As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    squidbunny wrote: »
    I mentioned this I think in the other thread but I'm fine with portraying their relationship ambiguously on the cover; one of the key points of the story is Vane is not actually a bounty hunter pursuing an outlaw or a jealous hag out for revenge on an old flame as is apparent in the beginning.

I'd love for more folks to express a preference among all these thumbnails I'm junking the place up with; I really appreciate all the great, pointed crits but I feel everyone's effort is going to be largely wasted since I only plan to develop one of these ideas.

That said: what about something more graphic and less literal?

cover_sketch_4002.jpg

i feel like this lacks the charm your other ones had. It feels like it's saying "LOOK THERE'S A STORY HERE" which we already know cause its a comic....

NakedZergling on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    WIP

wipran.jpg

Obilex on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's hard to make out the scale of things. Is that thing near the bottom center a rock formation with people on it?

MKR on
    edited August 2010
    yea, maybe I should make them a little bigger?

Obilex on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    I thought the rock+people bit was Batman at first glance.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    satankareokeprint-web.jpg

Wallpapers please? Man, i love your shit.

hadoken on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What sizes? It's originally a3 at 300dpi so I should be able to cut it down to screen res no problem.... The cropping might not be perfect though.

desperaterobots on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    1680 x 1050 pls

Projeck on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Satan Has Beta' Hairdressers?

love it.

brokecracker on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Obilex wrote: »
    WIP

The colours on the foreground rocks are distracting me from the vista in the centre. Basically my eyes are roaming everywhere and can't find a focus. (also lighting-wise they don't make a lot of sense).

tynic on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DesperateRobots - I demand that you have an exhibition in Adelaide!

Sketch i did tonight.

michael-jackson-swing2.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    WCK - That's pretty good my friend! I like it. The hands and feet are the weakest parts at the moment, but I must ask, why do you like drawing Michael so much? Also, what's your favorite song of his?

F87 on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Alright, I'm no artist so I'm gonna go at it with my other talents.

Is it supposed to be an in period Western? Because those really ought to be revolvers, if so.

If that weird firey rope is an actual physical combat rope, no trained user would wrap it around themselves in that way. There is something to be said for body wraps, but while moving they're a bit tougher to manage. Additionally, he'd probably want to have less of it extended so that he can get better leverage in order to manage a leg pull. Unless he's just really strong, which wouldn't require that, but it's good policy regardless.

I thought the standing end of the rope being a handful of fire pretty much established it was magic in nature and not an actual lariat.

No, it's not a period Western (it has magic, and steampunkish semi-automated weaponry). Still, I feel compelled to point out that those pistols, despite their clockwork automation, are tightly based on Volcanic repeating pistols, which were lever action, not revolving, and were very much an actual thing.

It could have been a firey rope that still has a solid form, I wasn't sure.

And yeah, I know there were lever action repeating pistols, I was just saying because it's such a classic western thing.

Also, does she have spurs on? Because that's another thing that isn't necessary, but would add to the western flavor.

Other than that, the project looks incredible, and definitely something I'd read.

Straightzi on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks, mate. :D
    F87 wrote: »
    I must ask, why do you like drawing Michael so much?

Been passively wondering about this, myself.

EDIT: Worked this up a little more.

cover_WIPv2.1.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arfenhouse wrote: »
    steampunk2.png

:shock:

This is looking awesome!

NibCrom on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    F87 wrote: »
    WCK - That's pretty good my friend! I like it. The hands and feet are the weakest parts at the moment, but I must ask, why do you like drawing Michael so much? Also, what's your favorite song of his?

Yeah i agree, hands are shite! i hate drawing hands.
    Haha. Yeah ive been drawing MJ since i started drawing (about 3 yrs ago). I like drawing him for the same reason people may like drawing anyone else. I think the guy was very inspirational in regards to his work ethic and passion for his art. I admire people who are successful who start with nothing in life (another being Jay Leno).
    i think like most people, I'd like to think that the guys lifestyle choices where all innocent.
    Favorite songs would be 'Jam', 'Heart Breaker' and 'Off the Wall'

oh if you want to hear a really inspiring interview one of his friends did in private with him (where he sounds like a normal person), heres the links

winter_combat_knight on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Modeling is fun. More body parts and helmet tomorrow!

Spoilered for size.
    headpreview.jpg[/URL]

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited August 2010
    Quick update, hopefully this fixed the scale issue.

wprun2.jpg

Obilex on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aumni that face is way too long.

rts on
    edited August 2010
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Aumni that face is way too long.

Hrm, you might be right. I resized the views a little bit and I think I squeezed them a little too much. Thanks for the eyes.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • SleeplessSleepless Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have been super busy with commissions but HERE IS A DOODLE I DONE DID!

WhiteHairedPrettyBoy.jpg

I think the gradient actually looks super lame. Any ideas on what to stick there instead?

Sleepless on
    www.livestream.com/doodlewithmattg
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like the skin tones, Sleepless.

here's a mockup for the cover of a book (I get WAY too into dungeons and dragons with my friends, we wrote a 212 page book for last summer's sessions, and are working on the 2nd book in the series now)

it's basically a photo mashup at this point, but I wanted to see how the idea panned out

cover2mockup.jpg

the people are so smaaaaall, I don't like that but I don't know how much I can do about it

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aumni wrote: »
    Modeling is fun. More body parts and helmet tomorrow!

Spoilered for size.
    headpreview.jpg[/URL]

Hey, man. Heads are definitely a great place to study when you're starting to model in 3D. The biggest thing I have (and this just comes from experience) is the knowledge of edgeflow.

Especially if this lady will be animated in any way, you want to make sure the edgeflow or your topology flows naturally with the form.

9300W.jpg

When you're modeling, you want to keep in mind your anatomy. We humans have this naturally occurring shape with our muscles around our eyes and mouth that looks a lot like a ski mask. (atleast to me)

critm.jpg

When you first begin a face, make sure the edges around the eyes and mouth mimic this idea. Once you get the broad shape down, start to carve in edgeloops horizontally across the side of the face. For better topology and efficency, have the loops wrap around the ear and flow back into the jaw.

Hope this helps, keep at it. :D

GurtPerk on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just had to share this pic....figured people here could appreciate it.
    littlefanboy.jpg

NakedZergling on
    edited August 2010
    Cake I'm gonna keep her face the way it is, just for time and the fact she's going to be wearing quite a large helmet for the final render anyway.

Gurt - Awesome information! I definitely reworked a lot of edges to try and get that loop feel but my lack of experience definitely makes for some sloppy work around the mouth/eyes/ears. Fortunately this won't be for animation, however I'll still probably tweak it!

Zerg - That kid is going to grow up right.

Aumni on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Cake I'm gonna keep her face the way it is, just for time and the fact she's going to be wearing quite a large helmet for the final render anyway.

I dunno, I think going in for some tweaks would really help, the more work you put into it and the more realistic it becomes on the detail level, the more obvious the alien-type proportions are going to stand out. It's going to be a lot easier to fix now than down the road. You can already see the effect of this in starting from your turnaround drawings- as drawings, they look fine- but when thrown into 3d, what were minor flaws that weren't even really noticeable become much more obvious and harder to ignore.

Just notes on the proportions:

-As a general rule, the vertical distance from the bottom of the chin to the tear duct of the eye is the same as from the tear duct to the top of the head- measuring that out on your head, you've got 1-2 inches of extra cranium height there.
    -Similarly, the distances from the hairline to the brow ridge, the brow ridge to the base of the nose, and the base of the nose to the bottom of the chin are equal distances. From what you've got, the nose should probably be brought up near the bottom, then the lips brought up to match, making for a slightly bigger chin.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited August 2010
    I love you guys.

Here are the adjusted proportions, I'm still working on the loops. Lowered the cranium a bit, upped the nose and lips slightly. Not sure why I was adverse to fixing it, it was easy enough at this stage. I didn't bother adjusting the projection plane images, since the head is pretty much done at this point.

Again, spoilered for size:
    headpreview2.jpg[/URL]

Thanks guys, lemme know if the head still seems kinda off. [Also I did delete the history, just not in the picture]

Aumni on
    edited August 2010
    This again. How's it looking?

sick_of_this_cover.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zerg - You can tell he's soaking that all in. Congratulations on the kid, man!
    This again. How's it looking?

sick_of_this_cover.jpg

Those colors are still rockin', is the shape of the flame supposed to resemble anything in particular? I think that's the only thing throwing me off. Really great work. :D

GurtPerk on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aumni, work on it unsmoothed. You have a lot of really messiness going on.

Kochikens on
    edited August 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Aumni, work on it unsmoothed. You have a lot of really messiness going on.

Yeah, I work on it unsmoothed, just smooth it for the pictures. I'm still cleaning up a lot of the messiness now.

Squid - I'm in the boat with a lot of people, I like it but the flame is throwing me off. It almost seems they're trying to form something, like some snakes.

Edit: Which may or may not be what you're going for.

Aumni on
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Obilex wrote: »
    Quick update, hopefully this fixed the scale issue.

wprun2.jpg

I think that the stone arch looks a bit weird - the lighting seems to contradict the light source (I can't see any light that can light the colums on the side - I'd make them darker like the two characters), and in the process it makes it look flat. Also, it seems that the viewer is looking slightly down, but the lines on the arch point to a horizontal look, that goes against the slightly lifted horizon.

Aim on
    edited August 2010
    I wish I knew anything about 3D so I could meaningfully contribute to half the conversations had here.
    Squid - I'm in the boat with a lot of people, I like it but the flame is throwing me off. It almost seems they're trying to form something, like some snakes.
    GurtPerk wrote: »
    is the shape of the flame supposed to resemble anything in particular? I think that's the only thing throwing me off

Lots of folks aren't into the flame, it seems. The idea was I wanted to keep it really unnatural-looking to immediately imply ohay he is magic and controls fire I guess? I think I'll change it, though. 4 out of 5 dentists agree it is distracting.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Could you make it a different colour to make it look supernatural?

Personally I find it jarring that the flame has such a similar size/shape to the cog thing above it, and also that it overlaps slightly on the yellow background because the top of the flame looks indistinct.

edit: the dude looks awesome though.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited August 2010
    Eh?

oh_my_god_sick_of_it.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited August 2010
    His finger bones look awfully long, but it might be the lighting.

MKR on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love you guys.

Here are the adjusted proportions, I'm still working on the loops. Lowered the cranium a bit, upped the nose and lips slightly. Not sure why I was adverse to fixing it, it was easy enough at this stage. I didn't bother adjusting the projection plane images, since the head is pretty much done at this point.

Again, spoilered for size:
    headpreview2.jpg[/URL]

Thanks guys, lemme know if the head still seems kinda off. [Also I did delete the history, just not in the picture]

You really need to work on the topology.

The edgeflow is just... messy. Lots of triangles. You need everything to be quads. Try to stay away from verticies with more than 4 (or less, actually) edges coming from them if you can. Remember, if you want this to animate, you need to follow the natural muscle lines of the face. Not only does it make it easier (and possible) to animate, it also makes it easier to tweak.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    edited August 2010
    It's also really hard to turn a tri into a quad. You tend to end up with something uglier than if you had started with quads:
    buhm.jpg

Watch for tris to pop up so you know what motions tend to create them.

MKR on
    edited August 2010
    I figured it couldn't hurt to try modeling something I drew (even if the concept isn't fully developed):
    tankam.jpg

Long way to go, but it's nice being able to draw an idea before modeling. Pencil is much easier. :)

I'm going for something more like a mechanical trebuchet rather than a turret.

MKR on
    edited August 2010
    Gurt- Thanks. He was totally fascinated, it was awesome! I was doing different voices for everyone.
    Gotta hook him on marvel and not that weak ass DC

NakedZergling on
This discussion has been closed.