As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Borderlands: OLD thread is OLD

1565758596062»

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Knoxx requires strategy? With Lilith, it was basically just shoot him in the head with an SMG and this:
    217534009_hZ5oD-L-2.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Lilith is Lilith, though

but that is basically the strategy for everyone, yes

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My Hunter Strategy with Knoxx is usually headshot with a good Pestilent Defiler while dancing around the pillars. I also try to time a headshot for when he's going to fire so his arms jerk up and the shots fire wildly. Use the medics and random devastators for all the kill = (+health, +fire rate, +damage, +reload) bonuses and it's only a matter of time.

EDIT: Yeah, I think we all got the strategy...

DogEight on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Masher>>>PD on Knoxx. He doesn't have much armor, but he has a ton of health. So you don't really lose much of your /hit damage from the masher like you would expect to. A PD will do the job, but unless it's really high damage you'll be there for a while.

I like getting it done before the second set of spawns.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I found Mordecai's bird admirable all the way through playthrough 2 until Knoxx when he seemed to hit the wall (literally, at times). I ended up switching to a gunslinger/sniper with just enough points in Rogue to get the daze effect. Daze and corrosive dosing were about as much as he was ever doing for me.

It was awful to see happen because I don't play Mordecai at range. I don't play anyone at range. The drop in Bloodwing's effectiveness was like losing a limb.

Elendil on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm totally playing this game on PC, non-Steam if anybody wants to play with me

Gamespy ID is joshofalltrades31

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I finally managed to beat Craw at the weekend, which was very satisfying. However the loot that dropped was--less satisfying to be honest.
    I also think it might've been a fluke since each subsequent attempt has resulted in my horrific demise. Poor Roland, he didn't sign up for this.
    Also I would very much like to play this with fellow PA folk, so if anybody wants a slightly battered Roland on a run through then my 360 tag is Wraith134. I'm always down for a little Borderlanding unless I'm knee-deep in hot robot death with Transformers.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    I finally managed to beat Craw at the weekend, which was very satisfying. However the loot that dropped was--less satisfying to be honest.
    I also think it might've been a fluke since each subsequent attempt has resulted in my horrific demise. Poor Roland, he didn't sign up for this.
    Also I would very much like to play this with fellow PA folk, so if anybody wants a slightly battered Roland on a run through then my 360 tag is Wraith134. I'm always down for a little Borderlanding unless I'm knee-deep in hot robot death with Transformers.

Just like with anything else in Borderlands, it's all up to the RNG gods to give you the good stuff.

Craw has dropped 333x7 revolvers for me, 330 damage 10.2 fire rate massive magazine machineguns with scopes, and a 2000 capacity shield with 60% health on it, and none of those are even pearlescents.

You just have to do it over and over again. Unfortunately for anyone who isn't a Siren, you need a group for Craw. However, the Armory can give a lot of nice stuff, too!

Just got done playing with my brother, Berserker and Heavy Gunner. My god, 5/5 Short Fuse and Liquidate is hilarious... albeit also kind of dangerous.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of armory stuff...

Got my first Pearlescent, unfortunately it was a shield with 1400 capacity. :/

However, the rest of the run was awesome, including a 600 Defiler, a 600 Savage Chimera which while fun is less than useful, and this:

Fearsome Skullsmasher 390x6 sniper rifle. It basically fires like a shotgun. Yeah, about as effective as it sounds.

However, the crown of the night was the anarchy I found.

184x4, 13.8 fire rate, 82 round clip, 2.9x zoom.

Ender on
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, I'm not really high enough level to do much to Craw, but I do have a Mord with a +3 scavenge and +2 rarity Scavenger mod. It's like a manual teaching how to charm the RNG gods using huge puppy dog eyes.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, according to some tests, +X find rare items doesn't work, and according to others it does, so YMMV.

Extra items just sounds fun, though. I'm tempted to have my sniper Mordecai go that way, just to keep up with my endless hunger for ammo.

Kainy on
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    From what I've heard, it doesn't work on chests but it does on everything else.

From my own experience, most of my characters' orange weapons come courtesy of Mordecai.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    All I know is that Knoxx runs before the +3 item scavenge, +2 item find, 8/5 Ransack Mordecai were bringing back 7-9 orange guns and now I'm bringing back 14-17 orange guns.

I've actually gotten to the point where I will leave oranges behind due to inventory concerns. That never happened before.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Guys, I know this isn't the right thread to post this in, but if the rumors going around are true, it looks like Gearbox is indeed trying to finish Duke Nukem Forever. From the footage I saw a few months back it looked like the game was coming along just fine, but with Gearbox putting on the finishing touches after what they've done with Borderlands? I'd love for that to happen.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Guys, I know this isn't the right thread to post this in, but if the rumors going around are true, it looks like Gearbox is indeed trying to finish Duke Nukem Forever. From the footage I saw a few months back it looked like the game was coming along just fine, but with Gearbox putting on the finishing touches after what they've done with Borderlands? I'd love for that to happen.

There is a DNF thread.

Gearbox has certainly earned my devotion with Borderlands. They have also earned my (presumably temporary) ire with their ridiculous months long silence on the scaling issue. And the whole, "Boo we released your DLC yesterday" shenanigans is frustrating as someone who needs advance notice to block out time around kids and work and wifely birthdays for gaming events. Having more DLC is great, especially the caliber of Knoxx. But having them pop out of the woodwork is a pain.

EDIT: The one morning I don't check Kotaku before tucking into work is the morning there's a 7am update about the new DLC. Well played, Gearbox. Well played. (Now tell us you'll fix scaling.)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just made the switch from bandits to Crimson Lance and....I like these guys. Their horrific deaths make me happy inside.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds a lot like Knoxx. Me like.

Peewi on
  • Options
    cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Damn, I forgot how much fun this game is... I downloaded all the DLC on xbox360 when it was half price. I've ripped through Dr Zed's zombie stuff, but I haven't had much joy in the Underdome and I haven't really gone into Knoxx. I went and had a bit of an explore at level 49, and got dinged by a 61 maniac...

Anyways, my hunter main is level 52 and I'm just coming towards the end of my second playthrough game. What's a good time to go and try Knoxx?

Anyone who wants to do some Borderlands xbox live stuff (without modded/hacked weapons pls!!!) feel free to add my gamertag and send me a message (Damoven)

cmsamo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    10 more skill points.

Goodness, whatever shall I do with them?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    the soldier will be able to pick up everything good with 10 more points, unless they add new skills

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hope they add more skills, some people (I'm looking at you, Roland) have a ton of useful skills to use extra skill points on. Others, not as much.

Not to say that they don't have something, but it feels like all of Roland's skills are good, whereas some of Mordecai's skills are kinda crap, especially if you're a Gunslinger like me, and don't use snipers.

Ender on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    While I'm sad there is still no shared stash in the new DLC, it still looks really good.

I'm curious if the 5 skill points will be 5 in each playthrough or 10 once and not again.

Also I'm curious to see if they're adding any new type of modifiers to weapons or if we'll just have more things to kill for the same loot. At the very least they need to expand the pearl arsenal.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I’m late to the party but I finally picked this game up. I tried a few levels of the four characters and I finally choose Lilith. I’m still in the first area but I’m having a blast.

One question should I wait until I’m higher level to buy the DLC?

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lilith is a beast. Have fun.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darn. There is no increase in the level cap.

Couscous on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is Moxxi ever playable solo when you're at the level cap? I would always die on round 2 or something ridiculous because the odds are stacked way against a solo player.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Fine by me. The increase in level cap in Knoxx just made some scaling issues more apparent, such as grenades being adorable jokes now, and vehicle weapons, despite massive upgrades, still being adorable compared to real guns, while your vehicles are basically boxes of nitroglycerin with wheels.

Though it would be nice to be able to get guns with even higher budgets for stats.
    I’m late to the party but I finally picked this game up. I tried a few levels of the four characters and I finally choose Lilith. I’m still in the first area but I’m having a blast.

One question should I wait until I’m higher level to buy the DLC?

All the DLC so far has a Playthrough 1 and Playthrough 2 version, and the Playthrough 1 version is doable right when you finish Playthrough 1. I'd say get what you want to get then, and do it. You'll be super overleveled for playthrough 2, but that will just let you scream through the story missions and ignore sidequests for as long as you feel like, which I think makes Playthrough 2 a little less boring.
    Is Moxxi ever playable solo when you're at the level cap? I would always die on round 2 or something ridiculous because the odds are stacked way against a solo player.

Doesn't seem that hard to me, but I main a Siren, which is tantamount to hacking.

For Moxxi you need a very different build than you need for the main game. You need a lot of survivability, the ability to get your health back on your own, the ability to disengage easily, and the safest, most effective damage dealing you can manage. Some classes have issues with this, but I think any can put a workable build together.

Oh you also need pretty good gear.

Kainy on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know if I am "doing it right," but I am playing through the game without DLC first.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I played the Core up to Moxxi on the 360. Im waiting for the collectors edition before I do it again on the PSN.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    From the article:
    Exciting! Or is it? I’m not sure. I lost interest in Borderlands after the first six hours or so.

Why do news sites do this? Why even have someone write the news for a game if they're not interested in it? I can understand wanting differing opinions on movie/game reviews when they're already out. But for just news about an extremely popular and now established franchise, why not have the guy who's psyched to hear about it write the article?

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't know if I am "doing it right," but I am playing through the game without DLC first.

If you're enjoying it, you're doing it right.

That's about it.

Kainy on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just started Borderlands over too. Siren, because Roland still feels stale after being my main character last, and I couldn't get in to Mordecai or Brick. Going Spark->Quicksilver->Intuition->Phoenix to begin with; found some nice Maliwan SMGs right off the bat, and hoping to get a Firefly mod in the second zone. :^:

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    I just started Borderlands over too. Siren, because Roland still feels stale after being my main character last, and I couldn't get in to Mordecai or Brick. Going Spark->Quicksilver->Intuition->Phoenix to begin with; found some nice Maliwan SMGs right off the bat, and hoping to get a Firefly mod in the second zone. :^:

Honestly I'd suggest Catalyst over Firefly, but that's just me. Phasewalking constantly is so goddamn fun, and super-high levels of both Intuition and Phoenix are both endless sources of amusement, especially in Zombie Island.

Plus, Firefly boosts damage and, honestly, if you want damage, and you're a Siren, it's Mercenary o'clock all day erryday.

Though, again, playing games is about fun, so doing what's fun for you is the most important thing.

Kainy on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Wait, what? How would that work? If the enemies level up and you don't, they'll facerape you. If the enemies don't level up and you get 10 more kill points....you'll doubleplus facerape them. I don't see how that could work from a balance perspective. I assumed 10 skill pts = 10 levels.

And that's putting aside the fact that with 10 more points there's practically no more 'character builds', there's just 'have you levelled up enough to get everything good enough to matter".

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And on that note,

NEW THREAD!

Go there.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    With no level increase with the new DLC would solve some of the scaling issues. at the very least it lets you farm knoxx and the new areas in the robolution. I think adding 10 more skill points is a nice middle ground to still have your character progress outside of phat loots. As far as balance goes, if they don't add new skills to the trees, some classes are definitely going to benefit much more than others. Then again borderlands wasn't about balance it was about face-raping everything with a Masher/Pestilent defiler/double anarachy etc etc.

breton-brawler on