As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

UK confectionary orders, make them here

kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge CreatorLondon UKRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in PAX Archive
Every time I go to PAX I'm asked by those that reside in the US to bring over some UK confectionary due to the fact that we seem to better at making it than those in the US. I did this with much success for PAX East and am more than willing to do so again for PAX Prime 2010.

Examples of British confectionary can be found here

If you really want to push the boat out I can also get some Thornton's Chocolate. It is a bit pricey though.

Let me know on this thread what you'd like and I'll see what I can do.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin on

• ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like Frys Turkish Delight, and Cadbury Cream, Flake, and Crunchie.

LPM brought me them at East and now Im in a half life roaming the earth trying to find them again.

ZeroHourHero on
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    heh! kropotkin stealing my thunder :P

I'll be bringing over lashings of choccie bikkies and suchlike for the Cookie Brigade :) Look for the guy in the yellow PAX VIRGIN shirt with the UK flag on the shoulder!

MelesMeles on
    edited August 2010
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    heh! kropotkin stealing my thunder :P

I'll be bringing over lashings of choccie bikkies and suchlike for the Cookie Brigade :) Look for the guy in the yellow PAX VIRGIN shirt with the UK flag on the shoulder!

Oh Rearry?

Hrm... Nice.

ZeroHourHero on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll be bringing over lashings of choccie bikkies and suchlike for the Cookie Brigade

......... what?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you can find me some Terry's Milk Chocolate Oranges, I'll love you forever! :D

Supposedly they make raspberry ones as well?

Heleor on
    edited August 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    I'll be bringing over lashings of choccie bikkies and suchlike for the Cookie Brigade

......... what?

lashings = lots of
    choccie bikkies = chocolate biscuits = cookies
    suchlike = other similar things

MelesMeles on
    edited August 2010

......... what?

lashings = lots of

Ah. Thank you for the translation from English to...... well, English.

:D

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was thinking about doing something similar, but for items from Japan, but since I'm going home before PAX, it may just be too much of a hassle. Might still bring a few things, however.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2010
    I was thinking about doing something similar, but for items from Japan, but since I'm going home before PAX, it may just be too much of a hassle. Might still bring a few things, however.

=O

Anything! I will gladly take anything! The best would be a can of Mountain Dew though.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2010

......... what?

lashings = lots of

You know, I didn't even notice the british slang until now. Somehow my brain just processed it into american without me even noticing.

Too much Doctor Who and IT Crowd probably.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

......... what?

lashings = lots of

You know, I didn't even notice the british slang until now. Somehow my brain just processed it into american without me even noticing.

Too much Doctor Who and IT Crowd probably.

Same here, probably for the same reason, that and an aunt from yorkshire

ZeroHourHero on
  • EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've noticed that the good ole US of A doesn't have Ribena.

This distresses me greatly. As such, i plan on bringing A LOT of Ribena along with me....somehow!

EscoBlades on
    tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not in the UK but some of the stuff is available in Canada as well (Commonwealth ftw :lol:). If I have room in my checked bag I'll bring a long a couple boxes of Coffee Crisp.

Also everyone who hasn't done this before be sure to know the import and export laws for foods, as well as taxes and duties. Either that or just fail to mention what your are carry [tiny]I don't actually recommend or condone doing this[/tiny].

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've read about Turkish Delight multiple times but have never actually seen or tried any, if you have space I'd love to try some! Are there any sweets from the US that you'd want in exchange?

Hypatia on
    edited August 2010
    2BigTrk.jpg

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks to old school Doctor Who (Tom Baker = Best Doctor Evar) I have always wanted to try Jelly Babies and stupid EPCOT doesn't ever carry them.

Sageheart on
    Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sageheart wrote: »
    Thanks to old school Doctor Who (Tom Baker = Best Doctor Evar) I have always wanted to try Jelly Babies and stupid EPCOT doesn't ever carry them.

Jelly Babies are awesome.

I'd love to get some of them, or some Turkish Delight. A gourmet store near me carries just about everything else I could want from a UK snack perspective (crisps, biscuits, chocolates, toffees, hell even Marmite).

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • PascualPascual Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll quite happily bring over (Smuggle) some UK goodies for all to enjoy :D

Pascual on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Custard creams went down rather well at PAX East as well as Jaffa Cakes.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• PascualPascual Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't what it is but Americans seem to have a thing about Jaffa Cakes!

Pascual on
  • CrendelCrendel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hypatia wrote: »
    I've read about Turkish Delight multiple times but have never actually seen or tried any, if you have space I'd love to try some! Are there any sweets from the US that you'd want in exchange?

They are amazing! Remind me of my childhood when my mom used to get them on our trips up to visit relatives. Haven't had them in years, so I have someone bringing me some when they come down.

The ones that I've had are the big turks (see pic abv). Good stuff!

Crendel on
    Geek Hybrid - I like video games and being outside!
  • inkedcatsinkedcats Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pascual wrote: »

Well, they're really good!

inkedcats on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got so busy with my Enforcer duties at PAX East that I forgot to collect my Galaxy bars that I'd requested. I'll try not to be so busy this year.

That said, I'd love to have a few of the big Galaxy Milk Chocolate bars if that's possible! :mrgreen:

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll gladly accept any flying saucers that anyone happens to end up with in their luggage. ;)

Jenny_Spaghetti on
    edited August 2010
    inkedcats wrote: »
    Pascual wrote: »

Well, they're really good!

I've never had that, or coffee crisps

ZeroHourHero on
  • ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    hmmmm http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/gallery.php has had me wondering about Hula Hoops and Curly Wurly. Oh, and the English version of Smarties. Maybe Wagon Wheels?

Scoots on
    edited August 2010
    Scoots wrote: »
    Oh, and the English version of Smarties.

Want some Smarties? One question though, do you eat the red ones last?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This stuff all sounds amazing. Wish I'd have actually had some of it before so that I could feel right about ordering some.

lemongrenades on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This stuff all sounds amazing. Wish I'd have actually had some of it before so that I could feel right about ordering some.

The key difference between UK confectionary and US/North American is that it is made using 'real' sugar and not high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS). This means it generally tastes a lot better. I can recommend a few items such as Boost Bars and Dark Chocolate Bounty Bars as being favourites of many in North America.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited August 2010
    I would like to try one of those Turk bars. I have heard many good things about them. Would someone mind bringing me one? If so, how and when would that person like to be compensated?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Penguin chocolate bars > all

*drools*

EscoBlades on
    tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
    edited August 2010
    I would like to try one of those Turk bars. I have heard many good things about them. Would someone mind bringing me one? If so, how and when would that person like to be compensated?

So Lewie P's Mummy brought me some Turk's at PAX East, and I had never had them before and she had to give me a lesson on eating them....

It was fun and delicious.

ZeroHourHero on
  • jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

So Lewie P's Mummy brought me some Turk's at PAX East, and I had never had them before and she had to give me a lesson on eating them....

It was fun and delicious.

What are these things that require a lesson in consumption?

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
  • JinkaJinka Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I remember my dad would bring home McVitte's chocolate orange covered digestive biscuits when he worked abroad, and I got some when I was in London 3 years ago. Do they still have those around?

Jinka on
    camo_sig.png
  • Da_MainManDa_MainMan Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    EscoBlades wrote: »
    Penguin chocolate bars > all

*drools*

I completely agree. If you bring Penguins and Raisin & Biscuit Yorkies I will give you money AND hugs :)

Da_MainMan on
  • ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Decius wrote: »

Should I? I've only had the fruity american Smarties.

Scoots on
    edited August 2010
    Decius wrote: »

Should I? I've only had the fruity american Smarties.

There isn't any flavour difference between the different colours. It was an ad campaign that ran in the 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynk7__yJ6zo

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • VariVari Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've wanted to try Turkish Delight since I was 6 and watching The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. What IS this glorious confection that encouraged Edmund to join the White Witch? I MUST KNOW! ^_~

Vari on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've had some homemade turkish delight before, as well as some that my parents brought back from some holiday. It's pretty excellent.

Wormdundee on
    edited August 2010
    Just so you guys know, I'll be bringing lots and lots of choccies and sweeties and lovely things. I'll be distributing them at random to everyone I see :)

If you would like to actually order something (so that I keep it for you), please PM me with what you want and how much of it (in terms of cost or amount). So for example, if you tell me Giant Turk, $10, I'll bring as much giant turk as I can buy for $10. Or you could just say Giant Turk, one bar. And then I'll do that too. I'm easy.

Also, if someone can buy/find a cheap tactical thigh pouch (the big dump pouches are ideal), I will trade them much chocolatey goodness for it. If you have one which you don't use anymore, that would be perfect, I just want it for carrying/distributing sweets/cookies. You can even have it back at the end of the weekend!

MelesMeles on
This discussion has been closed.