As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Deals

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bethesda and id games are on sale this weekend on Steam. Buy the mega super pack for $70, or wait for daily deals on Bethesda games. Today's is Oblivion for 66% off.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Looks like the Oblivion deal is only good for 35 more minutes, I guess these are going to be short.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Guess the 9 AM pacific deadline was 9 AM Friday.

Impulse has the recent Command and Conquers on sale 50% off.

http://www.impulsedriven.com/explore/all/onsale

captaink on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm going to get Fort Zombie I think. It is worth $2.50, right?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is gamers gate digital download? If so I might have to pick up batman for 15 bucks. If not I might have to get oblivion for 8.

klok on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    klok wrote: »
    Is gamers gate digital download? If so I might have to pick up batman for 15 bucks. If not I might have to get oblivion for 8.

Yes it is.

captaink on
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So Oblivion and Oblivion Deluxe Edition are on sale on Steam for -66% ($6.79 and $8.49)

Is this something I wish to purchase? I vaguely remember playing Morrowind or something (is that the same company/style?) and getting bored because I accidentally wandered off the main plotline and found there was nothing of interest to do at that point.

I also heard Oblivion is all about min/maxxing or something, yes/no?

In short, why is this game fun? What would I enjoy about playing it?

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The combat in oblivion is better, there's different guilds you can join that start pretty interesting quest chains, but I remember their being a good bit to do in morrowind so I'm not sure if you could get into it. I'm currently torn between buying oblivion for 8 bucks or batman for 15.

klok on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The combat in oblivion is better, there's different guilds you can join that start pretty interesting quest chains, but I remember their being a good bit to do in morrowind so I'm not sure if you could get into it. I'm currently torn between buying oblivion for 8 bucks or batman for 15.

If you liked Morrowind at all, I recommend getting oblivion. The things people didn't like about Oblivion can be removed via mods if you have it on the PC.

seabass on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I have Batman and I gotta say... not too impressed.

The graphics are really cool. And I really like that the Scarecrow-oriented scenes really are creepy and terrifying.

That said, the game does everything in its power to drag everything out for 900 hours using pretty cheap tricks that aren't so fun.
    -Rooms full of armed guards that you have to silenty drop one at a time, then hide, wait for one to wander off on his own after 30 seconds, rinse and repeat 8 times. It was cool the first time I did it, and I felt really badass, but 4-5 times later I realize it's just a time-sink of waiting for them to walk off.
    -We came up with a cool concept for the Killer Croc level! Oh, you got the spores? Well, let's make you do it again. And now again. And again. And again.

There's a bunch of examples along those lines. It doesn't flow like a storyline like I feel games like Bioshock manage. Instead, I'm quite conscious of the 'grind' they implement at every turn to make sure I'll still be playing this game when I'm 80.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    sptestsptest Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I've used them before. They're awesome.

sptest on

Steve Tester
    safeoptionstrategies.com
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wait, so I just looked up Oblivion on Wikipedia.

So, there's a loose plot but I never really win the game and I can level, but all the mobs level at the exact same pace at me. That is, unless I run around too much and then the mobs all become too high level for me?

This doesn't really seem like a game. It just seems like a treadmill with slightly changing scenery.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »

So, there's a loose plot but I never really win the game and I can level, but all the mobs level at the exact same pace at me. That is, unless I run around too much and then the mobs all become too high level for me?

This doesn't really seem like a game. It just seems like a treadmill with slightly changing scenery.

So, you can mod out the enemy auto leveling bit, which a lot of people seemed to hate. You can also win, in the sense that you can succeed at the main quest line, but the game doesn't stop there. You get to keep playing, doing side quests or just wandering around, whatever.

seabass on
  • Options
    sptestsptest Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »

That's exactly what my experience has been with Oblivion.

sptest on

Steve Tester
    safeoptionstrategies.com
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    But this is the only reason I would pick it up for pc, the mods apparently fix a lot of things with the game and plus it comes with all the DLC, 8 dollars sounds like a deal.

klok on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As I posted in the game's thread, Metroid: Other M can be had for $15 off ($35) at Dell.

Personally, I'd advise waiting for reviews on this one, and I can see it dropping in price pretty quickly anyways. (Given the "success" of Metroid Prime trilogy and the genre mash up, not a comment on quality.) But if you're getting it at launch anyways, here you go.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Wii/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3914081

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Don't amazon and Walmart still have the $20 credit deal for that though?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yup! But it's $15 right off of the price, not $20 credit toward a future game.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Fair warning: I think EA DD is one of the last ones where you only have a certain amount of time to download. If you do buy, burn it off to a disc.

captaink on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    As I posted in the game's thread, Metroid: Other M can be had for $15 off ($35) at Dell.

Personally, I'd advise waiting for reviews on this one, and I can see it dropping in price pretty quickly anyways. (Given the "success" of Metroid Prime trilogy and the genre mash up, not a comment on quality.) But if you're getting it at launch anyways, here you go.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Wii/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3914081

Eh, Nintendo practically never drops prices on their first-party games. If you're gonna wait for a price drop, you'll probably be waiting for either a used copy, or the Wii2.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gamersgate Summer Sale, Week 3: Strategy.
    http://www.gamersgate.com/summersale

Borderlands and its DLC are 66% off for Steam's Midweek deal.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/8980/

captaink on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darlan wrote: »

Eh, Nintendo practically never drops prices on their first-party games. If you're gonna wait for a price drop, you'll probably be waiting for either a used copy, or the Wii2.

Yeah, if you ever plan on buying a Nintendo game and somehow manage to find it on sale, you'd better hop on it quick.

Woops, looks like the Dell deal is over.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bitdefender found a trojan in the copy of King's Bounty I downloaded from GamersGate. It didn't have an issue with the installer on previous installs so I don't think it's a false positive but I suppose I can't be sure.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know if it's a pricing error or what, but Splinter Cell Conviction is a dollar.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heh. Turns out it was a false positive. GamersGate is safe once more.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    STALKER+ Call of Pripyat (no Clear Sky for some reason) is only $10 this weekend on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/5011

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    STALKER+ Call of Pripyat (no Clear Sky for some reason) is only $10 this weekend on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/5011

I already have the original stalker, but not via steam. Can you gift parts of a bundle to other people, or will I have to mail my boxed copy to someone?

seabass on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You're stuck mailing the ol' box, unfortunately.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gog is doing a gamescom deal for the next week. I'm thinking about grabbing it for the missus. Has anyone played the Arkania series? Is it at all similar to the old Might and Magic games?

seabass on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Noticed on Fatwallet, Thrustmaster's cheapie HOTAS (stick & throttle) is on Meritline for $30 shipped, usually goes for $39 at Amazon/Newegg. Works on PC & PS3:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1024517/
    THRUSTMASTER Joystick T-Flight Hotas X FOR PC/ PS3 (2960703) $29.99 ac / shipped @ Meritline
    Rating: 0 Posted By: MISURICK
    Views: 478 Replies: 0

THRUSTMASTER Joystick T-Flight Hotas X FOR PC/ PS3 (2960703)

Coupon Code :MLC237051082325NL1 Starts On : 8/23/2010 5:00:00 AM limit 200 uses
    Regular Price: $39.00 Final Price: $29.99 Shipped

reviews @ amazom

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And the last week of GamersGate's Summer Sale: Indie Games!

http://www.gamersgate.com/summersale

Lots of really cheap stuff, since most of the games are only $10-20 to start with. Braid, World of Goo, Osomos, others available.

captaink on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Noticed on Fatwallet, Thrustmaster's cheapie HOTAS (stick & throttle) is on Meritline for $30 shipped, usually goes for $39 at Amazon/Newegg. Works on PC & PS3:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1024517/
    THRUSTMASTER Joystick T-Flight Hotas X FOR PC/ PS3 (2960703) $29.99 ac / shipped @ Meritline
    Rating: 0 Posted By: MISURICK
    Views: 478 Replies: 0

THRUSTMASTER Joystick T-Flight Hotas X FOR PC/ PS3 (2960703)

Coupon Code :MLC237051082325NL1 Starts On : 8/23/2010 5:00:00 AM limit 200 uses
    Regular Price: $39.00 Final Price: $29.99 Shipped

reviews @ amazom

I'd been thinking about replacing my joystick (a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) since I've never been happy with its button layout or throttle. Thanks for the heads up, and my wallet hates you.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    D2D has a code for $10 off purchases of $50 or more, that works for pre-orders like Civ5 or New Vegas too. The code is in a banner on their front page

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    captaink on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For 20 bucks, I think I'm gonna buy DJ Hero.

CowShark on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah for real. Gonna have my buddy in Anchorage pick me up that DJ hero.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wow

I don't even want DJ Hero and that's still tempting me.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
This discussion has been closed.