As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4e PbP] The Serpent Swallows its Tail (OOC)

• Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm ok with it. I did it, and so have some of the others.

Crimson Phantom on
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's all good woogs. If you wanna post a move in here whenever it's convenient i'll put it up in the thread to keep the game going.
    don't stress.

i'll modify it, if it becomes obsolete too

Snowdown on
    edited August 2010
    Yea, he's gonna modify your killer attack that destroys all his creatures into a double move that stops you in the middle of the mob! :P

I'm just joking
    Or am I? :winky:

Crimson Phantom on
  • MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Toman Cincer (Rhymes with Roman Censer)
    Orokos.com sheet

TomanShadows.gif
    I'd like to give credit to the artist of this picture, but I honestly can't remember where I found it.
    It is photoshopped from the original to modify the sword (changing from longsword to sickle, although it ended up more closely resembling a scimitar, and also to add a few minor lighting effects and flickering shadows.)

Toman2.png =-= Lumodol.png
    Character and Familiar Tokens

(April 2012) Lumodol - A bat made of shadowy smoke, and appears to have an undead form
    Familiar Rules

A young human male with dark black hair, which he wears long to obscure his face. Although his clothes and cape are marked by dark colors and symbols associated with necromantic influence, they are well maintained, clean, and free of stains, rips, or tears. He wears leather armor that is decorated straps stained the color of dried blood and adorned with silver skulls. The vambraces are constructed of braided leather straps and silver skull motif couter (elbow armor). When he moves, he trails wispy shadows that build in intensity with his movements, forming into obscuring clouds of dark fog. His weapons of choice are an ebon rod made from what appears to be a blackened human bone and also a stylized sickle, decorated with skull motif on the cross-guarded hilt, both of these glow and crackle with purple energy when he uses them in battle.

Special Equipment/Notes:
    (April 2012) His vambraces conceal a hidden item compartment that he uses to hide his thieves tools.
    (April 2012) He keeps a battered metal rod implement that belonged to fellow adventurer Kallas

Toman's Tale -
    "I grew up in Aglarond, and though human spent a fair time among the elves, and speak the elvish tongue as fluently as that of man. My family were farmers, and though not rich, they provided well enough for me. But I was never really accepted by the other children, or the community where we lived.

"You see I had the unfortunate fate to find death and all its trappings fascinating. While others feared places of death, I would seek them out. Graveyards, the gallows, slaughterhouses, it had little matter to me, they all were appealing in their own was. Needless to say, this marked me as an outsider, and I was shunned and ridiculed for it. So I came to prefer the company of the dead over the living, I studied the things of the dead and drew comfort from the sanctity and stillness of the grave.

"It was a few years ago or so that I heard of Necromancy, tales of the Necromancers of Thay... well I know better now, but at the time it seemed a land of people who would understand me and accept me as I was. So I left my home without so much as a word to my parents and crossed the border seeking what I thought to be a better life. In my naïveté I signed my life over to the first necromancer I met as his apprentice.

"Let no man tell you of the horrors a necromancer can perform upon the dead," The young mans eyes glaze over slightly, "it is the atrocities against the living that should be feared." He shakes his head and gives a weak smile, "At any rate, it was not something I would wish upon another.

"After some months, or years, I cannot say how long I was in his service. I began to fear for my life and sanity, and so began to bargain with the things that my master summoned from the shadows. I would call them in secret, the darkest hours of the night and asked them to free me, to slay my master, to kill me even. Every request I made, they deinied, until the day I asked that they give me the power to free myself. It was then the voices whispered to me, 'In tHis, wE cAn sTRikE a bArGaiN.'

"I had enough presence of mind to know this was a risky bargain, but I was desperate and foolish. After much debate and arguments in the dead of the night, the bargain was finally struck. I would be given as much power as I dared call upon, but every time I drew upon it, I could lose a small bit of my self, but I would not lose my soul unless I willingly chose to give it over to them. I assumed that the powers would drain away my life until such a time that they thought I would bargain away my soul to stay alive. But to me it seemed like a perfect deal, as I planned to only call upon the powers once.

"The next day I called every bit of the power that I could, and with sheer willpower channeled that darkness into my master as he opened my cell. I recall very little of what happened next, other than the screams that still haunt my dreams, and then... well, I must have passed out.

"When I awoke my master was gone leaving behind a pile of ashes and charred and blackened bones, his death I do not regret in the least. But the others... every cell... all of them," Toman pauses, rubs his eyes, and pinches the bridges of his nose before continuing. "At any rate, I was free, and thought I would never have to deal with that darkness again, but everything has a price. I had only considered what the shadow creatures would take from me in our bargain, I never considered what they might leave behind.

"From that day to this, when I move shadows form around me. When I grow angry, words of darkness come forth unbidden from my lips. And time and time again when I have been forced to call upon the shadows within me, they come forth with a fury that I fear I can scarcely control.

"So I fled once more, from my home and my past. Heading ever westward, chasing the setting sun. In my journeys there were those who labeled me as evil and an abomination. I was blamed for afflictions and deaths that I had no knowledge of, and I have been chased away from more than one town for doing nothing more than daring to enter the city gates. So for a time I stuck to the shadows and traveled at night, finding solace in the resting places of the dead.

"I have avoided conflict and fled from persecution whenever I can, and to my shame fought back when I was forced to defend myself. Until I met my allies here, I was ready to live my life in such a manner, always moving and fleeing from those who would do me harm. But my friends like Rolan, and Kallas..." he pauses his voice catching in his throat, before taking a deep calming breath and continuing. "... and even Amos, have accepted me for what I am. And from them I draw the strength to continue on, keeping that which is within me locked away from the world.

Toman's Habits
    Travelling with Toman you notice many eccentric behaviors and odd habits:

APPEARANCE
    When Toman changes clothes or disrobes numerous scars from untold injuries can be seen covering his arms, legs, and a great deal of his body.

BEHAVIOR
    When resting or idle he often plays mournful tunes on a small bone flute
    If bored he paces around, though his silence when his does so is disquieting
    He shuns bright light, stating that it makes him itch
    He shows an aversion to dirt, filth, and grime and will scrub and clean his armor at first opportunity if it becomes soiled.
    (April 2012) He has a habit of acquiring items through stealing or con-artistry, even though he could afford to purchase them
    The only times he seems completely relaxed is in places that revere the dead, such as graveyards and mausoleums

SPEECH
    Although human, he mixes the elvish language easily into his speech, especially when using profanities
    He makes bad puns and jokes, often while in battle
    He tends to ramble excitedly when speaking of the dead
    (April 2012) Often unnecessarily speaks in alliteration

But more disturbing are the times when he is focused on his task at hand
    POSSESSION
    The shadows that shroud him become thicker and more sinister
    His irises darken and his eyes seem to glow a faint purple-black and he grows quiet, his jokes and quips cease
    He will utter small bits of dark speech (sometimes without appearing to notice)
    At times, in battle he seems to become less a human being and more a creature of shadow
    When under great stress the shadow inhabiting him seemingly takes over
    The shadow being that inhabits him calls itself DeKardis
    DeKardis addresses itself by the plural pronoun 'we' instead of 'I' and exhibits other odd speech patterns

DEVELOPMENT (Character Growth during the story)

Despite his dislike of Amos, Toman seeks his approval and views him as a father figure
    (perhaps an insight into Toman's relationship with his own parents)

MidrealmDM on
    Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    HP: 18/29 | Surge Value: 7 (7/7) | AP 1/1
    AC 15 | Fort 13 | Ref 15 | Will 16
    Insight: 16 | Perception: 19
    Condition: Concealment until EoMNT, +2 Bonus to all Def until EoMNT
    Darkspiral Aura: 0
    Cursed: Drake, Boss
    Campaign Languages
  • WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    dig the pic lookin like this guy has alot going on!

haha crimson thanks for setting my mind at ease.XD

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
    edited August 2010
    Welcome :P

Crimson Phantom on
    edited August 2010
    Muahahaha?

Snowdown on
    edited August 2010
    I just noticed that there is a mixture of diety pantheons (Player's Handbook / Eberron / Forgotten Realms) worhsipped by the party. Are the other deities as commonly known as the FR ones in this campaign?

Or are those worshipping non-FR dieties considered to be followers of more obscure gods?

Just curious more than anything else...

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    edited August 2010
    I believe that the non FR deities don't exist in FR.

Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong? ;)

Snowdown on
    edited August 2010
    Snowdown wrote: »
    I believe that the non FR deities don't exist in FR.

Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong? ;)

Well that's what I thought - and I don't mean to be making waves -
    but some of the deities chosen by members of party aren't listed as FR deities.
    So I thought maybe you had houseruled something.

Specifically: Aureon I believe is an Eberron Deity
    And I'm not sure about Pelor - my knowledge of Forgotten Realms is sketchy at best.

I am relying on wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_deities

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • KorsahnKorsahn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This also makes reference to an extremely similar Deity in the Greyhawk campaign setting: Pelor, the Sun God. Considering that Pelor is the chief (though not official) Deity of humans in his realm, it is not entirely unlikely that The Morninglord is an incarnation of Pelor, having migrated to Abeir-Toril along with the human race, having been enslaved by the ancient Imaskarian Empire.

^ I feel that explains best why I chose Pelor. If that is too roundabout, or just a bit weird, I can edit to worship Lathander

Korsahn on
    edited August 2010
    So, totally forgot that the two goblins Skull1 and Warrior1 take 2 damage at the start of their turn. Also shouldn't Warrior1 be standing and not prone?

Crimson Phantom on
    edited August 2010
    I.thought you hit the warrior and missed the skull?

Korsahn on
    edited August 2010
    elven reroll :D

even got a crit on the reroll

Crimson Phantom on
    edited August 2010
    Korsahn wrote: »
    This also makes reference to an extremely similar Deity in the Greyhawk campaign setting: Pelor, the Sun God. Considering that Pelor is the chief (though not official) Deity of humans in his realm, it is not entirely unlikely that The Morninglord is an incarnation of Pelor, having migrated to Abeir-Toril along with the human race, having been enslaved by the ancient Imaskarian Empire.

^ I feel that explains best why I chose Pelor. If that is too roundabout, or just a bit weird, I can edit to worship Lathander

Makes sense to me :)

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    edited August 2010
    Okay, so dieties.

I told Amos at the beginning (I think he worshipped Pelor at first) to switch to amanautor.
    I should've given him the option to choose lathander as well...so Amos, if you'd rather worship lathander, that's fine.

Everyone who's a non-divine class, I didn't even look at your gods. I wouldn't do that in a tabletop game, and I should've, but I didn't.

In the FR I'm going to run, Pelor and Lathander aren't the same diety.

Even if they were, on the world of Forgotten realm, he would be known by the name Lathander, and only a few of the old greater gods and maybe super powerful followers who had traveled to other crystal spheres might know or suspect it.

So, if you have a diety that's not FR picked, please change it. Kallas, you can choose either Lathander, or Amanautor....or really whoever you like, those two just probably fit best.

Snowdown on
    edited August 2010
    Second thing, and this was entirely my mistake, so I'm not going to change the outcome of your roll, Zan-Kyri.

The Zone that the hexer dropped does TWO things that stack.

First all of HIS allies that are in the zone get concealment, which translates to -2 to attack them while they're in the zone.

Second, all ENEMIES of him get -2 to hit while they're in the zone.

So effectively if you're in the zone, and so is your target, you're at -4 to hit, not -2.

So we'll play it that way from now on.

Snowdown on
  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm sticking to Amaunator...Lathander is/was (depending on time I guess) a pretender, merely a husk for the great Amanautor to live in until it was time for him to resurface!

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
    edited August 2010
    Yah, skip the Lathander thing, Amaunator was worshipped under the name lathander for centuries, but has reclaimed his name now.....SO, pelor would most likely be amaunator

LOTS of changes to FR in 4e ;)

Snowdown on
    edited August 2010
    So, totally forgot that the two goblins Skull1 and Warrior1 take 2 damage at the start of their turn. Also shouldn't Warrior1 be standing and not prone?

Do me a favor, and let me know next time you use something that creates a zone that does damage until the EOYNT. I didn't look up the power, just applied what's in the post.

It would help me a bunch, since I don't know all the powers, or even a 1/10 of them by heart....yet ;)

Snowdown on
    edited August 2010
    lol yea, this game is the first time I used that power. I'm not concerned about the 2 damage, it's more of the prone aspect. Since you said the goblin stood up to throw his spear at me, and I don't want the -4 to my attack roll since I'm ranged.

Crimson Phantom on
    edited August 2010
    Ok, shall switch to Amaunator.

Korsahn on
    edited August 2010

Do me a favor, and let me know next time you use something that creates a zone that does damage until the EOYNT. I didn't look up the power, just applied what's in the post.

It would help me a bunch, since I don't know all the powers, or even a 1/10 of them by heart....yet ;)

I don't think anyone could know them all by heart - there are about 100 powers per class (minimum)

Speaking of which - I came across this

ACROBATICS: HOP DOWN
    Make an Acrobatics check to hop down 10 feet and land standing.
    Hop Down: The check is usually part of a move action, but it can be part of any of the creature’s actions that involve the creature moving. The creature cannot make this check if it is prone.
    DC: DC 15. The creature can make this Acrobatics check only if the drop is no more than 10 feet. In other words, the check cannot reduce the distance of a longer drop.
    Success: The creature hops down, lands standing, and takes no falling damage. The downward move uses no movement from the action.
    Failure: The creature falls.
    Note: This can be done untrained unlike the REDUCE FALLING DAMAGE application of Acrobatics which is Trained only.

If I had rolled Acrobatics instead of Athletics I would be ok from that 'hop down' since it was only 10 feet. Since that was my intent (I just didn't realize it was acrobatics). If you don't mind, I'd like to retract the 9 damage.

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    edited August 2010
    Sure! I thought you tried athletics, cause it was the only thing you had...didn't even check your sheet.

Snowdown on
    edited August 2010
    Sure! I thought you tried athletics, cause it was the only thing you had...didn't even check your sheet.

Heh - not trained in either one, didn't look at acrobatics because the only relevant use I knew of was 'reduce damage from a fall' which I also knew had to be trained to do. I assumed a 'hop down' would be athletics because its a jump, of sort, but I can see it being a tuck and roll landing as well.

Edit: Looking closer - the 'hop down' was added to the skill in an April update.

Oh, and thanks!

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    edited August 2010
    so close and blast attacks only take the -2 from concealment right they don't take the other -2 penalty?

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
    edited August 2010
    Woogity wrote: »
    so close and blast attacks only take the -2 from concealment right they don't take the other -2 penalty?

Opposite
    The goblins gain no concealment (from Area or Close attacks) for them being in the zone
    But if you were to enter the zone, the effect that gives all of the hexer's enemies a -2 to attack still applies.
    (Does not apply if you are standing outside the zone casting into the zone)

Concealment does not apply to Close and Area attacks
    (4E Player's Handbook pp 270-271 and Table on p 279)
    So if you have a close blast, close burst, area burst, etc
    You can ignore any attack modifiers for concealment.

Imagine it this way - throw a fireball into a room, if someone is invisible in that room (total concealment) the fireball still has the same chance to hit them because it is an explosion type effect, filling the whole room.

Now Cover (on the otherhand) does apply, so a creature hiding behind a low wall, statue, etc. will gain the benefit of cover against the area attack.
    Although for Bursts they would need cover relative to the point of origin of the attack, not the caster.

For example if a caster at O8 were to drop an Area burst 3 at F8 (below ground map - and assuming the doors were open), they would have no penalties hitting targets up to E11 and F11. The targets have cover relative to F8 and even though they have concealment from the caster (he can't see them), concealment does not matter on an Area attack.

Additionally, a creature can provide cover to another creature against ranged attacks only (not Close, Melee, or Area attacks) but one's allies never provide cover to one's enemies.
    (4E Player's Handbook p 280)

Finally Cover and Concealment don't stack - use the best of the two

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    edited August 2010
    Exactly what He said ;)

Although we had a debate, and it's arguable, but this is the way it's written in the rules. :mrgreen:

So we go with what wizards says.

Snowdown on
    edited August 2010
    im cool with going with wiz

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
    edited April 2012
    Exactly what He said ;)
    Although we had a debate, and it's arguable, but this is the way it's written in the rules. :mrgreen:
    So we go with what wizards says.

Either way is good with me,
    but If cover and concealment stack I will be abusing it too :D
    =-=-=-
    Edit: Logging out for a few hours - I will post my next turn this afternoon / tonight

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    edited August 2010
    MidrealmDM wrote: »
    Either way is good with me,
    but If they stack I will be [Strike]ab[/Strike]using it too :D

Didn't you know that tactics used by the DM is called strategy.
    Tactics used by players is just cheese ;)

Nah, we'll stick with wizards' ruling.

Snowdown on
    edited August 2010
    Anticipation... building

Will Radulus die at the hands of the hexer?
    What will Snowdown do if we experience total party wipe?

Are we allowed to discuss tactics and strategies OoC here or do we need to limit that to 'in character' battle calls?
    - planning next attack
    I could go with my daily for maximum damage potential (3d8+3 and ongoing damage / half on miss )
    but my at-wll has better chance of hitting... (1d10 + 3)

A miss on the daily is about as good as a hit on the at-will ....

I suppose it depends on what happens between now and then

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    edited August 2010
    I don't necessarily think i care if you discuss strategy, it's not easy to do on a PbP board anyway.

There really should be NO way you experience a TPK

You guys were doing great, up until the two OAs one of which was a Crit

But everyone has their action point+dailies still. Not that I suggest using them, but if you have to, you have to.

Snowdown on
  • SquintsSquints Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nah, we got this.

I already used my daily. Still have Enc.

Squints on
    edited August 2010
    I don't necessarily think i care if you discuss strategy, it's not easy to do on a PbP board anyway.

Well I was thiking things like:
    'If anyone can knock <target> prone I have an attack that will does more damage'
    'Don't attack <target> because I need it alive until my turn'
    'If you guys can move <targetA> and <targetB> together, I can hit them both on my turn'
    'Hey you have [power], if you use that then we can all use [keyword] attacks and gain extra damage.'
    There really should be NO way you experience a TPK

Unless I switch sides! :twisted:

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    edited August 2010
    holy hell haha i was thinking the +1 to defenses would maybe make the guy miss, not that i would need the healing to live through the attack XD

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
    edited August 2010
    Yah, you and Kallas were both very close to eating it.

Lucky thing you did heal though!

Snowdown on
    edited August 2010
    But everyone has their action point+dailies still. Not that I suggest using them, but if you have to, you have to.

Almost everyone ....
    Squints wrote: »
    Dimensional Thunder

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    edited August 2010
    Gonna give Amos 1 more hour to reply, then I'm going to take his turn for him (since if he doesn't act, there's almost guaranteed to be 2 unconscious characters when the hexer and skullsplitters go....unless they miss)

Snowdown on
  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, super ridiculous day yesterday. Posting it now that the baby is asleep :)

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686