As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Prince of Persia Announced for May '10, Returns to Sands of Time Storyline

• CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There already is a Prince of Persia trilogy for the PC, just for the record.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah but the don't play well (i.e. not at all for SoT) with controllers.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yes they do (at least the trilogy version does). They work just fine with the 360 gamepad and probably others (although I haven't tested).

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    I didn't say it wasn't stupid

But not releasing a 360 version for no real discernible reason qualifies as even more stupid

There's no way they could get all three games on one 360 disc, unlike blu-ray.
    Sure, they could just pack in three discs, but they'd proabably have bigger cost issues with it.
    Blu-ray makes all these last-gen compliations a lot easier for the PS3, just from a storage viewpoint.
    I'd like to see it on 360 (I still prefer the controller far more more to the PS3), but I'd understand if it didn't happen.

They did fit the games on 3 gamecube discs, so all three can fit within 5.2 gigs.

Also, cutting out extra FMVs like the making of stuff.

Getting the textures and FMVs up to HD quality would take up some extra space, though.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    I didn't say it wasn't stupid

But not releasing a 360 version for no real discernible reason qualifies as even more stupid

There's no way they could get all three games on one 360 disc, unlike blu-ray.
    Sure, they could just pack in three discs, but they'd proabably have bigger cost issues with it.
    Blu-ray makes all these last-gen compliations a lot easier for the PS3, just from a storage viewpoint.
    I'd like to see it on 360 (I still prefer the controller far more more to the PS3), but I'd understand if it didn't happen.

They did fit the games on 3 gamecube discs, so all three can fit within 5.2 gigs.

Also, cutting out extra FMVs like the making of stuff.

Getting the textures and FMVs up to HD quality would take up some extra space, though.

Do these type of collections usually see texture upgrades?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited August 2010
    Rakai wrote: »

Yes they do (at least the trilogy version does). They work just fine with the 360 gamepad and probably others (although I haven't tested).

I played them all with a keyboard, anyway :rotate:

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't get TT to install due to starforce. I'll be happy if they rerelease the games. I might finally finish WW

Lalabox on
    edited August 2010
    They removed starforce for the trilogy compilation.

Rakai on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    PoP '08 also had a taunt button. It's been scientifically proven that a taunt button makes a combat system 56.7% more rewarding.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    God, I could not stand SoT combat. Warping/spawning was the lamest mechanic ever. In WW, just throw a couple guys off a cliff, strangle the last guy, then get back to platforming.

Peccavi on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They removed starforce for the trilogy compilation.

That is the greatest news. Even if their current protection stuff is annoying, at least it didn't flip out and not let you play the game for no apparent reason, and make installing the game impossible.

Lalabox on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PoP '08 also had a taunt button. It's been scientifically proven that a taunt button makes a combat system 56.7% more rewarding.

Proven by AC2.

Kazaka on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »

Proven by AC2.

"Ugh I hate these awkward moments."

"It's a fight peso! So fight!" (I don't actually know what he's saying in italian there, it sounds like peso. Does anyone know the proper word? edit: I think it might be pezzo from pezzo di merda? just had a quick google fu)

"Come on, metal man!"

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fight Peso! sounds like it would be the best bikini-lady-hosted economics show on Telemundo. I would watch it.

Monger on
    edited August 2010
    I completely forgot my favourite "Oh come on! I can't be that good!"
    He usually says this when nobody is attacking him.

Taunts are the best. Every game should have taunts.

Morninglord on
    edited August 2010
    Batman sequel's going to have taunts.

If taunts were the next regenerating health, I'd be pretty stoked.

Monger on
    edited August 2010

Do you mean as the latest thing to get forced into every game ever, or that taunting should actually regenerate health? If it's the latter, it would be awesome.
    Could also make for some good comebacks from critical health:
    *with next to no life left* "Come on, not good enough to kill me properly?" *second wind!*

klemming on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Do you mean as the latest thing to get forced into every game ever, or that taunting should actually regenerate health? If it's the latter, it would be awesome.
    Could also make for some good comebacks from critical health:
    *with next to no life left* "Come on, not good enough to kill me properly?" *second wind!*

But it will have the Gears reloading mechanic, so if you fail you'll just say "Oh yeah? Well... your FACE!"

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I need some help with the sands of time trilogy on the PC; if anyone out there can help me.

I generally use my PS2 controller via usb adapter on my PC but this game doesn't recognize it at all.

I have xpadder but it's not very intutive so I'm curious if there's anyone around these parts who have a profile set up to use with a PS2 (or 3) controller with Xpadder for this game. Google didn't help, all the profiles were for 360 controllers.

EDIT: I worked out my own that's good enough. Nevermind.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok, so the PS3 collection is apparently Europe only. Anyone know a good import site I can use for a UK to US order? Never imported from Europe before.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    Ok, so the PS3 collection is apparently Europe only. Anyone know a good import site I can use for a UK to US order? Never imported from Europe before.

I'd suggest CDWOW but they haven't listed it yet. They've got free shipping so are a pretty good option. Otherwise, I'd suggest DVD Crave.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does anyone know why the new PoP classics trilogy is only set for European release?

I mean, it doesn't bother me given that I live in England, but it seems like an odd decision. The U.S. market is a massive gaming market, so that's a lot of potential profit that isn't being tapped.

I assume that it's something to do with licensing issues, but I haven't found anything on it. I was wondering if anyone out there knows the answer?

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited November 2010
    I'd guess it's more to do with scheduling, and they'll give it a US release sometime next year, after the Christmas Madness has died down.
    As it is, I don't expect it to sell too well over here on launch, 'cause there are way too many bigger names floating around, it's going to get lost in the crowd. I'm not arguing, but I think releasing in January or February would work better for them.

klemming on
    edited November 2010
    I have two guesses. The first is that the Prince of Persia's have tended to sell better in Europe, so they decided to forgo a US release. The second is that Ubisoft intend to release each seperately on XBLA and PSN after BG&E next year. I guess they could also release it in the US later on, sort of a reverse of the God of War Collection situation.

I assume everyone's seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1cMKVp9OA

People have been crapping on about how it looks but the only thing I think looks noticeably bad is the framerate. On the other hand, the textures are far better and the widescreen looks nice.

Pity it sounds like they ported the PS2 versions though but at least the PoP's were generally fairly even across all systems (outside of the originals packaged on the Xbox disc). If they do the same crap with the Splinter Cell Collection, I doubt many people will be going near it.

Unco-ordinated on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll find a decent retailer that will ship it internationally, hang on.

Edit:

You can get it for £21.54, and they charge £2.35 for international delivery. So £23.88 ~ $38.48 delivered

You need to use a coupon, and instruction on how to get one are linked here.

LewieP on
  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks like they did about as good a job as Santa Monica did on the GoW collection. This is going to be worth an import to me. At the worst case, it saves me having to track down my lost copies of the xbox games.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
    edited November 2010
    People have been crapping on about how it looks but the only thing I think looks noticeably bad is the framerate. On the other hand, the textures are far better and the widescreen looks nice.

Considering you can just buy the already superior PC versions and play them in HD (most likely cheaper at that), I'd say this is a pretty unoptimal package.

Cherrn on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There were serious issues with them and vista/w7, last I heard.

Is there anywhere to get them for not rapey prices on PC? Steam is asking 27 for all 3, which is a LOT.

SilkyNumNuts on
    edited November 2010
    There were serious issues with them and vista/w7, last I heard.

Is there anywhere to get them for not rapey prices on PC? Steam is asking 27 for all 3, which is a LOT.

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Persia-Sands-Time-Trilogy/dp/B001LKM0EW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1289663058&sr=8-13

$7 shipped, runs fine on 64-bit Win7. The trilogy release removed Starforce from Two Thrones as well as updated all 3 to ensure gamepad support (at least with a 360 controller). I haven't tested yet, but the games are also listed as supported with the universal widescreen patch (SoT/WW don't come with native support).

Rakai on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Should have mentioned, I'm in the UK. And that apparently isn't sold on amazon proper, so I'm guessing we didn't get a trilogy release?

SilkyNumNuts on
    edited November 2010
    They did make one for the UK (I own it), but evidently it isn't in production any longer, as there's just one copy available on Amazon. Oh well.

Cherrn on
    edited November 2010
    Should have mentioned, I'm in the UK. And that apparently isn't sold on amazon proper, so I'm guessing we didn't get a trilogy release?

Well, it's $15 from Amazon proper.

Edit: apparently the widescreen thing just cuts off the vertical image, no so true widescreen in SoT and WW.

Rakai on
    edited November 2010
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    Looks like they did about as good a job as Santa Monica did on the GoW collection. This is going to be worth an import to me. At the worst case, it saves me having to track down my lost copies of the xbox games.

Sony Santa Monica had no involvement in the GoW Collection, BluePoint Games (the developers of Blast Factor) were the ones that ported it over only like 4 or 5 months. And I wouldn't say the PoP Trilogy is as good as the job BluePoint did, since the GoW Collection ran at a steady 60fps, while the PoP Trilogy looks like it has a pretty variable one.

Unco-ordinated on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »

Considering you can just buy the already superior PC versions and play them in HD (most likely cheaper at that), I'd say this is a pretty unoptimal package.

No Trophies

UnbreakableVow on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    THe first game has issues with fog switched on and nvidia chipsets. Or maybe ATI. One of the two. YOu just get a fogged screen.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nvidia. It is rather a pain in the arse. Those awesome secret blue areas only look good with fog.

LaCabra on
    edited November 2010

No Trophies

Playing the PoP's on keyboard and mouse is not something that appeals to me, since it doesn't even support USB gamepads. Plus, the PC version doesn't have the same improved textures. Trophies are nice too.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited November 2010
    The trilogy release supports gamepads and the textures look nearly identical. The one thing the PC version lacks however is native widescreen support for SoT and WW.

Rakai on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The trilogy release supports gamepads and the textures look nearly identical. The one thing the PC version lacks however is native widescreen support for SoT and WW.

And Trophies

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010

No Trophies

Playing the PoP's on keyboard and mouse is not something that appeals to me, since it doesn't even support USB gamepads. Plus, the PC version doesn't have the same improved textures. Trophies are nice too.
    I don't have any experience with WW or TT on the PC, but SoT most certainly supports gamepads. The support isn't great, but it's there. BG&E is the one with no gamepad support.

This is like the 5th time in this thread I've had to clarify this.

Monger on