As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BIOSHOCK INFINITE] Experience digital jingoism March 26th.

OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
edited February 2013 in Games and Technology
This is Bioshock Infinite. It is a sort of thing that is like Bioshock. Yea.
bilogonobackground10nka.png

Announcement Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSZcCe_JPy4
E3 2011 GAMEPLAY TEASER THING FUCKYEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBEzA6P3Js
10 MINUTES OF GAMEPLAY WHOOO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DSfjAdhlU

Excellent E3 preview from Giantbomb

STEAMPUNK IN THE SKY
BioShock Infinite is a first-person shooter currently in development at Irrational Games, the studio behind the original BioShock (which sold over 4 million units worldwide). Set in 1912, BioShock Infinite introduces an entirely new narrative and gameplay experience that lifts players out of the familiar confines of Rapture and rockets them to Columbia, an immense city in the sky.

Former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt has been sent to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned in Columbia since childhood. Booker develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. DeWitt must learn to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.

LESS PR SPEAK PLEASE
Columbia is the city of the future circa 1900, created as a sort of moving World Fair, travelling the world to show the sheer power and majesty of the rising newly technological America – the Moon Landing of its day. Levine argues that between 1880 and 1900 America transformed from this Agrarian backwater to a rising technological power that ended up claiming the 20th century as its own.

Inevitably, it goes wrong. The World Fair was secretly weaponized, covered in cannons which go and do what cannons are made for. It goes rogue, causes a terrible international incident and disappears into the clouds never to be seen again.

Skip forward a few years, where in a Chandlerian move, ex-Pinkerton, strikebreaker and general low-life Booker DeWitt is hired to find a woman. This Elizabeth is missing. DeWitt can handle this. It’s what he does. The only problem is that she’s apparently in Columbia… and the mysterious figure hiring you says he can get you there.

Excellent preview article by Rock Paper Shotgun

Bioshock was all an Objectivist/Libertarian thing, so what is this about?
If the main theme behind surrounding the first "BioShock" was objectivism, the main theme of "BioShock Infinite" appears to be jingoism. At the game's premiere, propaganda posters displayed racist stereotypes of other nationalities, with George Washington in the center, looking like a savior among savages.

This undercurrent matches real American beliefs at the time. Ken Levine read a quote from President William McKinley, talking about his decision to make the Philippines part of the US. It's basically the epitome of Manifest Destiny.

That's Columbia. It's a society which believes that America knows best. Always. It's also a society in turmoil.

What does the city of Columbia feel like?
When Irrational’s creative director, Ken Levine, stopped in the middle of the presentation to give us a brief history lesson – the state of America at the turn of the century and it’s empirical attempt to annex the Philippines – it was more than flavor text. Just as Bioshock explored the downfall of an Ayn Randian utopia, Infinite sets its sights high with an alternate history breakdown of America during its meteoric rise to superpower status.

Its world, a city in the sky known as Columbia, is thick with patriotic imagery. Take every bit of Victorian architecture you’ve ever seen, stick some balloons on the bottom, cover it in American flags, and you’re only scratching the surface. It’s vibrant, lively, even hopeful, and yet, the truth is revealed as soon as we meet Columbia’s inhabitants.

The in-game demonstration began with a brief stroll down the streets of Columbia. The first thing that stood out was the perfect visual density they’ve established. Similar to the original BioShock, Infinite is a game that invites players to become enthralled with the world around them. To Booker’s left, a horse-drawn carriage passed by, complete with a seemingly mechanical, or at least heavily-armored horse. Propaganda posters lined the streets, a statue grasped an American flag, and a politician dressed as Uncle Sam was the first person that attempted to murder Booker.

28j9k09.jpg

Joystiq Interview with Ken Levine

Giantbomb VIDEO Interview with Ken Levine

bioinfintelizbtr2.jpg

Sterica on

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Screenshots. For men.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am perplexed.

FanciestWalnut on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    According to the site, it's called Bioshock Infinite. The trailer wouldn't play for me. I'm downloading it right now. Or trying to.

It's set in a city in the sky called Columbia in 1912. I'm guessing it's not in the same universe as the original Bioshock.

SteevL on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    dwm2010-08-1219-52-12-ofcj.jpg
    dwm2010-08-1219-52-42-1fxm.jpg
    skyline.jpg
    columbia.jpg
    image.php?img=dwm2010-08-1219-47-11-pcr8.jpg
    Bioshock: Yeah, we are running out of ideas. City in the air with jingoistic patriotism sound good enough?

Couscous on
    edited August 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    According to the site, it's called Bioshock Infinite. The trailer wouldn't play for me. I'm downloading it right now. Or trying to.

It's set in a city in the sky called Columbia in 1912. I'm guessing it's not in the same universe as the original Bioshock.
    BioShock Infinite is a first-person shooter currently in development at Irrational Games, the studio behind the original BioShock (which sold over 4 million units worldwide). Set in 1912, BioShock Infinite introduces an entirely new narrative and gameplay experience that lifts players out of the familiar confines of Rapture and rockets them to Columbia, an immense city in the sky.

Former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt has been sent to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned in Columbia since childhood. Booker develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. DeWitt must learn to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.

Couscous on
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Joystiq has the trailer up on there site and it works just fine.

FanciestWalnut on
  • klokklok Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bioshock 2 was a pretty big letdown, I hope this is different.

klok on
    edited August 2010
    http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/08/12/bioshock-infinite-trailer-screenshots-and-details-from-our-first-look/
    "BioShock Infinite" is set in the city of Columbia. It's a massive city in the sky, floating on hot air balloons and propellers. In the twisted timeline of "Infinite," Columbia was created by the US government in 1900 and revealed to the world at large (unlike the secret city of Rapture). Columbia was designed as a way to show the world the technological strength of America. Ken Levine describes it as the equivalent of the "moon landing of 1900." Basically the city would float around the world and show all the other countries how lacking they were compared to America.

Shortly after the time that it was launched, there was an international incident of some sort. Irrational isn't saying exactly what happened, but something went wrong and it was revealed that Columbia wasn't just a technological marvel, it was also a devastating weapon. Levine goes so far as to call it "a Death Star."

And then Columbia vanished.
    If the main theme behind surrounding the first "BioShock" was objectivism, the main theme of "BioShock Infinite" appears to be jingoism. At the game's premiere, propaganda posters displayed racist stereotypes of other nationalities, with George Washington in the center, looking like a savior among savages.

This undercurrent matches real American beliefs at the time. Ken Levine read a quote from President William McKinley, talking about his decision to make the Philippines part of the US. It's basically the epitome of Manifest Destiny.

That's Columbia. It's a society which believes that America knows best. Always. It's also a society in turmoil.

Jingoism has been done so many times that nobody cares about it at this point. Objectivism was at least kind of new.

Couscous on
    edited August 2010
    Bioshock was a lot of fun. I have faith that Levine and his team will take the new setting and themes and deliver.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know, I'm pretty stoked about this

I mean, jingoism as a driving theme isn't nearly as interesting as objectivism, and I don't know how it will give them an opportunity to say something about games like Bioshock did, but at the same time, it looks cool, and the protagonist is a former Pinkerton agent

I can get behind that

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited August 2010
    http://www.abload.de/img/dwm2010-08-1219-52-12-ofcj.jpg
    This image doesn't even work with the whole "jingoistic America trying to show a good face" thing. It would make more sense for it to be something that is meant to be welcoming but really shows how racist and lacking an understanding of other peoples the people who made it are. For example, one of the makers quoted a stupid speech by McKinley (the stupid MTV guy calles it the epitome of manifest destiny, but it isn't that).
    (4) that there was nothing left for us to do but to take them all, and to educate the Filipinos, and uplift and civilize and Christianize them, and by God’s grace do the very best we could by them, as our fellow-men for whom Christ also died.
    None of that attitude is actually there in that screenshot. The sentiment that we must educate these poor souls even if we have to take their land and brutally suppress them (and ignore the fact that a lot of them are already Christian thanks to the Spanish) is separate from the attitude that we should conquer pretty much everything we can for ourselves and not for the good of the conquered.

The picture also doesn't make sense in the context of the purpose of the city. The city is meant to be a shining city upon a hill. Even if they think that, they wouldn't put it up on a billboard.

Couscous on
    edited August 2010
    Also I love how the first trailer for this is like that first trailer for Bioshock, all first person and intense and shit

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh my god, that is a horrible horrible name.

Muddy Water on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Jingoism has been done so many times that nobody cares about it at this point. Objectivism was at least kind of new.

Really? As far as themes go, I think totalitarian governments being dicks / shadow conspiracies pulling strings / megacorporations weaponizing crap = bad gets a whole lot more play in video games. Although I guess the Japanese are big on heart or something. What are the obvious "been there done that" titles here?

EDIT: A lot of these details they're giving out seem like they'd be more interesting to learn in the game instead of the initial press releases.

Orogogus on
    edited August 2010

Columbia would be a nice subtitle. It is too much to expect them to drop the name even if the name Bioshock doesn't make much sense for this.

Couscous on
    edited August 2010

It's better than Bioshock 3, but not by much

I think that this really could have benefited from a different word before -shock, because there's no way there's plasmids in 1900, right?

I mean, there can't be, can there?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i'm ecstatic

Nuzak on
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

What about "Aeroshock"?

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Ken Levine says the name will make more sense once we play the game.

Okay.

Hey, RPS wrote about this.

Muddy Water on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As someone who thought Bioshock was only ok, I'm surprised this game is getting a lot of negative hype already. The colors man, THE COLORS

BlindPsychic on
    edited August 2010
    Listening to the Irrational Podcasts, and I totally get the vibe that they probably didn't choose the name, and it was lame ass 2K PR bros in a focus testing room.

But was that just it? I'm curious if they've also been pressured into having a crumbling city, main political theme, and super powers.

Still excited for what Irrational can do.

Also, people are forgetting that these dudes made Bioshock, so they're good at game making.

OmnomnomPancake on
    edited August 2010
    These guys can design a nice looking city.

Couscous on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, that city does look like a place I would like to romp around in.

Muddy Water on
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As someone who thought Bioshock was only ok, I'm surprised this game is getting a lot of negative hype already. The colors man, THE COLORS

Yeah, needs more brown, of the Quake color palette variety. :lol:

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm sure the name is still subject to change.

I will miss the underwater setting myself. They could have done a lot more with it from a gameplay perspective. Room full of fire? Shoot out a window and flood the place. Would have provided a neat choice in shootouts too.

This new floating setting still has interesting possibilities. I predict an escape from a building that is plummeting to earth.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    edited August 2010
    I really do hope that the shooting in this game feels a lot more

well

better than it did in Bioshock

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I liked Bioshock because of the setting, objectivism, and how it felt fairly original at the time due to the lack of non-military FPS games. The gameplay wasn't very good. For this game, I like the setting, don't care about an exploration of jingoism as plenty of media has talked about that compared to objectivism, and the overall feel feels derivative of Bioshock as a result of the whole sequel thing. I'm not expecting the gameplay to be much better except for more room to maneuver.

Couscous on
  • Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When I heard there was going to be another Bioshock my only response was to groan. But now that I'm actually looking at it and not being an asshole for the sack of being an asshole, I really like it.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PR speak GO!
    Ken Levine, BioShock creator and creative director of Irrational Games, added: “But when it came to begin work on BioShock Infinite, we only had one rule: No sacred cows. This game is both true to what people love about the series and unafraid to question every assumption. In order to explore the floating city of Columbia, we needed an entirely new engine. To bring Elizabeth to life, we had to build brand-new animation and AI systems. To create wide-ranging indoor and outdoor firefights at 30,000 feet, we had to rethink, rebuild and expand the BioShock arsenal. The only thing gamers can be certain of is this: the rules of the BioShock universe are about to change."

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    edited August 2010
    Okay, now that that's out of the way, somebody tell me what Chris Remo has to do with this.

Muddy Water on
    edited August 2010
    PR speak GO!
    Ken Levine, BioShock creator and creative director of Irrational Games, added: “But when it came to begin work on BioShock Infinite, we only had one rule: No sacred cows. This game is both true to what people love about the series and unafraid to question every assumption. In order to explore the floating city of Columbia, we needed an entirely new engine. To bring Elizabeth to life, we had to build brand-new animation and AI systems. To create wide-ranging indoor and outdoor firefights at 30,000 feet, we had to rethink, rebuild and expand the BioShock arsenal. The only thing gamers can be certain of is this: the rules of the BioShock universe are about to change."

That isn't very hard. New AI system: run straight at player while shooting at him. If you are in the air, run straight alongside player and shoot at him.

Couscous on
    edited August 2010
    The actual walk-through demo of the game – highly choreographed, as they always are at this stage – shows sections which make it clear. A lot is about trying to create the idea of horror and tension in broad-day light. For example, there’s a section where you walk into a bar. Immediately, every eye in the packed place turns to you. The seconds stretch out. You get to move and interact a little – then an inhabitant pulls a gun, and it all kicks off. It escalates into an enormous mob, hunting you down and cornering you. And it really is a mob, with far more enemies converging on you than I saw in Bioshock. Electricity blast after electricity blast fells them, but it’s clearly not going to be enough as they move with measured pace towards you.

Man

That's pretty freaky

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ken Levine says the name will make more sense once we play the game.

Okay.

Hey, RPS wrote about this.

Well worth reading if you haven't already. It goes into the ideas behind the actual setting, which is what I was most interested in. I mean Bioshock was all about Randian objectivisim, this was probably going to be themed on something.

From appearances this one seems to be themed more on imperialism, and the structures and thoughts behind it.

subedii on
    edited August 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The actual walk-through demo of the game – highly choreographed, as they always are at this stage – shows sections which make it clear. A lot is about trying to create the idea of horror and tension in broad-day light. For example, there’s a section where you walk into a bar. Immediately, every eye in the packed place turns to you. The seconds stretch out. You get to move and interact a little – then an inhabitant pulls a gun, and it all kicks off. It escalates into an enormous mob, hunting you down and cornering you. And it really is a mob, with far more enemies converging on you than I saw in Bioshock. Electricity blast after electricity blast fells them, but it’s clearly not going to be enough as they move with measured pace towards you.

Man

That's pretty freaky

That sounds really nice. A lynch mob sort of feel is something you don't see often in games. The last game I remember with that was Call of Cthulhu. Too bad it will probably give way to regular boring combat about an hour in once you get most of the weapons and are loaded with ammo.

Couscous on
    edited August 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    PR speak GO!

That isn't very hard. New AI system: run straight at player while shooting at him. If you are in the air, run straight alongside player and shoot at him.

You're being cynical for the very sake of it.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bioshock 4: Lunar Adventure

Or maybe the one after this will be set in a city in a volcano

Or a city within a city

Gumpy on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I wonder how they're going to explain the magical abilities in this game, assuming there aren't any flying ADAM slugs in the sky?

Kind of wish they'd go with a more straight-up steampunk approach to the abilities rather than relying on the same splicer magic as Bioshock 1/2.
    You're being cynical for the very sake of it.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited August 2010
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Bioshock 4: Lunar Adventure

Or maybe the one after this will be set in a city in a volcano

Or a city within a city

You mean a ghetto?

A city on the sun.

A city in cyberspace.

A city in the Earth's core.

Couscous on
    edited August 2010
    Guys I've got this idea

Bioshock

but in space

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Guys I've got this idea

Bioshock