isn't the browser, though, it's a PDF. Which I'm sure they'll find plenty more exploits for.

Dehumanized on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's how your browser views those PDFs though.

So I went into SBsettings and hid the messaging app since I'm using bitesms. Now I don't get those notifications of a text, just the noise. What the hell. Restored the messaging app and still having the issue.

SniperGuy on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ordered two i4's last night. I'm going to have to read up some more on those MicroSIM-to-SIM homemade adapters so I can use a "dumb" phone for work trips.

Quick question. I was just chitchatting the rep while he was doing my paperwork and he said that you need AppleCare for extended warranties (which I knew). However, he mentioned something about iTunes adding some sort of "insurance" for $11.99/mo. Does anyone know anything about this? This part is new to me and while he made it seem like it's a requirement, I know better.

I'm still doing my own digging but if any of you can cut down on my research time I would be grateful.

I'm just trying to dial in my projected expenses once we get our phones and this account set up..................in 2-3 weeks.

Mugsley on
    edited August 2010
    Mugsley wrote: »

Quick question. I was just chitchatting the rep while he was doing my paperwork and he said that you need AppleCare for extended warranties (which I knew). However, he mentioned something about iTunes adding some sort of "insurance" for $11.99/mo. Does anyone know anything about this? This part is new to me and while he made it seem like it's a requirement, I know better.

see: http://gizmodo.com/5571866/your-iphone-4-warranty-and-insurance-options

Captain Vash on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know this has been covered before, but my wife has an iPod Touch and I want to give her IM access so if something happens to either of our cell phones she can use it to get in touch with my work Blackberry (no texts allowed on the work phone). What's the best free IM app? I'd prefer Google Chat, but I didn't see many that worked with it from a simple app store search.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was using PDANet today, and my phone crashed so hard I lost all my preferences. Maybe I need to take another look at MyWi.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
This discussion has been closed.