As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Metroid: Other M - let's talk about Samus' body some more guys

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think it's fairly obvious you shouldn't be allowed to make any judgment calls.

Shady3011 on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Now people are hating on the game due to feminism issues and Samus being the wrong hight?

This is just getting silly now. :?

I'm not hating on the game because of the height change

just seems like a dumb thing to change is all

obviously it won't affect gameplay

but still

kinda pointless

Talking about it being pointless is pointless.

I mean we could talk about a million pointless changes and it wouldn't affect anything or be a good discussion.

Like, why is her hair a few shades different from the Brawl version? Why is her first person visor a bit different in design from Prime? Why is her ship slightly different from previous games? Why are the space pirates a little bit different? Who cares?

Talking about video games on the internet is pointless period

Speed Racer on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not really.

If you want to talk changes that aren't pointless, feel free.

Samus can run a lot faster now, talk about that! That will change up both the gunplay and the platforming, I wonder if it'll affect game length, or if they took that into account and there's a lot more world to explore than we thought. And I wonder if it will help make backtracking a bit more bearable.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited August 2010
    So, she'll move just as fast as when she got the dash boots?

Shady3011 on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The woman can roll into the shape of a sphere. I'm not sure you can make many assumptions about how she fits in the suit.

20021113l.gif

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Samus can run a lot faster now, talk about that! That will change up both the gunplay and the platforming, I wonder if it'll affect game length, or if they took that into account and there's a lot more world to explore than we thought. And I wonder if it will help make backtracking a bit more bearable.

I had mentioned this earlier, but I really hate backtracking in first person.

I am really looking forward to a faster Samus.
    They show her doing some new stuff in those videos, like the "Shine Spark" or something like that and the good ol' grappel beam. I really hope that means smooth, quick, fun controls

brokecracker on
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe she's just got Ds and everyone else has DDs.

I'll stop now.

On reflection, I'm pretty sure I got this the wrong way around.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Considering this is an unspecified time in the future when humanity has expanded to the stars, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume the "average" heights are now 7 feet for male and 6 feet for female. I'm surprised they've retained as much muscle mass as they have.

But that's using logic and reason so hey! How 'bout them bewbs?

Monthenor on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Monthenor wrote: »
    Considering this is an unspecified time in the future when humanity has expanded to the stars, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume the "average" heights are now 7 feet for male and 6 feet for female. I'm surprised they've retained as much muscle mass as they have.

But that's using logic and reason so hey! How 'bout them bewbs?

Has it ever been started that this is the future? I mean "our future." While there are humans there is no mention of earth, iirc.

Not an argument, just a musing.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Samus moved at a pretty quick pace in Super Metroid, don't know what the fuck everyone is on about...

TurboGuard on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    compaired to the slow trot of the Prime games, it is a big difference.

I mean, it only been 16 years since Super Metroid, so I can see why others beside myself would be excited.

brokecracker on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    I think it's fairly obvious you shouldn't be allowed to make any judgment calls.

I have no idea why you're so hellbent on disliking this game to the point where you go out of your way to criticize anyone who points out your goose complaints make no sense. Now you're randomly posting insults about the thread because the content disagrees with you.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited August 2010

I have no idea why you're so hellbent on disliking this game to the point where you go out of your way to criticize anyone who points out your goose complaints make no sense. Now you're randomly posting insults about the thread because the content disagrees with you.

The only thing I disagree with is pointless prattle that has no bearing whatsoever on the gameplay. On top of that, I've had fair reason to be skeptical but you seem to be blinded by fanboyism to give my arguments a fair shake. It's cool if you think this game will be amazing based on a few videos, but I can, by the same token, think there is good enough reason to think it might not be hot shit on those same videos.

But, hey, logic seems to escape you most of the time.

Shady3011 on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the look arguments have some merit. Sure, the look doesn't affect the gameplay at all, but I could see it ruining a TV show for me if one of the main characters was suddenly replaced with somebody different which is essentially what's happening here.

Sure, Samus looks a little bit different in every game, but at least to me it used to seem like artisitic differences between each game where Samus could be described the same way. Her Other M model looks differently than I would expect it to given what we've learned about her and how she's been presented in other games.

There are more ways to negatively impact a game than to muck up the controls.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2010
    It honestly isn't all that big of a deal to me at this point since the most jarring change to her model was Metroid Prime to Metroid Prime: Echos. Its true that this game is more story driven, but ever since her Zero Suit Samus design I've figure she became more of an archetype female than the independent woman we thought she was.

Shady3011 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It honestly isn't all that big of a deal to me at this point since the most jarring change to her model was Metroid Prime to Metroid Prime: Echos. Its true that this game is more story driven, but ever since her Zero Suit Samus design I've figure she became more of an archetype female than the independent woman we thought she was.

Wait what the fuck?

Henroid on
    edited August 2010

The only thing I disagree with is pointless prattle that has no bearing whatsoever on the gameplay. On top of that, I've had fair reason to be skeptical but you seem to be blinded by fanboyism to give my arguments a fair shake. It's cool if you think this game will be amazing based on a few videos, but I can, by the same token, think there is good enough reason to think it might not be hot shit on those same videos.

Right, as if your outspoken contempt deserves to be equated with nice words like "reasonable skepticism," but everyone else who agrees with him is just a blind fanboy? The concept of "fanboy" belongs in the trash heap of the internet, we're all mature enough here to talk without resorting to that. Nobody is blindly attracted to this game, but I'm starting to think at least one person has blind hatred for it.

Why are you insulting someone's mental capabilities for calling you on your bad behavior? He's justified. You're being quite childish.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I may hate it, but yeah, I think devs have been taking her in the direction of "generic female archetype" for a while now. Writing a generic strong female character is a helluva lot easier than having to keep track of (or make up) the personal history of a tough, independent character who just happens to be a woman. Why would the Samus most of us remember care about what a drill sergeant says when she's already done some Pirate/monster killing of her own? More importantly, why is she even in boot camp when she could do more than anyone there already?

From what I remember of Samus, the training and alterations she got from the Chozo would've made her more than a match for some newbie recruits in boot camp. Even without the suit, she's supposed to have abilities considerably beyond the average person.

But rather than write a quality story which matches Samus, it's a lot easier to take a generic story and change Samus to match it. At least we're done with Phazon-related stories, though.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    NSP, that doesn't make it acceptable. She's a pretty noteworthy character in the way of showing women don't have to be typical to be intriguing.

Henroid on
    edited August 2010

Uh yeah.

Have fun with that.

King Riptor on
    edited August 2010
    I may hate it, but yeah, I think devs have been taking her in the direction of "generic female archetype" for a while now. Writing a generic strong female character is a helluva lot easier than having to keep track of (or make up) the personal history of a tough, independent character who just happens to be a woman. Why would the Samus most of us remember care about what a drill sergeant says when she's already done some Pirate/monster killing of her own? More importantly, why is she even in boot camp when she could do more than anyone there already?

From what I remember of Samus, the training and alterations she got from the Chozo would've made her more than a match for some newbie recruits in boot camp. Even without the suit, she's supposed to have abilities considerably beyond the average person.

But rather than write a quality story which matches Samus, it's a lot easier to take a generic story and change Samus to match it. At least we're done with Phazon-related stories, though.

We don't really know the story yet, though. Who's to say they're not building off of the story they established in the Zero Mission era manga?

So she wants to get an official bounty hunter's license to support herself through better channels, but it requires 4 years in the military academy. She gives Adam the thumbs down because she feels like she could handle much tougher missions than he dishes out, but at the same time she's meant to be a low recruit like anyone else. Is this not plausible?

UncleSporky on
    edited August 2010

Right, as if your outspoken contempt deserves to be equated with nice words like "reasonable skepticism," but everyone else who agrees with him is just a blind fanboy? The concept of "fanboy" belongs in the trash heap of the internet, we're all mature enough here to talk without resorting to that. Nobody is blindly attracted to this game, but I'm starting to think at least one person has blind hatred for it.

Why are you insulting someone's mental capabilities for calling you on your bad behavior? He's justified. You're being quite childish.

I don't think we are mature enough. It seems anytime someone who might not think this game will be all peachy, everyone gets defensive and rely on tropes to claim the game will turn out great.

My one and only complaint thus far has been the story yet its been turned into me thinking this game will be trash. Well, I've never even meant to imply that since I honestly think the gameplay looks good and my one real concern is movement but some recent videos have been making me convinced that it'll turn out fine.

If you really feel this story seems to be more than just generic, then go ahead and show me where it doesn't fall into typical anime tropes. To me, at least, it feels like the story will do more harm than good.

Shady3011 on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Her life's timeline seems to make sense to me: Raised by the Chozo as a kid, grew up and went into the military where she thought she'd get to fight the pirates (probably only got in due to already being a competent fighter), got disillusioned by the military's bullshit, left when she realized she could do more for herself and the galaxy by being a bounty hunter.

Opty on
    edited August 2010
    I want to know how exactly it's already been established in the series that she's not an independent strong woman. I haven't played Metroid Prime 3 so maybe I missed something there.

Because really, she's still an independent strong woman from all that I've seen in the series.

Henroid on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I want to know how exactly it's already been established in the series that she's not an independent strong woman. I haven't played Metroid Prime 3 so maybe I missed something there.

Because really, she's still an independent strong woman from all that I've seen in the series.

Yep. I've played all the games, and nothing contradicts that.

Hell, even in Smash Bros. Otacon tells Snake he's in serious danger of getting his ass kicked by a strong woman.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited August 2010

She had feelings for a MAN.

I mean good lord that implies she can't do anything for herself!

Edit- Hell in corruption Samus is pretty much the only Bounty Hunter that didn't go insane after a week. That's some mental fortitude.

King Riptor on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's more fear that the more game designers write a story, the more they'll fuck up that trait. I don't trust game designers with writing generally, and I especially don't trust them with women.

In the games, there's really not much characterization. She's a badass bounty hunter that the Space Pirates are absolutely terrified of and is called in for particularly difficult jobs by the Galactic Federation.

Fusion adds some murky past where she worked for them directly and had a commanding office and it was all pretty forgettable.

The rest the collective gaming populace has built up in our minds.

EDIT: Basically my concern is that I personally prefer that model of story in games. It's the player's story and not the designer, to interpret how we want to. Yay interactivity and what not. There's exactly one scripted story that I think was well executed (Ultima 6) and within that you could basically alter the details to make your avatar however you wanted. Call it the Will Wright school of interactive storytelling.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited August 2010
    There's a difference between "I'm scared they're going to make her a typical woman" and "they already have."

Henroid on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I think the thing is that the early media of Other M seems to be shoving her womanhood way, way more into the spotlight than earlier games. At least, that seems to be the criticism; I haven't been really paying attention either way and am still mildly curious if I'll end up liking the game. Like, I'm a general Metroid fan, but I don't really care one way or the other about the lore—it's all about the great, complex, puzzle-platform-ish gameplay. In most of the other games, Samus's gender or backstory or whatever is really tangential to the experience, whereas in this one her being a woman and her interactions with other people seem pretty integral to the whole thing.

Such an emphasis on character and backstory and dialogue does give me pause; I'll fully admit it's a snap judgment, but I only saw a brief snippet of the demo footage, and the handful of lines and dialogue already gave me a case of The Eyerolls. I'll wait to hear what people think about the retail product, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I really don't get why the hell devs would want to make a more "normal" Samus is beyond me. She's never been the type of female character where the devs try to make her tough and girly. Nope, she's just Samus Aran, the bounty hunter who kicks so much ass and takes so many names that she has literally ended planets.

But no, by all means what we really need is a softer, more approachable Samus instead of the legendary one with plenty of backstory which has never been touched.
    We don't really know the story yet, though. Who's to say they're not building off of the story they established in the Zero Mission era manga?

So she wants to get an official bounty hunter's license to support herself through better channels, but it requires 4 years in the military academy. She gives Adam the thumbs down because she feels like she could handle much tougher missions than he dishes out, but at the same time she's meant to be a low recruit like anyone else. Is this not plausible?

The Federation knows she was raised by the Chozo, she has Chozo powers and Chozo training, and she also has the clear dedication to putting down the Pirate threat. Not to mention she already has combat experience. So in a galaxy with ice-men and giant computer brains and space dragons, they decide to waste 4 years of her time teaching her things she is already well beyond. Ironically, yes, I think this would be an apt representation of military bureaucracy. However, it is also boring as hell and a really lame piece of backstory.

Yeah, we could get something interesting out of it. Or we could realistically expect that the whole thing is just a clumsy attempt at humanizing Samus by showing her attachment to her fellow rookies. Which is part of why I think adding a big story to a Metroid game is a big, big mistake because I don't think Nintendo has any idea who to let write a story for the game.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2010
    Her inner monologues in Zero Mission didn't help when she lost her suit. Then again, I don't want to read too much into that whole section of the game.

Shady3011 on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, I didn't think this thread could get any creepier but it's getting there fast.

Maybe its just me, but this sounds really weird being voiced by someone with an Elf Cammy sig and av.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
    edited August 2010
    Lunker wrote: »

I think the thing is that the early media of Other M seems to be shoving her womanhood way, way more into the spotlight than earlier games. At least, that seems to be the criticism; I haven't been really paying attention either way and am still mildly curious if I'll end up liking the game. Like, I'm a general Metroid fan, but I don't really care one way or the other about the lore—it's all about the great, complex, puzzle-platform-ish gameplay. In most of the other games, Samus's gender or backstory or whatever is really tangential to the experience, whereas in this one her being a woman and her interactions with other people seem pretty integral to the whole thing.

Such an emphasis on character and backstory and dialogue does give me pause; I'll fully admit it's a snap judgment, but I only saw a brief snippet of the demo footage, and the handful of lines and dialogue already gave me a case of The Eyerolls. I'll wait to hear what people think about the retail product, though.

We're not talking about the media or this game.

Shady made the claim:
    but ever since her Zero Suit Samus design I've figure she became more of an archetype female than the independent woman we thought she was.
    I want to know where the fuck this line of thought came from.

Henroid on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually, I'd be most annoyed if they made her altruistic. I like thinking of her as not quite an anti-hero, but essentially in it for money/revenge.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited August 2010
    Rehab wrote: »
    Okay, I didn't think this thread could get any creepier but it's getting there fast.

Maybe its just me, but this sounds really weird being voiced by someone with an Elf Cammy sig and av.

Wouldn't that be more of a red flag than anything?

Shady3011 on
    edited August 2010
    Her inner monologues in Zero Mission didn't help when she lost her suit. Then again, I don't want to read too much into that whole section of the game.

Didn't help how? What lines in it make her a "typical helpless woman" or whatever? Get specific so I know whether or not you're at least on to something or just crazy bonkers.

Henroid on
    edited August 2010
    Actually, I'd be most annoyed if they made her altruistic. I like thinking of her as not quite an anti-hero, but essentially in it for money/revenge.

I would be surprised if she wasn't at least somewhat altruistic. I mean, she's not going to start weeping about the horrible plight of soldiers on the battlefield when she's busy splattering Pirate guts all over a bulkhead, but she was raised by the Chozo after all. I doubt if she was totally focused on money and revenge then they would've basically made her into a superhuman wrecking ball in space.

Pirates did totally scorch her home and parents, though, so at least some ruthless hatred would be perfectly healthy.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2010

Didn't help how? What lines in it make her a "typical helpless woman" or whatever? Get specific so I know whether or not you're at least on to something or just crazy bonkers.

The whole point of that section was to show how frail she was without the suit. In fact, even she lost all her confidence right after her spaceship crashed. It's almost as if that suit was the only reason anyone would take her as a threat.

I doubt it gets any deeper than that. I'm sure some people might read a whole lot more into it, but that whole section of the game painted Samus in the wrong way. At least she regained her composure when she remembered back to her training with the Chozo.

Shady3011 on
    edited August 2010

She's been about as mystic as the Chozo for quite a while now. Revenge is big, sure, but she's highly disciplined and I haven't seen anything that would indicate she's in it for the money.

She's always been sort of a counterpart to Link or Mario, in a way - just out to right wrongs, except that she was too inexperienced to rescue her loved ones when it counted.

UncleSporky on
    edited August 2010

Well I think she's on some level at least a decent person..

Though even where she's seemingly doing something to help for no charge there's space pirates involved so who knows?

King Riptor on