As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metroid: Other M - let's talk about Samus' body some more guys

1565758596062»

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Her inner monologues in Zero Mission didn't help when she lost her suit. Then again, I don't want to read too much into that whole section of the game.

Didn't help how? What lines in it make her a "typical helpless woman" or whatever? Get specific so I know whether or not you're at least on to something or just crazy bonkers.

The whole point of that section was to show how frail she was without the suit. In fact, even she lost all her confidence right after her spaceship crashed. It's almost as if that suit was the only reason anyone would take her as a threat.

I doubt it gets any deeper than that. I'm sure some people might read a whole lot more into it, but that whole section of the game painted Samus in the wrong way. At least she regained her composure when she remembered back to her training with the Chozo.

Or maybe it was to show how capable she is without the suit. The fact that's she's brave and went right the fuck into the ship where she didn't stand a chance, munitions wise, but was still able to out-think and out-pace the enemy.

Why do you hate women?

Henroid on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I really don't get why the hell devs would want to make a more "normal" Samus is beyond me. She's never been the type of female character where the devs try to make her tough and girly. Nope, she's just Samus Aran, the bounty hunter who kicks so much ass and takes so many names that she has literally ended planets.

But no, by all means what we really need is a softer, more approachable Samus instead of the legendary one with plenty of backstory which has never been touched.

Well, they ARE trying to make Metroid more popular in Japan, after all - and while the Japanese acquaintances I have almost retch when talking about these things, that is a frequent move to "approach things to the general Japanese public" (you know, like "approaching something to the general American public" stereotypically involves dumbing down and beer. Methods are different - companies thnking their audiences are retarded... is universal :P).

Which if you ask me is a losing proposition likely to leave the series in a middle ground where everybody is lukewarm towards it, instead of the dual sandwich of money Nintendo seems to expect, but we'll see.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Her inner monologues in Zero Mission didn't help when she lost her suit. Then again, I don't want to read too much into that whole section of the game.

Didn't help how? What lines in it make her a "typical helpless woman" or whatever? Get specific so I know whether or not you're at least on to something or just crazy bonkers.

The whole point of that section was to show how frail she was without the suit. In fact, even she lost all her confidence right after her spaceship crashed. It's almost as if that suit was the only reason anyone would take her as a threat.

I doubt it gets any deeper than that. I'm sure some people might read a whole lot more into it, but that whole section of the game painted Samus in the wrong way. At least she regained her composure when she remembered back to her training with the Chozo.

Or maybe it was to show how capable she is without the suit. The fact that's she's brave and went right the fuck into the ship where she didn't stand a chance, munitions wise, but was still able to out-think and out-pace the enemy.

Why do you hate women?

I love women. I just hate when they are treated as second rate citizens.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You seem to be implying she's second rate without the power suit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually, I'd be most annoyed if they made her altruistic. I like thinking of her as not quite an anti-hero, but essentially in it for money/revenge.

She's been about as mystic as the Chozo for quite a while now. Revenge is big, sure, but she's highly disciplined and I haven't seen anything that would indicate she's in it for the money.

She's always been sort of a counterpart to Link or Mario, in a way - just out to right wrongs, except that she was too inexperienced to rescue her loved ones when it counted.

Wasn't she something like 5 years old when her parents died? Because while she does hate the Pirates, I really don't think she's got the whole "MY PARENTS ARE DEEEAAAD!" mentality going on. Pretty hard to blame yourself for being "inexperienced" when you just stopped wetting the bed.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's what I felt the game was doing when they took away her suit. It is the only Metroid game she goes without one. I have no idea if they'll do that in Other M.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay but what you felt wasn't their intent. So it's not a fault on Nintendo's part, they're not the ones making her into a "typical archetype."

It's you.

In your head, you're interpreting her to be typical, because your citations of evidence clash with what everyone else generally perceives to be happening. She hasn't been stripped of her status of strong and independent. You just secretly want her to, or something. I dunno. I'm not a psychiatrist.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, but Team Ninja doing the FMVs is still relevant to what I said - they've skewed Samus' physique, and were given the green light by Nintendo.

How did they skew her physique?

I mean, keep in mind, this is the last design prior to Other M that Nintendo themselves put out
    zerosuitsamus.png

EDIT: Wait, we're talking height here?

We're having a bloody argument on a matter of a few inches?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You should be one since you can just give me meds over the Internet.

Like I said, that whole section isn't well fleshed out in either gameplay or story (that is the first time in the game they even have Samus monologue). The manga didn't bridge the gap well either since it was mostly ignored for the better part of the game.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I actually did take a bit of issue with her boobs getting a bit bigger for Brawl but it wasn't that big of a deal. She's still tall and physically adept to fight.

In Other M they made her boobs even bigger and she does appear to be shorter. It's more apparent.

And to stress again: my taking issue with her physique changing doesn't mean I hate the game or won't play it. Criticisms and praises aren't zero sum or absolute.

Edit - Also that Brawl image I've used for a sig. Lemme find it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No way, bro. If you don't like something, then you're obviously just a hater.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TurboGuard wrote: »
    Samus moved at a pretty quick pace in Super Metroid, don't know what the fuck everyone is on about...

I found, going back to Super on VC right after beating Fusion and Zero Mission that Samus actually felt like she was running through molasses.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rehab wrote: »
    Okay, I didn't think this thread could get any creepier but it's getting there fast.

Maybe its just me, but this sounds really weird being voiced by someone with an Elf Cammy sig and av.

Wouldn't that be more of a red flag than anything?

I suppose, but I don't think anything from the last few pages got that creepy.

As far as motives and altruism goes, I have always seen Samus as someone who essentially was forged into who she is because of her environment and upbringing. Space pirates make her childhood a living hell, the Chozo see her contempt for the space pirates and her natural physical prowess, Samus quickly becomes driven by and devoted to revenge on those damn space pirates, the Chozo train her to become a weapon which lines up perfectly with the one desire that Samus herself has, and then when she matures she is given an amazing high tech and deadly armored suit, becomes a bounty hunter, and then its space pirate killing time! Also, metroids prove to be a real pest and so she comes to want to eliminate those too.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    TurboGuard wrote: »
    Samus moved at a pretty quick pace in Super Metroid, don't know what the fuck everyone is on about...

I found, going back to Super on VC right after beating Fusion and Zero Mission that Samus actually felt like she was running through molasses.

Both of those are a lot quicker. I think Samus gets up to top speed a whole lot faster in those. On top of that, the game's level design has it made for a lot more opportunities to exploit it.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Good god I love it when people bitch about the story of a game that isn't out yet

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Found it, and some iterations in order of made (some not used).
    samusjumpsuitsig.png
    seeyou1.png
    seeyou2.png
    seeyoublack.png
    seeyouwhite.png

Edit - Wow, too bad I didn't have this monitor back then because I didn't realize how jaggy-pixels some of those are.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This is a Tuesday release?

That's different for Nintendo.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What is with that three dimensional plus sign thing?

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That was the original logo for the Wii, which was then known as the Revolution.

Edit - Which, by the way, means that artwork of her for Brawl existed long, long ago.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Crazy, I didn't even know that they ever had a logo attached to that name.

Rehab on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually, I'd be most annoyed if they made her altruistic. I like thinking of her as not quite an anti-hero, but essentially in it for money/revenge.

She's been about as mystic as the Chozo for quite a while now. Revenge is big, sure, but she's highly disciplined and I haven't seen anything that would indicate she's in it for the money.

She's always been sort of a counterpart to Link or Mario, in a way - just out to right wrongs, except that she was too inexperienced to rescue her loved ones when it counted.

Wasn't she something like 5 years old when her parents died? Because while she does hate the Pirates, I really don't think she's got the whole "MY PARENTS ARE DEEEAAAD!" mentality going on. Pretty hard to blame yourself for being "inexperienced" when you just stopped wetting the bed.

I was drawing a comparison to Link and Mario. All three are brave adventurers with a strong sense of justice, but Samus doesn't have a princess to save. Anyone she would've wanted to save is gone.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Someone else handle the next iteration of this thread when we hit 100 (or I guess now is acceptable). Since I can't keep up with the media explosion that'll happen and I also can't play the game (not a Wii owner - yet).

And for the hell of it, Metroid avatars I've used here.

Samus.jpgSamus2.jpgsamus3.jpg

fancytroid.pngfancytroidxmas.pngannoyedsamusav.png

(that last one is her face in Brawl when she hits the 4th wall)

Edit - Apparently photobucket image URLs are case sensitive.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The woman can roll into the shape of a sphere. I'm not sure you can make many assumptions about how she fits in the suit.

I always liked how Metroid Prime dealt with that with the space pirates attempting to use that tech in the logs.

Science Team is attempting to reverse-engineer Samus Aran's arsenal, based off
    of data acquired from her assaults on our forces. Progress is slow, but steady.
    Command would dearly enjoy turning Aran's weapons against her. We believe we
    can implement Beam weapon prototypes in three cycles. Aran's Power Suit
    technology remains a mystery, especially the curious Morph Ball function. All
    attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster: four test subjects were
    horribly broken and twisted when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes.
    Science Team wisely decided to move on afterward.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    The woman can roll into the shape of a sphere. I'm not sure you can make many assumptions about how she fits in the suit.

I always liked how Metroid Prime dealt with that with the space pirates attempting to use that tech in the logs.

That will forever be among the best things in video games ever.

Goddamn I love the Space Pirates as villains.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I loved how normal, how human those logs made them feel. Despite being evil alien bug people, their society isn't all that different.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I loved how normal, how human those logs made them feel. Despite being evil alien bug people, their society isn't all that different.

Metroids are not to be kept as pets

Lemming on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When this comes out I am going to play it.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will miss that as a story telling device, but look forward to pretty shiny cut scenes. I must be the only one who doesn't mind that.

wow, this thread moves fast. Almost time for another, glad I made it in for the death rattle.

edit: maybe the next thread can be about boobs too.

brokecracker on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder how good space pirates can be at science with giant serrated pincers for hands.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    JJ wrote: »
    I wonder how good space pirates can be at science with giant serrated pincers for hands.
    tubes1u.jpg

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    *don't be the guy that points out the pincers aren't their arms, don't be the guy to-*

DAMN IT.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuubes

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    *don't be the guy that points out the pincers aren't their arms, don't be the guy to-*

DAMN IT.

You know I've always heard this too, but man, I dunno...

metroidv155.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Space pirate logs rock
    Hell scanning anything ever rocks, I love scanning

ALSO I saw Samus' body in the thread title and I came as quick as I could
    (haha)

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    But in Prime they have hands.

Maybe it's suits or something.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really don't understand space pirate biology at all

I'm okay with that though

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    EDIT AGAIN: new thread

Henroid on