As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Metroid] Thread: Other M is out! Mind your spoiler tags!

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Samus hasn't been mute since Super Metroid, so her speaking isn't all that new.

A few lines at the start or end of the game doesn't mean she's not a silent protagonist.

That's true, but it's far from a mute one. We've come to understand part of her personality from those short monologues.

Shady3011 on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Which is why I question why everyone has the impression she's this hardened person who's just in it for the money!

Has she ever mentioned money once in any game? I can't remember if there was something about it in Prime 3 or not. I don't even know what currency they supposedly use.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited August 2010
    Not that I remember. I honestly never even thought about the fact that she gets paid for these missions. That always just seemed like a byproduct of completing them.

Shady3011 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    bountyhunting.jpg
    People don't bounty hunt for free.

Henroid on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah but she isn't just all about the moneyz (the currency in Metroid).

Shady3011 on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TechRat wrote: »
    My biggest concern, however? Auto-targeting.

Wow, does this ever bug me. I want the satisfaction of knowing I cleared out a room of enemies using nothing but my own skill. I don't want to simply face in the general direction of a pack of aliens and mash the fire button while the game handles all of that "tricky aiming stuff" for me. I'm hoping that this does not turn out to be a big deal overall, but it's causing me to - for the first time ever - be skeptical of a traditional Metroid game.

I'll be honest: from what I've played, if that's not your thing, then some skepticism may be healthy.

It didn't really bother me that much once I got into it, but different strokes...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited August 2010
    I thought the idea of auto-targeting was weird at first too in Tomb Raider, but then I realized I feel just as threatened with things rushing at me, having to decide where to run, if I should get up high and gun creatures down from out of reach or dodge on the ground, etc. Tomb Raider's combat is still really fun. I don't feel like it was too easy at all.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So hey, I haven't read a single preview or watched any of the recent clips of this game, and I just learned it's hitting stores this month.

Based on what's been said and heard, where are we at right now in regards to hype? Concerned, cautiously optimistic, excited?

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited August 2010
    So hey, I haven't read a single preview or watched any of the recent clips of this game, and I just learned it's hitting stores this month.

Based on what's been said and heard, where are we at right now in regards to hype? Concerned, cautiously optimistic, excited?

The "hardcore" are cautiously optimistic and everyone else is excited. (I got a reading off of everyone else with a quick trip down GameFAQs' topic titles.)

UncleSporky on
    edited August 2010
    I remember reading that the biggest concern was the abundance of story and cutscenes.

Which, for a Metroid title, is indeed a concern. I'll take cutscenes over having to stop and read a bunch of scanned documents, but I'm hoping they mostly keep things quiet, since isolation was always the main theme of Metroid. I see scenes where you've got some guys following you, and I'm just D: over them.

edited August 2010
    Yeah that seems to be everyone's concern.

But I didn't really get the most fun out of Metroid from a sense of isolation, I got it from the sense of exploration, the upgrade system, the really well designed worlds and enemies and bosses. I'm not too attached to the old ways to see if a different storytelling system works out alright.

UncleSporky on
    edited August 2010
    Well by "isolation", I'm referring to the fact that you're all alone, wandering an alien planet where everything is hostile and ready to attack you, while you go about gathering weapons and resources to fight back.

The Prime series carried that feeling perfectly until the third game, where you're just planet hopping all willy-nilly while receiving assistance from Bizzaro Mother Brain and a bunch of other soldiers.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Corruption was awesome. :x

I think I remember Reggie saying something about all the old aspects (exploration and solitude) will all be in this game. I'm betting that the majority of the scenes with a bunch of soldiers are in the into to the story.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm a bit concerned about the controls. I find holding the the wii mote sideways to be awkward and uncomfortable, and controlling a character in a 3D space with a d-pad never works out too well.

Darlan on
    edited August 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    I'm a bit concerned about the controls. I find holding the the wii mote sideways to be awkward and uncomfortable, and controlling a character in a 3D space with a d-pad never works out too well.

I'm considering using the BOSS controller that I purchased with NSMBW, but it might not work so well when I have to flip it for first-person aiming.

• TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I find the Wii remote to be pretty comfortable held NES style as long as you have one of those Wii Remote jackets on it. The squishy, bulby top actually makes it super easy to hold onto.

Timestones on
    edited August 2010
    Yea, I also do fine with the wii remote sidways as long as the jackets on. It makes the controller easier to use.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited August 2010
    Personally I can't stand holding the squishy, bulby jacket. I prefer to have strong, hard plastic wrapped around my hands.

(hur hur hur)

edited August 2010
    Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What's in that link, Brainiac? I can't get it to load up on my end.

Also, how bad can the cutscene amount be? On the one hand, we're getting a more story-driven Metroid game which might be interesting. On the other hand, we might be getting another Xeno Saga / Metal Gear Solid 4. M I RITE?

Henroid on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's supposed to be about two hours with some gameplay included for context. (?)

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited August 2010
    It's the new Iwata asks article, all translated for your pleasure. It's him and the devs speaking very candidly about Other M, development, how the story came about, all the stuff the Iwata asks column is known for.

If you've never read it, it's very entertaining.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited August 2010
    It's supposed to be about two hours with some gameplay included for context. (?)

Oh please.... :?

The cutscenes are about two hours in length when played back to back...but the rest of the game is still very much the Metroid we know and love.

There are some though who are freaking out like this is the several hour epic that was MGS4.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited August 2010
    ...that's exactly what I said. In the movie mode it's about two hours total, with some gameplay scenes included.

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2010
    Anywho,

From the Iwata Asks interview:
    Sakamoto: Evading attacks in such a cool way feels really good. Another big theme in the Metroid series is 'exploration'.

Iwata: By exploring every nook and cranny, players can discover various items and so on, can't they?

Sakamoto: They can indeed. Since the Wii Remote can be used as a 'pointer', we decided to use this feature for exploration. Point the Wii Remote controller at the screen, and the viewpoint changes automatically. We call this the 'Search view'. We make use of 3D space for this, enabling players to fully enjoy the game's characteristic exploration aspect.

Hayashi: It's simple to progress without paying attention to them, but actually the objects surrounding the player contain all sorts of hidden information. I think this game is absolutely chock-full of places that the player might pass by without noticing at first, but then go back, thinking 'actually...'. I also think that such places will make experienced Metroid players think 'Ah, this right here is Metroid gameplay.

Sakamoto: It looks like I can go over there', or 'this place looks suspicious', or 'what if I set a Bomb here, or a Super Missile there?' - the sense of finding clues like these and trying out various things is what Metroid is all about.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited August 2010
    ...that's exactly what I said. In the movie mode it's about two hours total, with some gameplay scenes included.

Were you just talking about the Movie mode?

In that case, yea, I think you're right.

(Sorry, I may have been misunderstanding what you were referring to)

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited August 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Anywho,

From the Iwata Asks interview:
    Sakamoto: Evading attacks in such a cool way feels really good. Another big theme in the Metroid series is 'exploration'.

Iwata: By exploring every nook and cranny, players can discover various items and so on, can't they?

Sakamoto: They can indeed. Since the Wii Remote can be used as a 'pointer', we decided to use this feature for exploration. Point the Wii Remote controller at the screen, and the viewpoint changes automatically. We call this the 'Search view'. We make use of 3D space for this, enabling players to fully enjoy the game's characteristic exploration aspect.

Hayashi: It's simple to progress without paying attention to them, but actually the objects surrounding the player contain all sorts of hidden information. I think this game is absolutely chock-full of places that the player might pass by without noticing at first, but then go back, thinking 'actually...'. I also think that such places will make experienced Metroid players think 'Ah, this right here is Metroid gameplay.

Sakamoto: It looks like I can go over there', or 'this place looks suspicious', or 'what if I set a Bomb here, or a Super Missile there?' - the sense of finding clues like these and trying out various things is what Metroid is all about.

As Gabe put it, you have to play the games with "Metroid-vision." If they keep that up, then the game is going to be a hit. Well, for people that care at any rate. <_<

Henroid on
    edited August 2010

Were you just talking about the Movie mode?

In that case, yea, I think you're right.

(Sorry, I may have been misunderstanding what you were referring to)

Yeah, the gameplay included for context was movie mode which is where the two hours come from. We don't have a time on just cinematics. Or an expected play time, for that matter. I can see how you could misunderstand that though.

Partially because I am generally anti-cut scene and I'm not particularly happy about this development.

enlightenedbum on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    this game comes out the same day as my mcat scores. i think that'll help me enjoy it even more, one way or another

Guek on
    edited August 2010
    Heres some info from ONM Podcast:
    The following information comes from an ONM podcast...

* "it was everything you'd expect from a Metroid game, and then a couple of other things on top of it."
    * "gorgeous"
    * "absolutely enormous"
    * over-the-shoulder segments can be a bit "strange" and "don't work that well"
    * plenty of morphball navigation
    * "massive maps to explore"
    * some of the music is described as a "bit odd"
    * "dialogue is a bit cheesy at times" but it's "a great story"
    * first person "works really well"

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=132990

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

It was.

It was also basically halo with a metroid skin. It had the most blantant hand holding and almost no focus on exploration.

Oh and that sense of isolation was pretty much nonexistant what with an entire army backing you..

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heres some info from ONM Podcast:
    * some of the music is described as a "bit odd"

Dang. I don't think any soundtrack will ever reach the pinnacle that Super Metroid planted the flag on, but I hope "a bit odd" doesn't turn out to be too damning.

Delzhand on
    edited August 2010

It was.

It was also basically halo with a metroid skin. It had the most blantant hand holding and almost no focus on exploration.

Oh and that sense of isolation was pretty much nonexistant what with an entire army backing you..

Can't tell you, never played Halo or any of the sequels. I'm not a FPS guys, with the exception of the Prime series.

Plus the army thing really only existed toward the beginning and right before the final battle. The rest was going from isolated planet to isolated planet looking for corrupted critters. Here and there the Aurora Unit would speak to you with instructions...but I didn't mind that so much.

With several games of very little in the way of secondary characters, I was kind of glad they started to bring some life to the Metroid universe other than the Space Pirates and Chozo. (Not counting the Ing and Luminoth, although both were interesting in their own way.)

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

It was.

Huh? The army is only there for specific moments. The rest of the game you're on your own. It plays nothing like Halo, had plenty of exploration and the "hand-holding" was eliminating the need for a faq to find pickups you missed.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Yeah but she isn't just all about the moneyz (the currency in Metroid).

I thought that Metroid Prime 3 established the Metroid universe currency was Friend Credits. I fully suspect Samus is paid by the Galactic Federation in Friend Credits.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    bountyhunting.jpg
    People don't bounty hunt for free.

Yeah but in that very pic she shows that she would drop everything to respond to a distress call.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    True, but what is the distress call included that it was the space pirates specifically that were attacking?

... YES I AM CONVENIENTLY MAKING THINGS UP TO EXPLAIN IT.

Henroid on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rakai wrote: »

It was.

Huh? The army is only there for specific moments. The rest of the game you're on your own. It plays nothing like Halo, had plenty of exploration and the "hand-holding" was eliminating the need for a faq to find pickups you missed.

Samus this is the army go to planet X and do objective Y. Oh the way is blocked go to planet Y for now.

This happened every 20 minutes or so. They created a forced sense of backtracking. The pickups you needed were always visible or scannable btw the hand holding was being told where to go for pretty much the entire game.

It's a flaw all modern metroids have though corruption was the worst about it.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited August 2010
    You could turn that off in the first Metroid Prime but it actually was more helpful than annoying anyways. It only really told you were to go if you spent too much time in one area. I honestly never saw that as a problem since at this point gamers expect some sort of guidance when they play a game. Not having any is honestly a problem in modern games.

Shady3011 on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    ... controlling a character in a 3D space with a d-pad never works out too well.

That was a concern of mine, too, after playing Pokepark Wii. But in Other M, I don't recall any real problem...

On another note, I really enjoyed how colorful the game was without seeming "kiddy," as some might say. A lot of bright bug-like creatures and reptiles and other alien stuff really does the trick.

Speaking of colors, the creepy tech guy said he polished up Samus' armor. I guess the Varia isn't supposed to be orange...? Those parts are now yellow, alongside the... well, yellow parts (more of a gold, really).

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!