As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free Comic Book Day - May 5, 2007

13»

• Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I bought Spider-Man: Blue.

That's about it.

I'm trying to get away from buying singles. Too expensive.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think I'll get on those trades for 52. In fact, since my investment in DC is pretty low right now, I wonder if I shouldn't just switch to trades only for them anyway.

Nah, I needs my monthly Green Lantern fix.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is 52 really all that worth it other than a few sweet moments?
    I dunno, some people really, really like it, but I think that's mostly people that decided before it started that they'd really really like it. People who are already huge fans of the characters it portrays. So if you think you'd like it, then you probably will, but if you're on the fence about it, well, it may not be for you.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wolf-man was alright, nothing spectacular, just enough(along with Kirkman's track record) to make me try the first real issue when it comes out.

My shop now has a cool one doller sale on all back issues, if only my back account wasn't at 2.95 at the moment. Still had to get some Savage Dragon issues with Madman.

Haven't read all my free comics yet, but this year wasn't too damn shabby.

LRG on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    If you didn't already buy the singles of 52, I'd suggest holding out for the trades.

Any idea when these will be released? I barely know anything about the series, but it sounds quite cool and I'd like to get into it.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2007
    I think the first one will be out pretty soon.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ya, all our back issues at my shop were only .25 each with 5 for 1 dollar. AWESOME!

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Did anyone get the Dark Horse book? Man, Umbrella Academy, Pantheon City, and Zerokiller all look really interesting. I'm definitely gonna check out Umbrella Academy when it starts in August.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited May 2007
    Was that the one written by the My Chemical Romance guy?

because fuck that

Menace on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's quite funny reading a lot of the bloggers at the moment, as many have a post along the lines of 'I really wanted to hate on this because it's by the MCR guy, but, er, it's quite good so I can't'.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Wildcat wrote: »
    It's quite funny reading a lot of the bloggers at the moment, as many have a post along the lines of 'I really wanted to hate on this because it's by the MCR guy, but, er, it's quite good so I can't'.

I don't know shit about My Chemical Romance, so I can't hate on the dude. Either way, that Umbrella Academy story was pretty cool. The Rumor has such a cool power. Also, the Murder Magician on the talk show was just fun to read.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So guys, apparently Free Comic Book Day went pretty well. I have to say, two of the three stores I went to on Saturday were more crowded than I'd ever seen, and, to be honest, neither of the stores did all that great at advertising the event. Hopefully they'll step it up next year and top this year's FCBD.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I missed umbrella academy, then heard the guy was like "Yeah, I based a lot of it on Doom Patrol" And I was like D:

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well I for one have nothing but love for Forbidden Planet's Dublin branch. I bought three comics (New Avengers and two issues of Runaways - missed last months) spent about €12 and got a pile of free comics, a Spider-Man 3 poster and, my personal favourite, a little batman heroclix figure :D

Swing Shift was great fun. I was happy enough to get a new story, but getting one that made me laugh out loud was even better. I loved the way the bobble heads flew everywhere when the car drove off the pier.

The Jackpot thing was confusing, but I have to give Slott kudos for fooling me into thinking the girl with flaming red hair and green eyes who looked exactly like MJ couldn't be MJ on account of the costume and teeny mask. Lois Lane suddenly seems a little less dense. Also, I realised during the week that her super-hero name was a reference to that very first line of hers - "Face it tiger, you hit the jackpot!" Still, confusing, but I imagine it was something for the current fans to mull over and speculate.

I liked The Astounding Wolf-Man. I'm not even sure why, but I liked it. I think I'll buy the second issue if I can afford to.

Rumour's power *is* a lot of fun, and could make for some interesting stories, but Umberella Academy didn't really grab me so I doubt I'll pick it up again.

Did anyone else get that Hack/Slash preview with the Family Guy comic? Man, that was the wrong one to read during my lunch hour.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well I for one have nothing but love for Forbidden Planet's Dublin branch. I bought three comics (New Avengers and two issues of Runaways - missed last months) spent about €12 and got a pile of free comics, a Spider-Man 3 poster and, my personal favourite, a little batman heroclix figure :D

Swing Shift was great fun. I was happy enough to get a new story, but getting one that made me laugh out loud was even better. I loved the way the bobble heads flew everywhere when the car drove off the pier.

The Jackpot thing was confusing, but I have to give Slott kudos for fooling me into thinking the girl with flaming red hair and green eyes who looked exactly like MJ couldn't be MJ on account of the costume and teeny mask. Lois Lane suddenly seems a little less dense. Also, I realised during the week that her super-hero name was a reference to that very first line of hers - "Face it tiger, you hit the jackpot!" Still, confusing, but I imagine it was something for the current fans to mull over and speculate.

I liked The Astounding Wolf-Man. I'm not even sure why, but I liked it. I think I'll buy the second issue if I can afford to.

Rumour's power *is* a lot of fun, and could make for some interesting stories, but Umberella Academy didn't really grab me so I doubt I'll pick it up again.

Did anyone else get that Hack/Slash preview with the Family Guy comic? Man, that was the wrong one to read during my lunch hour.

Damn, I missed that Family Guy comic, but I think my wife grabbed a copy for her niece. Hack Slash sounds like a cool thing to read

Not really FCBD related, but did anyone get the Madame Mirage preview today? The art on that looks fucking awesome.

wwtMask on