As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Ruler] Indie 4x game of greatness? Signs point to yes.

• Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    keep listing things.

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Firgof wrote: »
    Okay, I'm already buying your game, but I need to know: can I smash a planet into another planet?

Because I've always had this dream, you see
    Hahaha. Not at the moment. You'd need to give one of the planets engines and a Ram order. Ram hasn't made it into the game yet and planets can't quite yet be given engines. Both of those are planned and both of those will make it into the game, whether by Release or shortly thereafter.

Also, if the Tractor Beam/Drive makes it into the game at some point, you can nix the engines on the Planet as long as you own that Planet and can give it a Ram order. At least, as long as Ram is a 'wait until nearby, then hit object with mass*inertia damage; also take mass * inertia damage to the Hull'.

Granted, you could probably accomplish this through modding the game anyway even if we don't get those in on time, assuming you know how to give acceleration and orders to objects under your control. Might require a little brain and finger work to get to function but there's no limitation preventing that from occurring right now other than that Objects cannot currently 'collide' and deal damage to each other (our movement solution isn't quite perfect yet so we'd rather not penalize the player by blowing up their stuff when their ships collide with stars/planets, etc. by accident [see X3 and AI ships when docking occasionally])

You have created the greatest video game of all time

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • FirgofFirgof Blind Mind Studios - Co-lead Developer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hahaha. I'm just trying not to disappoint y'all with "vaporware features" if we don't make enough sales to keep going is all.

We need 16,000~ sales to not only actually open up a studio in WV but salary ourselves plus some other folk for a few years. We don't need that money to keep working on the game of course. I only need about $450 a month. My boss I'm sure would like to move into an apartment somewhere. So maybe enough to keep us both in the green bills-wise for a year at maybe $1,500 a month. I think that's something like 1,000 sales; nothing too horrific but still a huge number to me.

We're only two guys after all; we don't cost all that much and we're both willing to take cuts to our salaries to keep adding on to Star Ruler. It's our dream game after all.

To be very candid:
    The game isn't "feature-complete" yet and it is not a AAA title. I should probably take a moment to clarify here that when I say "not feature complete". I don't mean you're going to get a game that has nothing in it. It just isn't shipping out the way we wanted it to ship out.

We're only releasing this month because we absolutely can't hold out any longer -- I've hit 0 money and Reaper has none to pay me -- it's do or die and we'd at least like to give Star Ruler a chance. We're dedicated to making this game a milestone in 4X history and the game holds a huge amount of potential. The question is whether that's enough to keep us on our feet to realize the whole game from top to bottom and whether the reviews that come out for the game sink or float us. We're still going to keep going regardless for as long as we can but I can't guarantee anything. Our beta testers are excited, though, and their experience with the game so far has been positive; they're certain the game will be a hit as long as we keep going. I'm banking on the hope that they're right. :)

(Oh, we'd also like to actually have ship models that are actually somewhat 'built' out of the components you put on a ship. That's -really- hard to do though and would require a lot of dedicated art to accomplish it, on top of the technical research to see if it would even work but we'd still like to do it. )

Firgof on
    Co-Lead Developer, Blind Mind Studios
    Click here to visit our thread on Penny-Arcade
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think I'm going to wait for the release, and see what all these dudes here that pre-ordered say.

I am really enjoying the soundtrack though. Even if I don't get the game, I'll probably have to buy the OST.

Are there different races with different little perks?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited August 2010
    Are there different races with different little perks?
    Not quite yet; we intended to have those in before release but things have proceeded (much) slower than anticipated due to various slow-downs (seen above). It should be in shortly, most of the code to do it is already available; we just need the time to actually implement it.

When it's in it'll work somewhat similarly to MoO2 (perks and advantages in a point-buy system with the ability to take disadvantages, etc.) as currently designed.

Firgof on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This game sounds amazing, even though I'm not really into other big space 4x games.

About it not being "feature-complete," as long as it's a fun incomplete game, I don't think you'll get many complaints around here. Shit, Survival Multiplayer in Minecraft barely works and that thread is still filled with praise.

BloodySloth on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait, it lets you shoot a STAR to blow it up? Oh my. :)

Phoenix-D on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This sounds like pretty much what I've always wanted from a 4x game. I'll gladly throw in for a preorder when my paycheck comes in.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    My brother and his friends love Sins, so I'll tell them about this. I'm sure they'll love a long-ass 4X game where you can blow up stars and doom whole solar systems.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    That whole "there are too many other games like this on Steam" thing doesn't quite make sense to me. What do they have to lose by adding this game among the other spacey-4x games? There is no shelf space in virtual land, no inventory to get backed up. What can be hurt by giving the gamer more choices?
    Considering some of the awful, awful indie shit that Steam makes room for on their service this boggles my mind since the 4X genre isn't exactly overrepresented..

Silpheed on
  • cwoaccwoac Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am entirely 100% in support of indy developers making 4x games that involve planetary / star explosions. If said objects are exploding because of collisions with other planets, then add at least another 10%.

Also yay for games which quite frankly overreach themselves rather than polishing safety.

You have my money. And some advice: pimp it more! Send copies to RPS and PA and the like. You sirs have some fine product of the sort they would enjoy.

cwoac on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I agree with cwoac. Send out some copies, especially to PA. Tycho, as I recall, is a big 4x nerd. If he mentions it on the website you'd more then likely see your preorders triple at the very least.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I started reading this and was like "So research blah blah" with my early questions. Super important for me. I'm incredibly short on funds, but hey, I should be getting a gig soon, unless I tank the shit out of every audition I'm doing right now, I'll have to see a bit if I can really just throw money in.

Then I saw that there is an actual answer to "How many lasers can I fire" and you can attack stars.

Oh and ramming planets isn't in yet

My credit card was stolen and I'm waiting for the new one. But as soon as that comes hellooooooooo preorder

Khavall on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Axen wrote: »
    I agree with cwoac. Send out some copies, especially to PA. Tycho, as I recall, is a big 4x nerd. If he mentions it on the website you'd more then likely see your preorders triple at the very least.

Yeah, look at what happened with Minecraft - they got a shoutout on the official TF2 blog (which never happens, admittedly), and his alpha orders went through the roof. It just takes one good piece of exposure... A similar thing happened with Dwarf Fortress and the PA blog.

Michael H on
  • ZapstarZapstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We're going to be shooting STARS
    And their going to EXPLODE
    And Kill EVERYONE
    Causing them to be INCINERATED
    or FREEZE

Nothing like the smell of a Dieing star in the morning.

(You've got my pre-order)

Zapstar on
    "For the grateful Fatherland and the glorious struggle. Honour and blood within this Iron Cross."

"With Krupp steel and Porsche engines, who can defeat us?"
    edited August 2010
    Axen wrote: »

Yeah, look at what happened with Minecraft - they got a shoutout on the official TF2 blog (which never happens, admittedly), and his alpha orders went through the roof. It just takes one good piece of exposure... A similar thing happened with Dwarf Fortress and the PA blog.

I'd love to send a copy out to Tycho. Didn't know he was a 4X nerd. I'll need to get Reaper to bolster the website for the incoming traffic though because this happened while I was sleeping:

http://kotaku.com/5608883/the-indie-battles-of-an-endless-universe
    You've got my pre-order
    Thanks, man. :D

Firgof on
    edited August 2010
    Oh another question.

How much defensive structure and planetary defense stuff can we have? Can we build nice big starbases that would take fleets to destroy and whatnot? And I assume since we will be able to attach engines to planets eventually, that we'll be able to do things like attach weapons to planets? And have giant missile launchers and shit on our planets?

I mean, I'm preordering as soon as I have the means to do so, but also starbases are awesome things.

Khavall on
    edited August 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    Oh another question.

How much defensive structure and planetary defense stuff can we have? Can we build nice big starbases that would take fleets to destroy and whatnot? And I assume since we will be able to attach engines to planets eventually, that we'll be able to do things like attach weapons to planets? And have giant missile launchers and shit on our planets?

I mean, I'm preordering as soon as I have the means to do so, but also starbases are awesome things.

You can already attach weapons to planets and you can have as many weapons on a planet as the planet has room for them.

Since the only difference between a starbase and a ship to the game is whether the ship has engines or not: Certainly, yes.

Firgof on
    edited August 2010
    Awesome.

Oh wait, then that leads to another question. Can I make a tugboat? e.g. can I attach some sort of tractor beam thing to a ship with a billion engines and tow a starbase into a strategic position or into a blockade?

Or can I do something like in SEV where I can make construction ships that can build ships anywhere in space and I can use them to build a starbase wherever I want them if I have the time to do so?

I'm now just trying to think "If I could do anything I ever wanted. What would I do?"

Like, can I make a ship that I can make fly out front that consists of nothing but PD weapons to shoot down any missiles while having my main fleet just being massive guns?

Can I make repair and support ships? If there's an ammo mechanic, can i just make ammo mules?

Can I make carriers?

Can I make a ship like in Mass Effect, where the entire thing is just one giant gun?

Khavall on
  • Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh man....customizaaaaation splooooge!

Bahhh it's too bad I already have so many things on my radar at this point. I love me some space strategy.

Lionel-Richie on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This sounds great, and I'm very interested in it, but I'm curious about the interface. All the circles and triangles look distracting to me, even though I understand their function. Is there a way to hide or reduce them?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited August 2010
    Oh wait, then that leads to another question. Can I make a tugboat? e.g. can I attach some sort of tractor beam thing to a ship with a billion engines and tow a starbase into a strategic position or into a blockade?
    Tractor beams aren't in yet but that does seem plausible.
    can I do something like in SEV where I can make construction ships that can build ships anywhere in space and I can use them to build a starbase wherever I want them if I have the time to do so
    Yep, though there are some supply issues at the moment that prevent it from being anything more than an ad-hoc, one-use construction vehicle without supporting ships hauling materials to it.
    can I make a ship that I can make fly out front that consists of nothing but PD weapons to shoot down any missiles while having my main fleet just being massive guns?
    Unfortunately, the Flak Turret does not shoot down missiles. The missiles aren't fully simulated objects so it doesn't have anything to target, you see. Well, unless your opponent has made ships that are basically self-homing missiles. Then it works just fine.
    Can I make repair and support ships? If there's an ammo mechanic, can i just make ammo mules?
    Yep. Repair boats which have fast-firing Repair beams are valuable assets to have during large-scale battles. Fuel and Ammo mules: you can make them but ships don't currently understand that they have those resource to take from automatically. You'd have to manually 'tank them up' using the Transfer order after an engagement. Ships that are docked to other ships should also take from the other ship's Fuel and Ammo store when they undock either by release or shortly thereafter.
    Can I make carriers?
    Yep; though there isn't any advanced interface to only undock certain ships etc. at this time.
    Can I make a ship like in Mass Effect, where the entire thing is just one giant gun?
    Yep. My boss has employed that as a defense against my swarmfleets before. The gun does need some support systems and power to support those support systems but other than that, yes it can be essentially just a giant gun. I recommend adding a Rack Mount to it if that makes release.
    Oh man....customizaaaaation splooooge!

Bahhh it's too bad I already have so many things on my radar at this point. I love me some space strategy.
    Haha, no problem. It'll be there when you can get to it. (And will have even more features) :)
    Is there a way to hide or reduce them?
    You can change their size in config; there's nothing nice and easy just yet but that's a planned feature.

Firgof on
    edited August 2010
    Oh my god this game.

Can I preorder twice? I don't have enough money to do that, but I totally would if I could.

Khavall on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Firgof, will it be possible to create carriers with attached fighters and bombers? I have to ask since I love myself some pew-pew with legions of fightercrafts zipping around, wrecking some havoc.

Silpheed on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    Looks interesting but it's coming out right by Elemental and Civ V. Going to have to pick it up later.

I'm probably going to end up buying all of these at once. In addition, I've recently installed Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity, Galactic Civilizations 2 with all its expansion packs, Dawn of Discovery Gold, and Empire: Total War. I'm basically in 4X heaven. Or would that be hell? There are too many empires to build and civilizations to conquer!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited August 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Looks interesting but it's coming out right by Elemental and Civ V. Going to have to pick it up later.

I'm probably going to end up buying all of these at once. In addition, I've recently installed Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity, Galactic Civilizations 2 with all its expansion packs, Dawn of Discovery Gold, and Empire: Total War. I'm basically in 4X heaven. Or would that be hell? There are too many empires to build and civilizations to conquer!

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could have a strategy game like Civ where you develop your civilization to the space age, and then you can continue expanding into the stars as a 4x game? And maybe even start _earlier_ than the Civ part and maybe design the creatures that you use to buid your... er... wait.

Michael H on
  • Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could have a strategy game like Civ where you develop your civilization to the space age, and then you can continue expanding into the stars as a 4x game? And maybe even start _earlier_ than the Civ part and maybe design the creatures that you use to buid your... er... wait.

Oh man. Remember that time the whole world was disappointed a few years ago? :(

Lionel-Richie on
    edited August 2010

Oh man. Remember that time the whole world was disappointed a few years ago? :(

Yeah that ended up being one big sad trombone sound.. wah wah waaaahhh

Michael H on
    edited August 2010
    Can I preorder twice? I don't have enough money to do that, but I totally would if I could.
    Hahaha, I certainly won't stop you.
    Firgof, will it be possible to create carriers with attached fighters and bombers? I have to ask since I love myself some pew-pew with legions of fightercrafts zipping around, wrecking some havoc.
    It is certainly possible. In fact, since Ship Bays don't discriminate you can (or at least should) have huge carriers which carry smaller carriers which carry fighters; or alternatively huge carriers which carry weapons platforms and so forth.

Firgof on
    edited August 2010
    It is certainly possible. In fact, since Ship Bays don't discriminate you can (or at least should) have huge carriers which carry smaller carriers which carry fighters; or alternatively huge carriers which carry weapons platforms and so forth.

Bahaha really? How deep does the rabbit hole go? I have this dream now of bringing my giant russian-doll fleet of carriers-within-carriers, all housed in one gigantic, deceptively unprotected carrier that explodes into a swarm of laser spewing madness.

This needs to happen. Practicality be damned.

BloodySloth on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Bahaha really? How deep does the rabbit hole go? I have this dream now of bringing my giant russian-doll fleet of carriers-within-carriers, all housed in one gigantic, deceptively unprotected carrier that explodes into a swarm of laser spewing madness.

Like when a fat spider explodes into a horde of baby spiders. AHhhhhhh

captaink on
    edited August 2010

Hahahahaha. That'd be a sight to see in Multiplayer.

Firgof on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got a question. You mentioned that ships look like what they have equipped on them, but will there be different types of ships? I mean will they range in size from fighters to mid-weight to large capital ships?

And will every ship of the same size have the same base body or will there be different options?

Lastly, will there be a way to make custom ships in game or will we need to mod them in?

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just have to drop in here and say I'm hoping the best for your release, Firgof.

A couple guys who've been longtime forumers here have sold 20,000+ copies of their XBLA Indie RPG, Breath of Death VII, and I think I read in the Minecraft thread that the guy working on it has sold 50,000+ copies of that game (which is apparently way less finished than yours!). These are just a couple of isolated tales of rampant success, but I think it's safe to say you shouldn't be worried about at least selling a few thousand copies of your game.

which looks awesome, by the way. I don't even play 4X games and this might be the one that sucks me in.

But seriously, best of luck to you. :^:

Captain K on
    edited August 2010
    I got a question. You mentioned that ships look like what they have equipped on them, but will there be different types of ships? I mean will they range in size from fighters to mid-weight to large capital ships?
    Though there are different classes of ships which are determined based off the equipment you put on your ship, it won't be so detailed as such that if you put 5 engines on a 1 engine model that 5 engines will appear. But yes, they range in scale; we currently have 9 classes of scale and 4 classes of ship (Combat, Colonization, Hauling, and Stationary). Combat is currently the only of those classes that has a full range of scale; in other cases the model that we have just changes size based off the size of the ship/station you've created.

We have the capability to have much more diverse ship-sets; we just lack the funding and the models to do so at this time. We're making sure that the modding community will not suffer the same limitations we're (currently) bound to. :)

As for scale: It goes down to roughly 747 size to roughly the entire galaxy size. So, though we don't have a whole lot of models, we do have a whole lot of scale.
    And will every ship of the same size have the same base body or will there be different options?
    There aren't different skins or variants at this time. We'd have loved to have put them in but we've had a lot of issues with our modelers up to release. This will be one of the things that we'll be investing significant amounts of money into.
    Lastly, will there be a way to make custom ships in game or will we need to mod them in?
    Custom ships as in custom designs (Beam fighters, "Mines & Missiles", etc.) Yes. Ships that have different roles/subsystems/purposes et cetera are fully supported. Creating actual models for ships can't be accomplished in-game (excluding the Model Configurator dev-tool of course; but that's just a quick way to configure ship models to be put in the game).

Firgof on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It is certainly possible. In fact, since Ship Bays don't discriminate you can (or at least should) have huge carriers which carry smaller carriers which carry fighters
    Plans for the USS Matryoshka have entered development...

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You are telling me

That I could make a ship

the size of a GALAXY

and that INSIDE that ship

there are OTHER ships

who have OTHER ships INSIDE them

and all of those ships

are just one HUGE GUN

that fires SHIPS

that are actually MISSILES

is this what you are saying?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited August 2010

As for scale: It goes down to roughly 747 size to roughly the entire galaxy size. So, though we don't have a whole lot of models, we do have a whole lot of scale.

Wait... Am I understanding you correctly? Can you build something the size of an entire damn galaxy?

BloodySloth on
    edited August 2010
    You are telling me

That I could make a ship

the size of a GALAXY

there are OTHER ships

and all of those ships

are just one HUGE GUN

that fires SHIPS

Yes, that is what I am saying.
    Wait... Am I understanding you correctly? Can you build something the size of an entire damn galaxy?
    Yep. Takes a heck of a long while to do it but yes, it is possible.

Firgof on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    You are telling me

That I could make a ship

the size of a GALAXY

there are OTHER ships

and all of those ships

are just one HUGE GUN

that fires SHIPS

I am so glad I pre-ordered this. Holy shit, they had me at "huge space battles", but this... too much awesome. Hopefully we can play the shit out of this at PAX this year (at least in the BYOC area) and get some copies sold.

Yoshua on