As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Metroid] Thread: Other M is out! Mind your spoiler tags!

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
samusthumbsdown.jpg
I guess I had to make the next thread. Samus doesn't approve.

Metroid is one of Nintendo's longest running series, and has dotted the lifespan of video games to even this day. Standout heroine and video game icon Samus Aran (badass bounty-hunter extraordinaire) has made an appearance on damn near every one of Nintendo's consoles, missing out only on the N64 and Virtual Boy (not that anyone gives a damn about that one) (and I guess the Gameboy Color if you want to split hairs). She's fast, agile, and able to kick Solid Snake's ass (MAY NOT BE CANON). The general theme of each game is sci-fi mystery, exploring the depths of some planet or space station or what have you. In each game Samus has to make her way through a complex maze structure, earning powerups that grant her new abilities to explore previously unreachable areas. What began as a strong 2D platformer has evolved into a robust 3D first-person game embracing the same formula, and now back to a 2D platformer with featured first-person moments in the newest upcoming title for the Wii, Metroid: Other M.

From my own personal experience, I've been a Metroid fan since the first game. The original game had many dead ends and redundant paths, as it was meant to be bigger than it shipped out as. The sequel went to the Gameboy, which I have yet to beat as I'm easily lost with the tiny resolution and not quite unique looking areas. But then Super Metroid hit. And I found video game bliss. Super Metroid was "flawed" (in my view, perfected) by not having a strictly linear path if one understood the game's advanced controls, 'physics,' and special abilities. All manner of tricks have been done to change the route of the game, breaking it at many points, and making it beatable in far less than an hour of playtime.

Samus is a compelling character (threatened possibly by Other M, for some) in that she's maintained a strong, independent personality. Altruism has yet to be a part of her character design, as she has been known to end planets. Literally. She's also quite eager to battle the Space Pirates, making her agenda a personal one. The closest love interest to happen is the character 'Adam' introduced from Fusion, but this could easily be a matter of respected peers.
Metroid_Other_M_Cover.jpg
Other M
Launch Dates:
North America: August 31st
Japan and Australia: September 2nd
Europe: September 3rd

Other M: is going to be more story-driven than previous titles. Samus receives a distress beacon coded as "Baby's Cry," and at the location of the signal (a derelict ship) she comes across a detachment of Galactic Federation military personnel lead by Adam Malkovich (no relation to John) (this is the guy from Fusion). He has a very tough attitude toward Samus, and is very strict with regard to his unit about not giving out any details of their mission to the bounty hunter. That changes, naturally, when Samus bails them out of trouble. From here, Samus is briefed on the GF mission at hand and aids them in exploring the ship.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50237.html
Original Trailer above

What We Know:
  • 2D styled gameplay with optional camera change for full exploration.
  • The game will be set in the immediate aftermath of Super Metroid, prior to Metroid Fusion.
  • Team Ninja is co-developing with Nintendo.
  • Samus' heart has grown three sizes.
    • No wait, I'm sorry, that would be her bra.
  • Game will feature voice acting - yes, even Samus.
toxk_02 wrote: »

What this thread is for:

Metroid. Old, new, it doesn't matter. Threads can kind of derail over to a series in general and that's no problem here. Let's just try to not talk about Samus' breasts as much this time.

Henroid on

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really want to like this game, but I'm having a hard time imaging what it's hybrid playstyle feels like without getting my hands on it.

I think this is going to be the first Metroid game that I'll actually be waiting on other people's impressions. Prime was an odd concept, but it sold me on its atmosphere early on and I picked it up on day one. This? I dunno. My pessimism centers are tingling.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My pessimism on the game is focused on the whole idea of upgrading the suit and such. Is any of that in this game? Because I haven't seen any indication of it.

Edit - I've been unable to watch any media for the last... 2010. So I'm behind on the little details.

Henroid on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thems graphixs look good.

earthwormadam on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The reasons for skepticism:

1) The dumbest reason for her not having abilities ever.
    2) I like *my* interpretation of Samus' character; I don't trust game designers with story generally, and female characters in particular. Especially when the people in question made an entire series out of jiggle innovation.
    3) Boo sitting around doing nothing to regenerate health/ammo. Remember Echoes?
    4) The graphics to me look so very bland.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thankfully graphics aren't the only thing that make a game. :wink:

Henroid on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know, and I'm normally the one making that argument! I guess it's more I think the art direction sucks. Which is actually important.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited August 2010
    Okay if we're talking about art direction I'm on board to have some issues here and there. I haven't seen the game itself in motion very much though, and depending on how that works out I can excuse whatever problems I see.

Henroid on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will buy this blindly.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think it looks like a good game. It's just that it also looks like a good game I don't want to play.

Oh well, maybe there will be a Shadow Complex 2 announced soon to scratch my Metroid itch.

-SPI- on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Metroid being one of my three favorite franchises: Mario, Metroid, Ratchet & Clank in the order of favorite franchises, I'm quite looking forward to this game.

I'm a bit worried about the controls if anything, but most hands on previews has made me feel much better about it.

And yes, compared to the art direction Retro gave us, the art style of this game is very bland. But we've only seen a fraction of what is actually in the game...so that can get better.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • DversedDversed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think it looks fun.
    I felt that the gamecube and wii versions were a little slow for my taste.
    I think the 2d metroids are more fun. Team Ninja making a 2.5D action metroid sounds like alot of fun.

its like the gamecube and Wii versions are like the first Alien and Other M looks like AlienS. Different and still awesome.

And I'm going to throw this out there...I wouldnt mind playing as samus in the zero suit after a 1st playthrough.

Dversed on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I think it looks like a good game. It's just that it also looks like a good game I don't want to play.

Oh well, maybe there will be a Shadow Complex 2 announced soon to scratch my Metroid itch.

As long as they don't make me shoot into the background, then they really don't have to change much for a Shadow Complex sequel.

Shady3011 on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Definitely getting this, but I'll hold off until my birthday; need more time to get Corruption and Fusion off my backlog first.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just hope I can avoid map rooms.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Will get day one.

I wish they would but Gameboy games on VC, I would like to play Fusion before I dig into this.

brokecracker on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

If you stood under a light beacon to regenerate all of your health then you were playing it wrong, there were plenty of health pickups to survive in that game.

And this sounds nothing like Echoes or "sitting around." It's a quick energy recharge, you're not going to be doing it for even two minutes. You might as well complain about how long it takes to charge your beam.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really looking forward to this one, but even so, it's funny how it seems to cast aside the ideals held by Miyamoto where Mario and Link are concerned, and people seem to echo that sentiment here.
    In some fairness, she was not only female, but young and surprisingly short.

Wait did they shrink Samus? Isn't she normally like 6'1"?

Well, again, she is a bit younger than the Samus of "now," so take that as you will.

But, thinking about it, I think at least one guy, Anthony ("Remember me?") might have been taller, at least in the cut scene where they meet up in their armor. But then, I think the GF guys were of varied height, if memory serves.
    I may hate it, but yeah, I think devs have been taking her in the direction of "generic female archetype" for a while now. Writing a generic strong female character is a helluva lot easier than having to keep track of (or make up) the personal history of a tough, independent character who just happens to be a woman. Why would the Samus most of us remember care about what a drill sergeant says when she's already done some Pirate/monster killing of her own? More importantly, why is she even in boot camp when she could do more than anyone there already?
    She was in the Galactic Federation before striking out on her own and killing those pirates/monsters. As for why she cares what the drill sergeant says? Well, he's more a commanding officer, and a little more than that to her.
    So she wants to get an official bounty hunter's license to support herself through better channels, but it requires 4 years in the military academy. She gives Adam the thumbs down because she feels like she could handle much tougher missions than he dishes out, but at the same time she's meant to be a low recruit like anyone else. Is this not plausible?

The thumbs-down is... something else.
    Everyone else gives a thumbs-up after receiving their orders; she tends to be a bit more defiant, particularly when Adam asks "any objections, Lady?"
    Actually, I'd be most annoyed if they made her altruistic. I like thinking of her as not quite an anti-hero, but essentially in it for money/revenge.

Sort of a hybrid with the Captain N version, then? Amazing how startlingly accurate they seemed to get her story, to a degree, all those years ago.

It's also the version of the character my wife really digs.

Regarding the topic of her speed in the last thread, thinking back, her speed felt about average, as I recall... maybe as fast as Mario or Link in their 3D games, at least while running. But that part's a little fuzzy to me; she didn't seem sluggish to me, that much I can say.

If you stood under a light beacon to regenerate all of your health then you were playing it wrong, there were plenty of health pickups to survive in that game.

And this sounds nothing like Echoes or "sitting around." It's a quick energy recharge, you're not going to be doing it for even two minutes. You might as well complain about how long it takes to charge your beam.

It's a rather minor desperation move. In normal circumstances, it refills your missiles. But you'll only refill life when you're really low, for one tank's worth, I believe.

Since enemies don't drop life or missiles, it's mainly just to help you get from station to station, I believe.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited August 2010
    Any objections, Lady?

Japan still hasn't figured out Lady is a dog's name, and not something you should call an actual lady?

Killer - Lady! That's what I'll call you!
    Dante - Whatever, Lady!
    Mary - Mary died a long time ago! My new name is Lady!
    Samus - He called me Lady, like some title, out of respect.

Cantido on
    edited August 2010
    Are you kidding? It's in the medieval sense, lords and ladies, like the knights who get down on one knee and hold up a flower and say "my lady."

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, in Devil May Cry she did outright say to Dante that she didn't care what he called her.

What's that first line from? I don't know it.

Peewi on
  • TechRatTechRat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think the graphics look bland, exactly, but the environments feel a bit generic. You have your space station area, snow area, lava area, swamp area, etc. I haven't seen anything in the demos up to this point that has made me say "Wow...that's different and interesting". I'm hoping that it's just because we haven't seen much yet. I also think I've been spoiled by the Prime series with it's creative area design.

My biggest concern, however? Auto-targeting.

Wow, does this ever bug me. I want the satisfaction of knowing I cleared out a room of enemies using nothing but my own skill. I don't want to simply face in the general direction of a pack of aliens and mash the fire button while the game handles all of that "tricky aiming stuff" for me. I'm hoping that this does not turn out to be a big deal overall, but it's causing me to - for the first time ever - be skeptical of a traditional Metroid game.

TechRat on
    edited August 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Well, in Devil May Cry she did outright say to Dante that she didn't care what he called her.

What's that first line from? I don't know it.

Shadow Hearts 3. A serial killer (named Killer) meets an emotionless Cute Mute who kills a bunch of cops and heals his wounds with a kiss (of EVIL.) He names her Lady on the fly.

Cantido on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For me, when we first met Samus, the only reference point for "Bounty Hunter" was Star Wars, where they were all tough and mean and in it for the cash. That's how I thought of Samus when I first learned of her profession. Tough, on her own, and in it for the cash.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    Any objections, Lady?

Japan still hasn't figured out Lady is a dog's name, and not something you should call an actual lady?

Killer - Lady! That's what I'll call you!
    Dante - Whatever, Lady!
    Mary - Mary died a long time ago! My new name is Lady!
    Samus - He called me Lady, like some title, out of respect.

"Lady Bird" aside, WTF are you talking about?

It fits with the tone of voice they've established for Adam.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I always figured the bounty hunting job was simply to fund her revenge mission, not for selfish personal gain. Her parents weren't rich like Thomas and Martha Wayne so the wonderful toy money had to come from somewhere, right? Before that she probably figured the GF military could pay her way and help her get her degree.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    edited August 2010
    I agree with RidleySaria (that's a weird combo for a name, by the way). The bounty hunting I'm assuming is Samus' way of funding her personal war against the pirates, while at least accomplishing a varying amount of good.

Also, the nickname "Lady" she's given I actually kinda like.

Henroid on
    edited August 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I agree with RidleySaria (that's a weird combo for a name, by the way).

They tend to be the names I use for male and female characters respectively. The combination came around because Ridley is the name I normally use but is already taken in every forum known to man.

The biggest thrill for me when they revealed Other M at E3 was when Adam asked "Any Objections, Lady?" At that moment I knew it was a Metroid game.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I agree with RidleySaria (that's a weird combo for a name, by the way). The bounty hunting I'm assuming is Samus' way of funding her personal war against the pirates, while at least accomplishing a varying amount of good.

The lady is a [strike]tramp[/strike] tank.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh damn! It's the 10th already? I didn't realize this release was so close.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have to admit, I had my misgivings when I first heard the guys behind Ninja Gaiden and boob-jiggle-fest DOA Volleyball were making this. I had visions of Samus with heaving bosoms while still in her suit, and the game being ball-bustingly difficult. But the closer I get, the less I think about it, and the more I'm just looking forward to another game in the series. I was one of the few who really liked the world of Metroid being more fleshed out in Prime 3, so I'll probably not mind, if not like, the story of Other M.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, I have serious concerns about their ability to portray Samus. Like others, I always thought of Samus as this bad-ass Bounty Hunter in it for the money. A no nonsense, tough as nails veteran that speaks through action, not words. The fact that she's a woman was incidental. But now... she's like... becoming generic. Like really generic. It breaks down the mythos our space pirate killin' silent siren has built up, in my opinion. It's costing her mystique, and when it's done she'll be just another video game girl. The more they reveal about Samus, the more boring she becomes.

Gigazombie Cybermage on
    edited August 2010
    Not sure how a silent protagonist who doesn't really react to anything that happens is somehow less generic than someone with a voice and a back story.

UncleSporky on
    edited August 2010
    You see, because you fill in the void with your IMAGINATION.

I have a poor imagination sadly so I welcome this change.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Because she has her mythos and the imagination of the players as a silent protagonist. It's like if Link in the Legend of Zelda games started acting like his Super Mario Bros. Super Show version. He's far more effective as a silent protagonist. His determination in saving Zelda and his heroism say all he needs to say.

Gigazombie Cybermage on
    edited August 2010
    Not sure how a silent protagonist who doesn't really react to anything that happens is somehow less generic than someone with a voice and a back story.

Although I think people are being stupid about this, there's a certain sense to it. Alien and Jaws were always at their scariest when you could barely see the monster. In an unknown situation people will always envision the ideal. Characters like Boba Fett and Master Chief are appealing because the fans will always come up with a backstory and personality that they think is coolest. Boba Fett wasn't nearly as cool after we saw his origin in Episode 2, was he?

I, on the other hand, thought the shark was still pretty damn scary when I could see it. I'm willing to keep an open mind and try to enjoy Other M. Other people are naturally going to be afraid of change because Samus will no longer fit their fantasy of her.

RidleySaria on
    edited August 2010
    Because she has her mythos and the imagination of the players as a silent protagonist. It's like if Link in the Legend of Zelda games started acting like his Super Mario Bros. Super Show version. He's far more effective as a silent protagonist. His determination in saving Zelda and his heroism say all he needs to say.

Far more effective is not the same thing as not generic. I don't know if I'd agree with you about Samus being more effective that way, but at least it would make more sense than the "generic" criticism.

UncleSporky on
    edited August 2010
    It's funny because Link is the only mute MC I hope keeps his mouth shut. Samus speaking doesn't bother me that much.

lionheart_m on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think I'm gonna go pre-order this. Will be nice since I should be finishing up with MP:C right about launch.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Samus hasn't been mute since Super Metroid, so her speaking isn't all that new.

Shady3011 on
    edited August 2010
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Samus hasn't been mute since Super Metroid, so her speaking isn't all that new.

A few lines at the start or end of the game doesn't mean she's not a silent protagonist.

UncleSporky on