As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Team Fortress 2]: Towering pillar of bad opinions about hats

1575859606163»

• Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well yeah you can't be the only engineer on defense as gunslinger, but if you already have 1-2 level 3's might as well make one a gunslinger

nothing beats the feeling of loading 180's into people, the shotgun is so awesome

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    ShyftedShyfted Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm only really familiar with sentry spots on payload maps. For CP it seems like a whole different thing. Although I guess now being able to move them make a difference.

RandomEngy wrote: »
    Offense: Frontier Justice, Pistol, Gunslinger
    Defense: FJ/Shotgun, Wrangler, Wrench

The whole point of mini sentries is that you spend half a second setting them up and they provide surprise damage and distraction while you use your pistol/shotgun/shotgun crits on some chumps. Wrangled mini-sentries make me cry.

Yet you didn't recommend a layout where I could wrangle a mini sentry... or are those supposed to be bad?

Teach me to be an engy in under 40 minutes!

Shyfted on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well in highlander's case we don't have the luxury of two engineers.

Boots did you set a new password yet?

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wrangled mini-sentries make me cry.

They can be surprisingly effective in the right situations. You're basically trading out the pistol to build up some revenge crits. Score a couple kills with the mini sentry, detonate it, and go wreck some dudes with your shotgun.

When it works, it's so much damn fun.

xzzy on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No I mean they are so awful they make me cry. When you wrangle a mini-sentry you are throwing away the advantage they give you: namely freeing you up not to be attached to your sentry and letting you shoot guys yourself.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rules like "never use a mini sentry on defense" or "never use kritz on defense" are dumb, use all the weapons until you get a feel for what you like and use those. Eventually you will become comfortable with all the weapons and will be able to determine what best suits your play style in different situations.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also personally I like using the regular shotty with the mini sentry. I just put it down to annoy people and then shoot them in the face like how I usually played battle engy before the update

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No I mean they are so awful they make me cry. When you wrangle a mini-sentry you are throwing away the advantage they give you: namely freeing you up not to be attached to your sentry and letting you shoot guys yourself.

they really are effective though when there is lots of open space and they can't make it to cover, because mini sentries are half as damaging but attack slightly faster than level 1's so in reality they do about 48 damage per second, doubled would be 96 with the wrangler

not to mention you just turned your mini sentry into a heavy.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, what I usually use is the regular shotgun along with the pistol and gunslinger. I probably would just use the regular wrench if the gunslinger didn't have that HP buff, even.

Whoever doesn't think the pistol is good is dumb. It's great to use at long range and you will never run out of ammo.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think I might try the gunslinger with FJ while mainly focusing on keeping the teleporter up so the heavy and slower classes can get to the battle faster.

This is from the perspective of a horrible fill in engy for highlander.

Shyfted on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So is there a pick-up game or not? I am on zissou all alone. Also I guess I will take charge of organising a second PA team since no one else seems to want to, PM me if you are interested.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    already organizing one in se dogg

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, I'm working on it psyck0. If you could start that would be brahsome

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As an engineer I personally think in a highlander scenario you can't afford to use minsentries on defense. You need all the stopping power you can get on payloads maps and attack/defend

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Guys I hate to be a cock all short notice and stuff, but I can't make it to practice tonight. Shit has come up.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Got my new (punier) CPU in the mail today, so hopefully tomorrow I will be back in play.

I realize that the Polycount Pack is only "soon", but still, I don't want to have any chance of missing it. :lol:

(Never change a working system, by the way. My computer was fine until I tried to make it better.)

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That practice went pretty well. Good work guys.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Please don't ever use me as an engy stand in.

Shyfted on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Noted

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's harder than it looks 8-)

edit: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=125860

tofu on