As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol: Apparently now an Obsidian gossip thread

SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch*Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
My name is Michael Thorton, And I used to be a spy until...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMqQOtViJRQ
When you're burned, you have nothing. No cash, no credit, no job history.
You're stuck in whatever outfit they decide to dump you in

52520_orig.jpg

You do whatever work comes your way

art_15120_id_6.jpeg

You rely on anyone who's still talking to you

ScreenShot00014.jpg

A teenaged, mute bodyguard

250px-MinaTang.jpg

Your handler, who may or may not actually be doing some informing to some people about something...I guess?

1111949-t_alphaprotocol_sdcc09_walkthrtr_pt2_hd_235_large.jpg

Psychopaths too,

HECKYEEEEAH.gif

...if you're desperate

Bottom line, until you find out who burned you, you're not going anywhere

ScreenShot00008-1.jpg

Alternatively:
When you're Obsidan, you have nothing. No budget, no schedule, no respect.

You're stuck with whatever franchise they decide to dump you with:
A trigger happy jRPG studio

dungeon-siege-3-logo.jpg

A "friend" who undercut your offer for an old franchise

350px-Fallout_New_Vegas_logo.png

Family too,

KOTOR2Logo.jpg

....if you're desperate.

Bottom line, until you figure out who keeps burning your games, you're not going anywhere
SEEEGA.gif
Why michael thorton is a badass (hella spoilers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUydx57te9s

Ninja Snarl P is doing a Lets play of the game
Gameplay Hints:
1. Specialize, Specialize, Specialize- this is an RPG, while you can try using everything without any points in them, you'll have much more success when you actually use things you put points in.
2. Take your time- not only does waiting for your weapon to go into a critical hit mode make your shots nearly laser accurate, they also do significantly more damage. A headshot critical can take almost any enemy down in a single hit.
3. Don't like the minigames? Don't bother with them- 1 level of Sabotage (one of the cheapest skills at only 3 AP) allows you to bypass minigames with the press of a button (and an EMP grenade). Not only do you get the goodies behind the minigame, you even get the 25 XP as well!
4. Chain shot is probably the best tool against bosses. Really.
5. Having trouble with any of the bosses? Load the last safehouse save and reequip with better gear, or change zones and do a different mission to gain some more experience. You can always come back and fight them later
6. Having trouble with the end of the Moscow Embassy?
There's a sniper rifle on the roof by the 2nd level exit, takes down enemies with one hit
7. Having trouble with the 80s boss?
Run the heck away when you cokes up, he's in a mode similar to fury and does a lot of damage that's hard to avoid at melee range. He's slightly faster, but if you save your sprint (shift or A/X) for when he almost catches up, you can out run him. You can get Heck to spike his coke, doing a minor DoT effect. At the end of the coked up state, he crouches for a couple seconds, before throwing the flashbombs, which leaves him completely vulnerable, and is probably the best chance melee focused characters will get
8. Having trouble with the Taipei boss?
If you look carefully/ Use awareness, you can easily see where he is while hidden. It's also ridiculously easy to set up and lure him into a trap in the small corridor where you enter. There's also respawning ammo on either side there
9. Having trouble with the endgame boss in the tower?
There's a sniper rifle in the tower across from him, as well as a clear line of sight if you want to try using tranqs. Also, you have a line of sight on him from where you enter the area, where he can't throw the grenades at you

The Achievements

PC stuff:
System requirements
Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP® or Windows Vista®
Processor: 2.4+ GHZ Intel® or 2.0+ GHZ AMD™
Memory: 1 GB RAM (Windows XP®,) 2 GB RAM (Windows Vista®)
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce 6 series (6800GT or better,) ATI™ 1300XT series or greater (X1550, X1600 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements)
Hard Drive: At least 12 GB of free space
Sound Card: DirectX® 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers
DirectX®: 9.0c
DRM:
Tertiee wrote: »

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/05/01/alpha-protocol-pc-drm-details
Sega has posted the specifics of their DRM scheme for the PC version. I've pointed out a highlights if you don't feel like reading the wall of text.
  • Steam version does use this extra DRM
  • Can be installed on 5 unique machines at a time
  • Internet access is only needed for activation
  • Automatic activation returned if uninstalled while connected to internet
  • Manual deactivation service available if you do something like upgrade everything but your hard drive
  • If you don't have internet access you can download a file from a computer that does have access and transfer it to the other machine
  • Disc will not be needed to play
  • Patch will be available within 18-24 months to remove activation limits
Go here to deactivate old installations

Tips for dealing with stuttering:
There are 2 types of stuttering that have been really common: mouse movement stuttering, and level steaming stuttering.
First of all, even though it's obvious, try resetting your computer.

For the first type, using a controller reportedly stops it entirely. Also, disabling V-sync, either through ini editing or forcing it off through the video card settings, the in game settings don't always take. For the 2nd type, try ini edits to force it to load more stuff into memory, instead of streaming:
In APEngine.ini (C:\Users\username\Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config), change the following settings:

MinSmoothedFrameRate=20
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=30

UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false
OnlyStreamInTextures=true
OneFrameThreadLag=false
Also, if you have a hardware sound card, try the hint suggested here:http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=328787

The crouched animation bugging you that much?
This mod will add more frames to the transitional animations or something like that. Basically, it looks better, but you move noticeably slower. So probably make a backup before trying it:
Change these valors in APGame.ini (My Documents)

InteractDistance=250
CoverWalkSpeed=75.f
CoverRunSpeed=125.f
PlayerRotationSpeed=80000.0f
MoveSpeedNormal=240
MoveSpeedScoped=80
SprintSpeed=320

This should improve the animations and player speed. ;-)

steam_sig.png
Spoit on

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nice OP :)

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Excellent OP.

So, this game turned out 'okay, not great' but it's still worth a look, right? I'm nearing the end of what Red Dead has to offer and need something till the new Fallout comes along. If I keep my expectations reasonable I won't be burned by it?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That is an amazing OP Spoit, well done.

And yeah deowolf, the game's very much worth a look. It's a good game, just a bit flawed.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Depends, where you able to tolerate the gunplay in Deus Ex, or ME1 before getting spectre gear? If so, then it should be fine (as long as you don't do a silly goose thing like do hard for your first playthrough, and maybe save moscow as not the first hub you do).

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah now that I think about it I should have done Rome first even though moscow is your most solid lead to check out story wise. I'll have to do that next time. This time i'm gonna do everything i can to make that bastard stay in rome to fight me to the death (his preferably)

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well if you're gonna go Burn Notice in the OP, it probably needs the "Michael!" music video.

Anyway, someone in the last thread mentioned story over gameplay. I liked that there were a few missions in this game where you didn't shoot people, you manipulated them via conversation. To make it such a big deal in this game made that ice cream shop scene tense.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Dammit wrong thread.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The best way to do that is to get the extra -1 by choosing mostly non-professional choices overall, another -1 for being buddy buddy with SIE, and killing your way through the other missions in the hub before going to the first meeting. Also, get all the dossiers you can on him, the map of his mansion has a secret dossier pickup

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I've been a huge smart ass to him nonstop, SIE is all about me. I haven't killed through all the missions though except taking out the guy in the villa which he wasn't too happy about but I'm not sure if that's enough. I'll have to check how much of his dossier I have next time I launch the game. I have only one or two missions left before the hub end though.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know game reviewers. Bunch of bitchy little girls.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You know game reviewers. Bunch of bitchy little girls.

Which I had in the first thred, but was nodded away

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    While I really like the OP.... It also spoilers something which is one of the best plotstrings in the game. Hopefully nobody really notices it.

Also the "alternative" spoiler is genius.

Also didn't you have gamers as bitchy little girls? Shouldn't game reviewers be ok?

C2B on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    :^: OP, but like C2B said, there's a significant spoiler in it.
    deowolf wrote: »
    So, this game turned out 'okay, not great' but it's still worth a look, right? I'm nearing the end of what Red Dead has to offer and need something till the new Fallout comes along. If I keep my expectations reasonable I won't be burned by it?

Take chainshot no matter what build you're planning on. It greatly mitigates the very worst sections of the game.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That picture of Avellone makes him look like a total knob

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought the gameplay was actually really fun and the writing is decent enough. Just couldn't get into it myself a second time. Also the game doesn't really cater to many play styles by the end.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As someone who is still playing the game, I can easily see the spoiler. It's kinda obvious, but still.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited August 2010
    As someone who is still playing the game, I can easily see the spoiler. It's kinda obvious, but still.

Well, it's not the full spoiler so you can still be surprised though

Edit: Yeah, I shouldn't write in forums when I'm tired. Bad idea.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah but by telling me that I now know the REAL spoiler.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Anybody already seen this: ?

It's over a week old already, though.

clipboard01al.jpg

Matthew Perry's a cool dude.

C2B on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nice OP, and Psychopath Mike video for the win!

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Haha, that's awesome. For reference, he seems to have loved Fallout 3 so much, he got a role in Fallout: New Vegas.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I've been a huge smart ass to him nonstop, SIE is all about me. I haven't killed through all the missions though except taking out the guy in the villa which he wasn't too happy about but I'm not sure if that's enough. I'll have to check how much of his dossier I have next time I launch the game. I have only one or two missions left before the hub end though.

You know you can fight him to the death post-Rome as well, right? It's quite an interesting setup in its own right.
    In the endgame assuming you know Madison's secret and told the relevant person about it.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know, my first play was on Hard, AND I did Moscow first. Still managed to beat the game. It was one of my crowning moments of awesome, being able to finish the game pretty much without knowing anything about it, on the highest difficulty, straight out the gate. And it was hard. Dear Jesus, was it hard. The Brayko fight was uncompromisingly brutal, almost controller breakingly so, but after adjusting my play style to suit my weapon specializations, it got a little better. But seriously, if you didn't end the boss fights in the 5-8 seconds after they started, you didn't end them.

They did.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »

You know you can fight him to the death post-Rome as well, right? It's quite an interesting setup in its own right.
    In the endgame assuming you know Madison's secret and told the relevant person about it.

interesting. I personally know the secret but i'm not sure if i know it this playthrough. I like how there's still so much crap in this game I haven't personally encountered even after almost 2 playthroughs

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    UmmiUmmi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know, my first play was on Hard, AND I did Moscow first. Still managed to beat the game. It was one of my crowning moments of awesome, being able to finish the game pretty much without knowing anything about it, on the highest difficulty, straight out the gate. And it was hard. Dear Jesus, was it hard. The Brayko fight was uncompromisingly brutal, almost controller breakingly so, but after adjusting my play style to suit my weapon specializations, it got a little better. But seriously, if you didn't end the boss fights in the 5-8 seconds after they started, you didn't end them.

They did.

I chose recruit and hard on my first(and only) playthrough. Everything else was reasonably difficult but that cokehead almost drove me to drugs too.
    I did NOT spare his life after the fight.

Ummi on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Goddammit fuck this game and this thread

I'm tired and my eyes played tricks on me and you made me think they'd announced a Burn Notice game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Haha, that's awesome. For reference, he seems to have loved Fallout 3 so much, he got a role in Fallout: New Vegas.

Didn't he strain his fingers too much playing it? Anyway, it's cool stuff. Obsidian probably gave him a copy of AP after he was done with Voice Acting. :P

C2B on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    C2B wrote: »

Didn't he strain his fingers too much playing it? Anyway, it's cool stuff. Obsidian probably gave him a copy of AP after he was done with Voice Acting. :P

He played so much he had to have wrist surgery to correct his carpal tunnel.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also for everyone who needs a walkthrough/faq. Gamebanshee has dedicated a pretty detailed section to it. Complete with dossiers and an equipment database:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/alphaprotocol/

C2B on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Best thread title and OP ever.

urahonky on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The psychopath video should probably come with a plot spoilers warning.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    subedii wrote: »

It says (spoilers) right before it?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Holy crap, the dialogue for

In Rome final mission
    Taunting Marburg to get him to stay and fight to the death after he shoots madison in the back is absolutely amazing.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »

It says (spoilers) right before it?

I meant in actual spoiler tags, but I guess the brackets work too.
    I didn't notice the brackets

subedii on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, that part in Rome was really cool once you figure out how to do it. Even better is dealing with Marburg later on
    by turning Parker on him in the endgame.

You've got this amoral genius-level analyst, wholly committed to the cause, he knows the people he's working for are acting like complete monsters, and then you drop a certain secret fact on him and he gets this perfect what-the-fuck-have-I-done expression. Sheer, utter disbelief that the only thing that mattered to him besides the project is now gone, and he's got nothing to pin it on except the project... and Marburg.

That moment is just brilliant.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I tried to pull that card on him this time but all he did was get super pissed off, flashbang the room and sound an alarm.
    possibly because i'd already killed marburg in Rome.

The other way to deal with Parker that I really liked was using the dossier on him and convincing him to help you. I was able to do it my first run through but i couldn't do it this time... possibly because of bringing up his dead daughter.

EDIT: Holy hell veteran gives you a ton of points off the bat. always on awareness breaks the early game stealth wise

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've beaten the game a few times, and got curious about this endgame Marburg dealie, so I checked out the information on how to get the relevant dossiers and their secret facts. On multiple attempts now, when I pick up certain dossiers on the list, the % does not increase. The last one that's supposed to give me the secret fact only puts me to 100% instead. Has anyone else had this problem?

Szechuan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Goddamn, they weren't kidding when they said EndGame.

edit: Now that I'm close enough to the end to watch the Psychopath video, I am damn impressed with the dialogue you can give when you aren't trying to remain professional at all times.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So this went cheap on Play, and I bought it, finally.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    are there any more fun veteran touches like the momentary "hallucination" in the intro? Because that was hilarious

initiatefailure on