As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Young Allies: The Best YA team in Marvel

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It wasn't hard to understand we just wanted to stir the pot a little. We all like Young Allies, but now that I know that it will be picked up through 2011 I'll buy the singles later today.

edit: Just got back from Midtown Comics, added YA to my pulls and picked up #1 and 2, you're welcome Furu.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm crying a single tear of joy.

And here's a preview of YA #3.

Furu on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    I'm crying a single tear of joy.

And here's a preview of YA #3.

I have an honest question Furu (and I'm not taking the piss) but why do you enjoy this book so much?

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I could type some really long complex and deep Munch-like answer to that question but to put it simply it's a writer I love working on a book with obscure characters I love (seriously the Arana fanbase is like me and five other people) and the whole not-really-a-team and supervillain kid concepts really interest me. Essentially the book is nothing but pure, raw potential. It could end up doing pretty much anything since only one of its characters has any real extensive history. It could go anywhere and I'm excited by the prospect in a market dominated by books starring characters that have been around for 40+ years repeating the same cycles of story arcs.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I could type some really long complex and deep Munch-like answer to that question but to put it simply it's a writer I love working on a book with obscure characters I love (seriously the Arana fanbase is like me and five other characters) and the whole not-really-a-team and supervillain kid concepts really interest me. Essentially the book is nothing but pure, raw potential. It could end up doing pretty much anything since only one of its characters has any real extensive history. It could go anywhere and I'm excited by the prospect in a market dominated by books starring characters that have been around for 40+ years repeating the same cycles of story arcs.

Interesting. You have a point regarding how these are new characters with lots of possibility and opportunity that should be given a chance.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yes!

Also gotta be honest part of it is because I really want Nomad and Arana to become Marvel's first non-lame lesbian couple

Furu on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes!

Also gotta be honest part of it is because I really want Nomad and Arana to become Marvel's first non-lame lesbian couple

You weren't down with the Mystique/Destiny mutie lovin'?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Doesn't count because Mystique grows a penis for the occasion, at least according to Claremont.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    #3 was good, although I deduct 5 points for three too many pages tying into the Bastards of Evil. McKeever is setting it up almost like we will see more of them past this arc, which I don't really want to see because they're all annoying punks. If one of them joins the team instead of Jolt I will be sad. Use them as a foil to explain the formation of the team and then move on with something better.

He's also Goldbluming Gravity, which is scary.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Goldbluming? Gravity's going to be in Jurassic Park 2?

Furu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv6mA0qyOo4

I didn't realize so many people haven't watched Community. It's basically Doomwar in TV form!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't wait for that show to start back up again.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ooooh

Anyway, yeah, good issue! (Although it manages to get beaten out by the Nomad back-up in Captain America this week) But at this point I'm actually kind of hoping they just plow through the Bastards because I'd like to see some different villains.

Furu on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, apparently in Marvel's recently put-out listing of subscribable comics, "Hawkeye and Mockingbird" can be subscribed to, but not "Young Allies".

Which is interesting, because one would think that "Hawkeye and Mockingbird" was more of a mini-issue run than Young Allies.

Things are not looking good for Young Allies.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man I will hurt you and your lady friends so bad if you curse this now that I've invested in it. Although, H&M is awesome, without even realizing they share a department store name.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    So, apparently in Marvel's recently put-out listing of subscribable comics, "Hawkeye and Mockingbird" can be subscribed to, but not "Young Allies".

Which is interesting, because one would think that "Hawkeye and Mockingbird" was more of a mini-issue run than Young Allies.

Things are not looking good for Young Allies.

They're at least going to 2011 sssoooo

Furu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Remember when Omega Flight was supposed to be 12 issues? And after the first issue hit they crunched it into a disappointing 5 issue mini? It's gonna happen here (unless McKeever has pictures Quesada or Brevoort don't want released to the public).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Remember when Omega Flight was supposed to be 12 issues? And after the first issue hit they crunched it into a disappointing 5 issue mini? It's gonna happen here (unless McKeever has pictures Quesada or Brevoort don't want released to the public).

Speaking for the public, we don't want those photos released either.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It will be Quesada smoking! His deep dark secret revealed! Worse than Harry doing drugs.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Loved #3, but got kinda angry at Firestar getting pissy with Gravity about contacting her. First she complains about not being kept in the loop and in the next breath is ripping on Grav for asking some friendly advice, bitch much? If they cancel this series another piece of my withering soul will die. I promise you this.

On a side note Tex, just finished marathoning the first half of Community and its already up there with Arrested Development for me. Finishing the season tonight :D

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had to re-read the part where Firestar berates Gravity for not just contacting the girls, and then a few pages later is browbeating herself for not contacting the girls. I thought I had muddled up speech bubbles but...no, it just doesn't make much sense.
    Oh well.

NODe on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wait until The Science of Illusion, Moder American Poultry and Modern Warfare, you will be sooooooo streets ahead.

But yeah, Firestar kind of got angry too fast, but I don't know if it's to emphasize the imminent macking Firestar and Gravity will be doing or if this is more of a tie-in to post cancer Angelica.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I was thinking it might be about her dealing with the cancer, but still pretty rapid aggrivation. But i did love the part with Toro dealing with the gang members, just quick and classy. Looks like his whole illegal-immigrant-that-wants-to-kill-but-is-actually-good deal is being written shockingly well.

"Debate 109" was classic, i just love any show that tells Political Correctness where to go and what to do with itself.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think Firestar snapping at Gravity was odd, her stress level has been pretty clearly established. Her reaction once her and Gravity are on the way to meet the girls makes little sense though.
    It feels to me like McKeever tweaked one or the other of those scenes and a bit of coherency got lost in the shuffle.

Anyway, very minor issue in an enjoyable book.

NODe on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I guess you could say firestar was a bit

hot-tempered

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    She was really getting gravity down ?

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    gank that was a terrible follow-up

you ruin everything

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's why i'm here.

Edit: Also, when one is impersonating the Great Horatio can one be anything but terrible?

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The villain for #6 is apparently a Firestar villain?

Firestar has villains?

(other than cancer I mean)

Furu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Anyone else thinks it's weird that Firestar is teaming up with people she barely knows, but blowing off her other superhero friends. Surely Monica Rambeau alone could take down the Bastards of Evil.

To me, it just highlights the team's main problem, which is that these people have nothing to unite them apart from their age. I'm sure that would change after some time, but right now I see this book as another arbitrary team-up without established promise for the long-term.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't think it's that weird. Quite a few people died in Warhead's explosion. Each of the "team" members feels personally responsible that the Bastards got away.

It makes about as much sense as the Avengers getting together, and in the YA's case they're not going to be that kind of team anyway.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The villain for #6 is apparently a Firestar villain?

Firestar has villains?

(other than cancer I mean)

That dude who was revealing identities of heroes around Civil War and was a member of the New Warriors, does that count as a villain?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So the Firestar villain turns out to be...Emma Frost. herp derp

ANYWAY McKeever made an interesting tweet
    Who do you want to see the Young Allies up against?

and this is a question I propose to the thread as well

Furu on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Atlas!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Teen Titans.

But, in an eating competition.

Edit: Or Turner D. Century.

New-school heroes v.s. goofy old-school villain? I could enjoy that.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Dark Young Avengers, because they need more screen time.

But Turner D. Century would also be hilarious, especially since he's a psychotic defender of antiquated values and probably hates teens.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Power Pack.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Atlas!

That or Pet Avengers.