As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Problems with the new site?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2005
    [quote=[H]olyGeekboy]
    The fine folks in social entropy haven't linked to the new comic yet, hence it is not on the server.

Social entropy? Ye Gods, there are people who go in there voluntarily after stumbling in once by mistake?

What kind of world do we live in?[/quote]

Eviedently a misunderstood one, if your post is any fair sample to judge by.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Seriously, joined in 2003 and yet so green...

Also, all is working well for me now besides that random reloading bug in opera, but I kinda just live with it by pressing cancel :P

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    this opera reloading thing is killing me inside.

no other problems so far besides that.

inthegray on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2005
    I keep getting logged out even if I check the box to stay logged in. I suspect this has something to do with the page getting stuck when I submit my login info. If I click back to the forum index, it shows up and I am logged in.

Doc on
  • Options
    EffStarStarStarEffStarStarStar Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    ...for real though, the Opera page reloading.

EffStarStarStar on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2005
    I'm getting the RSS error "not a valid feed" still, which I've been getting ever since the site switch. When I wrote an RSS output script myself, I was very very lazy and just converted all occurances of & to & ... very very lazy. But it works! :)

I rather suspect that some RSS readers may not show this error, it's just that Firefox and Thunderbird tend to respect things like proper data types and all that jazz ...

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2005

I've taken to hitting cancel on most pages I visit, whether they're on this forum or not. :?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    I rather suspect that some RSS readers may not show this error, it's just that Firefox and Thunderbird tend to respect things like proper data types and all that jazz ...

I've been having this same problem, so I ran it through the feed validator

http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A//www.penny-arcade.com/rss.xml

Maybe that'll help. I was really enjoying being subscribed for the few days I was before the update. Hope this works again soon.[/quote]

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    The RSS feed is going to be one of the LAST THINGS FIXED.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Alpha put it half way down the list of things to do :P

Toast on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Super, can't even read the comic, as it asks me to login...but it gives me a nice fat error for that...hooray.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2005
    The Goto Page icon under each topic (the little white page) seems to be loading and reloading whenever I hover my mouse over each link.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    What happened to all the news posts? All the posts past feb. 11, 2002 are gone. Also, I'd like keywords that don't appear in the comic's title. It was a lot easier to find comics by quotes or subjects than by the title.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2005

I've taken to hitting cancel on most pages I visit, whether they're on this forum or not. :?

I like when you hit it in that instant between when it finishes loading the first time and when it starts reloading, so it doesn't register because it isn't currently doing anything. So you start typing and whoosh, all gone.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    Also, what happened to the Hook-Up, and Game Reviews, and everything?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    Also, what happened to the Hook-Up, and Game Reviews, and everything?
    You can still access the hookup and most of the other things.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=206368

RocketScience on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2005

Yeah, I've started doing that too...

Annoying.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited December 2005
    What happened to all the news posts? All the posts past feb. 11, 2002 are gone. Also, I'd like keywords that don't appear in the comic's title. It was a lot easier to find comics by quotes or subjects than by the title.

I think the newsposts prior to that just didn't get saved anywhere. If you're desperate there are a couple of internet backup sites. I would absolutely love to give you the link but I can't find it. It is possible to find many of those posts, though.

The keywords for comics is a fairly recent thing. They did it for a while, then stopped, then started again. Best of luck with that.

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    marcuspohlmarcuspohl Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    This is getting really annoying, and I can't change my settings because I'm on a work computer.

Anything you can do will be appreciated.

marcuspohl on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    marcuspohl wrote:
    This is getting really annoying, and I can't change my settings because I'm on a work computer.

those are PNGs, IE does not support them.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2005
    TelMarine wrote:
    marcuspohl wrote:

those are PNGs, IE does not support them.

Works fine for me, and I'm on IE...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    I haven't seen this mentioned, but the main page has looked like this for the past day or two.

pafront8ah.jpg

Glen on
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2005
    Glen wrote:
    I haven't seen this mentioned, but the main page has looked like this for the past day or two.

pafront8ah.jpg
    Doesn't happen here!

Rohaq on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    I am also getting the problem where I can not load a topic by clicking the viewnewest button to the left of the topic
    "Safari can’t open the page “http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=204621&view=newest”. The error was: “bad server response” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011)" is what I get back. (Just covering my ass with the also part, incase I'm the first to report this or the latest.)

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but on the second newest comic (i.e. not today's comic, but the one before it), the "next" link doesn't go to the most recent comic, but the "Newest" link does. Actually, it looks like the next link points to the second newest comic in that case. I guess the newest comic hasn't been put into the archive structure yet or something.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    Wulf wrote:
    I am also getting the problem where I can not load a topic by clicking the viewnewest button to the left of the topic
    "Safari can’t open the page “http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=204621&view=newest”. The error was: “bad server response” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011)" is what I get back. (Just covering my ass with the also part, incase I'm the first to report this or the latest.)
    Gah BoTPed!

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2005
    Tycho seems to have posted the news twice today.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    The Child's Play site simply doesn't load at all. Whenever I go there, I just get a blank page. Reloading, clearing the cache, etc. don't seem to help.

Safari 2.0.2 (416.13)

Also, when will the forums work with Safari again? Firefox on OS X is the definition of pain to use.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited December 2005
    I dunno if you care, alpha, but the broken PA RSS feed got reported on by someone pretty high up in the mozilla developer hierarchy, which got picked up in the MozillaZine RSS aggregate feed:

[quote=MozillaZine Feedhouse]Vladimir Vukicevic: RSS hell

I wish RSS could decide whether it wanted to be XML, RDF, HTML, plain text, or /something/ consistent. Case in point: ever since Penny Arcade redid their website, my PA Live Bookmark stopped working. Why? Because their RSS claims it’s XML 1.0 and RSS 2.0, but it includes HTML entities such as ’ and without any sort of associated DTD/namespacce/whatever that actually defines them. Our XML parser (rightly) blows up and says “hey, that entity isn’t defined”. The net result is a “Live Bookmark failed to load.” Grr.[/quote]

Ramius on
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    ctishman wrote:
    The Child's Play site simply doesn't load at all. Whenever I go there, I just get a blank page. Reloading, clearing the cache, etc. don't seem to help.

Safari 2.0.2 (416.13)

Also, when will the forums work with Safari again? Firefox on OS X is the definition of pain to use.

What exactly do you mean 'work with Safari?'

I've been using Safari all summer and up until this very moment, and I've never encountered a problem. :|

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    *attempts to click reply*

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21706466" The error was: “bad server response” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011)"

*opens Firefox*

For all these months and several versions of Safari, whenever I try to login, it says it completes the login process, but when I go to the main page, it doesn't show me logged in. When I try to reply, it usually (up to the last week or so) will let me login and write my post, but when I go to submit, it asks me to login again, then takes me to the main page (where I'm still not logged in), having not actually saved/posted anything I'd written.

When I reported this in early spring, Alpha noted that it was a problem with some nonstandard handling of scripts by Safari or somesuch, and he was waiting for things to stabilize to fix it. Being that eight months have come and gone, and Safari's passed a bunch of standards certification boards for all sorts of script handling, I'm not sure that's happening.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    *attempts to click reply*

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21706466" The error was: “bad server response” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011)"

Arrrrgh! *sigh*

*opens Firefox*

The -1011 error is showing up now whenever I try to load Child's Play. I suppose it's better than a blank page, but I still can't see shit.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    Krikee on
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited December 2005
    Lot of double post problems in the forum today. The loading times out after I hit submit, but it actually goes through. Just doesn't really show up for a bit.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    akoaakoa Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    The old site had a section with wallpapers in it, are those going to be posted anywhere else on the new site or are they just gone?

akoa on
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    It's not a complaint so much as a suggestion. Please change the favicon. I've been seeing the same teddy bear thing for months. What's it supposed to be anyway?

I was hoping with the new site design, we'd get a nice new favicon too.

Oh well, I love the new look. Excellent job.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited December 2005
    It is actually a wombat, not a teddy bear.

And it has been around for a very very very long time.

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    Ramius wrote:
    I dunno if you care, alpha, but the broken PA RSS feed got reported on by someone pretty high up in the mozilla developer hierarchy, which got picked up in the MozillaZine RSS aggregate feed:

[quote=MozillaZine Feedhouse]Vladimir Vukicevic: RSS hell

Case in point: ever since Penny Arcade redid their website, my PA Live Bookmark stopped working. Why? Because their RSS claims it’s XML 1.0 and RSS 2.0, but it includes HTML entities such as ’ and
    [/quote]

The RSS Validator says it is NOT XML1.0 valid:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.penny-arcade.com%2Frss.xml&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    A wombat eh? Well it's got history, which is cool. I dislike it less now, but I can't help but think a shiny new favicon would be great.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    firufiru Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2005
    Cannot insert new word matches is back.

firu on