As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 8-11-10: Failure to Communicate

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Graphic Violence
Emerald Warriors #1 is pretty much Tomasi's GLC continued, and Pasarin really draws some good constructs:

glew1a.jpg

glew1b.jpg

glew1c.jpg

Guy Gardner to be vampire in X-Men #3.

TexiKen on

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And Thanos Imperative #3, someone picked a bouquet of whoopsie daisies:

ti3a.jpg

ti3b.jpg

For a 3rd issues it didn't drag like some other mini series, the event is shaping up to be on par with Annihilation.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are we even allowed to post beyond one panel on this forum anymore, or is that limited to the 'Awesome Moments' thread? Servo said ten pages was the cap once upon a time (which I comically misremembered as 'whole issue', because I'm old and stupid), Geebs is saying one panel (or one page at most).

I'm just seeking clarification.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Last time I was told it was no more than half an issue.

And booya, back bitches.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The new rule says one page max for the Awesome Moments thread.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How did Thanos come back after Annihilation?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oblivion chose Thanos as his new Avatar of Death.

He was in a cocoon the Universal Church of Truth thought was it's savior and then Thanos killed everyone on the Church planet.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Specifically, Thanos' body was found by Adam Warlock and placed inside a regenerative cocoon. Warlock uses the cocoons to evolve himself and come back to life, and he can apparently use them on other people too. That's why the church thought the cocoon contained him, since he'd used them before.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Generation Lost made me laugh very much.

Rocket Red is basically the Heavy from TF2 except SUPER COMMUNIST.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thor Mighty Avenger #3 is really worth picking up, because he beats up Hank Pym:

Loki made him think Ant Man is a Frost Giant, punching ensues

tma3a.jpg

Hank makes him snap out of it but Thor is still a bully and knocks him out, on train tracks!

tma3b.jpg

tma3c.jpg

This and Iron Man Legacy are actually very good books, worth a look if the current stories featuring Thor and Iron Man aren't really wowing you (with Thor it's not really true but Iron Man in Legacy is a lot better and is actually Iron Man compared to the current run in IIM).

And Booster Gold #35, someone could probably give Valeria Richards a run for her money when it comes to being a smartypants:

bg35a.jpg

And finally, Generations Lost #7 was again a very good issue, I think I'm going to stay with the book because Gavril steals scenes almost as good as USAgent:

jlgl7a.jpg

jlgl7b.jpg

jlgl7c.jpg

edit: Htown is down with the marxist fist bump.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I also liked this little exchange:
    Fire: Yeah, well, does it at least bother you that I'm trying to be the logical one and you're getting nostalgic?
    Ice: That's nothing. At some point while we've all been running around, I think Booster's become the team leader.
    Fire: OHMIGOD, you're right!
    Ice: I KNOW! What the hell, right?!
    :lol:

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Last page of UCSM was pretty epic I thought. And Hulk's role in UC Avengers holds promise...
    The vampires got to him it seems, and he killed Stick and the other vampires infected new DD.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    FLARK

Langly on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have to say Thanos Imperative 3 was really good, this continues to shape up as another really good cosmic event.

Also Emerald Warriors was a good solid start, that is one I'm definitely going to be following closely.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

ti3a.jpg

ti3b.jpg

For a 3rd issues it didn't drag like some other mini series, the event is shaping up to be on par with Annihilation.
    Calling it now:
    Not dead.

Whole point of the cancerverse is that death has been defeated. Thanos will be back.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Htown wrote: »

ti3a.jpg

ti3b.jpg

Calling it now:
    Not dead.

Whole point of the cancerverse is that death has been defeated. Thanos will be back.

Ofcourse he will be but there are 2 major consequences of this:
    1. As far as i have examined i can tell that coming from Death in Cancerverse is often causing some strange comebacks. So we may see a Cthulhu Thanos

2. When he comes back to life Thanos will probably be really pissed off. Not good news for Drax, or even rest of the team.

Dreamon on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    "Hey eggwhite! Guess... Guess what I just noticed? Both of your hands are occupied."

[tiny]Birds of Prey #4[/tiny]

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dreamon wrote: »

ti3a.jpg

ti3b.jpg

Calling it now:
    Not dead.

1. As far as i have examined i can tell that coming from Death in Cancerverse is often causing some strange comebacks. So we may see a Cthulhu Thanos

2. When he comes back to life Thanos will probably be really pissed off. Not good news for Drax, or even rest of the team.
    1 - I was under the impression Thanos was killed in the Cancerverse since they killed their avatar of death. History seemed to be the same up until Mar-Vell's death, so it would seem Thanos would still be about the same up until then, too.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    Dreamon wrote: »

ti3a.jpg

ti3b.jpg

Calling it now:
    Not dead.

1 - I was under the impression Thanos was killed in the Cancerverse since they killed their avatar of death. History seemed to be the same up until Mar-Vell's death, so it would seem Thanos would still be about the same up until then, too.
    I don't think Thanos (cancerverse version) was the avatar of death - if the timelines of the cancerverse universe approximates the timeline of the Marvel universe, then Thanos died in Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2 (turned to stone as a final fuck you by Adam Warlock, published in 1977). Captain Marvel didn't die until "The Death of Captain Marvel" GN, published in 1984).

Edit: And of course, Thanos wasn't resurrected in the Marvel Universe until SILVER SURFER #34 (1990). Kind of weird that Marvel let one of their better villains stay dead for 13 years - I guess it's a solid demonstration of how many awesome villains the MU has.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pretty obvious that Thanos
    Let Drax "kill" him as a way of getting to Sanctuary faster than the machine resistance could get him there. He was disintegrated. He'll just reconstitute at Sanctuary. Also Thanos once said that dying gets better every time.

Weaver on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think Thanos (cancerverse version) was the avatar of death - if the timelines of the cancerverse universe approximates the timeline of the Marvel universe, then Thanos died in Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2 (turned to stone as a final fuck you by Adam Warlock, published in 1977). Captain Marvel didn't die until "The Death of Captain Marvel" GN, published in 1984).

Edit: And of course, Thanos wasn't resurrected in the Marvel Universe until SILVER SURFER #34 (1990). Kind of weird that Marvel let one of their better villains stay dead for 13 years - I guess it's a solid demonstration of how many awesome villains the MU has.

I actually just got the hardcover of the rebirth of thanos which had all those Silver surfer issues, and the 2 part Thanos Quest mini that led up to Infinity Gauntlet. Awesome read.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Weaver wrote: »
    Pretty obvious that Thanos
    Let Drax "kill" him as a way of getting to Sanctuary faster than the machine resistance could get him there. He was disintegrated. He'll just reconstitute at Sanctuary. Also Thanos once said that dying gets better every time.

Hah, I hadn't even thought of that, but it makes perfect sense (and I suppose they hint at that with the reference to the previous issue's Defenders team.

I actually just got the hardcover of the rebirth of thanos which had all those Silver surfer issues, and the 2 part Thanos Quest mini that led up to Infinity Gauntlet. Awesome read.

Yeah, those issues are pretty much prime Jim Starlin material. Ron Lim (and Perez) did some nice art on those issues as well.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 13!
    ucs13.png

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alright ladies, I have your moment of the week right freaking here *points down*
    incrediblehulk611005.jpg
    incrediblehulk611006.jpg
    incrediblehulk611011.jpg
    incrediblehulk611021.jpg
    incrediblehulk611025.jpg
    incrediblehulk611026.jpg
    incrediblehulk611027.jpg
    incrediblehulk611028.jpg

In fact, if not for Red She Hulk this would be the best Hulk issue since the end of WWH

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alright ladies, I have your moment of the week right freaking here *points down*
    incrediblehulk611005.jpg
    incrediblehulk611006.jpg
    incrediblehulk611011.jpg
    incrediblehulk611021.jpg
    incrediblehulk611025.jpg
    incrediblehulk611026.jpg
    incrediblehulk611027.jpg
    incrediblehulk611028.jpg

In fact, if not for Red She Hulk this would be the best Hulk issue since the end of WWH

That was pretty fantastic, but I still don't care about the Fall of the/World War Hulks story. I will check out the next Greg Pak Incredible Hulks story and maybe Jeff Parkers Hulk issues.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think its a massive improvement simply because RedHulk wasn't in it PLUS, as a bonus, it was written without the intention of inciting a brain haemorrhage. It was fun to read and I thought the art was impressive to which makes a change for Hulk.

But yes, the arc itself can take a leap, I just want Banner back doing stuff again.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey now, I'm sure the Jeff Parker issues weren't terrible.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hadn't looked at that yet, but wow that is a great issue.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a way to read the recent Hulk stuff that allows you to bypass the crap and still have a coherent story?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Is there a way to read the recent Hulk stuff that allows you to bypass the crap and still have a coherent story?

I don't like Hulk. At all. But that was a good scene and if I could get Red Hulk and Red She Hulk out of the way I would be interested in Bruce trying to be a dad.

And I have to say, for two weeks in a row, there have been some very good books released by the publishers. The big exception is Superman #702 but everything else has been a nice treat compared to the last three months or so of bad stories filled with pointless gore, etc.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

You'd pretty much have to ignore the entire Fall of/World War Hulks issues. The "Incredible Hulk: Son of Banner" trade I do recommend however, as it has nothing to do with those stories. It collects Incredible Hulk #600-605 plus the Dark Reign: The List IH one-shot.

I'd also say it's safe to start reading both Hulk books right now since FotHs and WWHs are now over.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yes. Just get the newest issue.

Because thats the only chance you have of avoiding the chaff. Honestly the entire Rulk and the Gammettes arc is nothing to fret about missing, this issue is a remarkable, remarkable step up from what has been going on for 2 years or so.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, I just noticed that both Hulk #25 and 26 feature covers of Iron Man and Thor beating the shit out of Red Hulk. Fantastic.

DarkWarrior, please tell me Red Hulk got a power drop during WWHs.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Oh man, I just noticed that both Hulk #25 and 26 feature covers of Iron Man and Thor beating the shit out of Red Hulk. Fantastic.

DarkWarrior, please tell me Red Hulk got a power drop during WWHs.

I doubt it, he siphoned off gamma energy from Leader, Hulks return came from elsewhere. Short of a writer-guided power-restriction he is the same as ever. And so is Shrulk.

What Im most curious about is if it WWH HUlk is back permanently, because I can get on board that.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I am pretty sure you shouldn't be linking six pages.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I am pretty sure you shouldn't be linking six pages.

I think thats just for the Awesome moments thread, its hard to give a MOTW in one page.

EDIT: And its also posting images, thanks to my jailed status I can only link to them off site.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Every single part of GL: Emerald Warriors was chalked full of awesome. Guy Gardner is really busy being cool throughout the entire book and all, but, my MOTW has to go to the X-Force mini that they have going on right now, Sex & Violence, before they relaunch the book.

Basically the entire mini seems to consist of Wolverine and Domino killing boatloads of ninja and assassins and having rough, hot sex with eachother in their downtime. It's simple, but effective. If you're not keeping up with the monthly releases then I highly suggest buying the trade when it's released.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So wait, Jeff Parker writing Hulk (adjectiveless), will that be focusing on Red Hulk still? Because I still don't see a point of picking up a book about a character I loathe.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    From the previews it looks like Rulk is in Hulk and Hulk is in Incredible Hulk which I think has returned post Hercules-death. So perhaps you can follow IH?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Already follow IH, because I enjoy Pak's writing. I dunno, maybe I'll give Hulk a shot if I see it has some good moments in threads like this. I guess its not impossible for a different writer to make Rulk readable.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What I posted is from IH. If IH is going to feature Green Scar from now on and Rulk is elsewhere I can hopefully finally escape the spectre of Rulk and enjoy some good old fashioned Hulk stories

DarkWarrior on