As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Gaming White Whale

14567810»

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    I am still stumped how anyone could beat the first Wizpig race without that knowledge. That fucker was a nightmare to deal with.

You had to hit every zipper perfectly AND have him "kick" you most of the way up there or you couldn't beat him period.
    Like I said, it took a lot of profanity as I lost again and again. It took a lot of attempts, and I'm sure it felt as much like luck as it did skill when I finally had a flawless run.

forty on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Karl wrote: »
    I will beat Ninja Gaiden Black, but i've got to start over AGAIN because I've moved to a new xbox and it won't recognise my saved games. Before that though i was stuck at a certain point. It was fucking ridiculous.

i had to fight a tank. Then another tank.

Then a helicopter gunship.

Jesus wept.

I think I actually got past that part. I had previously gotten stuck on the boss chick in the church (Alma?), then picked it up again and started over. Got to what must be damn near the end of the game. Almost no health, no healing potions, and if i get hit AT ALL by anything I die. I think my previous save is like 2 hours of gameplay prior to where I am at, so I am very reluctant to go to a previous save.

edit: oh wait no. I get teleported to some arena where I have to defeat waves of enemies, and I just can't seem to get past them all. the ground is all ooze that's morphing or something.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OK I beat Legacy of the wizard this weekend. It took a while to get the cart to work and a search to find a game genie code (gold hack) and I left the system on the whole time but I got through it. Unbelievable, I think I got that cart in 1990 and I could still remember the layout of the dungeon and the music 20 years later. I caught myself whistling the intro tune.

It was a white whale and I have slain it.

stormbringer on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alma's usually considered to be the hardest boss in the new Ninja Gaiden (Black changes things up a bit, and I haven't played it). Second to her is probably the mounted samurai guy in the second level.

The thing about Ninja Gaiden is that even henchmen enemies can mess you up if you're not careful. You can go from full health to dead pretty quickly. On the other hand, the controls and camera work are generally solid, so any actual damage you receive is from poor timing or poor decision making a vast majority of the time.

...still not a fan of the ghost fish.

President Rex on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Triple B wrote: »
    See, a lot of people say that. I'm not trying to sound like I'm boasting, but something about Super Machoman always just made sense to me, in the way that you're supposed to fight him. Like, when to dodge, when to hit, etc. Tyson was just...I don't know. Maybe it's something in my brain that makes easy things difficult and difficult things easy. Tyson felt like a whole different ballgame. He was always *way* too fast for me.

I beat Mike Tyson like a 4 year old in KMart. Once you got past his initial one-hit KO punches he was a pansy. I even snapped a picture and sent it in to Nintendo Power and they sent me a letter congratulating me. Those were the days.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ninja Gaidens (I think I beat one, but don't recall which)
    Punchout
    Original Castlevania
    Plok on the SNES
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Maniac Mansion

But I did beat Super Ghouls N Ghosts (meaning, beat it twice), so I figure that qualifies me as hardcore right there.

Weenog42 on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Triple B wrote: »
    Zelda: Twilight Princess. I don't know why. I just...stopped playing. And then sold my Wii. :(

This for me too, except that I still own a Wii and the game.
    I was playing it, and really enjoying it, but at a certain point I just stopped playing, and never went back to it. I honestly can't remember there being any reason why I stopped.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    last christmas I finally finished off ninja gaiden 2 on my old NES. still a great game, still hard as fuck.

Jars on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been trying to get into Civ 4 for years now. I still can't get past the tutorial without feeling discouraged and bored. This goes for Dwarf Fortress too.

I know I'm missing a lot and I love city building games.

McAllen on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    gog2.jpg

:x

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Entaru wrote: »
    I finally beat ff7.

I have attempted the game a few other times before. The first time through I was a very impatient child and I rushed the whole game. By the time I got to Sepheroth I was just powerful enough for the fight to last until I ran out of mana. I couldn't win. The next couple of times I played the game I made it to various stages and whatever happened in life took me away from it.

Recently I picked it back up again and finally finished it. I'm a lot more willing to grind levels than I was when I was younger it seems.

I did this same thing the first time I played the game (rushed through it, made it to Sephiroth, and totally got wiped out by his meteor spell), but it only caused me to go and play through the game again a week later methodically clearing out every little part of the game until I had maxed out all the levels, gotten Knights of the Round, gotten all the Ultimate weapons and Limit Breaks, and killed Sephiroth quicker than I could blink...

As for the game I've never beaten... if it doesn't have to be a really old one, I'd say Fable. I got into the game right when it first came out and got really ticked off about how cheap an area of the game was, sometime after the Hobbe cave. I just recently beat it, learning just how wonderful a spell Slow Time really is.

Other than that, I'm still working on Phantasy Star II. :oops:

Nitsua on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My white whale was Zelda:links awakening, my first Zelda.

One of the dungeons had a clue getting you to look for something like an eye. I scoured that dungeon over and over.

At the time, the internet was this mythical thing people with more money had, and it took years for me to be able to sit down and find a walkthrough. Turns out rooms on the map that look like eyes was the solution.

Knowing the answer, and then squinting at the map, I could kinda see it, but unaided, I just couldn't make that leap.

Given that I've been playing games since 1983, that was slightly embarassing.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    OutkryOutkry Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    gog2.jpg

Oh lol.

The memories!

Outkry on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Phantasy Star IV is fun until you get to the Air Castle. Fuck that dungeon.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    gog2.jpg

Oh bloody hell

fuck that game

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've got a few of these I'm almost ashamed to admit.

The original Super Mario Bros. I just cannot get past 8-4. I can get there almost by muscle memory, and that is probably what is messing me up, but I cannot beat it. There. I said it. I'm ashamed to call myself a gamer now.

Another is Final Fantasy III. I'm at the last dungeon, been there for ages, but every time I try to take on the boss I have to start at the beginning of the dungeon and level up some more and I just can never level up enough it seems. That and I haven't played it in years.

Then theres Final Fantasy IV. I got to some part I can't even remember, after I got the airship, and I just couldn't figure out where to go next. Then life happened and I just never got back to it. :/

And finally Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. I got to the dark world, and I suppose something happened in life like having to go back to kindergarten or something and I never went back to the game. Then I think I lost it or someone I thought was my friend borrowed it and I have no idea where it is. I can't muster up the courage to try it again after all these years though. So sad. It was so fun.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Glass.CannonGlass.Cannon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So after a couple afternoons of pain, I finally managed to beat X-Men (NES). Shortly after, I blazed through Swords and Serpents in two sittings, since I knew full well that this was the sort of game I'd never want to start up again if I put it down for a while. Turns out it wasn't all that bad, as the second level was actually the most difficult to navigate without a map. I always quit the game early on when I was a kid because I assumed they all looked like that, but the design of the rest of the game is pretty sensible.

I assumed at this point that I was down to the last two games from my childhood (Cybernoid and Ultima: Exodus; Battletoads was something I got much later) that hadn't been beat yet. Cybernoid is going to be pure hell, and I wasn't ready to slog through another ancient RPG just yet, so I took another look through my collection. Then I saw one last game from the old days that somehow escaped notice all this time.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

...fuck.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Swords and Serpents rewards you for beating it by trying its best to give you a seizure. Seriously, if you want to play this for some reason and are in any way susceptible to these, just turn the game off after you kill the dragon. You're not missing anything.

Glass.Cannon on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I've got a few of these I'm almost ashamed to admit.

The original Super Mario Bros. I just cannot get past 8-4. I can get there almost by muscle memory, and that is probably what is messing me up, but I cannot beat it. There. I said it. I'm ashamed to call myself a gamer now.

Another is Final Fantasy III. I'm at the last dungeon, been there for ages, but every time I try to take on the boss I have to start at the beginning of the dungeon and level up some more and I just can never level up enough it seems. That and I haven't played it in years.

Then theres Final Fantasy IV. I got to some part I can't even remember, after I got the airship, and I just couldn't figure out where to go next. Then life happened and I just never got back to it. :/

And finally Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. I got to the dark world, and I suppose something happened in life like having to go back to kindergarten or something and I never went back to the game. Then I think I lost it or someone I thought was my friend borrowed it and I have no idea where it is. I can't muster up the courage to try it again after all these years though. So sad. It was so fun.

Right after the fight with Cagnazzo at Baron Castle, sounds like; after that you had to go to Troia and get the Earth Crystal back from the Magnes Cave - unfortunately one of the slowest parts of the game since you couldn't equip any metal weapons or armor (since you'd be paralyzed in battle until you unequiped them). That part required a lot of grinding to make sure you'd be tough enough to survive with the weaker non-metal equipment, so I'd say going back to the game at that point wouldn't be recommended. Luckily it keeps getting better after that, so if you want to, say, pick up the DS version on the cheap and start over it shouldn't take too long.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My "White Whale" game is currently Oblivion. I love the game to death, but I just can NOT get past some of the game's more annoying quirks. Namely:

- The awful levelling system. Thanks to my slightly perfectionist/paranoid personality, I'm unable to accept anything less than +4's to my stats on level-up. This forces me to keep track of how many times certain skills have levelled per player level, and results in large amounts of time wasted doing ridiculous crap like casting the same low level detect spell hundreds of times in a row, shield-blocking mudcrabs for 20 minutes at a time, and my personal favorite, hiking out into the wilderness and punching my horse nearly to death. Trust me, nothing kills immersion faster than forced bouts of horse violence.

- The enemy/gear scaling system. Did it really not occur to the developers how incredibly frustrating it would be to a player to spend an hour fighting through a literal hell dimension to get a piece of glass armor...only to return to the real world and see Cletus the roadside bandit wearing the exact same gear?

And before it comes up....no I can't mod my troubles away, thanks to my PS3 version of the game.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »
    For me it is an entire genre. RTS...they always look so enticing and I try to play them and I inevitably suck balls and quit.

I don't think I'll ever overcome it.

Yeah...I'm here.

I have no idea what it is that makes me suck so bad either. I try a strategy and guess what, it's the wrong one or something.

Or it's the right one but somehow my opponent already has an army 3x the size of mine.

Sipex on
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Just can't make it through the maze, or what? If you make it to King Koopa while big, it's an auto-win. Just run through him, take the hit, and jump on the axe during your few seconds of invincibility.

If you can't figure out the maze, you can look it up on-line. I'm guessing it's the flying fish and/or random hammer bro though. :)

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Final Fantasy Tactics. Many a time have I stood with a young man's foolhardiness and my harpoon in hand, only to lose focus 20-30 hours in.

Someday I will defeat this nefarious jsrpg whale.

desc on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Right after the fight with Cagnazzo at Baron Castle, sounds like; after that you had to go to Troia and get the Earth Crystal back from the Magnes Cave - unfortunately one of the slowest parts of the game since you couldn't equip any metal weapons or armor (since you'd be paralyzed in battle until you unequiped them). That part required a lot of grinding to make sure you'd be tough enough to survive with the weaker non-metal equipment, so I'd say going back to the game at that point wouldn't be recommended. Luckily it keeps getting better after that, so if you want to, say, pick up the DS version on the cheap and start over it shouldn't take too long.

Actually I might have to try that. It has been enticing to say the least, but now that I stay at work with my DS over lunch, I could use a game to get me through the free time.
    Coffey wrote: »

Just can't make it through the maze, or what? If you make it to King Koopa while big, it's an auto-win. Just run through him, take the hit, and jump on the axe during your few seconds of invincibility.

If you can't figure out the maze, you can look it up on-line. I'm guessing it's the flying fish and/or random hammer bro though. :)

It starts out fine, I'll be there no problem, but then the anticipation takes over. I've been whacking away at it for 15 years, and when I think I'll finally tackle it, I get nervous, then I hit a goomba by itself. Silly mistakes after such a long time.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It starts out fine, I'll be there no problem, but then the anticipation takes over. I've been whacking away at it for 15 years, and when I think I'll finally tackle it, I get nervous, then I hit a goomba by itself. Silly mistakes after such a long time.

:winky:

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

:winky:

You know, I never thought of equating my sex life to Mario. Maybe I should try again now that I'm married...

Then maybe I'll try beating Mario too, hey-o!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have never ascended a nethack character, and I've been playing the game off and on for years. I'm actually not terrible at it anymore. There is rarely a game where I don't make it to medusa, and I actually get a hold of the amulet of yendor with some frequency at this point. Still, I've never won. Drives me nuts.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Noggin wrote: »
    Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

I was unable to escape the exploding death star, and never went back to the game.

Wonder if I still have the cartridge...

I could never do it either. I only rented the game, but I probably spent the better part of a few days trying that sequence over and over again.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, oh, Phantom Hourglass. After I went through that pseudo-stealth nonsense in that moronic tower for the fourth time (and you get to start from the very beginning each time! Oh joy!) I just couldn't force myself to continue.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, oh, Phantom Hourglass. After I went through that pseudo-stealth nonsense in that moronic tower for the fourth time (and you get to start from the very beginning each time! Oh joy!) I just couldn't force myself to continue.

me and you = best friends

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

me and you and like 90% of people who played Phantom Hourglass = best friends

forty on
  • Options
    BlutrasereiBlutraserei Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

I was unable to escape the exploding death star, and never went back to the game.

Wonder if I still have the cartridge...

I could never do it either. I only rented the game, but I probably spent the better part of a few days trying that sequence over and over again.

Oh man. I only ever got to the last couple of levels on Endor as I recall. I don't actually remember if I beat the game or not.

Blutraserei on
    Tttnl.jpg