As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Borderlands: That thread is our last hope. No, there is another.

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So nice tip for people who've played this game just about enough fucking times:

Grab a high-value epic or legendary from Crawmerax, and drop one each for new characters you start. At the point where you get access to the med vendor, selling something worth over $5 million will get you 3 levels or so, from completing challenges.

Then the awkward stages of Skag Gully are much less of an issue. No more +3 level badasses.

Though, honestly, this game needs a damn hard mode. More enemies, higher level enemies, just not +3 bullshit, and with rewards that justify it.

Also, to whoever said that more skillpoints would make enemies too easy if the enemies weren't higher level... are you under the impression that all enemies of a given level have identical stats? That, say, Devastators have exactly the same damage output at level X as Lance Marines? Cause that's what it's sounding like you think. They can, indeed, tweak the new DLC enemies to be harder to adjust for increased player power.

Though that's kind of a moot point given that it's a pathetic 2 more points. There goes much of my excitement for the DLC :(

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Honestly, I could care less about 2 skill points.

Gives me new geers!

And more mans to shoot.

(and fast travel)

Ender on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does anyone have any links to some suggested Lilith Leveling builds? I'm level 19 and I'm not sure what I should be putting points into.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Does anyone have any links to some suggested Lilith Leveling builds? I'm level 19 and I'm not sure what I should be putting points into.

Well that depends.

Do you want to be awesome and kill stuff really well, or do you want to be awesome and basically unkillable under normal circumstances?

For killing, get Slayer, Hit & Run, and Quicksilver, then you can move on to things like High Velocity, Phase Strike if you fancy it, and then move on to defensive abilities.

For being invulnerable, make a beeline down the Controller tree. Diva, Inner Glow, some Hard to get and some Girl Power, and then Mind Games. Once you have 5/5 Mind Games, basically anything you're shooting at becomes an adorable joke.

After doing one of these, do the other, and you have basically the standard mid-level Mercenary build that will make you feel all kinds of overpowered.

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21505032550000005005500 At 45, or so. Good places for points after that are Blackout, more girl power/hard to get, and spark.

Kainy on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kainy wrote: »

Well that depends.

Do you want to be awesome and kill stuff really well, or do you want to be awesome and basically unkillable under normal circumstances?

For killing, get Slayer, Hit & Run, and Quicksilver, then you can move on to things like High Velocity, Phase Strike if you fancy it, and then move on to defensive abilities.

For being invulnerable, make a beeline down the Controller tree. Diva, Inner Glow, some Hard to get and some Girl Power, and then Mind Games. Once you have 5/5 Mind Games, basically anything you're shooting at becomes an adorable joke.

After doing one of these, do the other, and you have basically the standard mid-level Mercenary build that will make you feel all kinds of overpowered.

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21505032550000005005500 At 45, or so. Good places for points after that are Blackout, more girl power/hard to get, and spark.

Good advice, although you don't really need to get 5/5 in Mind Games right away unless you find yourself using low ROF weapons. If you are SMGing it up, 2/5 or 3/5 is plenty to put daze on somebody.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21505055550000005505550

That's the build I use for my siren, one discretionary point to put wherever.

Get a shield that has a fast recharge, more important than a high capacity.

If you get in trouble, Phasewalk. You'll regen full shields and health during the walk, and when you come out you damage everyone and get 70% damage reduction.

Shoot things in the face. Giggle.

I find that as long as your SMG doesn't have a scope, the easiest way to use it is to sight down all the time. It fixes some of the accuracy problems with SMG's.

Ender on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So after reinstalling Borderlands and losing my lvl 56 sniper not only does the game still run like ass, it also doesn't have working achievements. Joy.

I deleted everything before reinstalling it so I can't understand why the cheevos won't work?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Achievements don't work from a lot of people. I'm about to fight Knoxx but apparently I have never been to skag gully.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nuka wrote: »
    Achievements don't work from a lot of people. I'm about to fight Knoxx but apparently I have never been to skag gully.

Not all of the achievements are retroactive. The ones for visiting areas are among them. They should be awarded the first time you enter the area, regardless of character.

Peewi on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't suppose anyone wants to play later with a new character?

Redownloaded after installing a new HD and wanna play some coop. Only finished it first time round in singleplayer.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Redownloaded after installing a new HD and wanna play some coop. Only finished it first time round in singleplayer.

Can I play with you if I have a non-Steam copy? If so, perhaps!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pretty sure you can as it's based on Gamespy rather than steamworks.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Me! I do! :P

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gonna start up a game, GSID is mark_sloan.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Sorry, missed you -- sent a friend invite, though. jericho89.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks to the new DLC announcement, I've picked up my very early 2nd playthrough.

This game is still good. Why did I ever stop playing?

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    lillith is amazingly good fun. A completely different play style to mord.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was surprised by how fun playing a melee assassin Lillith is. Gonna be a bandit's worst nightmare once I get the points to head down the Controller tree.

Mars on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mahnmut wrote: »

Sorry, missed you -- sent a friend invite, though. jericho89.

No probs, gonna be on again tonight a little later.

All you other nerds join too.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    what level?

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Got to 8 solo, but up for starting another char if anyone else is.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Please add me to OP, I play on the ps3, ID is same as forum name.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I finished my first play through and I....uh.....wha?
    Vault = giant tentacle rape vagina monster?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »

it's biting social commentary.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So Knoxx music... so fantastic.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fortunately, it's easy if you can keep shooting it in the clito...er...eyeball.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm online right now trying to beat Moxxi by myself. Anybody want to lend a hand? I can't get past the second round as a 51 Mordecai. It's just fucking impossible to solo. Some of these enemies kill you in one hit which is god damn frustrating when dying sends you alllllllll the way back to round 1 and you have to complete 25 of them. What the shit were they thinking?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fortunately, it's easy if you can keep shooting it in the clito...er...eyeball.
    you were closer with the clit remark; the eye isn't the crit point, the chick it impaled/possessed was.

Very disappointing ending compared to the rest of the game. And that's hard to do when the story is basically just "go there, kill some mans, free shit WOO!!!!".

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When you get to the long games it's 100 waves. I'm not convinced that they were thinking at all when designing Mad Moxxi's Underdome.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    josh, are you doing 5 rounders or 20s? I'd be up for helping with 5s.

Also, friends, I have an announcement to make. General Knoxx is dead, killed by a former Vault hunter this morning for, quote, "Being in between me and loot."

Let us remember him as we knew him while he lived - rapidly dying due to a pile of crits.

ScreenShot00008.png

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    By the way I'm on 360. Josu Ruckeru is the gamertag. Just message me on here or there if you're interested in trying to prevent me from getting an aneurysm.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kainy, I'm doing 5 rounders. I didn't know they had 20 rounders. What the shit.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well fuck. I'm on PC. I'd help, but, you know, can't. :(

That also explains how you can find the early rounds of Moxxi hard, haha. On PC, with real people controls, it doesn't really get hard until like 10+, depending on gear.

Speaking of real people controls, how does one rebind the fucking screenshot key? F8 is NOT a convenient key. Knoxx had to die something like 3 times for me to get a screenshot with enough crits. I'd like it to be either Z or middle mouse button, but going into willowinput.ini and switching "F8" to "Z" or "MiddleMouseButton" hasn't done squat.

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, there's also the fact that everything is level 51

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    But... so are you!

You need a survivable build for Moxxi, and good guns and a shield. You need health regen skills, basically, and I can't imagine going through the main campaign without them, especially by that level.

Admittedly, doing the 5 rounders was a lot tougher on my Soldier than on my Siren, but still doable. You might need to break your build in half and reform it as something stronger, better, but that's kind of the point of Moxxi. It's a crucible for builds.

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    There's a couple of tricks I've learned taking Mord through Moxxi.

1. Use the terrain to your advantage. Especially in the horde wave, they don't jump, so jumping over walls and down cliffs is a great way to get a breather. The gully is the easiest in this regard, since you can port up and down to force them to run the long way to get to you.

2. Get used to using your radar to plan your attack. Try to face them as few at a time as possible. Use the radar to set up your plan of attack.

3. Don't be afraid to cower under cover to allow your shields to regen. With no shield regen skill, and no damage reduction skills, you're relying on it to be up.

4. Get a defiler. Seriously. It will kill 99% of the baddies in Moxxi. Even better, you can pop them a couple times then hide, and let the caustic damage do the rest.

Ender on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    moxxi isn't even that difficult until the later waves in a 20 rounder

spastic + naked + extra accurate + badass = OH GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so in playthrough 2 with my hunter I picked up what I assumed to be a pretty good Firehawk and decided to give it the old college try when I started Knoxx

I was not terribly impressed; it was alright but did not quite live up to my expectations

fast forward to now, when I picked up a 4.5 fire rate Firehawk with my siren from Craw (the one I'd tried was 2.5)

dear lord does that extra 2 fire rate make a difference

now I get why people like this gun

edit: incidentally I am trying out a possibly ridiculous build for the hunter:

having been burned by his poor defense lately, I've decided to roll with it and stack health regen; Survivor mod, Riotous Remedy, and a quick regen shield

it's actually working out okay so far

edit: edit: on second thought maybe I should give the Troll a whirl, too

Elendil on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Random Question, I just hit level 30 on my first play through and I've seen purple ammo capacity upgrades, do the ammo cap upgrades go to orange?

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, in T-Bone Junction and some of the late ammo vendors, they'll sell the orange upgrades.

And I've had a lot of luck with my hunter just running the health regen on kill, health regen on bloodwing, and the lowered cooldown on bloodwing, leaving me the ignore shields and a couple points in the bottom of gunslinger.

Don't usually have too much of a problem that way.

And I haven't had a lot of luck with Firehawks. They just don't seem to perform as well as a straight fire modded revolver. Maybe I just haven't found the right one.

My siren though...you can pry her Hellfire out of her cold dead hands. Which you will never get the chance to, since she never dies.

Ender on