As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video game industry thread: this one's done.

1515253545557»

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Hope you guys liked Bioshock 2, cause Bioshock 3 was just announced.

I assume they went with Bioshock Infinite so as to distance themselves from 2K Marin's sequel.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Any announcement on location? because Rapture seems done with unless its a prequel.

LockeCole on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    and for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo to launch next-gen consoles in late 2010.

Am I reading this right? They expect all three to launch next gen consoles this year?

Honestly. I don't expect to hear anything about a new console for at least 2-3 years.

Dragkonias on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »

Any announcement on location? because Rapture seems done with unless its a prequel.

City that is also some kind of Death Star in the sky with some crazy American jingoists.

Couscous on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    I'm putting this here because IPs and such are video game industry related, kind of.

Quoting from Destructoid, who quoted from someplace:
    "We do already have more IPs than we can exploit," he tells Official PlayStation Magazine. "I doubt we're going to do another IP. It's scary to say it, but maybe not in the next decade even, because we want to support Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake -- and hopefully we can add Rage onto that -- and I don't want five teams here. Three is scary enough."

I would like to offer advice to any and all game developers who might be reading this here thread: Don't say "exploit", say "explore". It makes you seem less like a soulless, craven douche who's in it just for the money.

I'm almost certain he's not just in it for the money, but I'm more than willing to support Carmack and his rad rocketry work.
    Carmack lost any and all fire the moment he let Bethesda buy id, and put a kibosh on id's practice of doing source code releases. Carmack is (or was) a huge proponent of open source, and it kinda sucks to see him bowing to the man on this one.
    I got my fill of Rapture in #2, and that was the only reason I wanted more Bioshock at the time. Not excited for this announcement, unless they really bring something new to the table.

Undead Scottsman on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah. If they send you back to that dinky underwater city...meh.

That being said I don't know what else they could really do at this point.

Dragkonias on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah. If they send you back to that dinky underwater city...meh.

That being said I don't know what else they could really do at this point.

The trailer - www.whatisicarus.com - indicates you'll actually be in the air, rather than under water. Steampunkish city in the clouds? Why not!

Elvenshae on
    edited August 2010
    Not Rapture. A sky city called Columbia. Alternate reality.
    skyline.jpg
    BioShock Infinite is a first-person shooter currently in development at Irrational Games, the studio behind the original BioShock (which sold over 4 million units worldwide). Set in 1912, BioShock Infinite introduces an entirely new narrative and gameplay experience that lifts players out of the familiar confines of Rapture and rockets them to Columbia, an immense city in the sky.

Former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt has been sent to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned in Columbia since childhood. Booker develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. DeWitt must learn to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.

Like I said, distancing themselves from the sequel.

Automaticzen on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got my fill of Rapture in #2, and that was the only reason I wanted more Bioshock at the time. Not excited for this announcement, unless they really bring something new to the table.

Given that XCom seems to be exactly like Bioshock and that's an entirely different franchise, I'd say that's probably a big fat "no"

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited August 2010
    So basically Ico in a sky city?

Could be good I guess.

Dragkonias on
    edited August 2010
    Okay, I'm interested. Though it does reek of "What can we do that would top a city under the sea? I know! A flying city!"

Undead Scottsman on
    edited August 2010
    Ah how I long for the days when a 50's-era setting was still considered unique and original....

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Who is developing the new Xcom? Levine's team or the guys who did Bioshock 2?

Sheep on
    edited August 2010

Not sure, it's one of those two. Wiki is unhelpful as always.

If I was to guess I'd say it was the Bioshock 2 guys, since the original Bioshock guys are obviously working on Bioshock 3.

Warlock82 on
    edited August 2010

2k Marin, the guys who did Bioshock 2, are doing XCOM.

2K Boston/Irrational Games, the guys who did the first Bioshock, have apparently been toiling away on this. They have nothing to do with 2.

PR from Levine.
    Ken Levine, BioShock creator and creative director of Irrational Games, added: “But when it came to begin work on BioShock Infinite, we only had one rule: No sacred cows. This game is both true to what people love about the series and unafraid to question every assumption. In order to explore the floating city of Columbia, we needed an entirely new engine. To bring Elizabeth to life, we had to build brand-new animation and AI systems. To create wide-ranging indoor and outdoor firefights at 30,000 feet, we had to rethink, rebuild and expand the BioShock arsenal. The only thing gamers can be certain of is this: the rules of the BioShock universe are about to change."

Automaticzen on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yazhee once criticized Bioshock "This game IS System Shock 2." But he loves Bioshock. They could probably call this Bioshock 3 and it wouldn't make a difference. I guess they've decided to make Bioshock stick for the remainder of the franchise, rather than call the game Skyshock or something.

Totally fine by me. Bioshock is a great name.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hope Sony releases a gaming phone because of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/marcuspsp#p/u/4/sMKiYrxenL8

Couscous on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ok, '50's sckitzo tech set in an underwater city? Pretty fantastical, but they pulled it off well, so I lapped it up and didn't ask any questions.

City skyship in the same year that Red Dead Redemption took place in? Now you're pushing the limits of what my fragile mind can handle. Still though, I guess if anybody can pull it off, they can, probably. :)

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd like to play the new Bioshock. I barely made it anywhere in the second one since it felt like such a retread, but having the original team build a fresh experience with a new time period to use for setting the mood...seems like a great idea.

Dagrabbit on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    City skyship in the same year that Red Dead Redemption took place in?

Batman did it already.

Or well, not a city, but it was an airship. And I guess it was technically it was Jonah Hex. But it was on the Batman cartoon so there.

Henroid on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm reposting this from the Dwarf Fortress thread:
    Pete0r wrote: »
    I'm not the one to make new threads but people should know Some of your minions are unable to reach the treasure room

It may not be from Bullfrog, but it is Dungeon Keeper III in all but name. It even has the dungeon heart <3

Graphics over gamplay [strike]bitching[/strike] debate can now begin

PolloDiablo on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just viewed the Bioshock Infinite trailer, nice little fake out at the beginning with the Big Daddy and underwater scene.

The whole direction really reminded me of the first Bioshock trailer from so long ago.

Cade on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bioshock 3 really isn't that huge a surprise, didn't they say they planed for up to like a half dozen of them? The surprise is that they have their A team working on it.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm putting this here because IPs and such are video game industry related, kind of.

"We do already have more IPs than we can exploit," he tells Official PlayStation Magazine. "I doubt we're going to do another IP. It's scary to say it, but maybe not in the next decade even, because we want to support Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake -- and hopefully we can add Rage onto that -- and I don't want five teams here. Three is scary enough."

I would like to offer advice to any and all game developers who might be reading this here thread: Don't say "exploit", say "explore". It makes you seem less like a soulless, craven douche who's in it just for the money.

I'm almost certain he's not just in it for the money, but I'm more than willing to support Carmack and his rad rocketry work.
    Carmack lost any and all fire the moment he let Bethesda buy id, and put a kibosh on id's practice of doing source code releases. Carmack is (or was) a huge proponent of open source, and it kinda sucks to see him bowing to the man on this one.

If you've been watching the latest Quakecon Keynote the ZeniMax executives actually gave the ok for releasing the Wolfenstein Enemy Territory source code.

Tertiee on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm reposting this from the Dwarf Fortress thread:
    Pete0r wrote: »
    I'm not the one to make new threads but people should know Some of your minions are unable to reach the treasure room

It may not be from Bullfrog, but it is Dungeon Keeper III in all but name. It even has the dungeon heart <3

Graphics over gamplay [strike]bitching[/strike] debate can now begin

I am super excited about this. Kalypso handled Tropico 3 very well, I hope this turns out the same.

Less so about the new Bioshock, the first one was plenty for me.

Fats on
    edited August 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »

If you've been watching the latest Quakecon Keynote the ZeniMax executives actually gave the ok for releasing the Wolfenstein Enemy Territory source code.

...Wasn't that a freeware game who's source code has been available for ages? (It's a Quake 3 engine game..)

Undead Scottsman on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know I'm jumping the gun, but since I'm on vacation and mostly away from my computer on a day when the NPDs hit, I'd better make the new thread now.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=16139501#post16139501

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • bsej87bsej87 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm shocked and amazed that I've yet to read a single "lol New Andrew Ryan = Lando Calrissian" on any website with this story. I've lost my faith in The Internet's ability to shoe-horn Star Wars jokes into anything almost instantaneously.

bsej87 on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Why is this thread done. It still has 9 pages?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Why is this thread done. It still has 9 pages?

Literally two posts above yours.

TubularLuggage on