As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(IC)Hunter:Project FORT

Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Critical Failures
Interviews are concluded, papers are signed, oaths are sworn, and the new recruits are guided into a waiting room. They've heard rumors during their stay here, whispered bits of gossip traveling across the facility's rounded halls with surprising clarity, almost as if they were designed for it...

"I heard that guy we passed's going down to San Juan." "Didn't we lose some guys there?"

"Guy wit' the scar's talent, when they gave him his experience... ripped it's damn head off."

"I mean, she doesn't look like one of those Adamski creeps, but the way-""Shut up newbie!"
The characters have a short time to talk to each other before their briefing.

Edith Upwards on

• Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SGT Zak Motley stood with his back to the wall. It had become a habit. He scanned the people and the others in the room. Across from him was a tall tough guy. If he smiled more Motley would have mistaken him for Juggernaut from his old unit. But he could tell that this guy wasn't as nice as Juggernaut.
    A few seats down from the tough guy was a women. She was cute but the way she scanned the room he could tell she was a journalist of some kind. He didn't like journalist. They always wanted to know more and if they couldn't find some parts of the story, they made them up. More times then none some hot shot from New York Times had revealed how wild the Daredevils were. And more times then none some commander would tell them about public eye and representing the Army and U.S. Military.
    The last person in the room sat two seats away from Motley. He looked rough. Like someone had beaten him with a stick, had sex with his wife, and then told him he had cancer. He looked as though he was just about to break into pieces. Motley felt sorry for him. Motley's brother Adam had been that way after his wife was murder. They never found out who killed her, but Adam had drank himself to death. Motley remembers holding his mom as she cried. He wondered if he would see her again. He hadn't called her since he had gotten into the mess with the Lieutenant. She most likely hear what had happen, from the Military's point of view of course. But this didn't make him bitter. Better she didn't know that he's Lietenant had been eating his men.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Eleanor had little to say upon her arrival in the facility. She found an abandoned seat at a fair distance from the others, set a notebook before her, and began sorting through her documents. She'd been given a little heads-up of what to expect from her sources, not that she was going to count on that for much of anything.

A glance here and there to the others. A familiar face or two... so they weren't dead. Well, that was good. Experience always proved useful. As for the unfamiliar ones; she made mental note of them. Backgrounds to check up on whenever time allowed. If time allowed. Without a word, her attention went back to her notes, looking over the sparse information she'd been given.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dan leaned back in in his chair, eyes closed, as if napping. He wished he was. He'd had a hard time getting to sleep lately. Nightmares haunted him.

The pale face, the long fangs, and the frightened face of a young teenager. That horrible sucking sound.

Dan's eyes snapped open and he shook his head, banishing the images away, for a time at least. He needed to focus. These people, this company, they had contacted him. They knew what he'd seen, somehow. They knew vampires existed.

But what did they want with Dan? What would anyone want with him? He was a coward. Couldn't even tell a kid's parents what happened to their child, though he'd watched it with his own eyes.

Dan pulled a flask from his jacket and took a quick swig. Just something to calm the nerves.

And who were these others? A military man by his posture stood against the wall. A woman sat with a notebook, pretty obviously a reporter or close to it. The others? Well why not find out? Maybe they'd all...seen things.

Dan coughed loudly, then spoke, his voice rough. "I'm guessing we're all in the same boat, or bus, or whatever multi-passenger vehicle ya wanna call it. I'd rather talk then sit in silence, even if it's just chit-chat." Silence was bad, silence made you think, thinking leads to remembering. "My name's Dan." He was going to give his last name, but he glanced at the reporter. Maybe not now, until he knew a little bit more about why she was there.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The man who stood across the wall from Motley lit a cigarette, his expressionless face reminding he sergeant of the "thousand yard stare" he'd seen in PTSD cases... and in most others, they saw the scarred face of a guy who either didn't give a shit or had nothing to lose.

"I'm Hank," he said, exposing his large teeth, the deep scars on his face twisting as he spoke. "Give that flask here, Dan. Valkyrie bastards ain't let me have booze since I got here."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "SGT Zak Motley, Army Ranger." Motley said. He was sure the journalist would have figured out who is was before too long. "And your name, Mrs..."

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "Yes, a detective, a vigilante, and a soldier... your reputations precede you." The tip of a held pen tapped pointedly against a neatly formatted document tucked within the pages of her notebook, before she set it down, and looked over to the Sergeant with a sidelong glance. "Miss. Eleanor Richards. Eleanor will do."

Eleanor took up the pen again, and began tapping it rhythmically against the page before looking to the others. "I don't suppose you were given any more information than I was. That is to say, none at all."

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Motley had hoped that the flash of annoyance he felt didn't pass through his face. "You seem to have done your homework, ma'am. No, I wasn't told anything other then I was being reassigned."

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Reassigned. You got lucky, soldier boy."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dan passed the flask. "Valkyrie...Who are these guys anyways? I've never heard of them." Dan hesitated. Might as well throw it out there and see what sticks. "Any of you experience anything...strange before these guys contacted you?"

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "They're elites. That's all I know. So... whatever it is we're here for, it's probably something big."

The pen ceased its tapping once she noticed the arrival, who got a half-smile from her.
    "Well, another survivor. Casimir, wasn't it? And here I'd assumed you were all buried down there."

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Experience anything strange? Yeah. I was on Death Row and got executed."

Hank smoked his cig during the awkward pause.

"Nobody knows about Valkyrie because nobody tells. You don't work for Valkyrie. They own you. So get through your five stages of grief on that before I get on the job with you."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Motley gave Hank a grin. "Depends on what's going on around here. I've meet some secret forces in my time as a Ranger but I've never heard of these guys."

After Dan spoke Motley turned his attention towards him. "Define Strange. I've seen 9 year old girls blow themselves up because it is an honor to die during a holy war. I've seen a 50 cal kill 3 men from a mile away with them hiding behind a wall. I've eaten a rat burger once because we ran out of cow. You got anything stranger than that?" Motley didn't want to talk about his Lieutenant. Eleanor had that pen next to her pad. He rather not give her and her friend a story on a classified subject. There were rules against that in the UCMJ.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "I saw a coffeepot turn into an ape-demon, and then after a few minutes of wrasslin' I tore off its head. That strange enough for you, soldier boy?"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "I think Bubba got to you too much." Motley said. This soldier boy crap was starting to get on his nerves.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "I think I need a drink for this bullshit."

Hank swiped the flask from Dan's hand, and took a pull from it.

"...and these Valkyrie fuckers? If I told you their thing you wouldn't believe it. You'll find out."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Yes... terrible. We've all seen our share of bad things, it seems like." The pen was twirled between her index and middle fingers while she went over her documents. Not nearly enough information about these Valkyrie people, and she didn't like that.

"Whatever we're here for, it's equally bad if not worse, so best you all work out your differences in advance. I don't expect you'll have time later."

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "It's worse... trust me."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Suddenly, the door rattles, it's knob twisting and turning as the person on the other side pounds on it, before it finally opens. A short man in a red suit and dark slacks stands at the other side of the door, the door SLAMS shut soon after he's walked clear of it.

The man scowls at the door for a short time, before peering at the group. "Hank's here, right?"

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Yeah."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The man nods, takes a seat, and places his briefcase on the table, setting it to one side.

"You are here because you've all had... an encounter with things outside the normal human experience. Ghosts, monsters, spirits, and the undead. Each of you has displayed the talent required to be a member of our organization. We are Task-Force Valkyrie, established in nineteen forty-four by the Joint Chiefs of Staff in order to deal with Extra-Normal Entities, or ENEs" He clears his throat before resuming.

"Valkyrie is comprised of three departments. Project Twilight deals with those ENEs that look and act human. Project Fort, your department deals with intangible beings, otherworldly artifacts, and other occult matters. Project Adamski secures funding and sweeps everything under the rug. Any questions?"

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "What's the assignment, Skip? You wouldn'ta put anyone in the same room as me if we weren't going to the field."

Hank blew a cloud of smoke out of his nose.

"Nice suit, by the way."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Eleanor made a note or two, then raised a hand from the table. "So what, you expect us to hunt ghosts? I'm a reporter, not a paranormal investigator. I hope you have some kind of primer on what we'll be dealing with. Or do you just plan to throw us into 'the field' blindly?"

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Please tell me it's the second one. The food here sucks."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Eleanor wrote:
    "So what, you expect us to hunt ghosts? I'm a reporter, not a paranormal investigator. I hope you have some kind of primer on what we'll be dealing with. Or do you just plan to throw us into 'the field' blindly?"
    "Ah. We don't do that to our people. And FORT dudes don't just go after ghosts, you-I mean, they deal with strange lights, spontaneous vanishing-slash-disintegration, medical anomalies, cults, lost-time, just about everything our people notice that just doesn't make sense in conventional terms." An awkward pause occurs as the man searches for his next words.
    Hank wrote:
    "Please tell me it's the second one. The food here sucks."
    "Yeah, I know. It's so we have an excuse to get out, otherwise we'll just sit here, vegetating. Ohshitforgottointroducemyselfuh, I'm Kowalski, I manage requisition, read reports and brief personnel. Basically I do all the middle management stuff." He waves his hand. "Uh, to answer your questions, there are primers for this job, I've written a few pamphlets detailing what to do when dealing with the weird shit, and I'm just a phone call away, so, uh yeah." the man flips through the sheaf of papers in his briefcase, scanning it quickly.

"You guys are going in to work with two fairly experienced guys up in San Juan county. They go off for weeks at a time, so they'll probably need to be called in when you get there."

"So, any last questions before we move on to the main event?" Kowalski gestures toward a sleek chrome thing in his suitcase that looks vaguely like a window punch.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Let's just do this, man."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    More dealing with...things like that vampire?

Dan took a deep breath. He hadn't been able to face it before. Would he freeze up again? The thought of seeing more supernatural, or otherworldly things was intriguing. What else was he going to do?

"What about friends, family, what do we tell them?" Dan asked, though he wouldn't need to tell them anything. They wouldn't ask anyways.

"And I don't know about anyone else here, but I'd like to know just how much we'll be getting paid for dealing with this shit?" Hank had said they owned them, but that didn't mean Dan would do this for nothing. "And what's the catch?"

The thought of facing anything like the vampire was frightening, but also exciting. A chance to prove to himself that he wasn't chicken-shit.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hank tossed the flask back to Dan.

"Dan, this is government work. Not the happyface TV bullshit... the real one. And now, you're going to know some of what they know. What they were perfectly happy not to tell you before. Right, Skip?"

Kowalski ruffled a bit. Hank, with a talent common to many criminal thugs, had instantly made a nickname out of the 'ski' at the end of the surname, and the 'middle manager' clearly didn't like it.

"On second thought, do the kid a favor and lie to him so he doesn't think his life's over already."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Give the guy a break. He's just asking what everyone else here is thinking. Well, other then the 'daddy didn't love me so I stole cars' dead guy over there." Motley was starting shit. He knew it. But this was going to be a team and that mean everyone had to work together. Dan was already a mess. He didn't need someone bullying him.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "You got balls, man. That's good. We like that."

Hank wasn't kidding. His face slowly crossed with an ugly, big-toothed, scar-faced smile. Maybe it looked awful to some folks, but Motley had seen worse. Hell, it was actually sincere.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Time frame? Equipment? Will we need emergency contacts in case these ones are compromised? There's a lot you're not telling us, but that's typical of these kinds of operations, isn't it? If you've nothing more to share, then I agree; let's get it over with."

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dan shook his head. "I'd rather be lied to then not told anything at all." You could learn a lot from a lie, surprisingly.

He sighed and leaned back. "But don't worry, I get it. You're obviously not the type to ask too many questions."

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    With a soft click the door opens again, allowing in a second man in a suit. His however, is dark black and quite finely pressed. His hair is slicked back with some of that greasy gel that people tend to use and his face is full of smiles. For those that can see it, while the smile does reach up to his eyes, there is something slightly off about it. The lines around his eyes fall in just the wrong way, almost too sincere.

"Oh great, the rest of you got here. I was wondering when you would be along.", his smile continues as he looks at all the people around the room. "Why all the long faces? Did I miss something?"

He walks over to the table and puts one of those cardboard carrying cases of coffee down which is currently holding 6 cups. Cream and sugar on the side. "I guess I got here too early, so I let myself out and went down the hall to the employee lounge. Figured I would bring everyone coffee."

"Oh, and before I forget. The guard that let me in here dropped his keys, think you could give them back to him?" With a flourish he tosses the keyring to the man in the red suit.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Only Dan heard Hank whisper under his breath:

"Oh, shit."

Hank was the first to move up to the table and grab a cup of coffee in one of his big mitts.

"Thanks, pal," he said, cigarette dangling from his mouth. He went back to leaning on the wall, across from Motley, and kept his attention on his coffee and cigarette.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Motley wasn't fooled. This guy was a player. He could sweet talk his way out of Hell. But he would stab God in the back too if sweet talking didn't work. And who knows what was in the coffee. "Thanks for the offer, but I don't drink coffee." Motley said with a fake smile to match this new guy. "And what did you say your name was again?"

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The man smiles and gets a cup for himself as he nods knowingly to Hank. Heavy cream, heavy sugar. Stuff looks practically like yoohoo by the time he is done with it. He takes a long sip before looking over at Motley, "Oh well, your loss. Oh, and you can call me Vic, Sergeant Motley."

Vic had spent his time in the break room quietly reading the rather brief dossier on the new recruits that some careless employee had left behind. It is amazing that people just leave things like this lying around.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "No coffee? Huh. All the vets I know guzzle coffee and smoke like maniacs. I think it's contagious. I can't get enough of this shit."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kowalski stares at the new arrival with a startled look as the pilfered keys skid to a halt in front of him. "So-Vic, are you the guy Simmons was talking about, or did someone else send you?" And how the hell did you get that key-ring? No, he'd best ask that question later.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Vic takes another sip and just nods, "Simmons sent me down here. Apparently I was a late arrival and was added at the last minute. Lucky me, huh?"

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Depends whatcha call lucky."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Eleanor reached for one of the cups and drew it near, taking a sip. Dreadful stuff, but she thought she'd need it. "Not the word I'd be using either."

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png