As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii Thread?

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Butters wrote: »
    Knob wrote: »
    seriously are there people that buy systems solely based on how the hardware specs look on paper

a few

but not enough to base an argument on, let alone an industry.

It is a relevant subject though when you are looking into the console's future.

only for absolute retards

Knob on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Market demand isn't measured in dollars, dumbass. What matters to developers and publishers is how many people own the console, i.e. how many copies their games can sell. That's why the Wii, as the soon-to-be market leader, will get all the games and thus continue to build on its lead regardless of what the elite few think of its graphics. The PS2 was the console with bad hardware last gen, remember?

The PS2 was behind in terms of hardware, but not by much. The Wii is significantly behind already, and the race has only just begun. That's a big difference.

Also, market demand can be measured in a variety of ways, and the fact that 360-PS3 ports are easy to do for games with roughly the same tech requirements means that the Wii still ends up pitted against both.
    seriously are there people that buy systems solely based on how the hardware specs look on paper

a few

However, there are cases where developers will want to do something with a game and they select platforms based on what will be needed. Yes, they generally try to see, in the case of PC games, if they can make a "reduced settings" mode for shitty video cards or whatever, and in the case of console games they will sometimes tweak the game to put it on other consoles, but it's very common for a developer to go "OK, we need at least this level of technology (roughly speaking) to make this game" and then decide what the game's gonna run on right then and there.

Defender on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    defender you make that same argument once every few weeks, and you did so a page or two back.

and a little while ago you were talking about how the wii appears to be destined for failure, or whatever, but then turn around and compare it to the most successful restaurant chain in history

and it would appear that you are purposefully being a dickbag in the rest of your argument against me "celebrity tv, yadda yadda yadda" so I'm not even going to address that shit

yeah, there's a science to creating marketable games, but there is also an artistry in it that no amount of marketing spin, analysis or scientific reproduction can mimic.

there are hundreds of examples of games that have not been technological achievements, but have gone on to become astounding hits simply based on a unique game play technique or the sheer fact that they are fun. I'm not going to build a big list for you, but here's one great example.

Katamari. Looks like ass, kinda hard to control, fun as hell and sold like mad.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited May 2007
    katamari looks good

because rather than making the most gritty realistic looking crud, they embraced simplicity and made something that oozes charm and style

Knob on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    katamari looks good

because rather than making the most gritty realistic looking crud, they embraced simplicity and made something that oozes charm and style

okay okay

technically looks like ass

but yeah it's stylish as all hell

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

a few

Oh come on! If you are planning on making an investment in HD stuff the PS3 is worth looking into initially because it can serve multiple purposes for both media viewing and gaming. But when you take a more in-depth look into it's release schedule it becomes obvious that it isn't nearly as viable of a gaming machine as the 360 is currently and thus not worth the larger investment.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited May 2007
    so you see class, Butters here is an excellent example of an absolute retard.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited May 2007
    hey defender i know you code graphics and such but have you done any game design

Yeah but nothing too, you know, deep. Most of what I've done has been stuff where the game's primary goal is to educate on a real-life skill set, so that's a little different than a game like Street Fighter where the skill set involves doing moves and chaining super-combos. <There was a sentence here about some examples, but I am wary of breaking NDAs, so I deleted it.>
    because on one hand i think you'd be good at it because you have a pretty in depth understanding of the mechanics and the process and such

but on the other i think you would be dogshit at it because your ideas about game design are so unflinchingly mechanical and black and white

Well, if you really isolate the mechanics, the game does come out to look pretty dry, but that's simply because you've deliberately stripped it of all of its style so you can look directly at its substance. When you're trying to set play mechanics and balance, you do that. When you're trying to set up stuff like level flow, you take some creative liberties and do a few things that aren't strictly "black-and-white scientific" to give the game some style.

Look at Magic, for example. The cards all have very clear functions. You know, pay 2 red mana for this and tap it to do that and it has this much attack and defense, all that stuff. But the artwork, the "flavor" text, the physical use of space on the table...that stuff makes the game "fun" in a more visceral way without adding any actual substance. That basically acts as a preservative; you can play for longer without getting bored because there's something to distract you from the pure mechanics. The thing that makes Magic a good example is that the card very distinctly separates the substance from the style, which is something that you don't see too often.

Defender on
    edited May 2007
    that's what's important to me

i don't give a shit if leonardo used the best canvases or the most expensive brushes

he knew how to create amazing things within the context and limits of the medium he worked in

like if you gave the dude a brown paper bag and a crayon, do you think he couldn't have churned out something awesome?

the hardware is simply a tool. having the best tools doesn't make you the best. having an understanding of the tool you have and knowing how to work with that tool's particular strengths is paramount.

It would be the pinnacle of retardation to put something like half-life 2 on the wii. just like it would be 100% dogshit boring to put wii sports on the ps3.

people keep getting hung up on what is the 'best', when videogames have become such a broad and expansive field that it's almost getting unfair to compare systems.

okay, a dodge viper goes faster than a ford f150 right

so the viper must be better because on paper the numbers are bigger

but are you gonna sell a viper to a ranch hand

Knob on
    edited May 2007
    so you see class, Butters here is an excellent example of an absolute retard.

Blow me, Rank. Blow me while I play Resident Evil 5 and watch all my favorite movies and shows in HD.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited May 2007
    defender you make that same argument once every few weeks, and you did so a page or two back.

and a little while ago you were talking about how the wii appears to be destined for failure, or whatever, but then turn around and compare it to the most successful restaurant chain in history

I think that the difference here is that the Wii can't change its hardware to meet customer demand, so when people start wanting better graphics, the Wii can't suddenly bust out normal-mapped, specular-mapped McSalads. Miiiiiixed metaphooooooors are baaaaaad wriiiiiiiting!
    and it would appear that you are purposefully being a dickbag in the rest of your argument against me "celebrity tv, yadda yadda yadda" so I'm not even going to address that shit

Point is that most people consume things mindlessly. There it is without the dickbaggery.
    yeah, there's a science to creating marketable games, but there is also an artistry in it that no amount of marketing spin, analysis or scientific reproduction can mimic.

Games are art? I agree with that. What are you saying?
    there are hundreds of examples of games that have not been technological achievements, but have gone on to become astounding hits simply based on a unique game play technique or the sheer fact that they are fun. I'm not going to build a big list for you, but here's one great example.

Karamari had innovative gameplay, which is like the one thing that I hold above all others. It also had decent marketing.

Thief was in the same category, minus the marketing.

Defender on
    edited May 2007

a few

Oh come on! If you are planning on making an investment in HD stuff the PS3 is worth looking into initially because it can serve multiple purposes for both media viewing and gaming. But when you take a more in-depth look into it's release schedule it becomes obvious that it isn't nearly as viable of a gaming machine as the 360 is currently and thus not worth the larger investment.

yeah and all of that is 100% totally subjective

for the HD guy, the ps3 is a sound investment, for a guy who likes lots of online multiplayer the 360 is great, for someone who wants to be able to play accessible videogames with their aunt and their grandma, then maybe they should get a wii

this has nothing to do with sheer hardware power and more to do with the fact that consoles don't just play videogames anymore and each system is being targeted towards a completely separate class of consumer

Knob on
    edited May 2007
    that's what's important to me

i don't give a shit if leonardo used the best canvases or the most expensive brushes

he knew how to create amazing things within the context and limits of the medium he worked in

I agree with this. You know that I still play TFT. It's just a really good game, and I don't care that the tech is old as balls. I love Thief, which wasn't flashy-looking even when it was new. The term "platform" is very accurate. You need it there in order to have your show. And the bigger and more complex the show, the greater the platform requirements.

Not in ALL cases, but in many. You've played Metal Gear Solid, right? You know that there's no way MGS3 could've run on a PS1. Just plain no fucking way; the areas were too large, the control scheme was too demanding, the AI was too complex. A PS1 couldn't have managed that.
    people keep getting hung up on what is the 'best', when videogames have become such a broad and expansive field that it's almost getting unfair to compare systems.

Sort of. Sort of. I think that there are cases where the comparison is easy and reasonable, though. It is often the case that the hardware is all comparable and there are benchmarks that can be used to determine raw capabilities. It's not always the biggest factor, but there are times where you just go "you know what? You need a better CPU." Have you ever played DOOM on a 386? You have to shrink the window way down, it totally sucks. Play it on a 486 and you can fullscreen that bitch and it is SO MUCH BETTER it's like a whole new game.
    okay, a dodge viper goes faster than a ford f150 right

so the viper must be better because on paper the numbers are bigger

but are you gonna sell a viper to a ranch hand

Yes. I will tell him that it has a pussy magnet pre-installed.

Defender on
    edited May 2007
    yeah and all of that is 100% totally subjective

for the HD guy, the ps3 is a sound investment, for a guy who likes lots of online multiplayer the 360 is great, for someone who wants to be able to play accessible videogames with their aunt and their grandma, then maybe they should get a wii

this has nothing to do with sheer hardware power and more to do with the fact that consoles don't just play videogames anymore and each system is being targeted towards a completely separate class of consumer

Yeah but when I say "superior hardware" I am not just talking graphics and horsepower. I am talking about the other features as well. The PS3 should have a leg up on format (Blu-ray hold a whole helluva lot a data) and storage (the HDD is integrated and not just an afterthought) on the 360. But after looking at the release schedule and weak launch titles it became obvious to me, a future HD guy even, that it still isn't worth the investment.

Butters on
    edited May 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Not in ALL cases, but in many. You've played Metal Gear Solid, right? You know that there's no way MGS3 could've run on a PS1. Just plain no fucking way; the areas were too large, the control scheme was too demanding, the AI was too complex. A PS1 couldn't have managed that.

Oh of course. I'm not saying that. It would have been an excersize in stupid to try and put mgs3 on a ps1.

But that doesn't mean that the ps1 was invalid.

just like kojima putting mgs4 on the ps3

i'm a little sad because i don't want a ps3 but i want to play mgs4, but honestly i don't see it working on the other systems. maybe the 360

but does that mean the ps3 is the best system? no. just that the ps3 is the best system for a game like mgs4

the new NiGHTS game? i think it'd be the acme of foolishness to put it on a ps3 or 360. but does that mean the wii is the best system? no, not at all.

Knob on
    edited May 2007

I think that the difference here is that the Wii can't change its hardware to meet customer demand, so when people start wanting better graphics, the Wii can't suddenly bust out normal-mapped, specular-mapped McSalads. Miiiiiixed metaphooooooors are baaaaaad wriiiiiiiting!

Point is that most people consume things mindlessly. There it is without the dickbaggery.

Games are art? I agree with that. What are you saying?

Karamari had innovative gameplay, which is like the one thing that I hold above all others. It also had decent marketing.

Thief was in the same category, minus the marketing.

maaan fuck your quote trees.

yeah, people consume things mindlessly. And right now they are mindlessly consuming the Wii a hell of a lot faster than they are consuming the PS3, because it's cheaper and it's more fun. So larger installed userbase + cheaper to develop for + basically the same set of dev tools as the gamecube so no major learning curve for devs + making money on every piece of hardware sold =/= failure, in my opinion. In fact, one could argue that that is a pretty ripe recipe for success.

And they're getting their products into the hands of lots and lots of non-traditional gamers, too. They're developing interest from people who would never touch a video game before, because Nintendo has always been the king of innovative gameplay and simple, intuitive game design.

I know how attached you are to the dualshock button setup, but if you hand one of those controllers to my parents they'll be fucking lost. And my parents enjoy video games. They played the shit out of the atari, back in the day. My mom kicked ass at River Raid, and my dad could school anyone in the neighborhood at Missile Command.

My dad played Doom for years, because I mapped the movement button to the mouse for him so he could play the whole thing with one hand. It took me years to get him to move up to using the keyboard for movement, and he still doesn't like it, but he plays his WWII shooters and he's happy with that. He refused to play on a console because he hated having to learn ten different buttons, two analog sticks and a d pad. He doesn't give a shit if a game has the best graphics, he's been playing the original call of duty and it's expansion for fucking years and years. Single player.

My mother enjoys Brain Age and similar games. Simple things like that. She plays it mostly for the sudoku any more, but she really likes that game, because the interface is simple and the gameplay is very intuitive but still challenging. It doesn't need flashy graphics, it doesn't need a badass engine, it just needs a simple, intuitive interface and a good gameplay mechanic.

And Nintendo offered them exactly that on the new system. Both my parents love the Wii, and play Wii Sports and Wii Play and stuff with my sister all the time. They balk at buying a five or six hundred dollar system with crazy button schemes, and couldn't give a shit if the graphics were a little prettier on that side of the fence.

And the crazy part? Hundreds of thousands of people just like them are getting into gaming now too. And if that is a failure or points to failure in any way for Nintendo, please point it out to me because all I see right now is a very bright future for them.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited May 2007

Oh of course. I'm not saying that. It would have been an excersize in stupid to try and put mgs3 on a ps1.

But that doesn't mean that the ps1 was invalid.

just like kojima putting mgs4 on the ps3

i'm a little sad because i don't want a ps3 but i want to play mgs4, but honestly i don't see it working on the other systems. maybe the 360

but does that mean the ps3 is the best system? no. just that the ps3 is the best system for a game like mgs4

the new NiGHTS game? i think it'd be the acme of foolishness to put it on a ps3 or 360. but does that mean the wii is the best system? no, not at all.

I'm not familiar with NiGHTS. What makes it great for the Wii and bad for the other two?

The thing about the Wii is that the only thing I see it offering is the control scheme; anything that the Wii does graphically can be done with the other systems.

I think the big difference between the PS3 and the 360 is that the PS3 ALWAYS has a hard drive, which means developers can count on it being there. If you make a 360 game, you have to consider that your user might not have a hard drive. Also, Blu-Ray holds, like, what, 13 gigs? Instead of 6? So you have that advantage.

So I guess that my point was that there are a good number of cases where the ideas you can actually transform into games are often limited by the hardware. You know, that was one cool thing about Star Control II. That game ran pretty well on a 386, and it was epic beyond what was normally expected of that platform. Quest For Glory, as well.

Defender on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd rather try out a game to figure out if I like it than try to ratonalize why I won't like it before I even play it. Cause you know, I might be wrong.

Javen on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The thing about the Wii is that the only thing I see it offering is the control scheme; anything that the Wii does graphically can be done with the other systems.
    Yeah. So? Other systems also cost hundreds of dollars more plus the $10 next-gen fee on every game.

Zek on
    edited May 2007
    NiGHTS is a game that i feel would be a generic flying game with traditional controls offered by 360 or ps3

when it was released for saturn it was ridiculously fresh and new and revolutionary

putting it on the wii is the smart choice because seriously the game is 100% perfect for wii controls

Knob on
    edited May 2007
    Rank, my feeling on that can be summed up in fairly short form:

1) Your parents, by your own description, are not non-gamers. They're old dogs who couldn't or wouldn't learn new tricks.

2) Nintendo's not doing anything innovative, they're regressing. Look at the VC! That is clear regression in that the actual games are old. Your parents are picking games back up because Nintendo has regressed back to the games that your parents understood when they were willing to learn.

3) I am not convinced that Nintendo will be able to keep the non-gamers that they have attracted, because to them it is likely a fad in most cases. They will convert some, but I'm not seeing the reason to do that. Most of these non-gamers are either 20-something girlfriends of gamers or older people. The market will be flooded increasingly with people who are already 30-35 and younger...as time goes on, those people will be the market, not grandmothers who don't have much time left on this planet. And those people are already gamers.

Defender on
    edited May 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    I'd rather try out a game to figure out if I like it than try to ratonalize why I won't like it before I even play it. Cause you know, I might be wrong.

Are you referring to the PS3's downloadable demos?

Defender on
    edited May 2007

The ones that cost money?

No.

Javen on
    edited May 2007

No, the 360s

Butters on
    edited May 2007
    you know what i thought was a bad system

the psp

and now i have one and seriously i carry it around more than my ds

it finally occurred to me that the psp is not just a handheld videogame, which was the standard i was holding it to before i got one

Knob on
  • Jedi RenegadeJedi Renegade Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    NiGHTS is a game that i feel would be a generic flying game with traditional controls offered by 360 or ps3

when it was released for saturn it was ridiculously fresh and new and revolutionary

putting it on the wii is the smart choice because seriously the game is 100% perfect for wii controls

agreed, I'm really looking forward to it because when it first came out on Saturn I was like "urgh what" but when I played it I really liked it, I think putting it on the Wii is brilliant

Jedi Renegade on
    metalsig.jpg
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    So, what about the N-Gage?

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited May 2007
    MIDNIGHT MADNESS

Jedi Renegade on
    metalsig.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Rank, my feeling on that can be summed up in fairly short form:

1) Your parents, by your own description, are not non-gamers. They're old dogs who couldn't or wouldn't learn new tricks.

2) Nintendo's not doing anything innovative, they're regressing. Look at the VC! That is clear regression in that the actual games are old. Your parents are picking games back up because Nintendo has regressed back to the games that your parents understood when they were willing to learn.

3) I am not convinced that Nintendo will be able to keep the non-gamers that they have attracted, because to them it is likely a fad in most cases. They will convert some, but I'm not seeing the reason to do that. Most of these non-gamers are either 20-something girlfriends of gamers or older people. The market will be flooded increasingly with people who are already 30-35 and younger...as time goes on, those people will be the market, not grandmothers who don't have much time left on this planet. And those people are already gamers.

I really don't want to keep arguing "oh this is what is going to happen in the future" because only time will tell, regardless of what indicators are already out there.

But my parents are gamers, they're just not the hardcore gamers that the industry normally caters to with it's marketing dollars. But gamers just like my mother are the ones that are buying ten and twenty dollar casual games by the fucking truckload, and gamers just like my father are the ones buying the WWII shooters over and over again, and catering to both of those demographics is smart business any way you look at it. The wii offers a lot to core gamers and to casual gamers alike.

Man fuck I've got too much work to do to keep this up.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited May 2007

The PS3 is doing the same thing with Megadrive and Turbografix, though their selection is much more limited than the Virtual Console. So they must be regressing too.

Actually, it seems like Sony has mimicked the Wii at every turn. Which is actually the most sound marketing strategy they've had since release.

Javen on
    edited May 2007

the psp

it finally occurred to me that the psp is not just a handheld videogame, which was the standard i was holding it to before i got one

What so you use it for MP3's or something? Cuz those memory-stick DUOs are pretty damn expensive and I was pretty confused when I found out they won't work in my Sony labtop's built in memory stick reader.

Butters on
    edited May 2007
    but honestly the success of the wii is 100% dependant on the software it offers

if people just keep porting games made for other system and tacking on rudimentary motion controls, then it'll fall flat on its ass

but if we get a wave of awesome games specifically designed to take advantage of the one factor that sets it apart from the competitors, then awesome times, yo

but i do see what some dudes are saying

if only the same games were released for all 3 consoles then yeah the wii would be garbage

it really needs exclusive apps designed fully with the hardware in mind to shine (like my leonardo analogy from earlier)

some people are a little disheartened because we don't have a lot of those yet

but i have faith

i mean look, for the first year and a half of it's life, the ds was largely gimmicky garbage and look at it now

Knob on
    edited May 2007
    ITT Knob shows his stuff

Jedi Renegade on
    metalsig.jpg
    edited May 2007

the psp

What so you use it for MP3's or something? Cuz those memory-stick DUOs are pretty damn expensive and I was pretty confused when I found out they won't work in my Sony labtop's built in memory stick reader.

$40 for a 2 gig stick is expensive? fuck no it isn't

and you don't need a card reader because the psp funtions as one via a usb cable

Knob on
  • Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

The PS3 is doing the same thing with Megadrive and Turbografix, though their selection is much more limited than the Virtual Console. So they must be regressing too.

Actually, it seems like Sony has mimicked the Wii at every turn. Which is actually the most sound marketing strategy they've had since release.

i'd say that live arcade is an example of this too. the games tend to be simple and short but very addictive.

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
    edited May 2007

if people just keep porting games made for other system and tacking on rudimentary motion controls, then it'll fall flat on its ass

but if we get a wave of awesome games specifically designed to take advantage of the one factor that sets it apart from the competitors, then awesome times, yo

See so like I've been saying this for quite a while. It has inferior hardware, so it needs stuff that takes advantage of its one good/unique point. If it doesn't get that, even if its marketing is so good that it doesn't fall flat on its ass in the business sense, it'll still suck.

I am disappointed that there's no good swordfighting game with 1:1 controls. That would be what I want.

Defender on
    edited May 2007
    and shit, the duo that i got has an adapter that lets me use it as a memory card in my camera

so double bonus

Knob on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

See so like I've been saying this for quite a while. It has inferior hardware, so it needs stuff that takes advantage of its one good/unique point. If it doesn't get that, even if its marketing is so good that it doesn't fall flat on its ass in the business sense, it'll still suck.

I am disappointed that there's no good swordfighting game with 1:1 controls. That would be what I want.
    POTC 3 is going to do this.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited May 2007
    I really don't think Defender puts a whole bunch of thought into the games he buys. I think he is just like everyone else and buys a game that looks like he will enjoy. And if not that really sucks dude because you're missing out on a lot of great content by being overly analytical.

Javen on
    edited May 2007

POTC 3 is going to do this.

Ehhhh...that actually makes me a little nervous, simply because it's a license title. It could be good, though.

Defender on
This discussion has been closed.