As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BIOSHOCK INFINITE] Experience digital jingoism March 26th.

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think it looks really cool, and I can't wait to see what they do with the whole sky motif in terms of gameplay.

But, God, what a horrible, horrible name.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is this what they've been working on this whole time? Back when Bioshock was released they made it seem like they would be working on anything but the next Bioshock game. I guess they weren't lying, they were working on the next next Bioshock.

A big meh from me. I got tired of Bioshock halfway through the second one.

Hoz on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The actual walk-through demo of the game – highly choreographed, as they always are at this stage – shows sections which make it clear. A lot is about trying to create the idea of horror and tension in broad-day light. For example, there’s a section where you walk into a bar. Immediately, every eye in the packed place turns to you. The seconds stretch out. You get to move and interact a little – then an inhabitant pulls a gun, and it all kicks off. It escalates into an enormous mob, hunting you down and cornering you. And it really is a mob, with far more enemies converging on you than I saw in Bioshock. Electricity blast after electricity blast fells them, but it’s clearly not going to be enough as they move with measured pace towards you.

Man

That's pretty freaky

That sounds really nice. A lynch mob sort of feel is something you don't see often in games. The last game I remember with that was Call of Cthulhu. Too bad it will probably give way to regular boring combat about an hour in once you get most of the weapons and are loaded with ammo.

you're too sharp for those developers i see! they thought they could make the exact same game, but with your future-predicting powers, granted when you were bitten by a cynical spider, allowed you to see straight through them!

Nuzak on
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So excited, I loved the original Bioshock. Surprised to see a lot of the internet is having such negative reactions towards it, but I guess that explains itself.

Babble on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i mean this game sounds cool, but snarky pessimism makes me look even cooler, so~

Nuzak on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I guess

I guess I'm trying to be excited for this game. I mean I loved BioShock. Early 19th century sci-fi/fantasy flying cities are pretty awesome. I dunno. It just hasn't got me that interested. I hope they can actually improve the core gameplay this time.

Also I have no idea how they're going to keep the plasmid thing going in a completely different setting in a much earlier period of time. I hope they can pull it off without making it feel like their old gameplay ideas haven't been awkwardly shoehorned in.

edit: itt Nuzak whiteknights for a game that doesn't exist yet

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    i mean this game sounds cool, but snarky pessimism makes me look even cooler, so~

Haven't you heard

All critically acclaimed developers with smash hit games are turning out shitty sequels that will totally suck nowadays

Look at Dragon Age 2!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    See? All of you people thought I was a fucking lunatic when I asked why Bioshock 2 was set in Rapture and not in some aerial area like Irrational had talked about before.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't know, I guess I just loved the story and themes of Bioshock, so something in the same vein is nothing but good for me.

Babble on
  • Options
    OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

i agree. why be critical of anything when i can gleefully consume media without analysis

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Columbia is the city of the future circa 1900, created as a sort of moving World Fair, travelling the world to show the sheer power and majesty of the rising newly technological America – the Moon Landing of its day. Levine argues that between 1880 and 1900 America transformed from this Agrarian backwater to a rising technological power that ended up claiming the 20th century as its own.

Inevitably, it goes wrong. The World Fair was secretly weaponized, covered in cannons which go and do what cannons are made for. It goes rogue, causes a terrible international incident and disappears into the clouds never to be seen again.

Stolen plot is stolen! D:

Patrick Stewart in a weaboo title

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah but to be fair Steamboy kind of sucked.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Part of me is like "Hamburgers for dinner... again? Bleh."

But another part of me is like "That looks like a goddamned delicious hamburger."

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love this thread, and all you guys, and the entire internet.

See, I always had to be super cynical about Bioshock 1 because it was so damned popular. All the little sheep sucking up to the dumbed-down console interface and gameplay. Blah blah blah.

Problem was, it was actually a pretty good game. Everything after the twist was crap, of course, but by and large...

But now y'all have made it super easy for me to like this trailer and start really looking forward to this game by vomiting your kotaku-esque, "IT'S BIOSHOCK IN THE SKY LOLOMGWTFLAME" word diarrhea all over this thread.

admanb on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    This is one of those situations where keeping the name really isn't worth it. Bioshock 2 didn't set the world alight and another sequel in an inexplicable flying city won't help. They could've at least changed it to alternateprefix-shock

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    marketing bro

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Otsego wrote: »

i agree. why be critical of anything when i can gleefully consume media without analysis

i'll ignore the strawman, but are you implying that critical analysis is going on here

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This is one of those situations where keeping the name really isn't worth it. Bioshock 2 didn't set the world alight and another sequel in an inexplicable flying city won't help. They could've at least changed it to alternateprefix-shock

Seems like a pretty minor gripe at the end of day, they wanted name recognition. And frankly I would be far more horrified if they called it something like Airshock.

EDIT: Video interview with Ken Levine

He talks about how the city is less devolved than Rapture, people aren't always going to instantly attack you, and the story isn't going to be run with people behind glass telling you stuff.

Babble on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah but to be fair Steamboy kind of sucked.

Yeah it was meh. It had two X-men for VA's though, and they did a great dub. Professor X was the grandpa and Rouge was the boy.

Come to think of it, Miazaki's dub work does not fuck around in any title.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh em gee X 200.

Also, I read James Bradley's Imperial Cruise a bit ago, and the bits in the OP re: setting and time are bringin' me back!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited August 2010

i'll ignore the strawman, but are you implying that critical analysis is going on here

keep your stupid shit out of this thread.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think they kept more than the name, which is what bothers me. The style seems not too big of a departure.

I would love another -shock. Spacecolonyshock, Alternatedimensionshock, basically any other kind of shock. I was even secretly hoping for System Shock 3. But this back-to-back Bioshock is exasperating.

Hoz on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

And yet some of us believe that there can be a middle ground.

Is that merely childish naivete? I say - no.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    >So what's different? Levine wasn't specific, but he did mention that, "you?re not going to be restricted to just the eight weapons of your radial." And instead of injecting your new Plasmid powers via a massive hypodermic needle, you drink a vile-looking potion. The powers you and your partner Elizabeth wield come with much more immediate consequences as well: After every increasingly tense encounter, Elizabeth looks weaker and weaker. She hacks and coughs on the floor, and her nose starts to bleed. Ken says, "This is a world where there are consequences. This is not a world where people toss around super powers that come without costs. We?re telling the story of real people caught in an unreal situation." And while that seems a lot less binary than the Little Sister conundrum in the first game, I don't doubt your own moral choices will play an important role in the game.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?pager.offset=1&cId=3180831&p=

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The prospect of more Bioshock does not seem like a negative one to me.

Of course, I'm apparently in the minority for liking Bioshock 2 so what do I know?

Lars on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    I love this thread, and all you guys, and the entire internet.

See, I always had to be super cynical about Bioshock 1 because it was so damned popular. All the little sheep sucking up to the dumbed-down console interface and gameplay. Blah blah blah.

Problem was, it was actually a pretty good game. Everything after the twist was crap, of course, but by and large...

But now y'all have made it super easy for me to like this trailer and start really looking forward to this game by vomiting your kotaku-esque, "IT'S BIOSHOCK IN THE SKY LOLOMGWTFLAME" word diarrhea all over this thread.

So basically you do the opposite of everyone else because you think that makes you look cool and discerning.
    :P

subedii on
  • Options
    OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    vsove wrote: »

I don't disagree with you.

I was just trying to point out his insistence that anyone saying anything negative about this is just trying to be "cool" or something.
    keep your stupid shit out of this thread.

Sorry mate. You're right this isn't the place for this.

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    I think they kept more than the name, which is what bothers me. The style seems not too big of a departure.

I would love another -shock. Spacecolonyshock, Alternatedimensionshock, basically any other kind of shock. I was even secretly hoping for System Shock 3. But this back-to-back Bioshock is exasperating.

With most game developers, they're living in a bubble they've developed in their studio. I'm sure they're pretty pumped to have a sequel for their game 3 years ago.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    The prospect of more Bioshock does not seem like a negative one to me.

Of course, I'm apparently in the minority for liking Bioshock 2 so what do I know?

Bioshock 2 failed to keep my interest when it crashed every five goddamn minutes.

I saw that as a negative.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So why are we getting another sequel for subpar bioshock and not a follow up to the astoundingly good system shock 2 again?

Color me not impressed. Might buy on huge discount but I'm still a touch salty about bioshock being, well, not a worthy successor to the system shock series gameplay wise AT ALL.

I had fallout new vegas preordered the second it went up on steam, because obsidian is at least attempting an UN-dumbing of the game from fallout 3. Call my cynical but Irrational was pretty adamant about hard removing anything from thier 'spiritual successor' that might get confused with RPG mechanics.

'Streamlining' is manager talk for 'better things than depth to spend dev time on'

This is not behavior I want to encourage with my spending money.

But hay, at least there will be new minigames. Everyone LOVES hacking and lockpicking minigames.

reddeath on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hoz wrote: »

System Shock 3 would be a terrible idea, in my opinion. How many times can SHODAN twirl her moustache, have her plans foiled and then get away before it's just totally ridiculous? There's not really any other backstory in the SS universe to justify reusing the setting without SHODAN, either.

EDIT:
    reddeath wrote:
    I had fallout new vegas preordered the second it went up on steam, because obsidian is at least attempting an UN-dumbing of the game from fallout 3. Call my cynical but Irrational was pretty adamant about hard removing anything from thier 'spiritual successor' that might get confused with RPG mechanics.

Minority opinion, but I thought SS2 was a terrible sequel to SS and Bioshock a somewhat better one. I felt the RPG mechanics were poorly thought out, and did more to limit the player at low levels than open up new gameplay at high levels. Both SS2 and Bioshock were a lot more linear in exploration than SS1, which was a shame.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm.. I really curious where the superpowers come from. Otherwise, it looks pretty bio-shocky to me. The new setting means I'll probably give it a whirl.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This thread is all edgy as hell.

Pretty trailer, and Bioshock was a well-written game (aside from "moral choices") in an interesting setting. The appearance of a Sky Big Daddy seems a little too much to me, but maybe the motif is too iconic to lose. If they break out of the aforementioned lightning + water = amazing + innovative and give the two protagonists an interesting gameplay dynamic, it could be pretty great.

I think I'd rather they lose the augmented mortal approach and just leave the magic to your companion. They could easily replicate powers with steampunk gadgetry, Tesla coil cannon etc. As it is, "drinking a vile potion" isn't that different than "injecting weird shit in your wrist," except less horrifying.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bioshock! But in the sky instead of in the sea! I never saw that coming!

Anyway, gotta give them credit for one thing. The trailer on the site doesn't use flash but uses mpeg4/ogg theora. To the future!

Well.. unless the browser isn't capable of either in which case it falls back to flash.

Also, I bet the surprise in this is you are andrew ryan.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hmm.. I really curious where the superpowers come from. Otherwise, it looks pretty bio-shocky to me. The new setting means I'll probably give it a whirl.

Hopefully, technology. And jars of bees.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm seeing a lot of pessimism, but I think this sounds fantastic.

Joystiq interview with Ken Levine revealed the game is being built on an entirely new, Unreal 3-based engine, and will contain 100% new assets.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the game sounds awesome. I really like the first Bioshock, and I'm actually working though the second right now.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Should have been called Skyshock, methinks.

Anywho, the Sky Daddies, (what little we see of them) seem to have a pretty cool design. Basically robots powered by organs from the looks of it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    vsove wrote: »

What says the man in Washington?

Echo on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Steam-Shock?

Dox the PI on
This discussion has been closed.