As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RIP Ted Stevens - He's with the Tubes now.

GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Damn, that's horrible.

He survived a previous plane crash where his first wife died? Man.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    he may or may not be dead

either way, they'll play the tubular bells at his funeral

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't see a confirmation that he was among the dead.

Tomanta on
    edited August 2010
    You dudes ever seen Final Destination?

You don't get on the plane the second time around.

Malkor on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, there's one US official anonymously saying he's dead.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The four living are probably the four furthest back from the front. Does Ted Stevens like to ride in the back or front?

MKR on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    The four living are probably the four furthest back from the front. Does Ted Stevens like to ride in the back or front?

a wealthy politician, where do you think?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited August 2010

It's a small plane, so there's not really much difference between front and back comfort-wise.

edit: It looks like it was this kind of plane: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Canada_DHC-3_Otter

Which means you'd be more comfortable in the back since it's furthest from the engines.

MKR on
    edited August 2010

Like an elephant, wherever he wants to.

Also, CNN's headline is amusing. "Ted Stevens may have been on plane that crashed in Alaska".

Not even a "May have died on plane." They won't even confirm he was on the plane to begin with.

Tomanta on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ted Stevens was the one who liked the Incredible Hulk, right?

emnmnme on
    edited August 2010
    An NBC affiliate is saying he died, but their source is probably the former aide who said he died. And there's no telling who his or her source is.

So we come back to Twitter being really bad if you want to actually know what's going on. Too much noise.

MKR on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is the part where we wait a couple of hours for better news, I think.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    He is old so I think his chances of being among the dead are greater.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited August 2010
    It's interesting in an anthropological sense to see the progress from "so and so says" to "so and so says so and so says" back to several new "so and so"s being treated as an original source.

MKR on
    edited August 2010
    There's a name on the TV station report. Dave Dittman, Stevens aide and family friend.

enlightenedbum on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If he is dead, this has to be close to the record for shortest (non-zero) post-Congress career.

And yeah, poor guy, and with luck our information has been faulty. But either way people on that plane died.

Alaskan politicians need to stop being on planes so much. First Nick Begich (and Hale Boggs), now Stevens, possibly.

Captain Carrot on
    edited August 2010
    I'm sure plenty of Congress people have died less than 2 years after being kicked out. It just seems shorter than that.

enlightenedbum on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait, so he was on a plane which crashed there before but survived (while it killed his wife).

Now he's crashed there again, on the same make of plane and possibly died?

Sipex on
    edited August 2010
    I think if he was alive (unless perhaps in critical condition) they would announce that. If he is among the deceased they can't announce it until certain people (such as his family) have been notified.

So I'm not hopeful, but am going to wait for official word.

Tomanta on
    edited August 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Wait, so he was on a plane which crashed there before but survived (while it killed his wife).

Now he's crashed there again, on the same make of plane and possibly died?

Like I said. Final Destination.

Malkor on
    edited August 2010
    Dillimngham looks like an awful place to die at.

MKR on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It was not an identical plane and it was not in the same location.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_stevens#Marriage_and_family

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And to think, if only he were in jail like he should have been, he'd still be alive. Maybe there is justice in this world.

deadonthestreet on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Stevens now the second Alaskan member of Congress- out of a possible 11 all-time- to have a plane go down in the Alaskan wilderness (Nick Begich).

The moose are voting from the mountaintops.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited August 2010
    The frigid wilderness of Alaska is not kind to machinery, so it make sense that most of them would be from Alaska.

MKR on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fuck all of you for being insensitive pricks. You can disagree with policy, but I'd like to point out to you that there were people on that plane flying with their families. A father and son were on board as well.

Also, the person who gave the statement confirming Stevens dead to the media is now backing off his statement, but it's too late to stop everyone snowballing the story. He may or may not be among the dead, but it's unconfirmed who is and isn't.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The frigid wilderness of Alaska is not kind to machinery, so it make sense that most of them would be from Alaska.

It could also have to do with the fact that its hard to get around Alaska without a plane. Thus people fly more often in Alaska.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The other name that I've seen is an former NASA administrator.

But yeah, we're not going to know anything for certain until much later today.

But god, that's just...

That sucks for those that have been killed, it sucks for everybody else as well to be the survivors. Survivor guilt is a shitty thing.

MSNBC is confirming 4 survivors out of the 9, but cannot and will not confirm anything as to who is still alive or not.

lonelyahava on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    he's probably just dodging the estate tax

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited August 2010
    It's going to take a while because it's a remote wasteland within a remote wasteland. It's not the job of first responders to tell the press who died and who lived, and the press needs time to get people out there to ask around.

There doesn't even appear to be a road from it to Anchorage (from google):
    We could not calculate directions between dillingham alaska and anchorage.

The only other access is by water and plane, both of which are dangerous and take a while.

The weather's also rough there right now: http://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/Dillingham.html
    Now
    Showers and patchy fog continuing this morning. Low clouds from King Salmon west and north with areas of low visibility. South wind 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph along the western CAPES.
    rain
    Today
    Showers. Patchy fog. Highs in the lower to mid 50s. South wind 10 to 20 mph. Gusts to 30 mph along the western CAPES.
    » ZIP Code Detail
    nt_rain
    Tonight
    Showers. Patchy fog. Lows around 50. South wind 10 to 20 mph. Gusts to 30 mph along the western CAPES.

MKR on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Fuck all of you for being insensitive pricks.
    Good job not reading the thread. Only a couple of people have expressed pleasure at this news. But I guess actual thought is harder than flying off the handle.

Captain Carrot on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is D&D. If someone didn't fly off the handle in the first five pages we're doing it wrong.

Sipex on
    edited August 2010
    Here's the tracking and info page for the Dillingham airport for anyone who's interested: http://flightaware.com/live/airport/PADL

edit: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/10/alaska.plane.crash/index.html
    The NTSB said the plane crashed 10 miles northwest of Aleknagik about 8 p.m. Alaska Daylight Time. Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Paul Takemoto said that the plane was a DeHavilland DHC-3 Otter. He said its tail number was N455A and it was registered to GCI Communications Corp., based in Anchorage.

That's around here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=59.373091,-158.812695&spn=0.037692,0.154324&z=13

MKR on
    edited August 2010
    CNN now confirms Stevens died in the crash. Can't find any word about O'Keefe

Tomanta on
    edited August 2010
    So this source knows about Stevens but not O'Keefe? I'm going to be skeptical until this press conference happening in an hour or so.

MKR on
    edited August 2010
    Well, it's Stevens' Chief of Staff, speaking for his family. And is presumably not at liberty to discuss O'Keefe's status, as you really don't want to publicly confirm someone's death before the family is informed.

enlightenedbum on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I read O'Keefe and got all excited thinking it was James O'Keefe the ACORN hoaxster. The reality is a sad letdown.

Deebaser on
    edited August 2010
    Well, it's Stevens' Chief of Staff, speaking for his family. And is presumably not at liberty to discuss O'Keefe's status, as you really don't want to publicly confirm someone's death before the family is informed.

The CNN article I was looking at said "a source familiar with ongoing rescue efforts." D:

MKR on
  • Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Let the conspiracy theories begin.

Seriously though, looking at his wiki page it seems that he was one of the less crazy ones.

Saint Madness on
    edited August 2010

The CNN article I was looking at said "a source familiar with ongoing rescue efforts." D:

TPM is better than CNN.

enlightenedbum on