As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii Thread?

1585960616264»

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    so yeah, we're in a 'wait and see' period

i picked up a wii anyway because i'm confident it'll turn out for the best

i mean, there's no guarantee, but nintendo's been pretty smart about not dropping the ball lately

Knob on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    defender POTC3 looks amazing

I have a preorder, and I never preorder games

Orikaeshigitae on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    so yeah, we're in a 'wait and see' period

i picked up a wii anyway because i'm confident it'll turn out for the best

i mean, there's no guarantee, but nintendo's been pretty smart about not dropping the ball lately

I did the same thing for a DS and I'm glad I did.

Javen on
    edited May 2007
    god i am so good at arguments

Knob on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    I really don't think Defender puts a whole bunch of thought into the games he buys. I think he is just like everyone else and buys a game that looks like he will enjoy. And if not that really sucks dude because you're missing out on a lot of great content by being overly analytical.

My strategy is basically this: I wait to see what's up with a game before I buy it. I pretty much never have anything new. I did buy GOW2 within like a week of its release, but other than that I do not jump on games. I buy games which look good, and I know people (including this forum) who get stuff when it's new. I use their trusted opinions to form an estimate about whether or not something is a good buy. So far, I have not had the misfortune of buying many bad games, and I've never run into a time when I don't have any games to play. I would like a new RTS, though, since I'm finding cracks in the interface to Warcraft III.

Defender on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Software is everything. Nobody really gives a damn about hardware "quality" in the long run. I hated the PS2, from its features to its controller, but you better believe I owned one because of its insane library of exclusives. Just like the PS2, I think the Wii will succeed in the end because it will be the console that everybody owns. It will definitely get the short end of the stick on most cross-console ports. I'll buy those on the 360. The Wii will be for exclusives, i.e. games that are designed specifically to take advantage of the remote. And it will get them in the near future with these sales, which in turn will drive more people to buy it, and more devs to start projects on it, and so on.

I think there's definitely room for both "types" of console in the market and I'm glad the Wii isn't the only option because I like my 360. Screw the PS3 though, I'll buy it when its price hits rock bottom to play the exclusives but that's it.

Zek on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    I really don't think Defender puts a whole bunch of thought into the games he buys. I think he is just like everyone else and buys a game that looks like he will enjoy. And if not that really sucks dude because you're missing out on a lot of great content by being overly analytical.

My strategy is basically this: I wait to see what's up with a game before I buy it. I pretty much never have anything new. I did buy GOW2 within like a week of its release, but other than that I do not jump on games. I buy games which look good, and I know people (including this forum) who get stuff when it's new. I use their trusted opinions to form an estimate about whether or not something is a good buy. So far, I have not had the misfortune of buying many bad games, and I've never run into a time when I don't have any games to play. I would like a new RTS, though, since I'm finding cracks in the interface to Warcraft III.

You should buy Dawn of War.

Javen on
    edited May 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Software is everything. Nobody really gives a damn about hardware "quality" in the long run.

What the fuck, dude. So why didn't Metal Gear Solid 3 come out on the PS1? Why do they even make new hardware?

EDIT: Seriously, are you pulling this "640K ought to be enough for anybody" shit? No, it's not. Doing newer things often requires newer tech. How can you possibly not realize this? Why don't make Super Paper Mario for the NES? Oh, because you can't do that because it's impossible for that hardware to handle that software.

Defender on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Butters wrote: »
    you know what i thought was a bad system

the psp

and now i have one and seriously i carry it around more than my ds

it finally occurred to me that the psp is not just a handheld videogame, which was the standard i was holding it to before i got one

What so you use it for MP3's or something? Cuz those memory-stick DUOs are pretty damn expensive and I was pretty confused when I found out they won't work in my Sony labtop's built in memory stick reader.

$40 for a 2 gig stick is expensive? fuck no it isn't

and you don't need a card reader because the psp funtions as one via a usb cable

Oh well they used to be expensive and I sill think it's dumb that I can't used my card reader.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited May 2007

You know, I've been thinking that lately.

Defender on
    edited May 2007
    yeah this kind of crap was important back when we were kids because odds are we either had a genesis or a snes and the guy that had both was some kinda richboy asshole

but now?

if i want a console i'll buy one

just because i have a 360 don't mean i can't get a ps3 or whatever

Knob on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    i will eventually pick up a wii

but right now i have a ps3, ds and awesome pc

i feel like i'd be decadent if i bought any more consoles

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited May 2007
    yeah this kind of crap was important back when we were kids because odds are we either had a genesis or a snes and the guy that had both was some kinda richboy asshole

but now?

I can't afford to do that. I have way too many other priorities lined up to drop money like that.

Defender on
    edited May 2007
    Software is everything. Nobody really gives a damn about hardware "quality" in the long run.

What the fuck, dude. So why didn't Metal Gear Solid 3 come out on the PS1? Why do they even make new hardware?

Are you stupid? I don't understand how anything you just said relates to my post at all. I'm saying that people buy consoles because of the games that are available on them. Everything else is just a minor consideration. You act as if the Wii's popularity will eventually crash because it is "bad hardware" but I'm saying that it won't happen because by then the Wii will have a steady stream of exclusive games to justify its purchase. Even if I grant you that the Wii can't do MGS4, which I'm sure it could with some cuts in the graphics department, there's plenty more that the Wii can do better than anybody else thanks to its controller.

Zek on
    edited May 2007

but now?

I can't afford to do that. I have way too many other priorities lined up to drop money like that.

well

sucks to be you then i guess

Knob on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    actually defender you would probably find a lot to like in Dawn of War.

Grab the latest expansion, it is stand-alone, dirt cheap (I found a copy at Best Buy a couple months back for twenty bucks), offers a really cool campaign mode and is really a great game.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Grab the latest expansion, it is stand-alone, dirt cheap (I found a copy at Best Buy a couple months back for twenty bucks), offers a really cool campaign mode and is really a great game.

mark of chaos is also great. much more like WC3 than doW.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    ricky-o, where are you finding info on PotC Wii having 1-1 sword controls? I haven't seen that.

Not being snide, genuinely interested.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited May 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »

mark of chaos is also great. much more like WC3 than doW.

I've heard that. I actually have my buddy's discs for that right now, but haven't had time to install it.

I heard it was a lot like Total War, without the depth of the campaign mode.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

but now?

well

sucks to be you then i guess

I own a genesis AND a super nintendo.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
    edited May 2007

Are you stupid? I don't understand how anything you just said relates to my post at all. I'm saying that people buy consoles because of the games that are available on them. Everything else is just a minor consideration. You act as if the Wii's popularity will eventually crash because it is "bad hardware" but I'm saying that it won't happen because by then the Wii will have a steady stream of exclusive games to justify its purchase. Even if I grant you that the Wii can't do MGS4, which I'm sure it could with some cuts in the graphics department, there's plenty more that the Wii can do better than anybody else thanks to its controller.

OK, now let me edit this together, because it's hilarious.

Are you stupid? ... Even if I grant you that the Wii can't do MGS4, which I'm sure it could with some cuts in the graphics department...

OK, that's it. I'm pulling rank here. I program games for a living. You have likely never even written a mod for Quake or Unreal Tournament or whatever. So since it's not coming from your own knowledge base, what is the source for this certainty that Metal Gear Solid 4 could run on the Wii if it just had "some cuts in the graphics department"? Do you really think that graphics are the only thing that require better hardware? How can you ask me if I'm stupid and then go on to assert that you think MGS4 could run on the Wii?

Defender on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

You know, I've been thinking that lately.

Not a C&C fan? C&C3's been pretty good to me.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fuck Dawn of War, Company of Heroes is >

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Jedi RenegadeJedi Renegade Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    C&C3 is a good game (even if it's not that good a successor to the spirit of Tiberian Sun), but Dawn of War is probably better in my opinion.

Jedi Renegade on
    metalsig.jpg
  • MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Speaking of God of War II, I'm playing through Titan mode now and jesus fuck

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
    edited May 2007

OK, now let me edit this together, because it's hilarious.

Are you stupid? ... Even if I grant you that the Wii can't do MGS4, which I'm sure it could with some cuts in the graphics department...

OK, that's it. I'm pulling rank here. I program games for a living. You have likely never even written a mod for Quake or Unreal Tournament or whatever. So since it's not coming from your own knowledge base, what is the source for this certainty that Metal Gear Solid 4 could run on the Wii if it just had "some cuts in the graphics department"? Do you really think that graphics are the only thing that require better hardware? How can you ask me if I'm stupid and then go on to assert that you think MGS4 could run on the Wii?

Okay, smart guy, then you tell me. What does MGS4 do that's so hot that it can't be recreated on the Wii? Suppose, graphics-wise, that it was on the level of MGS3. If it were simply a matter of a new campaign on MGS3's engine, theoretically the PS2 could do it. Are you going to tell me that MGS4's AI is so godly it would make the Wii's head spin?

Zek on
    edited May 2007
    If you're playing an RTS that isn't Starcraft it might as well be Company of Heroes.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited May 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote: »
    Speaking of God of War II, I'm playing through Titan mode now and jesus fuck

I got up to the Barbarian King and it's like JESUS I CAN'T MAKE ANY MISTAKES AT ALL.

I actually got him down to his final form but I kept fucking up.

Defender on
  • MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wonder if an RTS would work on the wii.

using the 'mote as a pointer, making gestures to send everyone to attack and gather vespene gas.

Munacra on
    edited May 2007
    Munacra wrote: »
    I wonder if an RTS would work on the wii.

using the 'mote as a pointer, making gestures to send everyone to attack and gather vespene gas.
    You'd have to stretch the definition of RTS kind of far.

But Battalion Wars 2 looks ballin.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    god i hate you guys

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
    edited May 2007
    I haven't turned my Wii on for two weeks.
    I'm in the middle of Sonic, PAper Mario, and a 4 heart TP run.

But.... Pokemon.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited May 2007
    Okay, smart guy, then you tell me. What does MGS4 do that's so hot that it can't be recreated on the Wii? Suppose, graphics-wise, that it was on the level of MGS3. If it were simply a matter of a new campaign on MGS3's engine, theoretically the PS2 could do it. Are you going to tell me that MGS4's AI is so godly it would make the Wii's head spin?

Burden of proof is on you, Zek. You're the one who said that "some cuts in the graphics department" were the only thing needed. I don't have the game, much less the source code, so I can't say for sure how they're spending their CPU cycles.

I can, however, tell you why MGS3 can't be on the PS1, since I've actually had the chance to play those games. And it's not just "graphics are too high-poly" or whatever.

You're the one who said you're sure that MGS4 could run on the Wii without any basis for that statement. Have you ever written a program on a PC? Like, even a little "hello, world" in C or C++? If not, why are you telling me that you are sure that an unreleased PS3 title could easily run on the Wii?

Defender on
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Ok, somebody else please make the new thread.

Preferably, somebody who will keep the first post updated with Friend codes.

Thanks. :)

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
This discussion has been closed.