As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Creatures of Habit

lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Social Entropy++
So we all have set habits and compulsions that we do every day. Some can be harmless, like touchign the roof of your car when you pass a yellow light or always having a 20 ounce coffee to start your morning. Or it can be a little gross and somewhat harmful, like smoking or nail-biting. (i do all those, which I need to change probably)

While watching a bit of Obsessed on A&E and thinking about the OCD episode of True Life, I thank my lucky stars i'm not obsessive-compulsive like those on the show, who kinda have their lives run by their habits and all.

There's also everyday routines that we all find ourselves in, like I always start the day with coffee and a cup of chobani yogurt with kashi bits. I figured i'd change it up, but its been like 3 months and i've had the same breakfast pretty much everyday, and i'm still not bored of it.

So yeah dudes, what habits do you have that you've noticed? Trying to change? Does it bother you or people you know? Any particular everyday routines you find yourself falling into?

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
lostwords on

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2010
    i'm unpredictable so that assassins can't follow me

Garlic Bread on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well I keep coming back here. I guess that could be considered a habit.

Hacksaw on
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    keith has a habit of being unpredictable, it's really annoying and bothersome to us assassins

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I stroke your hair while you sleep

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i have a few:

i routinely count words or syllables in what i say

tv volume has to be on even numbers, or mulitples of 5

i bite my pinky nail only

i have a routine of cracking my fingers, wrists, neck, elbows, knees, and back in the morning

my shower always has the same routine: scrub face, shave, brush teeth, wash body, wash hair. anything outside of that routine is weird

things either need to be lined in some sort of uniform fashion or completely random, not a little bit of both

i have more...

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • bongibongi regular
    edited August 2010
    Sometimse I take my pants off before I poop

bongi on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm constantly planning escape plans for whatever situation I'm in, in case heavily armed mercenaries/terrorists storm in and try to kill me.

Like i'm in a club dancing and everyone is happy and smiley where as i'm kinda frowning and casing the place for escape routes whilst dancing badly.

Don't judge me, you all do it too.

Karl on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    Sometimse I take my pants off before I poop

In public bathrooms? You freak!

lostwords on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Karl wrote: »
    I'm constantly planning escape plans for whatever situation I'm in, in case heavily armed mercenaries/terrorists storm in and try to kill me.

Like i'm in a club dancing and everyone is happy and smiley where as i'm kinda frowning and casing the place for escape routes whilst dancing badly.

Don't judge me, you all do it too.

I ready myself to "counter" spontaneous stabbings from people I pass by or who are near me in stores or movie theatres or whatever. Not all the time, but when I think of it. Always with hobos though.

You all laugh, but when that one rare occasion finally does happen?

I will probably get stabbed.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • The Boy SatelliteThe Boy Satellite Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    lose my mind every day to keep it fresh.

but really but that was actually true but i eat the same breakfast every day and the same lunches in rotation and sit in the same places on break and pour a glass of milk before bed every night with the same amount of lights off and on and lose every game of starcrafttwo the same way.

D:

The Boy Satellite on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mysst wrote: »
    I stroke your hair while you sleep
    So that's why my scalp smells so heavily of steers and queers every morning.

Hacksaw on
  • gruggrug Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i shit at my workplace every morning.

I eat pineapple pizza nearly every day now. It's freaking me out.

grug on
    HOOFBEATS

ROBIN FALLS

WHO KNEW
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    when I turn off the lights in the house to go to bed (so it is very dark) I run my middle and index finger of my right hand down the hallway wall for 3 seconds until I reach the bathroom doorway, take a step across the hall to my room, then grab my bedroom's doorway and touch the doorknob with my left hand. then I take 5 steps to my bed's ladder, grab the top of the ladder with my left hand. right knee up on the mattress, then get cozy.

the same thing every night for years now.

also when I am the passenger in a car my eyes follow the curb and dip down for driveways. I also count things, blinking for each count. sometimes mailboxes, or blue cars, often trees.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited August 2010
    Loft bed or pedo?

grug on
    HOOFBEATS

ROBIN FALLS

WHO KNEW
    edited August 2010
    loft bed, it's a pretty badass bed actually.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited August 2010
    also all the lights/computers in the house must be turned off before I head for bed (if I am the last one awake).

I can't abide wasted energy.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited August 2010
    I can't abide unmolested what?

grug on
    HOOFBEATS

ROBIN FALLS

WHO KNEW
    edited August 2010
    you're a strange fellow.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    my shower always has the same routine: scrub face, shave, brush teeth, wash body, wash hair. anything outside of that routine is weird

Same. Top to bottom. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash, rinse it all off. Same way, every day.

SeñorAmor on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wouldn't consider myself to be OCD, but I do have strict routines. I try to do everything in as optimal a way as possible in order to save time and energy, from setting my clothes out the night before to putting my rail pass in my wallet a specific way so that it's easier to swipe through the reader when I get on the subway. I strive to live life deliberately.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited August 2010
    I always have to go a bit differently.

Shampoo hair, rinse, conditioner hair and leave it in while I wash my body, shave, wash my face, then rinse with warm water, then as cold as I can stand. (it's good for your hair)

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My morning showers need to be quick. I do shampoo hair, then soap down body by working my way down, then face wash. Leave the serious rinsing for the end. That means my showers take like 3 minutes, which some people have told me is too fast and possibly gross, but whatevs. Showers in the afternoon or evening after a workout or sweating all day is just me with the water running for 20 minutes, then leisurely do the hair, body, face thang. Maybe throw in a quick whacking section for variety

lostwords on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have this weird habit of wanting to violently strangle people who use the acronym "OCD" as an adjective.

#pipe on
    edited August 2010
    I've never understood how people are comfortable jerking it in a shower stall or tub that's shared with other people. I mean, I find another dude's semen just as objectionable as peepee, and you certainly wouldn't expel that in the shower! Or maybe you would?!

.Tripwire. on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I ejaculate at least once a day.

At least.

ChicoBlue on
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I habitually sit at the computer like a fucking idiot. I can't ever sit with my feet flat, I always have one knee up or I'll rest my bent leg on the arm of the chair, and then I wonder why I have chronic calf pain in that leg. I wish I could sit normal but doing so makes me want to crawl out of my skin.

Oddly, this is not a problem anywhere else. Just my computer chair.

Sara Lynn on
    edited August 2010
    I pretty much what it everywhere. No foolin. Work toilet, shower, spare room at friend's house, living room, kitchen, street, behind a bush, etc.

grug on
    HOOFBEATS

ROBIN FALLS

WHO KNEW
    edited August 2010
    This is bad news for my moderate germophobia. The world is like a slip and slide of all you guys's ejaculate.

.Tripwire. on
    edited August 2010
    More or less. Sorry for being gross. Night.

grug on
    HOOFBEATS

ROBIN FALLS

WHO KNEW
    edited August 2010
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I habitually sit at the computer like a fucking idiot. I can't ever sit with my feet flat, I always have one knee up or I'll rest my bent leg on the arm of the chair, and then I wonder why I have chronic calf pain in that leg. I wish I could sit normal but doing so makes me want to crawl out of my skin.

Oddly, this is not a problem anywhere else. Just my computer chair.

this, this. right now my left feet is curled with my tops of my toes pushed down against the tiles, while my right leg is underneath me on the chair. can't ever sit just... normal.

similiar problem in bed, so when i was in the hospital a few weeks ago, they expected me to just lie flat on my back all night and not move, or the drip would come out. that was mental torture, like, absolute anxiety. can't explain it, but i just...couldn't. needless to say, the drip came out painfully, a lot, and was replaced, a lot. I NEED TO MOVE DAMNIT.

The Boy Satellite on
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm a creature of habit -- not so much because I like routines, but because I'm extremely forgetful, and I need to streamline practicalities to the point that I don't have to think about them.

For example, I have to have exactly one purse that always contains all my things, and I have to take it every time I leave the house/dorm room, otherwise I'll forget my keys. I avoid accessories that can be put on and taken off in the course of a day -- bracelets, sunglasses, etc -- because I'll lose them. I like to go to the gym already wearing my gym clothes (instead of changing in the locker room) because I'm bound to leave something in the locker room. I always pack light on trips, to minimize the number of things I need to remember. And so on.

I can be kind of rigid about this sort of thing, because I have a rough sense of how many details I can keep in my mind at once, and it's not very many.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    don't worry tripwire my ejaculate is antibacterial so I'll just have to cum on everything and you're safe

work in progress though

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    This is bad news for my moderate germophobia. The world is like a slip and slide of all you guys's ejaculate.

the more you try to avoid germs, the more likely you are to die from curable disease or infection!

germs are fine, guy. there are more bacteria cells in your body than human cells!

#pipe on
    edited August 2010
    all this talk of ejac

all this talk

The Boy Satellite on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I bite my nails a lot

Beasteh on
    edited August 2010
    I think maybe after my last post, Tripwire walked into an incinerator somewhere.

#pipe on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    have to be humping the quilt sideways facing away from the wall with 2 pillows, sit so far back in my chair I'm practically reclining

I have been known to fall asleep in the shower

Beasteh on
    edited August 2010
    No some rude dudes have probably expressed semen all over it.

I guess it's not so much germophobia, health-wary, as it is EWWWWOPHOBIA, because

bukkake

.Tripwire. on
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    firman come to vancouver with me.

we can reminisce about old times.
    like when you saw a dick.

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Being near dicks or talking about dicks is I guess my greatest habit of all.

.Tripwire. on