As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DOTA 2] Beta ongoing. Keys going out regularly. Join the PennyArcade channel!

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think there's a trademark or anything on DotA so they can probably use it if they want. I'd be very surprised though if Valve actually released something called Defense of the Ancients(or some other DotA acronym). Everybody was expecting that Icefrog was brought on to do something in that genre though, that's generally how Valve operates.

Zek on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey Page- ... is this what you were thinking of? (SC2 DOTA clone?)

http://www.playsotis.com/

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, Team fortress started as a mod for quake, and they didnt bother changing the name with the sequel or the other version. So why not call it Dota 2 or something if the creator/main man is the one working on it.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey Page- ... is this what you were thinking of? (SC2 DOTA clone?)

http://www.playsotis.com/

There will be a few of these, but yeah, they're all independent of dota and icefrog now. I imagine it'll be more organized than the original roc dota -> dota allstars transition at least.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    HenryVape wrote: »
    Well, Team fortress started as a mod for quake, and they didnt bother changing the name with the sequel or the other version. So why not call it Dota 2 or something if the creator/main man is the one working on it.

He is not the creator, so it will probably not have the name.

Tanolen on
    edited August 2010
    Team Fortress 2 had nothing at all to do with the creators of Team Fortress. Neither did Team Fortress Classic.

There's also a distinction between RoC dota (Reign of Chaos), dota, and dota allstars. The guys who made the original dota left and formed an indie studio, then created League of Legends. IceFrog took over and changed the map to dota allstars. This is also when it started to get really good for competitive play. IceFrog has been the total driving force behind the game ever since, and oversees all changes and balance fixes personally, which means he has control over the metagame. He does take input from top players and testers, though.

Having a single person in charge of everything helps in the way the metagame evolves. Though he takes input from other people, he still has a singular vision and goal in mind. It's almost always toward more aggressive play, which is what most players want. On the other hand, things could probably go a little faster. There's sometimes 8+ weeks between major content updates, and he's a recluse. I don't know if Valve will want him to be more or less vocal and interactive. I hope he gets to keep control over most everything in the game, though.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Team Fortress 2 had nothing at all to do with the creators of Team Fortress. Neither did Team Fortress Classic.
    Robin Walker says hi.

Monger on
    edited August 2010
    News to me.

Maybe I was thinking of Threewave or something.

Page- on
    stream
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peewi on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Interesting. Wonder what they'll change, hopefully being able to connect and replace people in games in progress for one.

I like several things about DoTA but that's a major problem along with the community which I have never seen to be worse in any other game. It's a cesspool of disgruntled assholes.

Alegis on
    edited August 2010
    Better matchmaking and connections are a given.

Hell, with 3rd party programs and garena there's been reconnects in dota for a while now.

I'm planning on seeing something new, though. Something unexpected. That's what I count on Icefrog for.

Page- on
    stream
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just came to post about this. Heres a link to the actual registration for those interested

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85102245

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well there you have it, the new secret TF2 gamemode is DOTA.

Scosglen on
    edited August 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Well there you have it, the new secret TF2 gamemode is DOTA.

Now that you mention it ...

Alegis on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hope if it is Dota, that it either flat out doesn't incorporate, or has options to turn off things like creep killing and such. As a casual player, I find the system super cool and a fun idea, but having to sit and kill your own guys so the enemy can't always seemed anti-fun to me. I like the game, I don't like the hardcore stuff. I know lots of people do, so a less hardcore toggle would be great.

SniperGuy on
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I hope if it is Dota, that it either flat out doesn't incorporate, or has options to turn off things like creep killing and such. As a casual player, I find the system super cool and a fun idea, but having to sit and kill your own guys so the enemy can't always seemed anti-fun to me. I like the game, I don't like the hardcore stuff. I know lots of people do, so a less hardcore toggle would be great.

So basically you want them to make LoL

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    There's already Easy Mode in dota, where denying creeps doesn't make nearly as much of a difference because the default gold income is so high that you don't need great creep stats to get your items, so casuals shouldn't have a problem. There's no reason to remove one of the most important parts of the game when there's already been a solution for years.

The initial laning phase, where denying is most important, doesn't last that long anyway, and there's so much ELSE going on that it's just something you do. There's never really a time when both sides are just sitting there creeping while ignoring each other, especially in higher level play. You start off with so little hp that getting positional advantage can get you free kills early.

Page- on
    stream
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I never really understood the complaint about denies in the first place, because it was so insignificant. Even pro players wind up with like, 10 denies a game average. Creep pulling was WAY more devastating in terms of EXP/Gold denied, but no one seems to complain about it because it was less prominent.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, well I just remember being yelled at alot for not doing it and finally giving up on dota since the skill level got to be so high in general and there's so many characters it has quite a bit to learn. Probably just me though.

SniperGuy on
    edited August 2010
    It's less prominent in pubs, that's for sure, and easy enough to stop in higher level play.

Denies can be a huge factor though, especially in the solo lane. Actually, since a lot of (Asian) teams are running tri-lanes it means there are 2 solos, so more chance for one team to pull ahead there. But really, creep kills are more important, since it's the support that's going for the denies.

Page- on
    stream
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

Huh. I dunno if that is such a legitimate move for Valve. The game was initially created by someone no longer associated with it, and while Icefrog has (apparently) done the vast bullwark of updating, I'm still not sure the name was his to give out. Seems Valve might have been better off just coming up with a new name, rather than Trademarking something they, IMO, don't have undeniable rights to.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited August 2010
    The only people who would dispute the claim already have a game of the same style that uses a different name. From everything I've seen the split was amicable enough that there's no reason for them to be petty.

Page- on
    stream
    edited August 2010
    The only people who would dispute the claim already have a game of the same style that uses a different name. From everything I've seen the split was amicable enough that there's no reason for them to be petty.

Well, not to disparage Valve, but they're kinda Johnny-Come-Lately's to the whole DotA thing, so if anyone is going to get the benefit of owning the name, it really shouldn't be them. In my stupid little happy foo-foo world where everyone is nice, it just seems to me that if the League of Legend and Heroes of Newarth guys choice not to use the name, even though they had claim to it, Valve should agree not to use it either. Just out of professional courtesy

Undead Scottsman on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This possibility makes me happy. I like League of Legends but the 7 consecutive loading steps make it really annoying to get a game started and I'm really missing built-in voice chat. And Steam integration!

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited August 2010

Well, not to disparage Valve, but they're kinda Johnny-Come-Lately's to the whole DotA thing, so if anyone is going to get the benefit of owning the name, it really shouldn't be them. In my stupid little happy foo-foo world where everyone is nice, it just seems to me that if the League of Legend and Heroes of Newarth guys choice not to use the name, even though they had claim to it, Valve should agree not to use it either. Just out of professional courtesy

Heroes of Neweth has nothing to do with it.

The timeline is like this:

Guy decides to make a WC3 version of Aeon of Strife, a Starcraft map. He calls it Defence of the Ancients. When WC3:TFT was released he stops updating and people start making their own versions (though some still play the old maps, now referred to as RoC DotA). The best, and most popular new version of dota is called Defence of the Ancients: Allstars. This version soon overtakes all the others, and becomes popular enough to spawn a competitive community. In fact, the new version eclipses to old so that when people talk about dota now they're really talking about dota allstars. Eventually the guy who was working on dota allstars decides he wants to go do his own thing and hands the map over to IceFrog, who keeps developing it in a new direction while the old developers form the studio that eventually makes League of Legends.

Years later Heroes of Newerth comes along, made by people that had nothing to do with the original map, but just liked it a lot. They set about copying dota allstars wholesale into their own engine, while League of Legends comes out with a game that is like dota, but has different goals and ideas. Around the time Heroes of Newerth is in beta and Starcraft 2 is firmly on the horizon Icefrog announces that he has no plans to port WC3 dota into SC2, and has instead made a deal with Valve to develop his own game while he keeps updating WC3 dota (which he has).

It's harder to get a complete picture of everything that's happened because up until very recently Icefrog made almost no effort to communicate with just about anyone but top players and whoever was helping him with the map. Even though he's agreed to interviews and started his own blog he still posts infrequently and gives only ideas about what he's trying to do. He's not said a word about Valve since he first said he'd signed with them.

In the end, the guys who originated the dota map handed the whole thing over to Icefrog when they left to make LoL, so if anyone could possibly dispute Icefrog then it would be them, and like I said before, there's no good reason for them to do so.

Page- on
    stream
    edited August 2010

Heroes of Neweth has nothing to do with it.

The timeline is like this:

Guy decides to make a WC3 version of Aeon of Strife, a Starcraft map. He calls it Defence of the Ancients. When WC3:TFT was released he stops updating and people start making their own versions (though some still play the old maps, now referred to as RoC DotA). The best, and most popular new version of dota is called Defence of the Ancients: Allstars. This version soon overtakes all the others, and becomes popular enough to spawn a competitive community. In fact, the new version eclipses to old so that when people talk about dota now they're really talking about dota allstars. Eventually the guy who was working on dota allstars decides he wants to go do his own thing and hands the map over to IceFrog, who keeps developing it in a new direction while the old developers form the studio that eventually makes League of Legends.

Years later Heroes of Newerth comes along, made by people that had nothing to do with the original map, but just liked it a lot. They set about copying dota allstars wholesale into their own engine, while League of Legends comes out with a game that is like dota, but has different goals and ideas. Around the time Heroes of Newerth is in beta and Starcraft 2 is firmly on the horizon Icefrog announces that he has no plans to port WC3 dota into SC2, and has instead made a deal with Valve to develop his own game while he keeps updating WC3 dota (which he has).

It's harder to get a complete picture of everything that's happened because up until very recently Icefrog made almost no effort to communicate with just about anyone but top players and whoever was helping him with the map. Even though he's agreed to interviews and started his own blog he still posts infrequently and gives only ideas about what he's trying to do. He's not said a word about Valve since he first said he'd signed with them.

In the end, the guys who originated the dota map handed the whole thing over to Icefrog when they left to make LoL, so if anyone could possibly dispute Icefrog then it would be them, and like I said before, there's no good reason for them to do so.

Firstly, sorry, I thought some of the people who worked on DotA went to make HoN. My bad.

Anywho, there's a very real possibility that Valve will now use the DotA name (which the original DotA guys pioneered, and have legitimate claims to) to create a product that will compete with LoL. I'd call that a VERY good reason.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited August 2010
    Maybe, but WC3 dota already competed with them, and hon competes with both. Icefrog has no problem with hon, he's said so himself. Maybe the others would, but I doubt it. Even though they'd be in the same genre, Icefrog made a lot of changes to dota after he took over, and his cryptic statements about his new game have seem to say that it'll be more along the lines of dota than LoL, meaning they'll have different audiences and design goals.

Page- on
    stream
    edited August 2010
    Maybe, but WC3 dota already competed with them, and hon competes with both.

We're talking trademarks and copyrights through, not genre concepts. There's not much they can do about HoN, and it's not like they have any control of DotA, since it's a freely available map for another game. The genie isn't getting back into the bottle there. And again, it's a free map, not a competing retail product, which is what Valve's DotA might be.
    Icefrog has no problem with hon, he's said so himself.

We weren't talking about Icefrog were we? He was in charge of the second iteration of DotA, not the first from what you've said.
    Maybe the others would, but I doubt it. Even though they'd be in the same genre, Icefrog made a lot of changes to dota after he took over, and his cryptic statements about his new game have seem to say that it'll be more along the lines of dota than LoL, meaning they'll have different audiences and design goals.

Really? You don't see a potential loss of userbase between "League of Legends: 'From creators of DotA'" and "Valve's DotA?"

Undead Scottsman on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, the games may do some things different

but we aren't comparing an adventure/puzzle game with a twitchy first-person shooter here. they're both DoTA

Alegis on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We're talking trademarks and copyrights through, not genre concepts.
    The guy who actually came up with the name DotA is the mapmaker Eul, not Guinsoo/Pendragon, who are the guys involved in League of Legends. Just FYI.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    edited August 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Yeah, the games may do some things different

but we aren't comparing an adventure/puzzle game with a twitchy first-person shooter here. they're both DoTA

They're not though. LoL changed several core things. In fact, most of the dota playing friends of mine, especially the hardcore players, couldn't stand LoL and all went to HoN.

Guinsoo and Pendragon happily handed Dota off to Icefrog. He controls that game now and owns it as much as anyone can. Now he works for Valve, so I see no reason why they should feel bad about using the name.

Edited for a bit of clairty

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    And it's not the fact that there will BE competition, which is a totally legitimate part of the industry, but it's the fact that this name, which the creators made and put out freely onto the internet (which, more than anything, should invalid that copyright ANYWAY) will be used to compete directly against them.

If that makes things any clearer.

EDIT: Apparently I took too long to make that post and I missed that the LoL guys didn't come up with the DotA name either, which makes the situation more complicated.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited August 2010
    We're talking trademarks and copyrights through, not genre concepts.
    The guy who actually came up with the name DotA is the mapmaker Eul, not Guinsoo/Pendragon, who are the guys involved in League of Legends. Just FYI.

Okay, but still, my point is valid in that Valve doesn't have the claim to copyright on it. I suppose if they tracked down the Eul guy, and got his permission or the rights from him then it's okay though. (But again, the prior use thing would make the copyright kinda pointless. It was in free use all over the internet long before Valve got the copyright on it. I'm not sure it's actually enforceable.)

Undead Scottsman on
    edited August 2010
    And it's not the fact that there will BE competition, which is a totally legitimate part of the industry, but it's the fact that this name, which the creators made and put out freely onto the internet (which, more than anything, should invalid that copyright ANYWAY) will be used to compete directly against them.

If that makes things any clearer.

Well, to be technical, when created, the game name was Defense of the Ancients.

Valve seems to have literally just trademarked DOTA, which could lead us to assume that it will stand for something else.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Maybe, but WC3 dota already competed with them, and hon competes with both.

We're talking trademarks and copyrights through, not genre concepts. There's not much they can do about HoN, and it's not like they have any control of DotA, since it's a freely available map for another game. The genie isn't getting back into the bottle there. And again, it's a free map, not a competing retail product, which is what Valve's DotA might be.
    Icefrog has no problem with hon, he's said so himself.

We weren't talking about Icefrog were we? He was in charge of the second iteration of DotA, not the first from what you've said.
    Maybe the others would, but I doubt it. Even though they'd be in the same genre, Icefrog made a lot of changes to dota after he took over, and his cryptic statements about his new game have seem to say that it'll be more along the lines of dota than LoL, meaning they'll have different audiences and design goals.

Really? You don't see a potential loss of userbase between "League of Legends: 'From creators of DotA'" and "Valve's DotA?"

What I mean is that A: Icefrog has nearly as legitimate claim tot he name as the LoL guys do, and B: Icefrog's dota and LoL will probably be so different that the audiences for both would overlap, but wouldn't be the same.

Page- on
    stream
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Im guessing it might just be DOTA and not necessarily stand for anything else. Dota has pretty much become a name for that entire genre of games.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know if I was Eul I would be suing or at least asking for some money for basically taking my name and my map concept and totally ripping it off. He should own the rights to he name at least. I knew him for abit through the community, played quite abit of DoTA with him, and was helping him test/balance is latest map he was designing for TfT. It was very much like DoTA but more RPGish. Was really cool, then he just kinda dropped off the radar.

Tommatt on
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    HenryVape wrote: »
    Im guessing it might just be DOTA and not necessarily stand for anything else. Dota has pretty much become a name for that entire genre of games.

That's a huge pet peeve of mine. They are AoS maps, damnit!

Seguer on
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Theres heaps of different DOTAs if thats the case.

Theres dota dota, free collection dota, angrier expensive pretty dota and lonely dota.

guess which is which :D

hadoken on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorry to be a newb, but what's the difference between the different DotA-style (okay, AoS) games?

In terms of infrastructure
    League of Legends - has free content, but has a premium section with more awesome stuff
    DemiGods - ???
    Heroes of Newearth - ???

In terms of gameplay
    LoL - ???
    DG - ???
    HoN - ???

Wearingglasses on
This discussion has been closed.