As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding a Job after being fired for Gross Misconduct

TorynToryn Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, thought I would finally ask an audience of my peer's about this than trying to troll the internet for an answer. I worked for Wal-Mart for nearly 3 years when I was fired for Gross Misconduct back in December. What basically happened was, as a part of my job in Grocery DSD, I was also responsible for processing grocery damages and grocery reclamations. If something got damaged/was out of date etc, I scanned it and either threw it away or sent it back to the manufacturer for credit. I am also an insulin dependent diabetic, and have been having issues with it for the last year, spikes, lows, you name it. I was told if my sugar dropped and needed something get it.

They pulled me into the office with the LP manager, and said they had video of me taking gatorade that was going to the dumpster and consuming it. I told them about the situation with my diabetes and they said it wouldn't be a big deal, just a write up for "grazing". Than my store manager came in and said I was being fired for Gross Misconduct and was discharged. I can handle the being fired, but what my question really is, how can I find a job with this on my record? What can Wal-Mart say to future employers, and what do I need to put on my resume/job applications why I left Wal-Mart?

Toryn on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's no "record", just your previous employer's words or reference. Honesty will be your best policy in this case. Trust me. Don't try to hide why or how you got fired.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What an employer can say may be different from place to place. Post the state or province you live in so folks can give you the appropriate info.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just explain the situation if it comes up in an interview; full disclosure it better than them finding out about it after the fact. It would have helped if you had documented proof of them advising you to take what you need (I'm guessing under the assumption you would pay for it if it wasn't being destroyed).

For something like this though, honesty is your best bet. You seem sympathetic, and their actions - if this is the first time this has happened - would appear grossly disproportionate to the crime given your 3 years of unimpeachable conduct.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It happened in Georgia, and I just recently relocated to Florida with my fiance.

Toryn on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's no big deal, I know more people who gotten fired from Wal-Mart due to 'Gross Misconduct' then I know people who just gotten laid off from the place.

Just be honest on your applications. And when they call Wal-Mart, the worst Wal-Mart can say is 'No, we will not hire this guy again.".

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If I was an HR person at a company I would probably hire you based solely on the fact that you were able to put up with Wal Mart bullshit for three years. That would at least show some dedication considering Wal Mart is a revolving door employer.

If you really want to know what sort of reference Wal Mart is going to give you, have a friend pretend to be a manager for something and call them up.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I bet you Wal-mart would rehire you too, that's how not an issue this is if you tell the truth.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you really want to know what sort of reference Wal Mart is going to give you, have a friend pretend to be a manager for something and call them up.

definitely never ever do that
    ED! wrote: »
    Just explain the situation if it comes up in an interview; full disclosure it better than them finding out about it after the fact.

it is infinitely better. Failing to disclose that will be grounds for termination from another job, and "I lied on my resume because I got fired from walmart for an alleged theft" is much more difficult to explain than "I drank a bottle of gatorade and someone higher up decided to use it as an excuse to boot me for fresher, cheaper labor"

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just don't comment on it. Say you were seperated. Leave it at that. Don't make shit up. Don't disparage your previous boss. Don't tell them you stole. Just be brief and go to the next question. Anything else is going to make you look bad.

GungHo on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You don't have to disclose anything about it, you don't have to make up a cover story, and your previous employer isn't legally allowed to disclose this (well, actually that one might depend on the employer; some of them have this policy enacted though).

Henroid on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You may have to remove Wal-Mart from your resume.

Slider on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    You may have to remove Wal-Mart from your resume.

Huh?

How exactly do you suggest he explain the three year gap in employment?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Everyone has shitty jobs on their resume which they left on not-so-good terms. It's not even a concern. Just say that it was just that, a shitty gig, and you were glad you left. I have a lot of those on mine, didn't prevent me for getting any job, ever.

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    Don't tell them you stole. Just be brief and go to the next question.

I was not aware that consuming product that has been deemed unfit for sale is stealing. Especially for health reasons.

That exact thing happened to one of my friends. He'd worked at IGA for 3 years and they fired him for eating some chips from a busted packet, unfit for sale.

Warcry on
  • Options
    ExpiredHeroExpiredHero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Warcry wrote: »
    I was not aware that consuming product that has been deemed unfit for sale is stealing. Especially for health reasons.

Health concerns aside (and any prior approval that management may have given relating to those health concerns), of course it is stealing. Fit for sale or not the product belongs to the company, even if it is put in the trash it is still their property for as long as it is on their site. Switch the gatorade for lets say an iPod... "It had been dropped on the floor, was dented badly and no longer fit for sale so that means I can just walk out the store with it." That sound right to you?

Anyway, on the topic at hand - personally I would be honest about it at your next immediate job, but then never mention it at any subsequent jobs. For your next employer who wants to know why you left, being honest with them and focusing on the health concern and that you believed you had approval for this will be way better than it coming out on a reference and it looking like you hid something. For any jobs after that, just dont use them as a reference.

ExpiredHero on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When I got fired from my title insurance job for "hanging up on a client" (which was bogus, but my word against the client's), I either said:

- "I'd rather not get into the details, but I left under less than amicable circumstances."
    - Explained the situation in a non-accusatory manner, so it was more a "perfect storm" of conditions which resulted in my being let go.

Both worked.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    ExpiredHeroExpiredHero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also, don't use the word "steal" or "sacked" as both are quite emotive.

"Why did you leave Walmrt"
    "I was sacked for stealing some Gatoraid"

Is far wose than,

"Why did you leave Walmart"
    "I suffer from diabetes and was having a sugar low, because of this I needed to have some sugar urgently. I drank a bottle of Gatoraid from stock and the LP manager said this was fine, however the store manager overruled this and did not think this action was appropriate. Ultimately I was let go from the company"

ExpiredHero on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thank you guys, gives me a lot more hope in dealing with this now than from when I started this thread.

Toryn on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Although as a suggestion for the future, you may want to look in to keeping something around for situations just like this. Sugar pills or a candy bar or a bottle of soda or something, that you can keep with you, just in case. Preferably something that isn't sold in the store you work at.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "I suffer from diabetes and was having a sugar low, because of this I needed to have some sugar urgently. I drank a bottle of Gatoraid from stock and the LP manager said this was fine, however the store manager overruled this and did not think this action was appropriate. Ultimately I was let go from the company"

I would never hire someone who told me this. It shows:
    1) Poor judgment, both professionally and personally.
    2) Inability to follow basic rules and problems with authority.
    3) HIPPA red flags; way too much personal medical info. Now as a manager that I know they have diabetes, it's a whole other game with polices.

Just saying from a hiring manager perspective, you'd be too much of a risk. I'd rather hire one of the thousand other people waiting in line.

MuddBudd has it right. WalMart is not responsible for your health. And you can get the store in trouble for consuming spoiled-out goods. It's stupid for the most part, but once it's tagged, it must be destroyed or RMA'd.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MichaelLC wrote: »

3) HIPPA red flags; way too much personal medical info. Now as a manager that I know they have diabetes, it's a whole other game with polices.

Just saying from a hiring manager perspective, you'd be too much of a risk. I'd rather hire one of the thousand other people waiting in line.

MuddBudd has it right. WalMart is not responsible for your health. And you can get the store in trouble for consuming spoiled-out goods. It's stupid for the most part, but once it's tagged, it must be destroyed or RMA'd.

Why the hell would having diabetes even become a consideration? That's ridiculous. I can kind of understand your first two points but the third is categorically retarded.

I think ExpiredHero has it right. If it wasn't such a long time frame you'd been there I'd just keep it off of the resume. I don't think that's really an option for you though.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I will admit I had a lapse in judgment, but my ability to follow the rules and follow authority is not compromised, I have things I can take for it now, but being without a job for so long my insurance has been cancelled for quite a while. I am looking for ways to get back on my feet and move forward, I don't need to be slapped on the wrist yet again for things that are in the past.

Toryn on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yeah corporate policy has no forgiveness, no matter how valid the exception is.

Another option is to tell managers in the future that you may occasionally stop working to run up front and buy something sweet, even when not on break.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, if you want to get silly about it, maybe a hiring manager shouldn't care why someone left/quit/got fired from Wal-Mart.

But really, if you press someone for an answer, that's probably the absolute best one to give. You're honest about the situation and there's absolutely nothing about HIPPA, diabetes, or whatever that would interfere with future jobs. He got permission, and someone higher up than that person said no, fired him, end of story.

As long as you don't go telling your wife who then posts it on Facebook when it was told in confidence, and you didn't request his patient records to sell on Ebay, there's no HIPPA issues there. That's like not hiring someone because they're fat and didn't hide their fatness from you before hand, and then when you asked them why their clothes are so large, you wonder why they told you.

That's a stupid analogy, but not hiring someone because they sought permission for a medical necessity needed a stupid analogy. That shows planning and respect.

bowen on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Why the hell would having diabetes even become a consideration? That's ridiculous. I can kind of understand your first two points but the third is categorically retarded.

I think ExpiredHero has it right. If it wasn't such a long time frame you'd been there I'd just keep it off of the resume. I don't think that's really an option for you though.

Because if they didn't hire him he could accuse them of discrimination based on the fact he revealed his chronic condition voluntarily

edit: Though it depends on state laws whether or not diabetes or other chronic illnesses are a protected class

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Usagi wrote: »

Because if they didn't hire him he could accuse them of discrimination based on the fact he revealed his chronic condition voluntarily

edit: Though it depends on state laws whether or not diabetes or other chronic illnesses are a protected class

Like I said, it'd be stupid to not consider him because of it. So, any hiring manager that goes "lawl you told me you have diabetes, not gonna hire you, next person please" like the above is a pretty bad person.

bowen on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'm gonna disagree here - as having worked at many small and medium sized companies HR roles, a lot of hiring folks do not want to hear about ANY medical issue. Medical issues automatically mean missed work, disability claims, altered work schedules, inability to perform certain tasks, and in the case of small business, higher insurance premiums.

Is it right? No. Is it supported by fact? No. Do they still do it? Yep.

I'm not letting SIMM off the hook either - dude you have diabetes. Stop fucking around with your health. If you know that you can have a sugar crash, you need to keep sugar on you. There shouldn't be a reason you don't have a source of it tucked away in a pocket - even if its a couple sugar packets. If your condition warrants dire action, then you need to be prepared for that. If your condition doesnt warrant dire action, then you had no reason to go dumpster diving. The problem from the corporate perspective is that people begin to think of taking stuff from disposal as a job perk and they tend to stamp that out with an iron boot.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't see any issue with the above. The only thing that should be an issue is higher insurance premiums.

Everything else should be covered under a workers contract. Sick time, disability as required by the federal government should be deducted anyway, schedules should be decided on hire, inability to perform tasks with diabetes? Like what?

I mean honestly if you came here to say "you're going to get weeded out if you admit you have diabetes because of the large pool of applicants" just say it, don't justify why it's okay to say it.

bowen on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Usagi wrote: »

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Yeah, I didn't mean diabetes specifically, but any medical info is best left unsaid. Once you know an employee has any sort of medical problem, it becomes a lot more risky to fire/discipline them due to a sue-happy (American) society.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't see any issue with the above. The only thing that should be an issue is higher insurance premiums.

Everything else should be covered under a workers contract. Sick time, disability as required by the federal government should be deducted anyway, schedules should be decided on hire, inability to perform tasks with diabetes? Like what?

I mean honestly if you came here to say "you're going to get weeded out if you admit you have diabetes because of the large pool of applicants" just say it, don't justify why it's okay to say it.

Performing tasks like:
    Standing for long periods of time (Diabetes often affects feet)
    Driving or operating machinery (Diabetes often affects vision)
    Lifting more than 50 lbs (Diabetes can cause neuropathy -nerve- and nephrophathy -kidney- damage)

These kinds of problems can be staved off by simply by managing your disease, but if you have to admit that you were fired from your last job specifically because you DIDNT manage your disease, then you've got a major whammie against a decision to hire you.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd imagine working at walmart for 3 years excludes the first one, the 2nd one requires a license or certification for (which would have to be renewed?) and the last one is pretty much against NIOSH/OSHA compliance anyways, and coupled with some OSHA regulations, means you'll have to furnish them tools to lift things more than 50 lbs.

I mean yeah a normal person can probably do it, and probably would if you asked them, but they shouldn't if they knew the consequences of doing it improperly, and that's why those regulations are there. Also, what happens if someone finds out from the DoL/OSHA that you've got a 16 year old kid tossing 130 lbs around a loading dock.

Oh yeah, I'm a whistle blower by the way.

bowen on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Uh.

Having a blood sugar low is a normal part of managing insulin-dependant diabetes. You can't always control the amount of physical activity you are going to perform after taking your insulin, nor can you always know that you have consumed the amount of carbohydrate it says on the packet, and both these things can cause blood glucose to drop.

I'm a type-1 diabetic and I don't carry sugar with me when I'm at work because there are free sources of glucose all over the place here (call centre full of overweight ladies = cakefest). I imagine WalMart shelves are stocked with 70% glucose in most aisles, so if the OP had been told 'You need something, you have it!', I don't think he can be accused of 'fucking around' with his health. Being naive, though? Maybe.

I've always been upfront about my disease in interviews and it's never been a problem, but I guess that's because Australia is awesome like that.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's weird that that is considered "Gross Misconduct"... When I think of gross misconduct I think like flashing a customer or laminating puppies.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ok, fine Bowen. You're absolutely right and I'm absolutely wrong. I'm a silly goose, and you're a paragon.

Now back to Toyrn's problem - My suggestion is to just say that you had a disagreement with the management. You took a course of action that was okay'd by the loss prevention folks but it was overruled by the store manager. If you are worried about the reference, then use the LP manager, he/she probably feels bad it went down this way.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's better.

This is what you should do, and if you slip up and say something about diabetes, just admit that you weren't carrying sugar with you that day because you had already okay-ed it. Just try not to let it slip if you can help it.

bowen on
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You have a couple of options. Leave it off your resume, put the job on your resume but don't allow them to contact for a reference, put the job on your resume and use some of your fellow employees as professional references (granted that there were people there who liked working with you). If the subject comes up, be honest but don't volunteer too much information. People have a tendency to give away too much information when they are nervous or cornered. Heck you could tell them you had a medical emergency, and Walmart was zero tolerant.

3drage on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Put Walmart on your resume. The company will only be able to confirm your dates of employment. It is a violation of policy to discuss performance of an associate or termination circumstances with a non-Walmart entity (ie. another Walmart, Neighborhood Market, Sam's Club).

I know this for sure.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Whatever you do, do not tell HR about any medical issues. If the company is sub-50 people you will probably raise their health insurance renewal rate.

This shouldn't affect a hiring decision, but it often does.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »

definitely never ever do that

Question: what is bad about this?

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wouldn't even bring up the diabetes. I'd just say you were responsible for throwing out expired food, felt a bit thirsty and drank some Gatorade before you dumped it. Say it was a stupid mistake and that you learned a valuable lesson about following procedure to the letter. Diabetes sounds like an excuse. (i know it's not)

NotYou on
This discussion has been closed.