As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video game industry thread: this one's done.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Htown wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Have you actually tried a game with touch screen analogues? I'd take the freaking c-buttons over that

Usually works fine, not sure what you're talking about.

Tactile feedback is important.

Which is one of the major reasons I haven't bought an iPhone game in a few years.

Edit: Come to think of it the ONLY time I bought one was in the first few weeks of the App Store launching.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    iApps are fine when you're pointing and clicking (though resistive screen with or without a stylus would be an order of magnitude better), or using an accelerometer. Virtual buttons are marginal at best, and virtual sticks are worthless.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If paying 10 bucks for something I want makes me retarded, then, well, I guess every time I enjoy a delicious Chipotle burrito, I'm a retard!

Sorry, I'm not calling you personally retarded.

I'm just saying it's silly to want to pay for something that used to be free, and still is free in most cases. It's like making your own delicious burrito, and also paying for it. At the very least it's not a wise use of your money.

Dedicated servers aren't free. Ask the people who provide TF2 servers for PA folks. Splitting the fee across the player base instead of relying on those who adore the game (and also paid to play it) seems more fair than not to me.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    If paying 10 bucks for something I want makes me retarded, then, well, I guess every time I enjoy a delicious Chipotle burrito, I'm a retard!

I'm just saying it's silly to want to pay for something that used to be free, and still is free in most cases. It's like making your own delicious burrito, and also paying for it. At the very least it's not a wise use of your money.

Dedicated servers aren't free. Ask the people who provide TF2 servers for PA folks. Splitting the fee across the player base instead of relying on those who adore the game (and also paid to play it) seems more fair than not to me.

Except we're talking about multiplayer entirely, not servers.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

At around 1000% markup? If they were splitting the fee, it would be approximately $10 per year, not per month.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait...are there any grounds to this whole dedicated server thing. Or are we just arguing hypotheticals?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A blog said it. It must be true.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rakai wrote: »

At around 1000% markup? If they were splitting the fee, it would be approximately $10 per year, not per month.

I didn't say the price point was a good one - only that "but dedicated servers are free for PC players" is not a good argument because it's not true.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I must have missed it somewhere because one would think this has been talked about but:

Ubisoft dropping DRM for Steamworks
    Hey everyone,

This news is destined to our PC players audience, so please spread the information if you know some.

When R.U.S.E. is released in September, it will benefit from Valve’s Steamworks API to offer the best community experience to players. Consequently, a Steam account and Internet connection will be required to activate the game, as per Steam policy. For this reason, R.U.S.E. will not use the Ubisoft protection. Single player can be played offline.
    Console players, stay tuned for more R.U.S.E. news in the coming days !

Cade on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fucking Ubisoft.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought the ROUS's didn't actually exist.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide if Sony is stupid enough to do this. Potential problems I can think of include only having a slice of the pie instead of all of it, not getting licensing fees so they will only get money from the games they publish and from selling the hardware, not selling development kits (though there obviously isn't much profit in that), and diluting the PS brand by releasing PS games for non-PS platforms.

Sony Ericsson and SCE working together? I'll believe it when I see it. The fact that they're apparently showing LBP, GoW and Modern Warfare makes me wonder if it's Sony Ericsson trying to show off bullshot tech demos without SCE's support.

It wouldn't surprise me a hell of a lot though consider how piss-poor SCE have handled the PSP, especially over the last couple of years. If they're doing this instead of a PSP2 then they may as well consider themselves done in that market.
    Now you've done it.
    jztez9.jpg

lol u so funny

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait, isn't it a good thing that they're using Steamworks instead of their own DRM?

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And that you don't need to be online for singleplayer.

Is this applying retroactively? Or just for R.U.S.E.?

Henroid on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, I hope it's retroactive so I can get that shit off my PC and add Splinter Cell to Steam.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    And that you don't need to be online for singleplayer.

Is this applying retroactively? Or just for R.U.S.E.?

Just for RUSE. They're not changing their Ubisoft DRM, they're not using at all in RUSE.

Peewi on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well then "fuck Ubisoft" still applies. "Alright, move along folks, there's nothing to see here!"

Henroid on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm putting this here because IPs and such are video game industry related, kind of.

Quoting from Destructoid, who quoted from someplace:
    "We do already have more IPs than we can exploit," he tells Official PlayStation Magazine. "I doubt we're going to do another IP. It's scary to say it, but maybe not in the next decade even, because we want to support Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake -- and hopefully we can add Rage onto that -- and I don't want five teams here. Three is scary enough."

I would like to offer advice to any and all game developers who might be reading this here thread: Don't say "exploit", say "explore". It makes you seem less like a soulless, craven douche who's in it just for the money.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So apparently Bethesda just bought out Arkane Studios, the guys that developed Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Most would probably remember them as the developers of The Crossing, the pretty ambitious online FPS with Valve which they put on hold a while back. Since then I don't think they've done much outside of helping out 2k Marin with Bioshock 2.

So yeah, seems like another smart purchase by Bethesda but I really hope they don't end up getting too big for them to sustain themselves.

Edit: Have you even seen a picture of Carmack? Look in his eyes, there's no soul there. Difference between him and Kotick though, is Carmack's a robot, sent from the future to prepare us for Kotick's invasion of Mars.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    I'm putting this here because IPs and such are video game industry related, kind of.

"We do already have more IPs than we can exploit," he tells Official PlayStation Magazine. "I doubt we're going to do another IP. It's scary to say it, but maybe not in the next decade even, because we want to support Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake -- and hopefully we can add Rage onto that -- and I don't want five teams here. Three is scary enough."

I would like to offer advice to any and all game developers who might be reading this here thread: Don't say "exploit", say "explore". It makes you seem less like a soulless, craven douche who's in it just for the money.

I'm almost certain he's not just in it for the money, but I'm more than willing to support Carmack and his rad rocketry work.

Fats on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    In 5 years I think Bethesda/ZeniMax are going to be just as major of a player as EA and Activision are perceived. They keep making good business decisions instead of the kind they can grandstand on.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Speaking of id, aren't they going to reveal Doom 4 today? And isn't Irrational Games also supposed to tell us 'what is Icarus'?

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    In 5 years I think Bethesda/ZeniMax are going to be just as major of a player as EA and Activision are perceived. They keep making good business decisions instead of the kind they can grandstand on.

Perhaps. If they don't lose all their money making a MMO. A MMO that collapses after people start soloing the end content by using stacking potions.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So apparently Bethesda just bought out Arkane Studios, the guys that developed Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Most would probably remember them as the developers of The Crossing, the pretty ambitious online FPS with Valve which they put on hold a while back. Since then I don't think they've done much outside of helping out 2k Marin with Bioshock 2.

So yeah, seems like another smart purchase by Bethesda but I really hope they don't end up getting too big for them to sustain themselves.

Edit: Have you even seen a picture of Carmack? Look in his eyes, there's no soul there. Difference between him and Kotick though, is Carmack's a robot, sent from the future to prepare us for Kotick's invasion of Mars.

Carmack is also productive while Kotick just rapes. For example:
    IGN: So I heard that you created the engine for Orcs and Elves for the DS in four days. Truth, or an exaggeration? If it is true, how the heck is that possible?

John Carmack: It is true that I wrote the 3D code in four days, but I had a good setup for it. The Fountainhead team had gone through the initial learning curve of working with the DS dev tools, so the game was basically running when I got it. They had also done some test models and a first cut at a non-tile based level model, so I had data to work on the new functionality with.

Once or twice a year I go on "working retreats", where I lock myself in a hotel room for two weeks with no internet connection for completely focused work. I tackled the DS work first this time. I had read the reference guides, I understood what the hardware did, and I had a pretty good idea how I was going to structure everything. Fortunately, I didn't hit any blind alleys, and the implementation went pretty much as I expected it to. After four days, all of the low level functionality for displaying the general purpose 3D levels and moving around models and sprites was implemented, and the Fountainhead team took it back over to finish all the detail work of the game.

http://kotaku.com/5611235/call-of-duty-black-ops-special-edition-includes-video-surveillance-vehicle
    Due out this November, the special edition of Call of Duty: Black Ops will include a tiny remote control "video surveillance vehicle" inspired by the games multiplayer.

The remote control vehicle, inspired by the RC-XD found in the game's multiplayer, has a range of about 200 feet and a fully-functioning remote camera that transmits both color video and audio. The car will only come with the yet-to-be-officially-priced Prestige Edition of the game, which also comes with all of the extras included with the Hardened Edition.

The Hardened Edition includes a custom Black Ops limited edition medal, exclusive Black Ops Avatar outfit, as well as four playable cooperative maps.

Both editions will be coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 when the game ships on Nov. 9. No official price has been announced for either edition, but GameStop lists the Prestige Edition for $150 and the Hardened Edition for $80.

No word on who is manufacturing the vehicle, but since the night vision rig looked an awful lot like it was made by toy maker EyeClops, and toy maker Spy Gear also makes a video camera-sporting truck, I suspect it could be a toy company.
    So people actually bought the night vision goggle version of the last Call of Duty? o_O

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40399/Kinect-sales-estimates-increased
    Analyst believes 4m will be sold in Q4; Says Sony’s Move is lacking the “retail buzz” being enjoyed by Microsoft’s device

Lazard Capital market analyst Colin Sebastian has increased his sales forecast for Microsoft’s Kinect for Q4 2010.

Speaking in an investor note, Sebastian says that how thinks an extra million units of the Xbox 360 motion sensing camera will be sold in the period brining his total sales forecast to 4m worldwide. He adds that Microsoft is currently manufacturing around 2m Kinect units a month.

He also thinks that Kinect is enjoying an early advantage over Move on the High Street, despite the fact that Move’s launch is just weeks away.

“We note that Sony’s Move launches in North America on September 19th, and although lacking some of the retail “buzz” vs Kinect, Move should provide an early indication as to consumer demand for the next generation of motion controllers,” Sebastian stated.

He also affirmed that in his view $99 remains the potential RRP sweet spot for the device, adding that Microsoft’s high manufacturing volumes point to possible price promotions in the New Year.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40397/Handheld-shipments-plummet-1m
    DS and PSPs decline 2.5% year-on-year as phones units rise 11%

Traditional handheld games consoles are in decline with 1m fewer devices produced this year compared to 2009.

The drop has been attributed to the rise in popularity of mobile phones equipped to play games and other forms of entertainment.

Research shows handheld consoles will decline 2.5 per cent to 38.9m this year down from 39.9m in 2009, according to market research firm Isuppli.

In comparison factory shipments of mobile phones are forecasted to reach 1.27bn in 2010 – up 11.4 per cent from last year’s 1.14bn orders.

Consumer electronics analyst for Isuppli Pamela Tufegdzic said: “The formidable lead enjoyed by mobile phones capable of gaming will continue in the years to come with no hint of decline.

“Their near-universal presence gives them the potential to become a viable competitive threat to dedicated gaming platforms – primarily handheld devices.”

Tufegdzic added: “Although gamers who prefer a superior gaming experience will always opt for either a console or handheld, sales of both platforms tend to rise and fall based on the vagaries of product development, consumer buying patterns and economic trends.”

The firm also says units of home consoles will total 52.3m this year, a small rise of 0.2 per cent year-on-year. It expects Move and Kinect to cushion its anticipated decline of console shipments next year, and for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo to launch next-gen consoles in late 2010.
    I'd post that comic about Isuppli, but I don't have it anymore.

Couscous on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    and for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo to launch next-gen consoles in late 2010.

Am I reading this right? They expect all three to launch next gen consoles this year?

slash000 on
  • Options
    a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Probably means announce.

Which is still ridiculous.

a puddle on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's buzz for Kinect?

Kinect's a god damned mess.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    and for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo to launch next-gen consoles in late 2010.

Am I reading this right? They expect all three to launch next gen consoles this year?

Probably a typo.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29834/iSuppli_Mobile_Gaming_Poised_For_Growth_As_Consoles_Hit_Market_Saturation.php
    At this point, iSuppli claimed, dedicated gaming devices "have attained market saturation." The firm said console shipments are expected to hit 59.9 million units in 2014.
    Video game console shipments will total 52.3 million in 2010, up a marginal 0.2 percent from 52.1 million in 2009. Handheld devices will fare worse, with factory units declining 2.5 percent to 38.9 million this year, down from 39.9 million in 2009.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    There's buzz for Kinect?

Kinect's a god damned mess.

I am given to understanding that the average consumer finds Kinect newer and more exciting a proposition than a black Wii Remote.

I don't think it'll translate to much sales, however.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hush you. These guys are NEVER wrong! They're piped in to the consumer hive mind, they know things you can only wish you knew!

Just fucking with ya. These guys know Jack and shit. Jack left town.

Edit - Damn grammar.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bringing out a new console at this point would be a terrible, terrible idea.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    http://www.isuppli.com/Home-and-Consumer-Electronics/News/Pages/Cell-Phone-Gaming-Soars-as-Consoles-and-Handhelds-Sputter.aspx
    iSuppliGaming.jpg
    Stupid chart is stupid. I could make a chart like that except with PCs replacing cell phones.

It looks like a typo:
    The forthcoming release of motion-sensing play from Sony’s Move and Microsoft’s Kinect is expected to breathe new life into the console space, helping to cushion the anticipated decline of overall current-generation consoles in 2011. Furthermore, as soon as late 2012, the big three gaming OEMs are expected to launch next-generation consoles, raising revenues and unit shipments into 2014, when the console market will hit 59.9 million units.

Couscous on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wouldn't think an analyst is so stupid as to not realize that releasing or even announcing new hardware that replaces a piece of hardware for which you have just released a key peripheral for will not do wonders for sales of said peripheral.

I'm giving the Big Three at least another one or two years.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Didn't Microsoft at some point once say that Kinect would be compatible with their new console or something? That's the only way they could possibly spin such an action into a positive, but even then I doubt anyone would believe it.

Either way, all you have to do to convince an analyst why this would be a horrible idea is to tell them to punch "32X" into the Wikipedia search box.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ohh, one more on Tim Schafer. Tikara provided this gem, starring David Cross's character in BL, who is just as pissy.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Tikara/ScreaminMarketingRantSAI.jpg

Here is the reference

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Didn't Microsoft at some point once say that Kinect would be compatible with their new console or something? That's the only way they could possibly spin such an action into a positive, but even then I doubt anyone would believe it.

Either way, all you have to do to convince an analyst why this would be a horrible idea is to tell them to punch "32X" into the Wikipedia search box.

Won't they want an improved model if Kinect is giong to be at all important next gen?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Won't they want an improved model if Kinect is giong to be at all important next gen?

they probably will when the time comes to actually put out a new console but I think when the first of the PR speak started to come out, they were a lot more optimistic about the capabilities of the device. When natal was first debuted, it seemed like they had a much more impressive vision than was actually realized.

Guek on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Hope you guys liked Bioshock 2, cause Bioshock 3 was just announced.

Sheep on