As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sherlock - Not now! I'm in shock. Look, I've got a blanket.

• JohnOrangePeelJohnOrangePeel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    johnwing wrote: »
    i thought it was the end of this series. They were doing just 3 of them right?

My mistake, twas only a 3 parter :?

JohnOrangePeel on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This show guys. This show.

I've read every single Sherlock Holmes story and this show gets it all so right.

The ending... Oh man... WANT MORE!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It seemed to rely a bit on the police and forensic services being completely useless thereby giving things for Holmes to work out. Good fun though.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It seemed to rely a bit on the police and forensic services being completely useless thereby giving things for Holmes to work out. Godd fun though.

I haven't watched ep 3 yet, so a few things.. I have a sneaking suspicion that
    Moriarty is Dr Watsons girlfriend.
    I'm probably wrong on that but little things peeked my suspicions in the second ep.

Also, I just don't get the whole police being incompetent at forensics. The UK is a pioneer in modern forensics. Ok, I can perhaps buy the police being incompetent but not forensics.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "The police are incompetent" is pretty much straight out of the books, written over a century ago.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It just seemed especially odd with the modern setting. I get why they did it - it is kinda in keeping with the original stories.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • JohnOrangePeelJohnOrangePeel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They aren't really incompetent, they just have a backlog several hundred cases long so analysis takes a while.

Sherlock has less on his plate,
    BANG BANG BANG

Watson: What are you doing?!

Holmes: BORED!!!

JohnOrangePeel on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BobCesca on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wait ep 3 is all there is? there will be no ep 4?

how can you do that :(

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • UnterpreizUnterpreiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    japan wrote: »
    I am extremely disappointed that Moriarty is basically
    Graham Norton's little brother

Good episode though on the whole. Maybe Moriarty will evolve as a character as the series goes on.

I really have no idea
    what was going on with that accent. It started out kind of Lloyd Grossman type Massachusetts and ended up as some kind of odd Northern Irish.

I noticed the thing with the accent too, and I'm wondering if its part of the smoke screen; hiding the truth about his origins to Sherlock. I suppose it could have just been the actor hamming it up. I'm also considering if they're picking the series up for a second run, its possible that is not the real Moriarty and kind of just a mouthpiece for the actual arch-nemesis. Either way, they've got my attention should the show return in a few months time!

Unterpreiz on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wait ep 3 is all there is? there will be no ep 4?

how can you do that :(

They've confirmed that a second series will be made. With the phenomenal ratings these episodes got they'd be mad not to.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • StuartenhaffenStuartenhaffen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Unterpreiz wrote: »

Good episode though on the whole. Maybe Moriarty will evolve as a character as the series goes on.

I really have no idea
    what was going on with that accent. It started out kind of Lloyd Grossman type Massachusetts and ended up as some kind of odd Northern Irish.

I noticed the thing with the accent too, and I'm wondering if its part of the smoke screen; hiding the truth about his origins to Sherlock. I suppose it could have just been the actor hamming it up. I'm also considering if they're picking the series up for a second run, its possible that is not the real Moriarty and kind of just a mouthpiece for the actual arch-nemesis. Either way, they've got my attention should the show return in a few months time!
    I got the impression that the actor was Irish, and told to lose the accent, but failed. I have to admit that I preferred it when Moriarty was just a name. I'm sure the writers will make it work, but knowing that Moriarty is a young adult with accent problems makes him less imposing

Stuartenhaffen on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Moriarty
    That's the worst Moriarty I've ever seen.

Cabezone on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Moriarty
    That's the worst Moriarty I've ever seen.

How so?

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I really have no idea

I got the impression that the actor was Irish, and told to lose the accent, but failed. I have to admit that I preferred it when Moriarty was just a name. I'm sure the writers will make it work, but knowing that Moriarty is a young adult with accent problems makes him less imposing
    I like the idea that he was shifting his accent in an effort to fool with Sherlock, who would be using anything he could to gather more information about Moriarty. It was a little too obvious for it to simply be the actor messing it up, I doubt they would have cast their Moriarty so haphazardly. The ridiculousness of his voice is very much on purpose, so I find it hard to believe the rest wasn't as well.

Kronus on
  • UnterpreizUnterpreiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kronus wrote: »

I really have no idea

I like the idea that he was shifting his accent in an effort to fool with Sherlock, who would be using anything he could to gather more information about Moriarty. It was a little too obvious for it to simply be the actor messing it up, I doubt they would have cast their Moriarty so haphazardly. The ridiculousness of his voice is very much on purpose, so I find it hard to believe the rest wasn't as well.
    Based on the earlier scene in which M appeared, the actor kept a pretty solid accent-- seemed like a northern one, but I'm no expert on the intricacies of English dialects :P

Shifting the accent around to fool Sherlock makes sense, and...well to go along with his criminal side, perhaps he was being a bit theatric. Sherlock's ego appreciates a good boost now and then (part of the reason in this series he likes keeping Watson around), think about how another criminal genius feels being behind the scenes constantly...bit cabin feverish perhaps? Makes sense he'd be a bit off-balance, and want to really ham it up.

Unterpreiz on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Moffat on Moriarty:
    "We knew what we wanted to do with Moriarty from the very beginning. Moriarty is usually a rather dull, rather posh villain so we thought someone who was genuinely properly frightening. Someone who's an absolute psycho," Moffat said.

"In a way Moriarty is the man who makes Sherlock a hero … he's a rather amoral character Sherlock Holmes, so you want someone for him to respond to that turns him into the hero he's sort of destined to be."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/10/sherlock-second-series-bbc

Hmm... Moriarty/Joker? :P

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I finally got round to watching the last two episodes - the second one wasn't as good as the others overall, but it really picked up in the middle.

The last one, though, was magnificent. Plenty of detectoring and floaty word graphics :D

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    About Holmes and Moriarty:
    They're definitely playing up Holmes' asshole side to a degree that we never actually saw in the stories. Holmes in the novels was impatient with the social niceties, but he wasn't a sociopath; he had compassion and empathy and often went beyond merely solving the puzzle to being a dispenser of justice, handing out fitting punishments to the guilty and rewards to the deserving. And in the first two episodes the lack of those humane qualities has kind of bothered me, because instead of being in awe of Cumberbatch's Holmes I just kind of wanted to slap him, and I couldn't tell if that was down to his performance or the writing.

So Moffat's comment gives me hope, because it suggests that what they're doing here is taking the Holmes from the very first story, "A Study in Scarlet," who actually was the kind of young, flip, eminently punchable grad student type that Cumberbatch is playing, and putting him through an arc that wisens and humanizes him through contrast with his heartless doppelganger.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I almost think any reservations about the Moriarty reveal are excused by the Jim'll Fix It reference.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Moriarty's accent seemed fine to me. He was doing different voices because he meant to do different voices, not because his accent slipped unintentionally.

Bogart on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I definitely read the "shifting face of evil" thing going on there. You start out thinking "WHAT, the hospital guy?" and then you realize that there never was a hospital guy to begin with--that was just another identity for him to play out and discard.

Extremely excited to hear there's more coming.

Edit: Did anyone else watching the pre-opening scene think "HOLY SHIT ALAN RICKMAN"?

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Complaints about Moriarty are crazy talk. About as crazy as Moriarty.

That was a great performance, he was a genuinely frightening presence, I had no idea what he was going to do, what he could do. He appeared absolutely and totally psychotic, and from the Moffat quote above that's what they were aiming for so good job.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Edit: Did anyone else watching the pre-opening scene think "HOLY SHIT ALAN RICKMAN"?
    Yep :(

Seol on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seol wrote: »
    Yep :(

Yeah - I even went as far to be impressed that they got him as Moriarty while at the same time thinking that Alan Rickman was getting yet another evil mastermind role :P

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gripe about the beginning of episode 3:
    Ummmmmmmmm. Really? Grammar policeman? No. I know this is a modern interpretation of Sherlock and all that but one of Sherlock's gifts is being able to comprehend just about anyone given their own mode of conversation, innit? I find it weird that Sherlock would deride a prisoner for Cockney grammar.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Ummmmmmmmm. Really? Grammar policeman? No. I know this is a modern interpretation of Sherlock and all that but one of Sherlock's gifts is being able to comprehend just about anyone given their own mode of conversation, innit? I find it weird that Sherlock would deride a prisoner for Cockney grammar.
    Yes, but he's a dick.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Yes, but he's a dick.
    Yeah but that's a really lowbrow form of dickery. And I admit that even canon Sherlock isn't above some lowbrow, goading-type dickery from time to time, but I dunno, haven't we already gotten past the "grammar police" kind of argument already? I mean I think it's as outmoded now as "arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics..." kind of nonsense was.

I dunno, it's not a big deal. It just irked me.

Drez on
    edited September 2010
    The guy was a murderer. Sherlock was having some fun with him by baiting him.

Bogart on
    edited September 2010
    Bogart wrote: »

Clearly I am aware of that. I just feel it is the kind of petty mockery that "Sherlock Holmes" generally doesn't engage in.

Again, I realize this is a modern interpretation and not canon Holmes, but it still irks me. It irks me when someone pulls that grammatarian card here on D&D, so of course it'll irk me when a figure like Sherlock Holmes does it. I tend to associate the practice with silly goosery now.

That's all I'm trying to say.

I love the series though, don't get me wrong. Maybe my gripe is as petty as Holmes' goading was.

Drez on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Clearly I am aware of that. I just feel it is the kind of petty mockery that "Sherlock Holmes" generally doesn't engage in.

Again, I realize this is a modern interpretation and not canon Holmes, but it still irks me. It irks me when someone pulls that grammatarian card here on D&D, so of course it'll irk me when a figure like Sherlock Holmes does it. I tend to associate the practice with silly goosery now.

I love the series though, don't get me wrong. Maybe my gripe is as petty as Holmes' goading was.

It's pretty clear that one of the long term goals of the series is to redeem this Sherlock Holmes. There are tons of dialogue cues that suggest that the character in these serials is insanely flawed - possibly damn close to being a villain himself - and that the role of Watson is to mold him into a better human being.

Phillishere on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know. I thought it was exactly the sort of thing this Holmes would do. I enjoyed it myself.

Edit: Phillishere put it well. :D

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010

It's pretty clear that one of the long term goals of the series is to redeem this Sherlock Holmes. There are tons of dialogue cues that suggest that the character in these serials is insanely flawed - possibly damn close to being a villain himself - and that the role of Watson is to mold him into a better human being.

Fair enough. Even canon Holmes often displayed compassion, or at least a desire to see justice done. Moreso than this Holmes. I hope you are correct. Lestrade's comment "he's a great man, maybe some day he'll even be a good one" lends a lot of support to your interpretation. I just don't want this show to become "teach the sociopath how to be human" though, or at least not focused on it. I personally feel Psych was better in the earlier seasons, when Shawn wasn't so sappy. Not that I dislike it now, but eh, you know.

Drez on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My sister (and myself to a lesser degree) is a Sherlock fanatic. She just stared at the screen slackjawed in episode 3 when Moriarty showed up. D:

Definately this show ranks up there with the Jeremy Brett version of Sherlock Holmes.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited September 2010
    So I just finished episode 3 (I know, I watched slowly). I loved it, and I can't wait until next year.

This show made me extremely sad that John Doe went off the air after only one season. To me, that was one of the best "consulting detective" shows. It was really slick and I loved the temperament of the main character.

This was fantastic, though. Can't wait for more.

Drez on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whee, this is going to start airing in Canada.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought it was phenomenal as well. I usually just watch BBC shows for the comedy, but if the drama is this good as well, I have some catching up to do.

Are there any other dramas of this quality on BBC?

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
    edited September 2010
    devCharles wrote: »
    I thought it was phenomenal as well. I usually just watch BBC shows for the comedy, but if the drama is this good as well, I have some catching up to do.

Are there any other dramas of this quality on BBC?

Jekyll, which is also by Steven Moffat, is available for streaming on Netflix, and it's really good. It's a modern-day sequel to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited September 2010
    Some BBC drama is this good. Some is mediocre and some is utter piffle. but they produce an awful lot of it, and have been doing so for many, many years.

Other recent fantastic drama includes State of Play (made into a duff film with a Hollywood cast), Spooks, Wallander and Occupation. Classic BBC drama you might want to hunt down includes Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, starring Alec Fucking Guiness as spymaster George Smiley, a million costume dramas (Tess of the D'Ubervilles, Bleak House, Little Dorritt, Pride & Prejudice, Cranford, etc), Talking Heads, Clocking Off, Edge of Darkness, Life on Mars, Messiah, blah blah blah.

Bogart on