As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular

GPIA7R on

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Reposting:

I found http://www.buymicrosimadapter.com and started going through the purchase process. I logged into PayPal and noticed the name associated with the email for the account is in Cyrillic. This immediately threw up red flags to me. The PayPal site seems legit so hopefully I didn't just bork my login (I'm changing passwords on PayPal in a separate window as we speak).

Can anyone give me some help? I'm at work so my detective tools are limited.

As an aside, this seemed to be the only site offering the product in US funds.

Mugsley on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It definitely isn't an amazingly crafted website... like the prices have commas instead of decimals... But it does take you right to the paypal website, and looks good from there. It's only $6... and couldn't hurt too bad. Although I hate websites with blaitant names like that, it does seem legit. Paypal sides with the buyer 99% of the time, too.

GPIA7R on
    edited August 2010
    I think I'll see if I can back-door by going directly through PayPal (is that possible?). I'm still a little concerned that they are using some mechanism to steal PayPal passwords which then allows them access to bank accounts.

E: I'm pretty sure Eastern Europe and Russian peoples swap the commas and decimals. So $1,000.00 would be "$1.000,00" in places like Scandanavia or Czechoslovakia. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mugsley on
    edited August 2010
    It takes you to Paypal, and it's checked positive through "smartsearch" and whatever other IE addons my work PC is using. I think clicking into Paypal from their website files the order, so that Paypal and the seller know what you're purchasing. I don't think that's something you can do through just Paypal. I'd just verify the amount after you log into it. After that, Paypal handles the rest, and they absolutely can not get your passwords or account info. Tis the reason for Paypal in the first place - A secure middle-man :)

You could always go elsewhere. Microsim-shop is another website that sells them
    http://microsim-shop.com/

Or Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SIM-Adapter-3FF/dp/B003V5V2VM

GPIA7R on
    edited August 2010
    Welp, gave it a shot before your edits. I'm going to change my password just in case but I'm probably being overly cautious (blame it on me now being over 30).

Mugsley on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep the bumper on. I like the extra bit of protection, I guess, but it makes the phone bulkier and more annoying.

I'm ambivalent.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Six wrote: »
    I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep the bumper on. I like the extra bit of protection, I guess, but it makes the phone bulkier and more annoying.

I'm ambivalent.

Man, the better grip the bumper provides makes all the difference in the world to me. I've taken it out a few times since I got it, but I feel super paranoid about dropping it because it's so slick.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I want a case that provides more protection, but ISN'T so grippy - it's a pain to get it out of my pocket.

Any ideas?

Imperfect on
    edited August 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I want a case that provides more protection, but ISN'T so grippy - it's a pain to get it out of my pocket.

Any ideas?

iphone-metal-case-38.jpg

or

iphone-steel-case-2.jpeg

STEEL BABY

GPIA7R on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DVG wrote: »

I'm ambivalent.

Man, the better grip the bumper provides makes all the difference in the world to me. I've taken it out a few times since I got it, but I feel super paranoid about dropping it because it's so slick.
    I agree, when my wife got her phone she didn't keep it in a case at first, and I didn't even want to hold it for fear of dropping it and shattering it all over the ground. The good thing about the bumper is that it provides grip, but a good bit of the surface is still smooth plastic, so it's certainly not as bad as many of the third-party cases. I've really grown to like the bumper a lot.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    edited August 2010

Any ideas?

http://www.zagg.com?

Mugsley on
    edited August 2010
    Those super-thin skinds won't do diddly for drops though, which is my main worry.

Also, anyone know anything about iPhone insurance in Canada? I looked and my options look to be non-existant.

Imperfect on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Those super-thin skinds won't do diddly for drops though, which is my main worry.

Also, anyone know anything about iPhone insurance in Canada? I looked and my options look to be non-existant.

Your renters/homeowners insurance might offer a personal property rider that'll cover it.

Fats on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »

Any ideas?

iphone-metal-case-38.jpg

or

iphone-steel-case-2.jpeg

STEEL BABY

Where do you get that Star Trek one? It's super nerdy, but I already own an iphone so...

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited August 2010
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yeah, I just found it. $95 seems a bit much.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited August 2010
    4.0.2 just got released to patch the PDF exploit that allows the current method of Jailbreaking.

If you plan to Jailbreak, stay away from 4.0.2 for now.

... The update is 579 MB. Haha.

GPIA7R on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Still waiting for the white iPhone to drop.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    4.0.2 just got released to patch the PDF exploit that allows the current method of Jailbreaking.

If you plan to Jailbreak, stay away from 4.0.2 for now.

... The update is 579 MB. Haha.

Yeah, I'm not too pleased with the current update methods apple has going for iPhone and the iPhone dev tools.

I mean, I just wanted to get 4.0.1 SDK from 4.0 so I could build on my phone, and it was a multi-gigabyte download. Should have been a couple-megabyte patch.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    key ring is a fantastic app

it basically scans all those stupid little supermarket or retalier bar-code cards and fobs, and stores the bar code in your phone, so you can throw them away.

yay

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

it basically scans all those stupid little supermarket or retalier bar-code cards and fobs, and stores the bar code in your phone, so you can throw them away.

yay

I like the idea of this, but I can't help but think that certain places will give you a hard time using a digital copy of a club card, especially if it results in significant savings. I'm not saying they're right... I'm just saying that someone may get rejected, being told "How do I know that's your card and not someone else's?"

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
    edited August 2010

yay

What would be even more useful would be an app that just had prefabbed ones so I dont need to give my information to the store.

Wait, that's a decent idea for an app.

Six on
    edited August 2010
    It's shite for Canada, though. Most of our club cards have magnetic strips on 'em that the stores swipe.

Can't swipe an iPhone!

Imperfect on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    bficky wrote: »

yay

I like the idea of this, but I can't help but think that certain places will give you a hard time using a digital copy of a club card, especially if it results in significant savings. I'm not saying they're right... I'm just saying that someone may get rejected, being told "How do I know that's your card and not someone else's?"

i could see it being a problem for, like, a costco card or something, but it's hard to imagine that some 19 year old cashier at the grocery store is going to have a problem with it. i guess its application is probably limited to fairly low-importance endeavors.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited August 2010
    With normal grocery store discount/tracking cards, they'll often just use the one they have behind the register if you say you lost yours. That's what I always do at every grocery store and I'd say 80-90% of the time they just ring through the one they have sitting there.

Edit: Things like Costco cards are different though and I could see them balking.

Six on
    edited August 2010
    With normal grocery store discount/tracking cards, they'll often just use the one they have behind the register if you say you lost yours. That's what I always do at every grocery store and I'd say 80-90% of the time they just ring through the one they have sitting there.

Edit: Things like Costco cards are different though and I could see them balking.

yeah; usually they'll just scan their own card, but if you do self check-out and don't have a card it can kind of suck.

i'm just glad to take those shitty little fobs off of my key ring

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a hard time imagining that is faster than typing in a 10 digit phone number

Karrmer on
    edited August 2010
    How does this even work? I tried doing this with my library card at work, and the scanner would not read a screen picture of the barcode.

Librarian's ghost on

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I'd like to get rid of the keychain tags, but I've heard there can be trouble trying to scan the barcode off the screen.

KalTorak on
  • RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Took my phone for a swim in the ocean today.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Yeah, it's dead, Jim.

Guess I'll be getting an iPhone 4 way sooner than I planned. Problem is, i need one NOW. I'm on vacation but still need to check my emails constantly throughout the day. Yeah, i can check email on my iPad ( on which I'm typing this now) but i don't want to carry the iPad around with me everywhere we go.

Rothgarr on
    edited August 2010
    Unlike the iphone, the ipad actually floats and is waterproof.

Give it a try.

Six on
    edited August 2010
    Unlike the iphone, the ipad actually floats and is waterproof.

Give it a try.

I heard this elsewhere, and I figured "bullshit", but I eventually did give it a try (slowly at first), and whaddya know. It really does float.

Don't do it. :P

GPIA7R on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My brother game me his old 2g. Jailbroke (jailbreaked?) it, and it's awesome.

Also, Reloading Data.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looking for an extra USB cable for my iPhone that won't cost 20+. Suggestions?

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looking for an extra USB cable for my iPhone that won't cost 20+. Suggestions?

More Dock Connector Cables than you can shake a stick at!

I'd thought monoprice had one at one point, but I can't seem to find it. There are some on amazon as low as a dollar, though, so...

Pirusu on
  • zen-zen- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Upgrading to 4.0.2 won't affect my jailbreak, right? Just the .PDF exploit?

zen- on
    edited August 2010
    Got confirmation emails today. New phones in "7 to 14 business days"

ffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Mugsley on
    edited August 2010
    zen- wrote: »
    Upgrading to 4.0.2 won't affect my jailbreak, right? Just the .PDF exploit?

Upgrading WILL break the Jailbreak. Don't do it if you plan on keeping it. If you want to fix the PDF exploit, get the fix from Cydia

GPIA7R on
    edited August 2010
    This is a pretty cool back-cover:

500x_iphone4-leather.jpg

Gives it that Blackberry Bold look. Apparently $20

GPIA7R on
    edited August 2010
    How does this even work? I tried doing this with my library card at work, and the scanner would not read a screen picture of the barcode.

it worked with the three cards i scanned. basically you point the camera at the bar code, try to find an angle where the flash isn't glaring off the card and a distance where the camera can focus on the bar code. it worked 3/3 times for me (two supermarket cards and one golds gym membership).

i haven't tried scanning it at the grocery store yet though. maybe i'll stop by today and see if it works.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png