As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brutal Legend - Monday Night Combat is apparently BL with GUNS

1111213141517»

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Endaro wrote: »
    Am i the only one who builds 2 nuns? most people build one, but i prefer two (especially on maps like coiled remains,pleasure gardens, and circle of tears) I find it pretty effective, but alot of people dont think so, My TC starting strategy goes like this

i que 2 nuns.
    plant agony boil somewhere
    que up one SK squad with one of the nuns
    EXACTLY at the halfway mark of the first SK que up SK squad #2 with other nun
    wait till SK squad 1 is approximatley 3/4 done
    martyrdom immediately, send the nun + SK squad 1 right
    wait for second squad to pop out
    special mission nun + SK squad 2 left
    harass/defend

2 nuns means 2 spawn points and you can choose which will be the main force and which one will be the empty leech grabbing force. I like this strategy and it works for me, but a lot of people tell me 2 battle nuns are a waste of fans :/

I usually use two as well though I would agree it is situational. Nuns are really cheap in both fans and population, and while I'm pretty positive their healing doesn't stack, it's always good to have a backup in case an avatar manages to take one down. The healing they provide to surrounding units is not something you can afford to lose.

I also like to do so on maps like pleasure gardens where I can send out a squad/army down both sides, rather then slowly moving a large force.

umm..... i didnt know nuns healed surrounding units, i know they ARE healed by surrounding units, and i know warfathers and overblessers heal, but i was always sure battle nuns DIDNT heal their minions... hmm, do they? i never knew that...... :?

She does indeed. No where near as fast as they heal her (which is ridiculous), but all of the command units heal.

Endaro on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Am i the only one who builds 2 nuns? most people build one, but i prefer two (especially on maps like coiled remains,pleasure gardens, and circle of tears) I find it pretty effective, but alot of people dont think so, My TC starting strategy goes like this

i que 2 nuns.
    plant agony boil somewhere
    que up one SK squad with one of the nuns
    EXACTLY at the halfway mark of the first SK que up SK squad #2 with other nun
    wait till SK squad 1 is approximatley 3/4 done
    martyrdom immediately, send the nun + SK squad 1 right
    wait for second squad to pop out
    special mission nun + SK squad 2 left
    harass/defend

2 nuns means 2 spawn points and you can choose which will be the main force and which one will be the empty leech grabbing force. I like this strategy and it works for me, but a lot of people tell me 2 battle nuns are a waste of fans :/

I usually use two as well though I would agree it is situational. Nuns are really cheap in both fans and population, and while I'm pretty positive their healing doesn't stack, it's always good to have a backup in case an avatar manages to take one down. The healing they provide to surrounding units is not something you can afford to lose.

I also like to do so on maps like pleasure gardens where I can send out a squad/army down both sides, rather then slowly moving a large force.

umm..... i didnt know nuns healed surrounding units, i know they ARE healed by surrounding units, and i know warfathers and overblessers heal, but i was always sure battle nuns DIDNT heal their minions... hmm, do they? i never knew that...... :?

She does indeed. No where near as fast as they heal her (which is ridiculous), but all of the command units heal.

I think Kor said even the Tick Choppers produce a healing effect around units. I never pay attention.

I always make one Battle Nun, and Immediately plant an Agony Boil. People fall for it again and again and again. Agony Boil is amazing for defensive purposes, anywhere you are building units, or where your ranged units are digging in.

They fall for that one every time!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    player34565player34565 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ENOUGH WITH THIS QUOTE PYRAMID! Ive tried doing the agony boil trick... if the enemy fly's low to the ground near it. it explodes! plus they usually see it and do guitar attacks from a distance >: ( Though i did take the tip on planting it near Punishing Party's and it works great.

Sometimes i make it really noticable that im planting a boil, so the avatar flies down to try to kill me and explode the boil, but in the middle of our fight the boil explodes, does decent damage to them, and holds them still long enough for me to get a free 50 fans 8-)

player34565 on
    THE DOOM DORKS
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
    "DROWN WITH ME"

player34565: 1000/108
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ENOUGH WITH THIS QUOTE PYRAMID! Ive tried doing the agony boil trick... if the enemy fly's low to the ground near it. it explodes! plus they usually see it and do guitar attacks from a distance >: ( Though i did take the tip on planting it near Punishing Party's and it works great.

Sometimes i make it really noticable that im planting a boil, so the avatar flies down to try to kill me and explode the boil, but in the middle of our fight the boil explodes, does decent damage to them, and holds them still long enough for me to get a free 50 fans 8-)

Thats why you use it for defensive purposes. Make it so units are spawning around it to confuse opponents, and in places where Punishing parties or any slow unit is digging in, and let enemies come to them. Agony Boils are awful as roadside bombs.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Cantido wrote: »

Thats why you use it for defensive purposes. Make it so units are spawning around it to confuse opponents, and in places where Punishing parties or any slow unit is digging in, and let enemies come to them. Agony Boils are awful as roadside bombs.
    awful as roadside bombs? they can take out 5 squads of tier 1 infantry for christ sake!

player34565 on
    THE DOOM DORKS
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
    "DROWN WITH ME"

• Options
    Colly LeslieColly Leslie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

awful as roadside bombs? they can take out 5 squads of tier 1 infantry for christ sake!

I agree with Cantido that they don't make good roadside bombs. No player worth their salt is going to let their forces run into a mature boil. Admittedly, on an area where units have to funnel through to take resources (thinking double-geyser area in the Feeding Grounds) they'll have to either take the hit from the boil or slowly lose the economic advantage. Thing is though, avatars can take the boils out by flying low before they have the chance to explode.

Colly Leslie on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, I gave Lionwhyte's palace a second shot, and I went from "this game must just not be for me" to "fuck this game". So many nuisances when in stage battles it makes it very much not fun at all.

I hope to God that Tim Schafer makes his next game a straight up adventure because I fucking hate the RTS elements of this game.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So, I gave Lionwhyte's palace a second shot, and I went from "this game must just not be for me" to "fuck this game". So many nuisances when in stage battles it makes it very much not fun at all.

I hope to God that Tim Schafer makes his next game a straight up adventure because I fucking hate the RTS elements of this game.

One of the four new games is another Action/RTS, but perhaps one of the other three will be up your alley.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hold on. Just making sure:

Did you use the advice I wrote you up earlier? Because that's an easy fight and Tim Curry makes his big entrance afterward and things gets crazy. The same map is available in multiplayer for AI practice.

You can pretty much mass your whole army, geyser by geyser, cast Facemelter is anything slips past and attacks a booth, summon your car for extra weapons (you can't do that in multiplayer) then have Roadies crack the gun towers at the top of the stairs. I beat it my first try on the highest difficulty. Here is someone beating it in less than 15 minutes, which is slow for my tastes, but watch how he does it.

And use those Double Teams when Battle Cry is cast:

Headbangers - slap around infantry
    Razor Girls - Powerful shot. During Battle Cry, can kill much more quickly
    Lemmy - Stun enemies for about 15 seconds, great for preparing the enemy for Facemelter.
    Headsplitter - New to this mission. Fires rapid, exploding arrows
    Bouncer - a big shockwave that can severly damage cars and send infantry flying
    Roadie - Shockwaves that send enemies flying and damage enemy booths (or those gun towers) much more rapidly

Pleasure Gardens

The game tends to click with people when they get the solo that summons the Hindenburg on top of their enemies...

Cantido on
  • Options
    Sacred FatmanSacred Fatman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I always use one nun because the second one is a waste of fans if you plan right. On most maps I make 1 nun, 2 soulkissers and 1 PP. When the first soulkisser is 3/4 of the way done I use matrydom and send to the rightmost geyser. Then i plant an agony boil infront of the middle geyser and send the nun and other units too it. On feeding area and bleeding coast I make my units with one nun and send it to the single geyser, and on dooms mire I use a punishing party to take the geyser by the bridge while sending the rest of my army to the first geyser.

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm watching The Runaways. The Razor Girls were going to be called that, but...y'know. Lawsuits. The movie is incredibly depressing, but you can see where Lita Ford got her start before she was setting infantry on fire and abducting mates. :P She's actually one of the more reasonable members and takes a backseat to the more ****ed up members.

The Runaways

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I come back from work only to find out Tim Schafer was playing online. And he got curbstomped by mikey. I could have played with Tim Of Legend.

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I would have kicked the shit out of him without buzzsaws and dueces.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I come back from work only to find out Tim Schafer was playing online. And he got curbstomped by mikey. I could have played with Tim Of Legend.

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I would have kicked the shit out of him without buzzsaws and dueces.

XD

player34565 on
    THE DOOM DORKS
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
    "DROWN WITH ME"

• Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just dropping in to see if the Artbook was officially canned?

klok on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    klok wrote: »
    Just dropping in to see if the Artbook was officially canned?

The sequel was officially canned by EA (and they just started working on it too). Can't say about the artbook. Actually, there's a lot of news on the last page. Double Fine is making four new games, each with a smaller budget, and each one already signed. Double Fine wants a little break from large publishers fucking with them at the moment.

That's Microsoft, Activision and EA.

Tim Schafer called Bobby Kotick a prick who is killing the industry. Articles came out saying he retracts that, Tim responded that's a lie. He was simply giving a speech to budding developers that saying stuff like that is an easy way to burn bridges. Tim merely danced upon the flames.

Of the four games, one is led by Brad Muir. It will have MP like Brutal Legend. All four games use the BL engine, and all four have components of the AAA title that they were denied.

y'know what would have made good material for a sequel? That Ironheade takes a boat, travels West, and lands in New York City...realizing that their home in The Age of Metal was in the early 70's the whole time, and then world domination ensues. They kill Ronald Reagan.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    A new game with stage battles would be cool but the main reason brutal legend is so great is because of the metal.

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    A new game with stage battles would be cool but the main reason brutal legend is so great is because of the metal.

i know!

no jack black???? bleh.... no metal? bleh..... no BRUTALNESS? bleh....

player34565 on
    THE DOOM DORKS
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
    "DROWN WITH ME"

• Options
    edited July 2010

i know!

no jack black???? bleh.... no metal? bleh..... no BRUTALNESS? bleh....

A more finely tuned Action RTS? I'll take that. Double Fine is not going to have the money for licensing that many songs any time soon. Jeez, I must be the only person on the planet who got BL specifically for the multiplayer. I was messing around in MP before I finished the campaign.

Anyway, I've played games like BL before. Battlezone was about the Cold War being fought on the moon. With Hovertanks. And Sacrifice, (Brutal Legend's closest cousin) was a hilarious game about how the 5 factions (four of them being evil) almost destroyed the world in a flashback. That game was famous for it's crazy monsters.

Sacrifice

I don't care how they dress up the Stage Battles in a new IP, as long as it works better. Better leaderboards and matchmaking? Yes please. The minimap so many people want? Yeah baby. No more DC exploit? Yummy. And Double Fine can do no wrong designing new units, characters, and factions.

Shit. If Activision announced Battlezone 3, I'd drop BL so hard. Battlezone runs circles around Brutal Legend: There are NO INFANTRY. It's entirely vehicle driven. I love BL dearly for reviving the genre, but there's no way in hell it can compare to Battlezone. I am very exited to see what kinds of tweaking we're going to see from this new game.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yes I do. I see lots of new players from the UK actually. But not right now. I have a lot of college at the moment, and will be experimenting with Starcraft 2 when I have a break. My BL copy isn't going anywhere: It's put away with Sacrifice and Battlezone 1&2.

It turns out it's not just Tim's birthday, but the 10 year anniversary of Double Fine. That's two games, and being fucked by three publishers. That's gotta be a record. I can't wait to see the videos of their next four. He says if he gains extra money from these hits, he might self publish.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well it does run on old machines. My computer was chugging during the story mode Zerg rushes. I'll mess around with it more after all this...college.
    sc_778_Special.jpg

Cantido on
  • Options
    MorkaiMorkai Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah man. I can't play. no internet at my house for the summer. kinda lame. at least I'm making bank, working and stuff.

Morkai on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mikey is setting up a 2v2 tournament at double fine. Does anyone want to be my partner?

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Exam week! NO.

Also, a customer told me Brutal Legend's concept reminded him of MAG, for Ps3, which is more like a console Natural Selection. Why don't I hear about these things?

Cantido on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Uh, MAG is just an FPS, no? But with lots of people?

And I heard it wasn't so great.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When you have people working together it does have some Natural selection elements to it. The way diffrent officers change the flow of things. Ultimatly it depends of the people under them actualy following the objectives that makes a good round or a tragic comedy.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This is amazing.

?ACT=36&fid=10&aid=1492_6gLGpeLoDqEsNb1XHybS&board_id=1

Somebody needs to do one that makes BL look like Starcraft.

Cantido on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thats awesome are there any more?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Not of BL, but the rest are awesome.

Also, Tim Schafer wants you all to see how metal his father is:
    cVO4xN

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I just found out that that generic looking Monday Night Combat...ISN'T.

It turned out to be Brutal Legend with GUNS.

When the demo comes out, I'll be trying a few demo matches, and if it's as deep, intense, and insane as Brutal Legend, I will happily hang up BL.

Also, you can bring Guests online :D

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This morning has been great in terms of quality of the matches. I played six games in a row with people over trueskill 26 and two of them were 30s.

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This morning has been great in terms of quality of the matches. I played six games in a row with people over trueskill 26 and two of them were 30s.

Must have been a lot of UK players then.

Crabbas and Blackgenma are going to eat this up. They are top players in both Guilty Gear 2 and Brutal Legend, and Monday Night Combat seems to have properties of both.

How it's like GG2

- Directly clones DotA
    - Units passively spawning and moving to their objective and cancel out opposing units.
    - Spend resources on units, or yourself.
    - Only your army can hurt the base. Lu Bu can suck it. Once the shield is down though...

How it's like BL
    - BIG OPEN FIELDS. Hero unit is free to bounce around or fly, is not confined to the same paths the units take, and can attack from anywhere.
    - Always one side vs another.

What it does differently from both
    - Defense towers.
    - No factions whatsoever. It's Red vs Blue. GG2 had five, and BL had three. This has one. D:
    - Hero units come in classes. Lets hope they are balanced, because the one you choose changes up what you can do in a 1 on 1 match.
    - Can go onto six versus six matches.
    - Party game elements (that mascot dropping resources)
    - MOAR DAKKA
    - No metal. Japanese or Western :x
    - No resource nodes. Money collected on the ground.

How its like Psychonauts
    - Bacon is important.

I will have to play it to get a feel for the power ratio between a hero unit and army units and see to which game it leans, and to find out what the penalty for death is. In GG2, death is a severe penalty (your base sacrifices life for you) but your hero is godly. In BL, your hero should not be diving in alone, but death just gives the opponent resources, so that leans more toward BL. I'm interested to see what the hero units can and cannot kill on their own.

We also see a map demonstrating what's going on, but no in-game command map. I'm wondering if there is no command ability at all. I'm going to miss commanding units dearly.

Clearly it's an LOL RTS.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Devs should have to pass a test before being allowed to show off their own games. Being awful at your own game while commenting on the things you can do in-game is not a good way to get attention. Really, just have someone else play who can actually play and comment on that.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Devs should have to pass a test before being allowed to show off their own games. Being awful at your own game while commenting on the things you can do in-game is not a good way to get attention. Really, just have someone else play who can actually play and comment on that.

If I demonstrated Brutal Legend, I would be buying units, commanding and choosing spells faster than the eye can see, and than what new players can comprehend. Here is Brad Muir shredding at Brutal Legend. He's the father of the Stage Battles.

Mr. Moo Moo spamming barons.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey Cantido mikey wants you to join the 2v2 tournament. Also anyone here is welcome to join, we need more skilled players. you can sign up on doublefine.com

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    hey guys, ive been doing a lot of IH lately, and whats the best starting strategy for them? i usually either:

Que up 3 hb's
    Place rally flag at center geyser
    Send first HB to rightmost geyser
    Send second to leftmost geyser
    Harass
    get a Thunderhog out asap

or:

place rally flag in center
    que up 1 headbanger squad, a razorgirl squad, and another headbanger squad
    Harass
    get another headbanger squad when you have enough fans and send right
    Harass
    build only razorgirl squads from there on IF you need back up to your main force (only razorgirls because they stand a much better chance vs tier 2's if they can tech up before you do, barons,skullrakers,etc....)
    Harass

just wondering which works more effective for you guys, or if you have any other cool IH tactics

player34565 on
    THE DOOM DORKS
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
    "DROWN WITH ME"

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I Que up three headbangers
    place rally plag at the center
    send the first squad to the right geyser
    Harass
    send the first headbanger squad to the center geyser when they kill the leach
    Help my headbangers out at the center geyser, there is probably a big fight going on there

If all goes well i have two geysers and hopefully a feW headbangers left, witch I send to the last geyser. I used to send one squad to each geyser, but they are too susceptible to avatar harassment that way.

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, the fact of the matter is, regardless of your startup, your units will ALWAYS be subject to harassment.

I'm the three HB startup type

Plant flag at center,

Move to the left, then the right, simply because HB's will spawn on either side of the stage in alternating patterns. if I get an Avatar kill off early, I opt for a thunderhog.

At any rate, I usually attack whichever squad will reach a geyser first.

Morkai on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dude, I can't No more Gold. lol.

Chill out, I'll be back on in about a month or two.

Morkai on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I can't be an evil doer. I'm Ironheade.

Morkai on
This discussion has been closed.