As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metroid: Other M - let's talk about Samus' body some more guys

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well yeah, the stupid part is that Samus appears to take offense.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ripley was never a post-feminist -- those movies were all about her dealing with shitty men. Can't see why Samus would be different.

Because it hasn't happened in the other games?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The twist is she gave birth to a baby Metroid and had to get an abortion, which is no good since the Galactic Federation is a conservative organization.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »

Not really she's just being Female Stereotype Beta. She's hard headed and out to prove herself

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Not really she's just being Female Stereotype Beta. She's hard headed and out to prove herself

And that's not stupid how

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

And that's not stupid how

Because in the flashbacks she's like 19 and she's trying to do exactly that?

King Riptor on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just don't look forward to putting up with those cutscenes again. I mean, I get that they're trying to push the story, and I didn't find them so bad the first time... I just don't want to have to watch the whole thing over and over and over again.

My problem with the cutscenes isn't so much the length, (they just seemed a lot longer by the 3rd time I had to sit through them), but the content.

Precisely. You look at your watch, and not that much time has passed. But through repetition... ugh.

I think when I get the game, that will be my fifth, maybe sixth time seeing Samus meet the others. I am not looking forward to it.

Samus was always a kind of post feminist character. We were shocked to learn at the end of Metroid that she was female, but, with in the Metroid universe, it wasn't shocking. She was never treated as anything special because she was a female bounty hunter. She was special because she was the best bounty hunter.

But the story line in Other M, all of a sudden she's GI Jane trying to prove her self in a male dominated military. Granted it's flashbacks, but still, this super advanced space society is suddenly misogynistic, as if that's the only way to give Samus depth. It's a lazy cliched storyline, from what I've seen so far.
    In some fairness, she was not only female, but young and surprisingly short.
    I don't know what you've seen, but I played the demo at comic con, in one of the cutscenes
    It flashes back to training and talks about how Adam would always uses the phrase "any objections ladies?" and Samus, the only woman in her unit, would always thumbs down the plan as a matter of feminist defiance or something.
    Yeah . . . That's how Drill seargents or COls tend to talk
    "Lady," actually. He was referring to Samus specifically, it was like a nickname he had for her.

Thinking back, Anthony ("Remember me?") also had one for her: "Princess."

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i'm callin it now - i bet this game is going to be surprisingly awesome. all you whiners are gonna love it! and then what will you be?! satisfied! That's what!

Guek on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ripley was never a post-feminist -- those movies were all about her dealing with shitty men. Can't see why Samus would be different.

The Alien/s name-dropping has happened in pretty much every Metroid game. It's like pretending that MGS doesn't have specific films that it riffs on over and over.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In some fairness, she was not only female, but young and surprisingly short.

Wait did they shrink Samus? Isn't she normally like 6'1"?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    She is indeed suppose to be tall.

This, however, could be one of those design decisions Nintendo conceded to get the game made by a third party. :?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I mean it's not really a big deal

I guess

I just have a hard time thinking up a good reason for it?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The good reason for it is Japanese men like petite women with gigantic breasts.

... No wait I'm sorry that's a terrible reason.

But y'know. Creative liberties and such.

Henroid on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

The Alien/s name-dropping has happened in pretty much every Metroid game. It's like pretending that MGS doesn't have specific films that it riffs on over and over.

Not talking about aliens not sure why you are. I'm talking about her being treated different for being female.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

This, however, could be one of those design decisions Nintendo conceded to get the game made by a third party. :?

But the Metroid team is still making it.

This always confuses me: It seems like ever since the Team Ninja logo popped up in the first trailer, everyone assumes that Nintendo just passed it off to them a la Retro, when it's a joint effort between Nintendo SPD Group No.1 and Team Ninja (with another team putting together FMV; wiki says D-Rockets)

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay, but Team Ninja doing the FMVs is still relevant to what I said - they've skewed Samus' physique, and were given the green light by Nintendo.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lanz wrote: »

This always confuses me: It seems like ever since the Team Ninja logo popped up in the first trailer, everyone assumes that Nintendo just passed it off to them a la Retro, when it's a joint effort between Nintendo SPD Group No.1 and Team Ninja (with another team putting together FMV; wiki says D-Rockets)

Funny, when I hear "d rockets" I automatically think of Team Ninja

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Now people are hating on the game due to feminism issues and Samus being the wrong hight?

This is just getting silly now. :?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Now people are hating on the game due to feminism issues and Samus being the wrong hight?

We can't argue about the actual merits and flaws of Other M before it releases. So.... we gotta argue 'bout somethin!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I'm not hating on the game because of the height change

just seems like a dumb thing to change is all

obviously it won't affect gameplay

but still

kinda pointless

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'm not hating on the game because of the height change

just seems like a dumb thing to change is all

obviously it won't affect gameplay

but still

kinda pointless

Talking about it being pointless is pointless.

I mean we could talk about a million pointless changes and it wouldn't affect anything or be a good discussion.

Like, why is her hair a few shades different from the Brawl version? Why is her first person visor a bit different in design from Prime? Why is her ship slightly different from previous games? Why are the space pirates a little bit different? Who cares?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »

Funny, when I hear "d rockets" I automatically think of Team Ninja

More like double d rockets, right?

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    More like double d rockets, right?

thumbdown.png

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2010

As Tycho would say, "my world view" allows for me to have complaints while still being excited in general. :?

Henroid on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Is she only shorter in the outsourced FMV?

That would probably explain it, then. They were probably just told "she should have this color hair and kinda look this way" and they just went with the trope of women being shorter.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe she is still 6 feet tall but everyone else is 7 feet tall

Lemming on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe she's just got Ds and everyone else has DDs.

I'll stop now.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    We'll know for sure what the intent was when we beat the game and see her eject from the suit in some manner or another.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I thought she was 6 feet in the suit and 5'6 or so out of it?

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

something something else about things being bigger when out of the suit something something

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Okay. Just one thing.

You've seen the suit. Fits her torso well, her legs down to her feet, and up to her shoulders (at which point the suit expands).

So unless the shoulder pads are causing people to change where they measure to, how exactly does the suit change her body structure? Snapping her limbs away from her body?

Edit - Typo.

Henroid on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The woman can roll into the shape of a sphere. I'm not sure you can make many assumptions about how she fits in the suit.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The woman can roll into the shape of a sphere. I'm not sure you can make many assumptions about how she fits in the suit.

I always liked how Metroid Prime dealt with that with the space pirates attempting to use that tech in the logs.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Okay. Just one thing.

You've seen the suit. Fits her torso well, her legs down to her feet, and up to her shoulders (at which point the suit expands).

So unless the shoulder pads are causing people to change where they measure to, how exactly does the suit change her body structure? Snapping her limbs away from her body?

Edit - Typo.

Something like that.

I'd assume her body merges with the suit and parts are moved into position with machinery filling the gaps.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No I just think she fits into the suit well and people measure her shoulderpads as part of the height.

Also she's naturally tall. And limber, agile, and strong.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

They're the main target market for the game? (Pretty sure no).

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

They're the main target market for the game? (Pretty sure no).

Also I'm pretty sure most men like that type of woman period.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No I just think she fits into the suit well and people measure her shoulderpads as part of the height.

Also she's naturally tall. And limber, agile, and strong.

My Idea is more science fictiony.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, I didn't think this thread could get any creepier but it's getting there fast.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Okay, I didn't think this thread could get any creepier but it's getting there fast.

What's creepy about it? That men like boobs? Or women that aren't all that tall?

Or that a Video game company decided to capitalize on those facts?

King Riptor on