As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mac Thread: Yes you can turn off the 3d glass effect! W/Y/H

ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
Temporary OP stolen from Crazy Old Morise. New one coming soon
Apple%20logo.JPG-thumb_273_205.jpg
THE OFFICIAL MACINTOSH THREAD.
for pretty much everything made by Apple that is not the iPod.

So I made the original thread when I first got my iMac Core Duo. Since then I've pretty much figured out what you need to get everything up to snuff.

Video Playback:

VLC: This will cover pretty much everything except QT. EDIT: VLC now handles WMV like a charm, so yay!

Flip4Mac: Plug this into QT to handle all your WMV/wmv streaming needs.

Torrents:

TransmissionLoads better than this other shit, does pretty much everything, though annoyingly doesn't let you pick individual files out of torrents. Native and lightweight though, with some decent features.

Azureus: My personal favorite, with a great suite of options, and it seems to have more success in general at connecting to trackers.

Bits on Wheels: Kinda bare-bones, but completely native, if thats your thing.

[Chat] software:

Adium: My personal favorite chat program, and probably the only one you'll need besides...

Snak: mIRC for the mac. Yessir.

Miscellaneous:

Connect 360: If you have an XBOX360, but not a PC, and want music etc. on your BOX, this is your program.

USB Overdrive: If you don't use the mighty mouse (and who could blame you?) or even if you do, you will probably like this plug in.

MediaForkBased on HandBrake, which used to be the best at ripping DVDs. Now this is, though it's about to be reforked in HandBrake.

gDiskAllows you to use your gMail account for storing files. Good to have a secure backup, and could potentially be sued to share files ( I tihnk. I'm still working on the details)

WhatSizeShows your hard drive ina fancy tree view letting you know where all that space has gone.

Also make sure to check out Apple's site now and then, they put up nice streams of all their keynotes, and have some great support.

So, yeah, ... macs rule.

ben0207 on

• ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Reserved for future maek poast

ben0207 on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anybody know if an Applecare plan covers scratches to the monitor for a Macbook Pro?

Probably not, but I can hope

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Has anyone else accidentally bent their Macbook Pro casing in a bad place? I think i must have pick it up with one hand or something, with my thumb on the right side right over the cd slot. Now the top strip of metal over the cd slot is bent down ever so slightly, so that it makes it very difficult to insert or eject cds/dvds without damaging them.

KalTorak on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Anybody know if an Applecare plan covers scratches to the monitor for a Macbook Pro?

Probably not, but I can hope
    I'm going to go with... no.

In MUCH better news, I'm now at my new job in a university. I have a 17" brand new Core 2 iMac, with Logitech thumb-ball mouse and a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard.

It's fucking WONDERFUL.

Plus: I got a big ass office all to myself. Yes.

Lewisham on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Waiting on an iMac revision before I pull the trigger on updating the G4 here.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited April 2007

Reckon there won't be one til 10.5 at this point.

I'd quite like a different design. We've had this one since the G5s.

ben0207 on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    open office port for OSX. just as powerful as MSOFFICE, but a whole lot freer
    http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

Onyx & various other admin programs -- free
    http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

mac the ripper, dvd ripper -- free
    http://www.mactheripper.org/

candy bar, let's you change sytem icons -- free demo, $12.99 to buy
    http://www.panic.com/candybar/
    ofcourse, you can man up and change 'em manually with a little terminal love pointed to /System/Library/CoreServices (somewhere around here, grep command on some png's)
    good idea, back up what you're about to fuck up.
    icons to use
    http://interfacelift.com/icons-mac/

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Dis_quietDis_quiet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I'm in the exact same position. Although I might just suck it up and buy one of the current models if they don't announce an update to the line at WWDC in June.

Dis_quiet on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My Macbook Pro dies after 10-15 minutes on battery.

This behavior started about two weeks ago.

When the thing dies, the battery usually displays about 3 lamps when I click it. Also, I can restart the computer again afterwards.

My battery was one of the ones replaced on the Sony thing (and it was making the computer behave weirdly before it was replaced).

My Apple Care (1 year) was up this March... I wonder if there's an extended warranty on the battery?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • polarbluepolarblue Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    how do you guys get your mbp screen clean?

polarblue on
    lost.jpg
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey guys. I'm currently looking for a cheapish Apple laptop, to do work on, and for a little media center (Watch movies, listen to music etc.)
    Soo..
    a) Whats optimal for what I want?
    b) Where should I buy it from?
    c) How much roughly?

Hope you can help. (Posted this in the old thread and no-body replied.

Rizzi on
    edited April 2007
    Doku-san wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm currently looking for a cheapish Apple laptop, to do work on, and for a little media center (Watch movies, listen to music etc.)
    Soo..
    a) Whats optimal for what I want?
    b) Where should I buy it from?
    c) How much roughly?

Hope you can help. (Posted this in the old thread and no-body replied.

Need a few more details but a Macbook or G4 iBook sounds fine.

ben0207 on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    OP needs:

Perian - enable playback of many common codecs such as DivX and XviD via Quicktime. Add in ogg vorbis and matroska components, and you're set for everything except multiple audio/subtitle tracks and x264, the latter of which will be supported by the next version of Perian (allegedly). Why would you want to use QT when VLC works? A number of reasons, including FrontRow/remote support, lack of bugs/kludginess, and iTunes.
    NicePlayer - A QuickTime player that's a fuckton better than QuickTime Player. Supports Apple Remote.
    Movies2iTunes - add any video file that QuickTime can play to your iTunes library.
    You can probably see how these fit together.

I don't get all the raving about Open/Neo Office. To me it seems like slow software, and completely lacks one feature that I absolutely must have in Word: the ability to work (and grammar and spellcheck) multiple languages in one document.

LoneIgadzra on
    edited April 2007
    I'll edit it all in when less drunk.

ben0207 on
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    OP needs:
    Deliciousness

I thank you greatly; Im hoping mp4 videos can be played in front row now!

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Has anyone used both Steermouse and USB Overdrive? I'm loving Steermouse, but everyone says I should switch to USB overdrive even though they've never used Steermouse.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • firesidefireside Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cross poasting this from the other thread:
    "One corner of my MacBook is sort of separated from the bottom of the case. Should I be worried? It's the corner where the little IR receiver is. It's only like half a millimeter but I'm still worried."

Also first post needs to add

Xee (best image viewer)

and

The Unarchiver . It's like BOMArchiveHelper but 150 times better. It supports pretty much every archive format and it doesnt blow like Stuffit

fireside on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    The only problem with The Unarchiver is SITX files (and the fucking morons who use them).

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm having kind of a weird mac problem today. I'm hoping maybe one of you guys can help me out.

I just got a new 24" iMac here in the office, which is pretty awesome. It also means that I'm taking pieces out of my old system and adding them to a co-worker's. The RAM was a piece of cake, took it out of one and put it in the other. What I'm having trouble with is the video card.

First of all, both of these machines are *old*. Like... 20th century old; The video card is a PCI ATI Rage128 pro. I went to ATI's website looking for drivers, but they're nowhere to be found. Is there some kind of generic ATI driver that I could use?

Antishow on
    edited May 2007
    Do you hav ethwe system restore discs? There'd be some drivers on those.

ben0207 on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, those 13 inch Mac Books are so... sexy.

I dunno if I'm ready to tackle an entirely new OS though.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Do you hav ethwe system restore discs? There'd be some drivers on those.

I'll take a look. Thanks! :)

Antishow on
  • Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    New question for everyone: I have an old Mini G4 that I've owned for a while now and has been running as a web server for a little over a year now. Apart from lightning frying the ethernet port a long time ago (which got covered under warranty), I've never had a single issue with this machine--it has performed beautifully, both as a work/play machine and as a webserver.

Until yesterday. At first, it was intermittent issues, where it would act like the hard drive suddenly disappeared (machine would respond locally, but couldn't open any apps or new windows or even menus, and nothing remote worked). Restarted a few times, still kept happening, figured (and hoped) it was just a corrupt file somewhere, so I ran a full disk check from the Tiger disks (no errors) and then reinstalled 10.4 from scratch and immediately installed the .9 combo update. Well, while waiting for the restart after the combo update, it did it again, and *now* when I restart, even when trying to boot from the Tiger DVD (which worked before), it just shows the "no"/"no boot device" icon.

Haven't tried connecting via firewire yet in Target disk mode to see if I can find anything there, but since it won't boot from the DVD anymore, it doesn't seem likely to be the hard drive failling, does it?

Could the motherboard itself have gone bad? Or at least the IDE controller? It seems very unlikely, esp. that either of those would fail before any other part on the system...but it's the only thing I can think of that fits the symptoms...?

Any suggestions or brainstorms would be appreciated. I've switched my site to another backup machine for now, but the Mini made the perfect machine for it, plus it's my lil Mini, so I'd like to get it back up and running if possible.

Thanks!
    --mcn

Mathew Burrack on
    "Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
    edited May 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »

Eh, take the plunge. You know you want to :)

Seriously, tho, it's not really a plunge, more like a tiny splash with a few toes. Seriously, my wife, who is completely non computer savvy in the extreme (or was, at the time) had never used anything but XP--even just the small changes in 2k threw her off, she was that skittish about computers, and she was able to adjust to OS X in about a week, tops.

Besides, if you really end up not liking OS X, at least you still have possibly one of the sexiest laptops around to run Windows on :)

--mcn

Mathew Burrack on
    "Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
    edited May 2007

Eh, take the plunge. You know you want to :)

Seriously, tho, it's not really a plunge, more like a tiny splash with a few toes. Seriously, my wife, who is completely non computer savvy in the extreme (or was, at the time) had never used anything but XP--even just the small changes in 2k threw her off, she was that skittish about computers, and she was able to adjust to OS X in about a week, tops.

Besides, if you really end up not liking OS X, at least you still have possibly one of the sexiest laptops around to run Windows on :)

--mcn

Hehe, that's very true.
    I might have found something to spend my tax return on.

We'll see :P

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    Antishow wrote: »
    First of all, both of these machines are *old*. Like... 20th century old; The video card is a PCI ATI Rage128 pro. I went to ATI's website looking for drivers, but they're nowhere to be found. Is there some kind of generic ATI driver that I could use?

What machine are you moving from/to? If they're both Macs, OS X *should* still have generic ATI drivers in them (unless they stopped getting bundled in Tiger; I know they were still there in 10.2, and possibly 10.3 as well).

If one of them is a PC though, you might have to flash the card's ROM as well. Not sure on the exact procedure for that, but I'm sure google could fill in the blanks here.

(yeah, bored, just replying to posts I see unanswered so far lol)

--mcn

Mathew Burrack on
    edited May 2007

Lucky you. <insert obligatory reminder to check for student discounts, even if it's been ages since you've been a student>

--mcn

Mathew Burrack on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Any of you guys know a shop in the Toronto area (or if Apple does it itself) which will allow me to trade in my iMac for a MacBook or MacBook Pro? There are even odds that I will be headed to South Korea for the next year, and it would be a pain in the ass to bring my iMac with me.

oldmanken on
    edited May 2007

Lucky you. <insert obligatory reminder to check for student discounts, even if it's been ages since you've been a student>

--mcn

I currently am a student. Thanks for the reminder :lol:

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, it might technically be fraud, but if ordering straight from Apple the student discount is like 8 - 10 percent at least, and easy as fuck to get.

Also, Mathew, people don't sign their posts round here. Use your signature.

ben0207 on
    edited May 2007

What machine are you moving from/to? If they're both Macs, OS X *should* still have generic ATI drivers in them (unless they stopped getting bundled in Tiger; I know they were still there in 10.2, and possibly 10.3 as well).

If one of them is a PC though, you might have to flash the card's ROM as well. Not sure on the exact procedure for that, but I'm sure google could fill in the blanks here.

(yeah, bored, just replying to posts I see unanswered so far lol)

--mcn

Both machines are Graphite Power Mac G4's, which is why I expected to be able to just move the card from one to the other without any problems. Now that I read the Wikipedia page though, I see that these shipped with nVidia cards, which might be my problem...

Antishow on
    edited May 2007
    This is more posts than I've ever posted here before basically, so I never even bothered with a sig before. lol. but thanks for the tip.

--mcn

Mathew Burrack on
    edited May 2007
    Both machines are Graphite Power Mac G4's, which is why I expected to be able to just move the card from one to the other without any problems. Now that I read the Wikipedia page though, I see that these shipped with nVidia cards, which might be my problem...

Running what OS? There are a few options for those machines :)

If they're the same OS though, you should be able to just copy over the drivers from one to the other (worst case). For OS9, they should be under the System suitcase -> Extensions (iirc), and under OS X, they should be under /System/Library/Extensions.

Worth a shot, at least.

Mathew Burrack on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    New question for everyone: I have an old Mini G4 that I've owned for a while now and has been running as a web server for a little over a year now. Apart from lightning frying the ethernet port a long time ago (which got covered under warranty), I've never had a single issue with this machine--it has performed beautifully, both as a work/play machine and as a webserver.

Until yesterday. At first, it was intermittent issues, where it would act like the hard drive suddenly disappeared (machine would respond locally, but couldn't open any apps or new windows or even menus, and nothing remote worked). Restarted a few times, still kept happening, figured (and hoped) it was just a corrupt file somewhere, so I ran a full disk check from the Tiger disks (no errors) and then reinstalled 10.4 from scratch and immediately installed the .9 combo update. Well, while waiting for the restart after the combo update, it did it again, and *now* when I restart, even when trying to boot from the Tiger DVD (which worked before), it just shows the "no"/"no boot device" icon.

Haven't tried connecting via firewire yet in Target disk mode to see if I can find anything there, but since it won't boot from the DVD anymore, it doesn't seem likely to be the hard drive failling, does it?

Could the motherboard itself have gone bad? Or at least the IDE controller? It seems very unlikely, esp. that either of those would fail before any other part on the system...but it's the only thing I can think of that fits the symptoms...?

Any suggestions or brainstorms would be appreciated. I've switched my site to another backup machine for now, but the Mini made the perfect machine for it, plus it's my lil Mini, so I'd like to get it back up and running if possible.

Thanks!
    --mcn

There are a few things you should try. First, run the hardware test CD that came with it. That should be your first warning if the motherboard is broken or the IDE controller is shot. Second, if it's out of warranty (you could have purchased Applecare, I don't know), pop off the cover, take apart as much as you feel comfortable, clean it, and put it back together. Dirty and unseated connections on anything, even RAM could be causing your issues. I had a Powerbook with a RAM module that got a little dirty and caused the system to claim no boot device was found. A take apart and reassemble fixes all kinds of odd issues, some of which don't even make sense.

Now, it that doesn't work, don't boot it into Firewire disk mode, but another mac, and see if the Mini will boot off the other Mac. Alternatively, you could use a Firewire HD or older iPod for this as well. If that works, then it's either your HD or its controller. Seeing as how you ran a disk check on the HD and it was fine, all the pieces wouldn't add up for you to come this far and still have no solution. So give these suggestions a try and let's see where you end up.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
    edited May 2007

Running what OS? There are a few options for those machines :)

10.4.9 -- I'll try copying those drivers and we'll see what happens.

Thanks!

Antishow on
    edited May 2007

10.4.9 -- I'll try copying those drivers and we'll see what happens.

Thanks!

Just don't copy *all* of the drivers. Not that it'll hurt, but it'll take a lot longer than necessary. You should be able to find the specific RAGE drivers in there to copy, or worst case *ATI* :)

Mathew Burrack on
    edited May 2007
    There are a few things you should try. First, run the hardware test CD that came with it. That should be your first warning if the motherboard is broken or the IDE controller is shot.

Yeah, the hardware test CD was my next stop. However, I don't have much hope, since it won't boot the Tiger DVD any more.
    Second, if it's out of warranty

Yes it is, sadly. Got AppleCare for the eMac, whose only issue has been the display capacitor which was covered with or without AppleCare, yet didn't get it for the Mini when I now need it. grr (might have been more than 3 years at this point anyway, not sure)
    A take apart and reassemble fixes all kinds of odd issues, some of which don't even make sense.

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense, esp. with it running fine for so long, stationary, only to suddenly crash and burn like this, but it's worth a shot.
    Now, it that doesn't work, don't boot it into Firewire disk mode, but another mac, and see if the Mini will boot off the other Mac. Alternatively, you could use a Firewire HD or older iPod for this as well. If that works, then it's either your HD or its controller.

Good thought, I'll try that as well and see what happens.

Thanks!

Mathew Burrack on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you know someone who has Applecare, borrow their CD. It comes with something called TechTools deluxe, which you can boot off of. It has a complete hardware test. When my Powerbook's drive fried, I ran the CD, which wouldn't display my hard drive, confirming my theory that the hard drive had borked.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Perian - enable playback of many common codecs such as DivX and XviD via Quicktime. Add in ogg vorbis and matroska components, and you're set for everything except multiple audio/subtitle tracks and x264, the latter of which will be supported by the next version of Perian (allegedly). Why would you want to use QT when VLC works? A number of reasons, including FrontRow/remote support, lack of bugs/kludginess, and iTunes.
    NicePlayer - A QuickTime player that's a fuckton better than QuickTime Player. Supports Apple Remote.
    Movies2iTunes - add any video file that QuickTime can play to your iTunes library.
    You can probably see how these fit together.

Is there a way to make NicePlayer the default video player for Safari? Right now I've got it so Quicktime (along with Flip4Mac) opens things like .wmv in Quicktime itself.

I like NicePlayer a whole lot more than Quicktime. It looks, well... Nicer :P

*Is posting from a 24" iMac with another one just four metres away from me*

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
    edited May 2007
    So... I don't know how or why, but it just started working on its own. I'm not sure what might have been wrong in the first place... does it matter if the monitor is connected when the machine boots up?

Anyway, all set now. Thanks for the help :)

Antishow on
This discussion has been closed.