As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The NEW Cell Phone Thread

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mugsley wrote: »

All the way until October, long long wait. :!:

2.5 months is not a long time.

It is when you're currently using an HTC Touch Pro that occasionally feels like roasting your thigh. God I want this phone to DIAF.

Sounds to me like it's trying to accommodate you.

Tamin on
  • badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sounds like the Samsung Epic 4g might be coming to Sprint on August 20th. My 1 year upgrade is up on September 1. Looks like I'll be switching out my Palm Pre for an Android phone. It's too bad the hardware is so terrible with the Palm phone, because WebOS is the best OS I've used on a phone. Android and the Iphone OS are fairly close in second place though, so while I'll miss some WebOS features, it's time to move on.

badpoet on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    badpoet wrote: »
    Sounds like the Samsung Epic 4g might be coming to Sprint on August 20th. My 1 year upgrade is up on September 1. Looks like I'll be switching out my Palm Pre for an Android phone. It's too bad the hardware is so terrible with the Palm phone, because WebOS is the best OS I've used on a phone. Android and the Iphone OS are fairly close in second place though, so while I'll miss some WebOS features, it's time to move on.

Same position I'm in. Bought a Pre last year at release thinking it would be fantastic. The OS is fantastic. The hardware sucks, though. Bad, and Palm really sdropped the ball on following through. Development has stagnated since launch, the app store is garbage, and I swear the phone has gotten slower since release. Nevermind that the stupid thing feels like it's falling apart. I'm switching to an Android phone with my upgrade on August 1st.

I do wish we had a few more options on Sprint. The Hero's pretty overpriced in the face of the Evo, but the Evo's rather large. Other than that, what is there? That Samsung slider thing, I guess. Looks like it was designed by Plaskyool.

The Epic looks sweet, but I think I'm done with the hardware keyboard thing. Sliders never seem to hold up real well, and waiting for a month to get what looks to be the Evo's little brother with a keyboard tacked-on isn't too appealing.

Guess it'll be the Evo for me.

s3rial one on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the Pre became a victim of HP buying up Palm. I'm just hoping Palm will continue development on some level; however I wouldn't be surprised if all of their development work got rolled into a hard push into tablets by HP.

Mugsley on
    edited July 2010
    I think the Pre became a victim of HP buying up Palm. I'm just hoping Palm will continue development on some level; however I wouldn't be surprised if all of their development work got rolled into a hard push into tablets by HP.

Palm screwed up long before the HP buyout, though. The early Pres were well-known for having hardware problems (e.g. snap it shut and it turns itself off, the oreo effect, and GPS that is temperamental on the best days). Combine that with very slow updates and some really obnoxious issues (e.g. syncing with gmail resulting in your contacts list overflowing with contacts for every person you'd ever emailed once), subpar battery life, and an app store that took almost six months to get off the ground (and still sucks, unless you like paying $1.50 for public domain books, bible quotes, and overpriced games that require your hands to cover up half the screen to play).

It's not to say that Palm did any one thing wrong, but they moved so slowly that they'd have been hard pressed to provide less support without not supporting the device at all.

Plus, they were a victim of Android's success. The smartphone market likely doesn't have room for two Linux-derived, highly-hackable platforms, and for whatever reason - whether it was Google's backing or their licensing the OS out to other manufacturers - Android got the lion's share of adoption and support.

Hard for Palm to look like much more than the smartphone industry's doddering old man when, a year on, Android's on platforms like the Evo and the Incredible and the DroidX, and all Palm's managed to do is remove a button and add a bit more RAM to last year's model.

s3rial one on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    who wants a phone from HP or "Palm" when you could a google phone.. I think for the non savvy, the name is a huge selling point.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    s3rial one wrote: »

Same position I'm in. Bought a Pre last year at release thinking it would be fantastic. The OS is fantastic. The hardware sucks, though. Bad, and Palm really sdropped the ball on following through. Development has stagnated since launch, the app store is garbage, and I swear the phone has gotten slower since release. Nevermind that the stupid thing feels like it's falling apart. I'm switching to an Android phone with my upgrade on August 1st.

Well, I bought the Sprint case for my Pre (which makes the case the slider, when you see it, that'll make sense) so mine has always felt "solid." It's just too slow. And I don't want to overclock the thing to make it faster because then the battery life goes from "nearly intolerable" to "fuck this shit."

badpoet on
    edited August 2010
    So does anyone have a recommendation for a decent bluetooth headset?

I've had a few Motorola sets in the past, and every single one of them has been too quiet for use in a car, even with the volume turned all the way up.

I'm also looking for one with a smaller ear piece; the Motorola H680's in-ear piece is too large for my fiancee. Something that can use custom ear buds (like any decent set of earbud headphones) would be ideal.

s3rial one on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been using a Blueant Z9i for the past year when driving and haven't had any issues.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm glad I bought this HD2, you guys, because Android and Ubuntu are now totally usable on it as well as Winmo. Well, they're not 100%, but the only things they're missing support for now are HID bluetooth (which I don't use) and the backlight for the physical buttons, so it's all good, brah. So now I'm tri-booting, but mostly using Android at the moment, and I'll probably throw Win95 on there to play some Starcraft.

4868631646_92dd8eb0f0_m.jpg4867458497_4eccb0661b_m.jpg4868072396_12697c5d20_m.jpg
    Thing does everything.

LaCabra on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, my boss has a Blackberry Storm that got wet, and the screen has stopped responding. Is it worth trying the rice trick (given that it happened sometime over the weekend), or is it pretty much just fucked, and it's time to get a new phone?

Presume for the moment that there is nothing on God's green earth I hate more than having to set up a new Blackberry Storm.

Thanatos on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    how wet we talking? my wife dropped her phone in the toilet and I got it working again using rice

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    mts wrote: »
    how wet we talking? my wife dropped her phone in the toilet and I got it working again using rice
    This has had the battery in all weekend, is my concern.

Maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanatos on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    if effort to put in rice > effort to resetup new phone

than its probably not worth it

however it seems like rice<new phone setup

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Considering "rice effort" = 1.) get a ziploc bag; 2.) insert rice; 3.) insert phone I think it's worth at least trying.

Mugsley on
  • KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love how verizon said they'd bump up peoples' upgrades early if they'd get a droid x and then excluded anyone who isn't the primary line on a family plan.

clearly they don't want to encourage people to give them even more money every month for a data plan

Kriz on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kriz wrote: »
    I love how verizon said they'd bump up peoples' upgrades early if they'd get a droid x and then excluded anyone who isn't the primary line on a family plan.

clearly they don't want to encourage people to give them even more money every month for a data plan

That is odd, not like extra lines pay less per data plan than the primary..

I'm seriously wanting a smartphone right now, but I keep hearing rumors and confirmations that LTE is coming by the time my current contract is up, so I keep telling myself to wait, but I gotta stop reading the Android thread and looking at the Droid X 'cause it's just so awesome.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bell is offering me upgrades on my phones. What they're offering is a Palm Pre or a Samsung Omnia 2. Should I fight them for better phones or are either of these two worth getting?

DekuStick on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DekuStick wrote: »
    Bell is offering me upgrades on my phones. What they're offering is a Palm Pre or a Samsung Omnia 2. Should I fight them for better phones or are either of these two worth getting?

Doesn't look like they have the Pre Plus, I wouldn't extend a contract for the regular Pre. The Omnia 2 is even worse unless you have a thing for Windows Mobile 6.5.

Fats on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fought them for Bold 9700's. I think it's goosey they'll upgrade you to a phone they give for free to anyone off the street. Been paying for two phones from bell for a good 6+ years.

DekuStick on
    edited August 2010
    Should have gone for the Samsung Vibrants. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    DekuStick wrote: »

the palm pre was a pretty neat little phone a year and a half ago. these days it's underpowered, has both build and battery issues, and pretty bad app support. worse, HP bought palm and has basically gotten rid of much of the senior technical staff who developed the pre, so i wouldn't count on too much long-term support.

i wouldn't get a pre these days.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited August 2010
    Just got my email. i4's are in-store! Can anyone recommend any cases? There's too much noise out there if I do a Google/Bing/Amazon search.

Mugsley on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't speak to their iPhone 4 cases, but you can't possibly go wrong at the $1-$3 price point:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10831

I've used two of their iPhone 3GS cases and liked them both. The hard acrylic one that snapped together obviously added a touch of bulk but slipped in and out of jean pockets with ease. The silicon case was slightly less bulky, seemed like it would grant better protection in a fall, but was harder to pull out of a pair of jeans. In dress pants it was fine. They were both well worth what I paid.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Windows Phone 7: shit just got real.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    chasm wrote: »
    Windows Phone 7: shit just got real.

Man, you ain't lying. The Xbox integration looks sweet, no multiplayer yet, but it's in the pipes, and some of the games they've got planned are nergasmic. A Tower defense game that will use Bing Maps, and the enemies know to walk on the roads? Earthworm Jim? Castle-fuckin-Vainia?! Yes PLEASE!

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there some new WP7 news or somethin'?

LaCabra on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They announced a bunch of games which will be "out this year"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=260132

Also, this game for WinMo7 just won the Dare to be digital award.
    http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-7-game-wins-award-nominated-for-bafta/

LewieP on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That looks kinda vaguely like rolando. Or loco roco, I guess.

Anyone have any idea how the 1 Ghz Snapdragon, or whatever it was that most of the first gen winphone 7 phones have, stacks up to the iphone's processor?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Anyone have any idea how the 1 Ghz Snapdragon, or whatever it was that most of the first gen winphone 7 phones have, stacks up to the iphone's processor?

Hard to really say, since they're two different types of chips. It's basically running off similar hardware as the newer Android phones though, so should be plenty fast enough. And given that MS is dictating minimum specs for the phones and a bunch of other things to ensure that it will run WP7 well, I'm hoping that we'll get a solid experience on all the different models coming out.

Now I just need some leaks on the Verizon models.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I joined the world of Android a little over a month ago, and I've yet to post about it. I bought a Samsung Captivate (AT&T's Galaxy S Phone), and I love it. I would argue that it has the best looking screen of any phone at the moment, and its battery life is disgustingly good. I wish Touchwiz 3.0 allowed more customization of the base buttons, but I like it a lot. Going from an original Pre to this has been easier than I expected thanks to Swype for texting. It's light weight and a good size. 16 Gigs of internal memory + expansion via MicroSD is excellent, though I've had a LOT of trouble syncing it with Window's 7 Pro 64 bit. The phone's lack of camera flash is silly, but on the whole, I'm very happy with my purchase. I give it 4.5/5 rating and I'd say it's the best device on AT&T if you're not a mac user.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
    edited August 2010
    Keep an eye on Blind Type coming out soon for mobile OSes.

Mugsley on
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

The iPhone 4 uses Apple's A4. It's an ARM A8 core SoC, and has a maximum clock rate of 1GHz, the same as Qualcomm's Snapdragon. However, it's more likely that the iPhone 4 runs at about 700-800MHz in order to preserve battery life.

Pirusu on
  • bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been thinking about getting the Samsung Captivate, how does this stack up next to other AT&T smart phones? (I don't want an iPhone)

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HamareHamare Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Considering "rice effort" = 1.) get a ziploc bag; 2.) insert rice; 3.) insert phone I think it's worth at least trying.

I tried this, got hungry and ate the rice, and put my lake-watered-nokia in a ziploc bag of oatmeal. I can get it to show me the intro handshake thing but nothing else :(

Hamare on
    edited August 2010
    Hamare wrote: »

I tried this, got hungry and ate the rice, and put my lake-watered-nokia in a ziploc bag of oatmeal. I can get it to show me the intro handshake thing but nothing else :(

Don't cook the oatmeal first. Or add brown sugar.

>.>

<.<

Mugsley on
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been thinking about getting the Samsung Captivate, how does this stack up next to other AT&T smart phones? (I don't want an iPhone)

The Captivate is AT&T's best Android phone, period (Though this isn't saying much, since it brings the grand total to 3, not counting the Dell Streak). It's the same as the T-Mobile Vibrant, and is basically the AT&T branded Galaxy S. Spec-wise, it's probably one of their best phones. Fast processor, Samsung's Super AMOLED screen. The only thing it lacks in comparison to other Android phones is the lack of side-loading applications, but this is a problem with all AT&T Android phones.

Pirusu on
  • bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pirusu wrote: »

The Captivate is AT&T's best Android phone, period (Though this isn't saying much, since it brings the grand total to 3, not counting the Dell Streak). It's the same as the T-Mobile Vibrant, and is basically the AT&T branded Galaxy S. Spec-wise, it's probably one of their best phones. Fast processor, Samsung's Super AMOLED screen. The only thing it lacks in comparison to other Android phones is the lack of side-loading applications, but this is a problem with all AT&T Android phones.

I've seen a couple reviews and you pretty much summed up what they have said. I have an older BB curve and wanted to venture into the world of touchscreen goodness. I'm guessing the captivate would be a good choice for someone transitioning into this realm of handsets.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    i guess i have a hard time wrapping my head around going with AT&T and not getting an iPhone.

i mean more power to you i guess

i just spent years tethered to Sprint and wishing i had an iPhone instead

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • HamareHamare Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hamare wrote: »

Don't cook the oatmeal first. Or add brown sugar.

>.>

<.<

raw oatmeal... it was the closest thing to rice I could think of. I might as well eat the phone cuz it's not much use for anything else!

Hamare on