As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 8-11-10: Failure to Communicate

• Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What I posted is from IH. If IH is going to feature Green Scar from now on and Rulk is elsewhere I can hopefully finally escape the spectre of Rulk and enjoy some good old fashioned Hulk stories

This is what I'm hoping for too. Was so fucking upset with how Loeb reset Green Scar to Savage Hulk at the launch of his Hulk book.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2010
    Every single part of GL: Emerald Warriors was chalked full of awesome. Guy Gardner is really busy being cool throughout the entire book and all, but, my MOTW has to go to the X-Force mini that they have going on right now, Sex & Violence, before they relaunch the book.

Basically the entire mini seems to consist of Wolverine and Domino killing boatloads of ninja and assassins and having rough, hot sex with eachother in their downtime. It's simple, but effective. If you're not keeping up with the monthly releases then I highly suggest buying the trade when it's released.

It's stupid!

They literally just kill people, have sex, kill more people, and then have more sex

There is nothing else to it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How many issues is it? I thought it was only a one-shot.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2010
    three

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Theyve been revealing more and more of what Domino did to cause everyone to be after her. I think its doing a pretty great job of just putting DellOttos art through the paces and giving us a mindless action romp that has just enough story to get us from one great looking moment to the next.

KVW on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The fact that Hulk and Banner aren't the same person or mind as such makes those Hulk pages a little confusing to me. I'm not sure if confusing is even the right word. It's just odd.

Does Skaar have the same kind of dual psyche?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just read Fantastic Four issues 579-581 and man Hickman is a perfect fit for that book. I still need to read the 4 Kingdoms arc which my LCS only had one issue of.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    The fact that Hulk and Banner aren't the same person or mind as such makes those Hulk pages a little confusing to me. I'm not sure if confusing is even the right word. It's just odd.

nope skaar is the same all thetime

Furu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Furu wrote: »

Who was he talking about with regards to
    "He doesn't really know you does he? Tell him I'm done" and all that? I am curious.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

"He doesn't really know you does he? Tell him I'm done" and all that? I am curious.
    Skaar is referring to Banner. Banner thinks Hulk is a monster that needs to be stopped and trained Skaar to kill the Hulk whenever Banner eventually turned back into him (like int his issue). Skaar has never met Hulk, so believed the stories about how great and powerful he was during his time on Sakaar and everything Banner has said about him. Seeing Hulk save people, not really acting like he expected and all that is why he says what he did.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That begs the question
    How the hell is Hulk going to tell Banner that?

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That begs the question
    How the hell is Hulk going to tell Banner that?

Pull a Memento?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    X-force: sex and violence was very enjoyable. Light on plot but big on gorgeous art with a small side of humor and big dose of old fashioned ultra violence.

muninn on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010

Banner.

Banner was training Skaar to kill the Green Scar because Banner theorised that he could return following the events of that Rulk Army Arc. Banner thought he'd just go straight into destroy the world mode again.

Thus Skaar was saying Banner didn't really understand him at all, because of things like trying to spare the innocents in the parking garage or whatever it was because ultimately Green Scar isn't a monster.

And I think Skaar does have some dual personality, same memories perhaps but Skaar...I dont see him hugging Banner or anyone. Perhaps Skaar just makes his personality age appropriately in Hulk'd form.

And as Green Scar, Hulk and Banner seem to share memories easier because he did the same thing on Sakaar when Caiera wanted to see his true form. He changed back into Banner and Banner wasn't shocked or disorientated about what was going on at all despite never being in Banner form on Sakaar before.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aren't them Hulk boys going to be fighting Hiro Kala soon? (i probably spelled that wrong)

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know because he seems to have been relegated to the back of IH issues in short stories which is a shame.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The next arc is called Dark Son and it is indeed about the Hulks VS Hiro-Kala

Furu on
  • Options
    CJGCJG Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alright ladies, I have your moment of the week right freaking here *points down*
    In fact, if not for Red She Hulk this would be the best Hulk issue since the end of WWH

That was indeed awesome. I really liked the juxtaposition of Bruce's father and himself as father.

CJG on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Every single part of GL: Emerald Warriors was chalked full of awesome. Guy Gardner is really busy being cool throughout the entire book and all, but, my MOTW has to go to the X-Force mini that they have going on right now, Sex & Violence, before they relaunch the book.

Basically the entire mini seems to consist of Wolverine and Domino killing boatloads of ninja and assassins and having rough, hot sex with eachother in their downtime. It's simple, but effective. If you're not keeping up with the monthly releases then I highly suggest buying the trade when it's released.

It's stupid!

They literally just kill people, have sex, kill more people, and then have more sex

Keith, you got the facts right, but you're missing the point entirely. If I'm buying a book titled Sex & Violence with Wolverine on the cover, chances are I want to see sex and violence, violence and sex, and anything else is gravy

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Keith wrote: »

It's stupid!

Keith, you got the facts right, but you're missing the point entirely. If I'm buying a book titled Sex & Violence with Wolverine on the cover, chances are I want to see sex and violence, violence and sex, and anything else is gravy

Thank you!

This guy, he gets it.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Who would want to see Wolverine have sex? The guy is repugnant.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    He's got Zac Efron's body in that comic

he's completely smooth

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you see a sex scene between Domino and Wolverine and you're focusing on Wolverine, you're not reading it right.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    honestly it would've been better if Domino was all "wanna fuck" and Wolverine was like "nope don't care" and then just rubbed one out

just fuckin' jerked off for like six pages

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I always thought Robertson drew a real good Wolverine. Short, hairy, not that good looking. I'm not at home or I'd scan in some of his work from Wolverine Vol.3, especially issue 1. Not the largest pic but the best I could find without access to my issues
    wolverine244.jpg

iguanacus on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Over the course of a few issues, Booster Gold has gone from a comic I was ready to stop reading, to one of my favorite monthly superhero comics. This issue, like the last, has Booster, past-Beetle, past-Mister Miracle, and past-Big Barda teaming up to retrieve the Cliff Notes version of the Book of Destiny, from the mad ruler of a medieval fantasy realm. So you get cool stuff like Barda hurling Ted like a lawn dart at a demon, Scott making quips about his wife, and Booster being a bit of a stick in the mud. Interspersed are brief asides featuring Rip Hunter and Rani, a girl Booster rescued from a doomed world in the future, as well two Darkstars, who are trying to hunt down the aforementioned mad ruler, after he stole a weapon that hurls moons at planets.

And it's awesome.
    There's also the fact that this is probably my favorite interpretation of Ted Kord to show up in years. The dude comes off as smart, capable, and also kind of awkward and off-putting, which is really all I want out of an introverted billionaire super-scientist. And aside from all the cool, zany action stuff, there's actually a few really nice, somber moments. Giffen and DeMatteis are best remembered for their humor work, but those dudes could always write touching stuff too.

2ekulaw.jpg

30wt9g9.jpg

"--you would've brought future-me along with you!"

I really hope that this arc ends with Booster realizing he doesn't need to be so serious all the time, and that he can start enjoying himself again. I feel like that would be kind of a nice place to take the character, after over two years of him kind of moping around and generally having a crappy life.

Munch on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Booster and Ted are a really great duo to read about. I love series where some of the characters are really good friends, not just team-members or arguing all the time.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Astounding Wolf-Man #24
    eriywh.jpg
    I always love seeing the Capes crew and Damien Darkblood show up. Hopefully they don't all die terribly next issue.

Dungeons and Dragons #0; I mentioned it in the shipping thread, but this is a pretty cool book I had totally forgotten about, until I saw it on the shelf. The lead story's written by John Rogers (Blue Beetle) and drawn by Andrea Di Vito (Annihilation), and the Dark Sun back-up's by some novelist and a dude whose art style looks like a slightly more grounded Mike Oeming. At only $1, it's definitely worth checking out for any D&D or fantasy genre enthusiasts, or someone looking for something new. Rogers and Di Vito are both signed on to be the full time team for the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons book too, so that should be a great read when it comes out.
    259alao.jpg
    It's kind of generic, but I love some good elf/dwarf banter.

Justice League: Generation Lost #7; the new Rocket Red's officially been cemented as a great addition to the JLI team. I honestly can't read his dialogue without hearing the voice of Ronnie, from Frisky Dingo.
    2i8dnrq.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rocket Red is very clearly the Heavy Weapons Guy from TF2, but I digress

Antimatter on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    iguanacus wrote: »
    I always thought Robertson drew a real good Wolverine. Short, hairy, not that good looking. I'm not at home or I'd scan in some of his work from Wolverine Vol.3, especially issue 1. Not the largest pic but the best I could find without access to my issues
    wolverine244.jpg

That was a good Wolverine, because Robertson made him hunch because of the weight of his adamantium skeleton too.

Marvel made him change the character to be more attractive to fit with the movies, since X2 was coming out around that time. That's why around issue 3 or 4 of that series he goes from ugly to dashing.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't really know where to put this, but I guess my MOTW was a friend of mine from college emptied his comic collection and was selling all trades for 5 dollars. I got 1-4 of the Goon and 6-10 of the Sandman (which I had lost) for 50 bucks total.

I had never read the Goon but heard good things about it on here, and I'm glad I bought them. I think that humor is pretty difficult to execute well. I feel like his timing is a bit off in places but by the 3rd trade he really hits his stride and the 4th is excellent.

Langly on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    munch what issue did booster gold start getting good again

I might pick it up

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Start with #32. It's a little dreary, but establishes why Booster now has a kinda-sorta-daughter-niece now. It's only on #35 now, so luckily there's not much to pick up. You could really even start with #34 if you wanted to, as #32 and #33 are really just DeMatteis and Giffen setting up their new status quo.

Munch on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Justice League: Generation Lost #7; the new Rocket Red's officially been cemented as a great addition to the JLI team. I honestly can't read his dialogue without hearing the voice of Ronnie, from Frisky Dingo.

oh fuck. Now I hear it too. DAMN.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You're welcome.

Munch on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Dungeons and Dragons #0; I mentioned it in the shipping thread, but this is a pretty cool book I had totally forgotten about, until I saw it on the shelf. The lead story's written by John Rogers (Blue Beetle) and drawn by Andrea Di Vito (Annihilation), and the Dark Sun back-up's by some novelist and a dude whose art style looks like a slightly more grounded Mike Oeming. At only $1, it's definitely worth checking out for any D&D or fantasy genre enthusiasts, or someone looking for something new. Rogers and Di Vito are both signed on to be the full time team for the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons book too, so that should be a great read when it comes out.
    259alao.jpg
    It's kind of generic, but I love some good elf/dwarf banter.

Hm. See, I bought it, and came away really disappointed. "Generic" is exactly what I thought about it. I felt like it was a soulless, by-the-numbers fantasy story. Granted, it's an early preview, and only a few pages, but I didn't really see anything that would make me want to read the comic when it comes out for reals. The only thing that made me smile was the reference to the idol from the cover of the 1st Edition AD&D handbook. That was cute.

The Dark Sun story disappointed me just as much. Dark Sun is the setting I got into D&D with, so I'm super-invested in it, and I thought the story was also pretty bland. I'll admit that this might not be the comic's fault; I recently read the Prism Pentad for the first time, and was basically bored the whole time. So, maybe I'm just tired of Dark Sun fiction. There's certainly potential in "gladiator runs from the law and goes into the wild, bard tries to bring him back for the reward". I'm a little concerned that it's going to try to mix "serious business action" with "hilarious buddy comedy hijinx" and fail at both, but... well shit, I guess I shouldn't rail on the book before it's even out.

Nerd nerdrages over minutia, more at 11.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If I'd paid more than a dollar for it, I probably wouldn't have liked it. But the interviews in the back teasing future story developments will get me to check out the first issues of each, to see if it rises above the standard fantasy tropes.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    nerdiest page right here

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TLB do you want to read my Avengers/Forgotten Realms/Star Trek crossover fanfic? I have Molecule Man and the Crystal Shard as alternate-aspects of a rogue member of the Q Continuum, and Captain American has to team up with Drizzt Do'Urden and Captain Picard to stop him.

Cameo by Shocker.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I understood like

four words of that

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg