As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vacation Destination

RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
This might sound a bit odd but my girlfriend and I are planning a vacation and couldn't decide where so we thought we'd ask here.

We've narrowed it down to the Caribbean but we can't decide exactly where. We don't want to be in a resort/hotel the entire time, so we are looking for somewhere with something more. Historical or offbeat/local stuff especially we tend to avoid touristy things, I know the Caribbean is nothing but touristy stuff but still.

Any recommendations about places you've been or cautionary tales of places to horrible go?

Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
Robziel on

• Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The only place in the Caribbean I've been to is Curacao. It's right next to Aruba. Lots of Dutch there and it wasn't incredibly touristy from what I remember. I had a decent time there, but we went on a port visit, so being out to sea for three weeks prior may have skewed my perception.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have personally been to the Bahamas, Jamaica, Cancun, and the Dominican Republic. I can say, that none of those places were some where i would want to go out traveling around the countryside. The resort that we stayed in were decent, but just outside the resort was not nice.

However, i had a good friend that went to St. martin and rented a car and drove around the island and experienced the culture and people and loved it.

A lot depends on how savvy of a traveler you are. If you speak the native language, and don't scream American. You could probably get away with some really interesting trips. I am not that guy, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

Thundyrkatz on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The only place in the Caribbean I've been to is Curacao. It's right next to Aruba. Lots of Dutch there and it wasn't incredibly touristy from what I remember. I had a decent time there, but we went on a port visit, so being out to sea for three weeks prior may have skewed my perception.

Curacao is a lot of fun. Much more laid back than some other Carribean islands. Relatively safe, nice beaches, some interesting things to do. I could sit on the canal in Willemstad and watch the bridge opening and closing all day--it's very relaxing.

St. John (USVI) is also very nice and off the beaten path. It is not very developed and is mostly national park land. There are beutiful beaches and lots of nature. You can take a ferry to St. Thomas if you feel like doing something more upbeat.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    arcticmonkeysfanarcticmonkeysfan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been to Cuba, the Dominican and Cancun. Of those three I'd say Cancun was the best. The resort I stayed at was nicer and cheaper than the ones in Cuba and the Dominican and there was actually stuff to do outside of it since Cancun is a pretty big city (bars/shopping etc.). If you're looking for touristy stuff you can take day trips to several nearby Mayan ruins/archaelogical sites. I spent most of my time on the resort so I ended up only going to Chichen Itza which was pretty interesting.

Dominican Republic for me was by far the worst of the three. Resort was not as nice, food not as good, most of the time the staff did not change the sheets with new ones (there was this same one dead mosquito stuck on the bottom corner of my sheets two days in a row), sometimes they forget to give you soap/shampoo etc. I imagine this is because it is a much poorer country than Mexico. Also, I went on a snorkelling trip in which an elderly German tourist drowned to death. I am not a very strong swimmer and we were told that they would be taking us to a place with very calm water, that was not too deep. I was imagining some sort of small lagoon or something. Instead they basically drove us out a couple kilometers or so into the open water where the waves were really big. I guess some water got into this German guy's snorkelling tube that you breath out from and he choked on it. Before anyone really noticed the waves had carried this guy a couple hundred meters away before his wife started screaming. So, yeah...

I must say that the Dominican did have the nicest beaches though.

Cuba was pretty good but I won't talk about it too much since I assume you are American and therefore forbidden to go there. There's also lots of stuff to do on resorts like para-sailing, boating, volleyball etc. too.

arcticmonkeysfan on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been wanting to go to Terre-De-Haute.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just a note I realized Robz forgot. As much as I would love to visit Cuba I cannot. :cry: And no its not because we're American. Americans cheat and go to Cuba frequently. You just can't take a direct flight there.

Thanks however so far for the replies. We're looking for somewhere fun, with nice weather for right over the Christmas break. Unfortunately however while we can get away with not screaming tourist in most American cities, I don't see either of us white people passing off as locals many other places in the world.

We do some touristy stuff but in general we try to avoid it. So anywhere with plenty of roaming space would rock. Curacao sounds like it may be a good choice 8-).

ransim on