As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HAT] Thread

13»

• Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have a bowler hat

I wear it whenever I wear a suit

Does this make me a douche

I think I might be able to get away with it, because I'm English

Mr Bubbles on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    I have a bowler hat

Are you employed by a man named Goldfinger?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    I have a bowler hat

Are you employed by a man named Goldfinger?

You would not belive his maintainence costs

Mr Bubbles on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    what about pirate hats? on dogs?

HalloweenPetPirateClose.gif

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited November 2009
    or wearing dogs for hats?

nagi-noda-dog3-hair-hat.jpg

nagi-noda-dog-hair-hat.jpg

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone that puts a hat on a dog should be shot.

With a hat gun.

JustinSane07 on
    edited November 2009
    those were really more dog hair pieces than dog hats

this however, is a dog hat for sure:

dog_hat.jpg

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited November 2009
    Anyone that puts a hat on a dog should be shot.

With a hat gun.

behold:

6a00d83542d51e69e20115702ea88e970c-500wi

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited April 2010
    kentucky derby hat worn by skank-ass goose:

92016_paris-hiltons-kentucky-derby-hat-shopping-spree.jpg

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    Given the opportunity, I would have slept with her... before finding the love of my life, of course.

And wow, she really isn't selling that hat.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited April 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    Given the opportunity, I would have slept with her... before finding the love of my life, of course.

And wow, she really isn't selling that hat.

it is truly terrible. and ditto on your first point as well.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You're never fully dressed without a smile... but we know the truth...

Seriously. What happened here? Up until the mid sixties (I think) it seemed like every classy lady or gent was sure to be rocking a cap of sorts... then something terrible happened. We stopped wearing hats.

Now I happen to look damn fine in a trilby but there are plenty of other hats... the homburg, the panama, the fedora... the list goes on...

So I pose two questions... who dropped the classy ball? Where did our hats go?

Also, whats your favorite hat D&D?

Only basement dwellers wear Stetson hats. Usually with leather or suede jackets.

4471364675_ce443e863f_o.jpg

I wear an ushanka when it's cold.

mrt144 on
  • The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I do admit to being a sucker for a good ball cap, my current hat of choice being a 59Fifty Oakland A's on-field cap. However, unlike many with this sort of cap, I let mine get nice and worn-in and weathered. Heck, first thing I did when I got it, forgetting that they don't do wool caps anymore, is took a hot shower with it so it would pre-shrink to the shape of my head.

However, I'll NEVER buy a pre-torn baseball cap. I'll do my own wear and tear, thank you very much.

The Listener on
    edited April 2010
    I do admit to being a sucker for a good ball cap, my current hat of choice being a 59Fifty Oakland A's on-field cap. However, unlike many with this sort of cap, I let mine get nice and worn-in and weathered. Heck, first thing I did when I got it, forgetting that they don't do wool caps anymore, is took a hot shower with it so it would pre-shrink to the shape of my head.

However, I'll NEVER buy a pre-torn baseball cap. I'll do my own wear and tear, thank you very much.

Oakland A's fan in Michigan? WTF.

mrt144 on
  • The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Well, mostly because of two reasons: EVERYONE has Detroit logo hats, and I wanted something different, and I wanted a hat with distinctive coloring.

The Listener on
  • LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Well, mostly because of two reasons: EVERYONE has Detroit logo hats, and I wanted something different, and I wanted a hat with distinctive coloring.

How dare you! I love the classic old English D. It makes me feel like Magnum P.I.

LeTwig on
  • SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I enjoy hats. However, I only own two (they were both gifts) and they are both quite silly. One is a faux coonskin cap, the other is a hat in the color/shape of a Snorlax head. They are now my interchangable "Gaming hats". Nothing puts your opponent off like a silly hat.

Squirrelmob on
    edited April 2010
    LeTwig wrote: »

How dare you! I love the classic old English D. It makes me feel like Magnum P.I.

Not gonna lie, I have a Detroit Tiger's hat. That's cause I love ghettotech.

mrt144 on
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still see flatcaps being worn with reasonable frequency. I used to have a pork pie, but it got destroyed. I still have a bowler, but I only wear it rarely because it's so conspicuous. I also have a stick.

Edit: And a pocket watch.

Aroused Bull on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I used to have a Chullo for snow, but I lost the damn thing and it was good quality alpaca. Now I just have a hatkin for yard work, boats and hiking.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bowler_Hat.jpg
    4367881921_b14a76ebab_o.jpg

Look at these classy gents!
    Except the first guy. He is not so classy.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have a brown corduroy flat cap that my dad bought me for Christmas; my girlfriend is from Yorkshire and he wanted me to blend in.

It keeps my head warm and my hair dry, and I wear it with the peak forwards because I'm not a damn fashionista.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited August 2010
    this is a fedora

fedora.jpg

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited August 2010
    katy-perry-wearing-a-cute-panda-bobble-hat-and-you-can-bag-it-too-its-from-river-island.jpg
    katy perry in a panda hat

W020081226542320007476.jpg
    panda in a hat

tumblr_l73v01Hwyx1qzqvm2o1_500.jpg
    pandagator (no hat)

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I still believe hats are wonderful and feel sadden they have drop so far out of style. But I know better than to wear a hat when it is not appropriate. Of course if hats came back you have to make sure to have proper etiquette like taking it off indoors, during moments of silence and other appropriate moments. Also comb your hair even if you wear one.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited August 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I still believe hats are wonderful and feel sadden they have drop so far out of style. But I know better than to wear a hat when it is not appropriate. Of course if hats came back you have to make sure to have proper etiquette like taking it off indoors, during moments of silence and other appropriate moments. Also comb your hair even if you wear one.

should one carry a comb or something for when they take it off?

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I can see it being useful. Also a key is to have short hair and a style that is easy to fix or doesn't get messed up much by your hat. Long hair+nice hats are a no no. Long hair and a baseball cap is a hick. Unless you are a women, you should not have long hair when wearing a hat.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited August 2010

I can see it being useful. Also a key is to have short hair and a style that is easy to fix or doesn't get messed up much by your hat. Long hair+nice hats are a no no. Long hair and a baseball cap is a hick. Unless you are a women, you should not have long hair when wearing a hat.

there is of course an argument that unless you're a woman, you should not have long hair, but this is no place for that.

I'd say the stay-soft hair products have done wonders for being able to take off one's hat and continue with rocking good hair in whatever one was doing.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    this is a fedora
    fedora.jpg

Wish I could rock a fedora. There's this classy fella who rides train that I take to work that rocks a fedora, and at a slightly jaunty angle. He also has this mustache/goatee combo that looks like the one that Val Kilmer sported as Doc Holiday from Tombstone. I swear the first time I saw this guy I thought he stepped out of a time machine from the 30s or 40s.

Havelock on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2010
    I always love seeing the HAT thread crop up from time to time.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been wanting to get a panama or something similar because it's just way too damn hot in the summer to wear my fur felt fedora or wool hat. I guess I would have to pony up about $75 for a decent one, though.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been wanting to get a panama or something similar because it's just way too damn hot in the summer to wear my fur felt fedora or wool hat. I guess I would have to pony up about $75 for a decent one, though.

For summer hats, I've actually had some good experiences with just cheap trilbys from H&M. They're obviously not up to the standard of my felt fedora, but for literally a fraction of the price, they do the job.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would like a Kangol, but every size of Kangol I can find in stores is too small for me.

Does the XL size Kangol exist?

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't believe I've missed this thread before because I love hats. I'll often fashion hats out of cardboard boxes laying around the office just because they're approximately the right size.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
    edited August 2010
    I can't believe I've missed this thread before because I love hats. I'll often fashion hats out of cardboard boxes laying around the office just because they're approximately the right size.

cardboard-hat.jpg

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited September 2010
    honoring the first day of fall

dog-leaf-hat.jpg

thisisntwally on
    #someshit