As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAXaoke?

MrBartokomousMrBartokomous Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
UPDATE! After a little discussion, we'll be going to Frances Farmer Organ Karaoke at 1508 11th Ave. for 8pm on Thursday (approx. 20 mins on foot from the convention center). They have a real organist while you sing! It ends at 11pm, at which point we'll likely head to the Crescent Tavern on Olive for more karaoke! Hope to see you there!

I'm a huge karaoke addict. I know it's not for everybody, but I'm thinking it might be cool to do a meetup either pre- or post-PAX at a karaoke bar in Seattle. There was a karaoke bar as a part of the Triwizard last year but being a crawl, I didn't end up spending as much time as I'd have liked there and I'm curious to see if there's anyone else who might be interested in sticking around there, or elsewhere, perhaps meeting people as they pass through.

Thoughts?

MrBartokomous on

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm in. :D

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rockband says I'm awesome on vocals. So yeah, you get to suffer for it!

I mean, count me in!

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • zannahzannah Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know this is kind of an old thread in the scheme of things, but I'm overwerked right now and haven't had a chance to visit the forums of late.

I didn't do the crawl last year so I don't know where they stopped that had karaoke. I used to go to Bush Garden for karaoke, but it's in the International District, which isn't walking distance from the convention centre.

However, there's also a karaoke box relatively close to the convention center where you can rent a private room for an hour or more if you're into that kind of thing. They have a great (and pretty current) selection of songs (English + Chinese + Japanese). Obviously, cost is probably more to rent a room than go to a bar, but you also get more singing in. :)http://www.sbkaraoke.com/ Downside is, you can't get a huge group in (although I think I saw a group of like 20 crammed in a room once)... but you can get 12-14 in most of the rooms without problem.

zannah on
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    zannah wrote: »
    I know this is kind of an old thread in the scheme of things, but I'm overwerked right now and haven't had a chance to visit the forums of late.

I didn't do the crawl last year so I don't know where they stopped that had karaoke. I used to go to Bush Garden for karaoke, but it's in the International District, which isn't walking distance from the convention centre.

However, there's also a karaoke box relatively close to the convention center where you can rent a private room for an hour or more if you're into that kind of thing. They have a great (and pretty current) selection of songs (English + Chinese + Japanese). Obviously, cost is probably more to rent a room than go to a bar, but you also get more singing in. :)http://www.sbkaraoke.com/ Downside is, you can't get a huge group in (although I think I saw a group of like 20 crammed in a room once)... but you can get 12-14 in most of the rooms without problem.

From the site you posted:
    FRIDAY - SUNDAY
    Up To 8 People $33.00
    More Than 8 People Additional $3.00 per person

To be honest, ~$4.13 an hour per person isn't bad, assuming it's 8 people exactly.

Edit: Looking through their English song list (that's all that's on their site) yeah, I am so in on this. Unfortunately, I have to clear it with Brian also--he's cool with Singstar at home but I don't know how he'd be about actual karaoke. Probably more into it at a private place than a bar, though.

Edit 2: I call dibs on almost all the Roxette. They even have Almost Unreal, the ONE Roxette song I REALLY want on SingStar that isn't available.

Edit 3: Frak this, I'm talking Brian into it one way or another. We'll be in town from Wednesday night through most of Monday (flying out just before midnight Monday night). Let me know when.

One Last Edit: Brian has given a pending approval of meeting up for this, provided he's allowed to sing Karma Chameleon. I'm tired of the song, but he does do it decently on Singstar, at least. I still haven't decided if that's good or bad.

BrennaCeDria on
  • MrBartokomousMrBartokomous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll be honest... I'm not a huge fan of the karaoke box thing. I find the sound quality on the files is often weak, and at least for me, half the fun is getting up in front of a sizable crowd.

There's a startup in Seattle that's basically foursquare for karaoke (you can check it out here) and when I reached out to them for recommendations, they suggested Hula Hula. It looks like it's about 20 minutes on foot from the convention center, but that's probably a $5-10 cab ride, which is negligible split a few ways. It is Tiki-themed and has a smoke machine, which may outrank the other considerations.

They kick off Thursday night at 9pm. How are people's schedules looking at this point?

MrBartokomous on
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd personally prefer the closer place, but we'll go with whatever the group decides. I can probably talk Brian into a place a little further away than SBK, but if it's not "private" I won't be able to get him to sing. I'll look at that Hula Hula place, as well as the rest of your link to see how to phrase it when I tell Brian, if someplace other than SBK is chosen. Also, Thursday is fine with me so far, I wasn't planning on doing the PPD or Tri-Wizard or anything. I will need to be hyped up on some caffeine, though, since I'm on Eastern Time and that's almost bedtime for me. :p

Edit: Actually, with that place so close to Seattle Center, Brian and I could probably monorail to SC, eat dinner somewhere around there, then head to Hula Hula if that's where everyone picks so yeah, that's workable for me! :)

BrennaCeDria on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Best Memory of the Pokecrawl was how it culminated at a kareoke joint in boston. You havent lived until you've seen the following:
    • Atlus Singing "Summer Loving"
    • Sweetums from the muppet show singing soul man
    • Me singing Tessie

ZeroHourHero on
  • ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Im down, but I cannot guarantee that women wont swoon and toss their panties on-stage to my rendition of "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves".

Men with ladies out there: Hide them.

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
    edited July 2010
    Shaddz wrote: »
    Im down, but I cannot guarantee that women wont swoon and toss their panties on-stage to my rendition of "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves".

Men with ladies out there: Hide them.

Well, what with all the Minions coming to PAX, don't be surprised at the influx of thrown panties. Just saying. Also... "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves?" Like, Cher? Haven't heard that one since Will and Grace. Oh Jack...

MJPM on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Best Memory of the Pokecrawl was how it culminated at a kareoke joint in boston. You havent lived until you've seen the following:
    • Me singing Tessie

And at one point a whole group took over the karaoke stage and belted out the Pokemon theme song.

Atlus Parker on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    • Me singing Tessie

And at one point a whole group took over the karaoke stage and belted out the Pokemon theme song.

Evidence of the act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy38s6zDxn0

Also sweetums IS A SOULMAN!

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Those are priceless moments, my friends.

Karaoke is totally something that should happen at Prime, and I want a piece of it! I can do Blondie, Queen, and Talking Heads rather well and know most New Wave and Hair Metal songs like the back 'o my hand.

Also would relish anything that requires getting super funky and/or freaky.

Twinkie on
    edited July 2010
    Those videos are fantastic. That's really the best thing about karaoke - it doesn't matter if you can sing, as long as you put on a hell of a performance it's awesome.

I'd mention what I'm singing but I have to keep it under wraps. In the past, it's been referred to as "The Karaoke WMD". I've already said too much.

MrBartokomous on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Those videos are fantastic. That's really the best thing about karaoke - it doesn't matter if you can sing, as long as you put on a hell of a performance it's awesome.

I'd mention what I'm singing but I have to keep it under wraps. In the past, it's been referred to as "The Karaoke WMD". I've already said too much.

you mean Sex Bomb?

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That.Was.A.Delight.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • niq24601niq24601 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Crescent Lounge on Capitol Hill is about a 12 minute walk. It's a gay bar, and a serious dive. But they have karaoke I think pretty much every day. It's an uphill there, downhill back. There are buses that will get you close for the trip up. As much as it possible for there to be "Karaoke Snobs" this may be that sort of place -- you might get booed if you get drunk and try to lead the crowed in "Livin' on a Prayer".

The Last Supper Club is 5-minute trip in the bus/rail tunnel (a short cab right past midnight) and has, in the past, held regular Rock Band nights. You could try to convince them to open the club on Wednesday or Thursday for PAX-oriented rock band.

The Waterwheel Lounge is a serious hike by car, but they have a running Rock Band night on Wednesday nights.

There are at least two Japanese-style karaoke joints that are close by. One is weak sauce -- the floor are just ridiculously sticky, and the music backing is all awful MIDIs. However many of the videos are these HILARIOUS japanese interpretations on the song. Still, not really worth it IOM.

I don't think any of the bars in the Westlake/Convention Ctr area do karaoke but I will keep looking around and post again here in a few days.

niq24601 on
    niq24601.jpg
    "gay" and "rape". You keep on using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    niq24601 wrote: »
    The Crescent Lounge on Capitol Hill is about a 12 minute walk. It's a gay bar, and a serious dive. But they have karaoke I think pretty much every day. It's an uphill there, downhill back. There are buses that will get you close for the trip up. As much as it possible for there to be "Karaoke Snobs" this may be that sort of place -- you might get booed if you get drunk and try to lead the crowed in "Livin' on a Prayer".

Hmm, dun like the sound of the snobbery bit, but the gayness and divey-ness (and positive Yelp reviews) I am in for.

Twinkie on
  • zannahzannah Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Crescent was recommended to me today when I was talking to someone about karaoke.

I've been to the Hula Hula for karaoke. It was okay, but the venue is small and the song book was okay, but not great (imo).

@MrBartokomous: I know everyone's moving away from the box idea, but I just wanted to mention: SBK's sound file quality on the current English songs are great; they buy Soundchoice/Top Hits Monthly discs quite frequently. Some of the older laserdisc songs/files are of the quality you speak, but overall, it's way less than I've seen at other places.

zannah on
    edited July 2010
    I believe I ended up at the Crescent last year near the end of the Pub Crawl. It was all right as I recall but not too big.

I'm partial to the big crowd performance side of things... that's my biggest opposition to a karaoke box. If folks want to do that, awesome, if others want to do a bar, that's great too. I'm just hoping to find some folks to inundate with my rendition of 99 Red Balloons.

Shit.

MrBartokomous on
  • jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm partial to the big crowd performance side of things... that's my biggest opposition to a karaoke box. If folks want to do that, awesome, if others want to do a bar, that's great too. I'm just hoping to find some folks to inundate with my rendition of 99 Red Balloons.

Same. What's the point of karaoke if not to forcefully invade the ear canals of the unsuspecting public with your massive musical stylings?

I'm in if it doesn't conflict with the pub crawl.

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
  • AccalonAccalon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Last year I (hazily) remember hitting a karaoke bar in lower Queen Anne called Ozzies. Huge place with 3 bars and at least 2 separate karaoke sections. Perfect for large groups. Only problem is it's at least a 40 minute walk or 10 min taxi ride.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ozzies-restaurant-and-lounge-seattle

Accalon on
    PAX 2007 Omegathon Champeen

*Proud member of the Photoshop Heroes*
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Accalon wrote: »
    Last year I (hazily) remember hitting a karaoke bar in lower Queen Anne called Ozzies. Huge place with 3 bars and at least 2 separate karaoke sections. Perfect for large groups. Only problem is it's at least a 40 minute walk or 10 min taxi ride.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ozzies-restaurant-and-lounge-seattle

That's the one DIMD dragged us to. Their prices were also outrageous.

Atlus Parker on
  • AccalonAccalon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's the one DIMD dragged us to. Their prices were also outrageous.
    Honestly, none of the Seattle bars are really reasonable. It's unfortunate it's so far from the con because the layout is perfect for a huge PAX crowd of drunken nerds.

Accalon on
    PAX 2007 Omegathon Champeen

*Proud member of the Photoshop Heroes*
    edited July 2010
    SmallLady wrote: »

you mean Sex Bomb?

You mean Sex Bob-omb?

MJPM on
  • DjTiggerDjTigger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well i think this could be fun

DjTigger on
  • agentmobiusagentmobius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd be down with song room/karaoke box stuff, but I've done performance stuff too. Seems like we're leaning the way of performance, so I'll go with that.

I'll ask a local friend who's really into karaoke for recommendations. If I get any unique answers, I'll let you folks know.

agentmobius on
    edited July 2010
    I'd be down with song room/karaoke box stuff, but I've done performance stuff too. Seems like we're leaning the way of performance, so I'll go with that.

I'll ask a local friend who's really into karaoke for recommendations. If I get any unique answers, I'll let you folks know.

Sounds good. I remember seeing a couple awesome* singers at the Crescent on last year's pub crawl, but the majority were iffy. Anywhere that people show up to kick ass and take names regardless of musical ability is the place I want to be.

*Awesome's not a measure of singing talent in karaoke, but of audience engagement and fun. I don't care if you and the guy liquoring you up can do a pitch-perfect rendition of Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock's Picture, but no one wants to hear that shit. If you can't sing but you can get the whole bar singing along, you're the person I want to see on stage, even if you forget half the words to Baby Got Back.

MrBartokomous on
  • jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    *clip* If you can't sing but you can get the whole bar singing along, you're the person I want to see on stage, even if you forget half the words to Baby Got Back.

+5 to awesome rating if it's the Richard Cheese version.

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jenelle wrote: »
    *clip* If you can't sing but you can get the whole bar singing along, you're the person I want to see on stage, even if you forget half the words to Baby Got Back.

Or "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails done in a William Shatner style send up.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited July 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    jenelle wrote: »

Or "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails done in a William Shatner style send up.

Closer has something like 24 measures of instrumental in the middle of it - perfect for a rousing rendition of "I'm On A Boat".

MrBartokomous on
  • TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So is this going to happen or no? I'd be interested in going, depending on when exactly it's going to happen.

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    On a similar note:

<-- Vocalist looking for Rock Band partners to get up on teh stage AT PAX.

I may be down for some PAXaoke too :)

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    edited August 2010
    Shit yes it will!

I know the thread had died off a little, but let's set a time/place.

Hula Hula kicks off their karaoke at 9pm. I'm planning on hitting the Pre-Wizarding Fish Fry from 6:30-7:30, but that may run a bit later... figure aim to get to Hula Hula around 8:30ish to grab good tables, chat, and then start rocking the roof off promptly at 9.

Sound good?

MrBartokomous on
  • TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    akjak wrote: »
    <-- Vocalist looking for Rock Band partners to get up on teh stage AT PAX.

Count me in. I can play drums, guitar or bass (and, perhaps, throw in a little BGV as necessary, depending on the song). Just tell me when and where. And don't conflict with anything else I want to do. ;)
    Shit yes it will!

I know the thread had died off a little, but let's set a time/place.

Hula Hula kicks off their karaoke at 9pm. I'm planning on hitting the Pre-Wizarding Fish Fry from 6:30-7:30, but that may run a bit later... figure aim to get to Hula Hula around 8:30ish to grab good tables, chat, and then start rocking the roof off promptly at 9.

Sound good?

I won't even get to Seattle until 9 PM... and that assumes that my flight isn't delayed... and there's at least one other thing I'm going to have to do that night. But as long as it runs late enough, I can be there as some point. :)

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • niq24601niq24601 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't know how you found Hula Hula but that's probably the best bet for conventioneers. No big hill, 1.3 M/25 mins, and you can take the SLUT+#8 bus on the way there if you don't want to walk.

niq24601 on
    niq24601.jpg
    "gay" and "rape". You keep on using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.
    edited August 2010
    There's a startup in Seattle called BarStar (http://playbarstar.com) that's kinda like Foursquare for Karaoke performances. I came across it a few months ago and have been using it ever since.

When I was looking for a good spot, I reached out to the developers of it and asked for a recommendation.

MrBartokomous on
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm a local and a huge karaoker! As a matter of fact, one of my favorite karaoke nights is the Thursday before PAX (every first and third Thursday at Vermillion Bar and Gallery).
    Frances Farmer Organ Karaoke
    It's strange and wonderful and got quite a good recommendation from the local paper that matters, The Stranger. And yeah, I'm the one they quote at the beginning of the article. Cause it is quite awesome.

I'll be there with a few friends. If any PAXers want to join, I'll make sure to display my badge.

Enigmas on
    3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    niq24601 wrote: »

I don't know where you get your information, but I've been going to the Crescent for years and have heard the bar happily singing along to "Livin' on a Prayer" on more than one occasion.
    Judgement isn't what the Crescent is about.

And yeah, not only do they have karaoke every night, they also have karaoke Sat and Sun starting at 2pm and the place is always sparse. I'm sure a PAX invasion would be welcome if anyone were up to it. If my love of FFOK wasn't so strong, I would definately pull for this place over Hula Hula.

Enigmas on
    3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • TitanTitan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not into Karaoke, AT ALL, but I have been to probably every place in this thread, with friends who do like it, and I can say that they are all cool places to check out. But as far as Karaoke goes the coolest in my opinion is Venus, has private karaoke rooms that fit 10 or so people, in the International district, like 2, 3 blocks tops from the light rail station.

There is no drinking in Venus, but there is a cool Japanese bar, Fort St. George, upstairs and is fun to run back and forth or even just prefunk at the bar before hand.

601 S King St
    Seattle, WA 98104
    Neighborhood: International District
    (206) 264-1779

Titan on
    edited August 2010
    Enigmas wrote: »
    I'm a local and a huge karaoker! As a matter of fact, one of my favorite karaoke nights is the Thursday before PAX (every first and third Thursday at Vermillion Bar and Gallery).
    Frances Farmer Organ Karaoke
    It's strange and wonderful and got quite a good recommendation from the local paper that matters, The Stranger. And yeah, I'm the one they quote at the beginning of the article. Cause it is quite awesome.

I'll be there with a few friends. If any PAXers want to join, I'll make sure to display my badge.

Holy hell - that actually looks incredible. I think I might introduce a poll to see what people think. Is it usually packed?

MrBartokomous on
This discussion has been closed.