As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOTA 2] Beta ongoing. Keys going out regularly. Join the PennyArcade channel!

SkabSkab Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Games and Technology
Dota2_news.jpg

Quick History Lesson
Defense of the Ancents was originally created in Warcraft 3 by the mapmaker Eul, and was based off of the Starcraft custom game Aeon of Strife. When WC3: The Frozen Throne was released Eul stopped updating the map, which then caused a flood of different varients to appear across battle.net. Among them was DotA Allstars, which was created by Guinsoo, which became main version that we have today. During Guinsoos time, Pendragon came along and made dota-allstars.com in reponse to the need for a main dedicated website for the growing community. With version 6.01, Guinsoo passed authorship off to Icefrog, who started adding new heroes, items, mechanics and fixes, and still runs the game to this day.

Guinsoo and Pendragon would later go on to work at Riot and help create League of Legends, while Icefrog and Eul would go on to work at Valve and are now working on Dota 2.

Dota 2 is the sequel to that popular Warcraft 3 custom game that has since spawned an entire genre with the likes of League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth. If you have played either of those games then you have a basic idea of how things work.

Gameplay will remain true to the original Dota, but will take advantage of everything the source engine and Steam have to offer. Besides better graphics, this means things like reconnecting, being able to spectate any match currently in progress even while waiting in que for matchmaking, and no longer having this happen to you
rage6.gif

"Hey, I'm freaking amazing at LoL so I should be good at this too, right?"
Not exactly. While at their core they are similar, there are some some key differences that make the meta/feel/pace different. Some of these include things like denying, gold loss on death, towers behaving differently, runes, a larger map, a str/agi/int based stat system, more active/useable items, and more.

If you have never played the original Dota, are interested in Dota 2, and have a copy of The Frozen Throne sitting around, first read this:
Page- wrote:
Start here, supplement it with this, this, and this.

Individual hero guides can be found in the hero's page.

If you want to start learning the mechanics early and don't feel like jumping straight into pubs, then use this. (I will play this with anyone and help them learn).

If you want to learn more about the metagame then you'll have to start with wc3 dota as well, but since half the heroes aren't in dota 2 yet, you may be spoiling yourself. They'll all be there eventually, though.
and then start bothering Page- to get some games going.

Heroes & Items

There are currently 104 heroes in Dota, and while all of them will be coming over to Dota 2, only about half of the hero pool is available in the current beta build. Use the two links below to read up on the full list of heroes and items in the game. New heroes will be added in the future as well.
http://www.playdota.com/heroes
http://www.playdota.com/items

Other Useful Links
http://blog.dota2.com/ Main Dota 2 site/blog
http://www.dotafire.com/ In the future will have hero build guides, so keep an eye out as we get further into beta/release
http://dota2.solomid.net/ Same as above.

If you are interested in watching some streaming matches of the Dota 2 beta, go here for a list of active ones.

Announcement art (also in the valve store as posters)
dota2_onesheet_drowranger.jpg

dota2_onesheet_lina.jpg

dota2_onesheet_morphling.jpg

dota2_onesheet_bloodseeker.jpg

(This OP is a work in progress, more info will be added as more people are able to get their hands on the game.)

steam_sig.png
Skab on

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    what the fuck

is happening

what

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there more than one gaming acronym for dota? If not, this is really weird.

Javen on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    groovy

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    icefrog(creator of dota) is working for valve

so this could mean

fucking awesome shit

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Edit: Beat

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The current developer for dota was hired to make a game for valve a bit ago.

My guess is that the duke nukem va was recording new domination soundbites, due to the quake sounds not being valve's property.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i wonder whether it's going to be copy of dota like HoN or similar but different like LoL

Fuga on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    makin' bacon

Nuzak on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What I'm most surprised about is that it was valve who picked this guy up instead of blizzard. You would think they'd be interested in cashing in on this huge new niche that is picking up steam when the original brand is so intrinsically tied to their product, and most likely contributed to a huge amount of their sales.

Though I do suppose valve has a history of picking up indie developers, considering how integral the modding community is to their past and continued success.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Since Icefrog has said repeatedly that he'll keep working on WC3 dota (and has kept working on it) even while starting on this new game, and as long as there are people playing it, I'd assume it will be similar but different. I'm guessing he'll actually use a new engine to do things he couldn't do with WC3, unlike HoN, and more like LoL.

Still, it's good to see some news that the project is moving forward. Icefrog just finished one of the biggest dota updates in recent memory, so it's hard to believe he's got a lot of time to do other games. Everything must still be in the concept phase.

Blizzard might have hired Icefrog, but then they'd probably have to make his maps premium (cost $), and they've said before that they didn't want dota to be premium. I don't think he's said much about working on SC2 dota at all, so someone else will have to pick up the slack.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not necessarily page. He's been working with Valve for a decent amount of time now, and before E3 when people were speculating that it was going to be his game that would be the surprise he said no but that he'd have some news on it soon.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Since Icefrog has said repeatedly that he'll keep working on WC3 dota (and has kept working on it) even while starting on this new game, and as long as there are people playing it, I'd assume it will be similar but different. I'm guessing he'll actually use a new engine to do things he couldn't do with WC3, unlike HoN, and more like LoL.

Hon is on its own engine and can do plenty that WC3 cant.
    Blizzard might have hired Icefrog, but then they'd probably have to make his maps premium (cost $), and they've said before that they didn't want dota to be premium. I don't think he's said much about working on SC2 dota at all, so someone else will have to pick up the slack.

A long while back he actually came right out and said that he would not be making Dota for SC2

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I thought he might have said that, but I couldn't remember if it was before or after the Valve announcement. They certainly dovetail nicely.

And yes, HoN has its own engine. But they're not really DOING anything with it, in game, that couldn't be done with WC3, even if it would take more work in WC3. Nearly every real change has to do with the UI and game browser, which is fine. I'm just expecting that IceFrog will actually use a new engine to do things that he never could before.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Still, it's good to see some news that the project is moving forward. Icefrog just finished one of the biggest dota updates in recent memory, so it's hard to believe he's got a lot of time to do other games. Everything must still be in the concept phase.

Well obviously he's not working on DotA 2 solo. Valve wouldn't just hire him and then make him do a commercial game all by himself, there's bound to be a bunch of people at Valve who liked DotA and wanted to do a proper one of those and decided that they might as well hire Icefrog for the team.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Well obviously he's not working on DotA 2 solo. Valve wouldn't just hire him and then make him do a commercial game all by himself, there's bound to be a bunch of people at Valve who liked DotA and wanted to do a proper one of those and decided that they might as well hire Icefrog for the team.

Of course. He's not going to come up with all the art assets, design and code a new game engine, do the voice work and flavour text, write a background, and keep updating WC3 dota all at the same time. But he's still the one in charge and I'll assume that nothing moves forward without him, at least on a design level, and he's got the final say in everything. There wouldn't be any point in hiring him otherwise.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe it's just me, but uh, is this news really worth giving a shit about?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    if you enjoy the dota

then yes

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Only in the sense that its the first indication since the original announcement of IceFrog being hired that anything is actually happening with the game.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As long as this dude is hired to write the soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OzWIFX8M-Y

Captain K on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Only in the sense that's its the first indication since the original announcement of IceFrog being hired that anything is actually happening with the game.

Oh, well in that regard it's kinda cool to know. But the voice acting is like... so what?

Henroid on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Captain K wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXKd7uuehlw&feature=related

"loading babe"

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    the opponent's we're sleeping

Captain K on
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What the hell is Dread of the Apple anyway?

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    it's very similar to demise of the apricot

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If its a new Dota type game, i hope they go with an artstyle similar to TF2, i really like it.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh god please I hope not.

And they won't.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What does DOTA stand for?

slash000 on
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dichotomy of the Asses

Brian on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    slash000 wrote: »

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    defense of the ancients

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Defense of the Ancients, but no one calls it that.

If whatever Icefrog is working on at Valve really is something like DotA, I wouldn't have expected them to use the DotA name. It's just so heavily tied to WC3. Guess I might be wrong.

I think it's funny how for a very long time there has been nothing else like DotA and suddenly there's Demigod, Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    well...

demigod did come out quite some time ago

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Captain K wrote: »

daddy dj please take me to the party

and let me dance along until the lights are on

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, but can you name more games similar to DotA than those three? I can't.

Peewi on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

Defense of the Ancients, but no one calls it that.

Thanks.

slash000 on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh god please I hope not.

And they won't.

IT'S GOING TO BE A TF2 DOTA GAME.

enjoy

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If they made DotA in the TF2 universe I would buy it despite being terrible at and hating DotA.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Id rather them set it in the Half Life universe. Rebels Vs Combine style.

And instead of the Frozen Throne for the good guys to kill, it could be a combine Advisor!

...and one of the heroes could be Dog!

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Skab wrote: »
    Id rather them set it in the Half Life universe. Rebels Vs Combine style.

And instead of the Frozen Throne for the good guys to kill, it could be a combine Advisor!

...and one of the heroes could be Dog!

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    well...

demigod did come out quite some time ago

And guess who was dumb enough to buy that game?

Casually Hardcore on
This discussion has been closed.