As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tears of a [chat]ter

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    driving down to michigan for the fights was funny because there would always be five of us crammed into a car, and none of us were small dudes

we were driving through redford and some dude cut us off for no good fucking reason on a not even busy road

so kyle blares on the horn. dude in front of us slams on the breaks, and him and his buddy get out of his car. he's this skinny white trash shitbag in an oversized t-shirt, and his hombre is some other little weasly fuck

so our clown car of pissed off amateur fighters empties out and they're like "oh jesus" and get in their car and speed off

hahhaha, you weren't expecting that, were you chucklefucks

we had a good laugh about that

what is it about hick towns and those sort of ratty looking skinny dudes who are in their twenties but have the giant ears and noses of men twice their age.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    haha, poor boris

no one likes his corny ass

he is like sherman from american pie

CHAIR

Elendil on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Home Improvement lied to me about Detroit. Just like Boy Meets World lied to me about Philadelphia.

They only looked good because the families were well off.

Sarksus on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    haha, poor boris

no one likes his corny ass

he is like sherman from american pie

Now the hunter has become the hunted.

So what's the password?

I'll give you a hint: you sit on it, but you don't take it with you.

American slugheads, I SPIKE THEM!

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    What games do the kids these days blow each other over?
    and where can I get one
    This part was inplied

implied

or implode?

think about it

Elendil on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    i read books (almost exclusively) that are recommended to me or that i hear are good. i think this fashion accessory thing might be true of some people but isn't really some litmus test you can use.

Organichu on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    man i remember those days fondly, i had a gameshark pro and i was all up on the internet at school, printing gameshark codes

not to have infinite health or whatever

but to hack the game and find cut content hidden in the game code and access the debugging menu and shit like that

i thought that stuff was totally awesome. we found a way using gameshark codes to make our own custom characters, by swapping the heads and bodies of different characters

so we'd all go over to one person's place and i'd bring my gameshark with the codes saved on it and we'd load up the game and people would play their custom dudes

Pony on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    ... but there are some damn good books reviewed on NPR...

Yeah but I can't respect secondhand taste.

like, I am not going to judge someone for having "bad" books on their shelf if that shelf says to me "I am an authentic person who really authentically likes 70's Frederick Forsyth thrillers." That is a shelf of books that were bought by a human. A shelf of like nothing but like Ira Glass and Dave Eggers and The Perks of Being a Wallflower says "I am a fashion accessory."

What if they're genuinely really into Dave Eggers?

sure, if they have everything he wrote and like back issues of McSweeney's in the bathroom or something. pr a signed first edition. something that says that there is a genuine love there.

but even so, a real shelf of books collected by a real person will, in practice, almost always have other random things mixed in. a beat up sci fi paperback, or hermann hesse, or PD Ouspenski new age meditation stuff, or those old lady books about cats who solve mysteries, or Time Life's World War I or something - the key is that it's something they clearly sought out rather than heard about on the drive home. because seeking things out is to me the defining characteristic of a book lover rather than someone who just wants to keep up appearances.

check the spines for wear

I worked for four years at an antique/rare bookstore, so I actually do that automatically

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    man i remember those days fondly, i had a gameshark pro and i was all up on the internet at school, printing gameshark codes

but to hack the game and find cut content hidden in the game code and access the debugging menu and shit like that

i thought that stuff was totally awesome. we found a way using gameshark codes to make our own custom characters, by swapping the heads and bodies of different characters

so we'd all go over to one person's place and i'd bring my gameshark with the codes saved on it and we'd load up the game and people would play their custom dudes

the other game that gameshark was fun to use with was ocarina of time

James on
    edited August 2010
    driving down to michigan for the fights was funny because there would always be five of us crammed into a car, and none of us were small dudes

we were driving through redford and some dude cut us off for no good fucking reason on a not even busy road

so kyle blares on the horn. dude in front of us slams on the breaks, and him and his buddy get out of his car. he's this skinny white trash shitbag in an oversized t-shirt, and his hombre is some other little weasly fuck

so our clown car of pissed off amateur fighters empties out and they're like "oh jesus" and get in their car and speed off

hahhaha, you weren't expecting that, were you chucklefucks

we had a good laugh about that

what is it about hick towns and those sort of ratty looking skinny dudes who are in their twenties but have the giant ears and noses of men twice their age.

yeah holy shit what is up with that

it's not like, a region specific thing either

you go to any hick town you are going to see this little weezily scuzzfuck of a dude with a dirt-stache and big googly eyes and ears and a giant nose

who is this guy

how does he manage to be everywhere.

Pony on
    edited August 2010
    James wrote: »

the other game that gameshark was fun to use with was ocarina of time

shit yeah man

sequence break that shit

Pony on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know how rednecks fuck a lot and don't use protection? That is how.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
    edited August 2010
    ... but there are some damn good books reviewed on NPR...

Yeah but I can't respect secondhand taste.

like, I am not going to judge someone for having "bad" books on their shelf if that shelf says to me "I am an authentic person who really authentically likes 70's Frederick Forsyth thrillers." That is a shelf of books that were bought by a human. A shelf of like nothing but like Ira Glass and Dave Eggers and The Perks of Being a Wallflower says "I am a fashion accessory."

What if they're genuinely really into Dave Eggers?

sure, if they have everything he wrote and like back issues of McSweeney's in the bathroom or something. pr a signed first edition. something that says that there is a genuine love there.

but even so, a real shelf of books collected by a real person will, in practice, almost always have other random things mixed in. a beat up sci fi paperback, or hermann hesse, or PD Ouspenski new age meditation stuff, or those old lady books about cats who solve mysteries, or Time Life's World War I or something - the key is that it's something they clearly sought out rather than heard about on the drive home. because seeking things out is to me the defining characteristic of a book lover rather than someone who just wants to keep up appearances.

check the spines for wear

I worked for four years at an antique/rare bookstore, so I actually do that automatically
    I know an orthopedist who does the same thing

Elendil on
    edited August 2010
    Cinders wrote: »
    Oh Michigan.

It's like the US's reenactment of a post-apocalyptic world.

i know!

i used to go down there a bunch back in my mma days to fight in detroit or the suburbs around it and jesus christ

it's like the cold war ending without a shot fired was a lie

russia did nuke america

it hit michigan

like nine years ago i was outside detroit, in one of the burbs, and we're driving by and we come to a stoplight, and i shit you not we see three guys i can't even describe as homeless but more accurately are described as scavengers picking apart an abandoned house

one of them is on the look-out, holding a lead pipe

i was sitting in a car with four other burly martial artists, yet i was still finding myself being like "kyle can we get out of here please i don't like this place."

HEY MAN I LIVED IN MICHIGAN FOR 21 YEARS AND... uh... you forgot to shit on the non-Detroit places because those are just as bad.

redford and pontiac are really bad

i used to do fights in this warehouse in redford and holy bajeezus, the locals

just the whole fucking township, my god

there were basically roving homeless people. they weren't like urban homeless people, because redford is tiny and rural

so they were pretty much the raiders from fallout, just sorta wandering the bleak, desolate countryside scrounging what they can and stealing from anyone vulnerable

Pony on
    edited August 2010
    when i watched the movie of The Road, all i could think of was driving through michigan

that is what michigan looks like, man

like fucking that

the homeless people in redford were basically like that truck full of creepy cannibal dudes

Pony on
    edited August 2010
    i read books (almost exclusively) that are recommended to me or that i hear are good. i think this fashion accessory thing might be true of some people but isn't really some litmus test you can use.

yeah but based on what you talk about you don't read fashionable books. like, game of thrones is popular but nobody reads it to look cool to girls.

it's just how things are, man. people who are book lovers are different from people who aren't - just by necessity, because their lifestyle and decor will reflect their passion. it's like if gaming were really fashionable but people treated it like work, and you went into someone's house and the 360 was just sitting on a coffee table thirty feet away from the tv, not plugged in or anything - you probably would be skeptical if that homeowner was like "yeah I'm totally a gamer. I like the halocraft."

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2010
    looking cool to girls is just a bonus

Elendil on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

yeah but based on what you talk about you don't read fashionable books. like, game of thrones is popular but nobody reads it to look cool to girls.

it's just how things are, man. people who are book lovers are different from people who aren't - just by necessity, because their lifestyle and decor will reflect their passion. it's like if gaming were really fashionable but people treated it like work, and you went into someone's house and the 360 was just sitting on a coffee table thirty feet away from the tv, not plugged in or anything - you probably would be skeptical if that homeowner was like "yeah I'm totally a gamer. I like the halocraft."

This made me giggle
    My 360 is on a table 20 feet away from the TV, unplugged

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I don't know how I even played video games when I was a kid.

I was a dumbass. A complete dumbass. I didn't LISTEN. I did not OBSERVE. I was a worthless container of meat.

I feel like this often

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited August 2010

yeah holy shit what is up with that

it's not like, a region specific thing either

you go to any hick town you are going to see this little weezily scuzzfuck of a dude with a dirt-stache and big googly eyes and ears and a giant nose

who is this guy

how does he manage to be everywhere.

it's kind of amazing. like I wonder if it's to do with malnutrition or something - a dude grows up on nothing but Big Macs and Kraft dinner, but only like one meal a day.

all I know is at least 30% of the time they will be named Jeremy

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2010
    I have a few books

Variable on
    edited August 2010

This made me giggle

if I was skeptical about your gaming cred you could whip out your hard drive with all the insane 200-hour indie wargames on it and send me screaming into the night

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2010
    Vari you should go buy a camera

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited August 2010

i don't really read fashionable books, i read maybe 2 or 3 books a year, and i talk about pretty much all of 'em here

i also don't consider myself especially intelligent

i can see being a dude who is smart and who doesn't read much and going "ok, let me do some research and see what books are really good. i'll read those", and buying them

Organichu on
    edited August 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    looking cool to girls is just a bonus

I keep waiting for 120 Days of Sodom to reel 'em in

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of gaming

yesterday, on Vegas 2 terrorist hunt, i was ahead of the lady by only one kill

that was her third time playing so she is catching on quick

also she likes it a lot more than halo

James on
    edited August 2010

I own a camera

me and my friend bought it some time back.

Variable on
    edited August 2010
    but seriously the homeless people in redford scared the shit out of me

i keep bringing this up but when you come from a fairly large town and your only personal experience with homeless people is street beggers

seeing roving bands of scavengers armed with improvised weapons is terrifying

that's road warrior shit, man. one of our buddies who was from detroit was with us on the drive back because we were dropping him off in the city and halfway between we saw this dude at a stoplight smoking a cigarette and he's got what looks like newspaper padded around his abdomen and lower ribs, and then wrapped in like two bands of duct tape

and i am like "whoa what is up with that" to my buddy and he's like "shit man that is his armor, it's to protect him from getting stabbed"

i wanted to go home

Pony on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

This made me giggle

if I was skeptical about your gaming cred you could whip out your hard drive with all the insane 200-hour indie wargames on it and send me screaming into the night

Yeah but that hard drive is in the closet :(

Also: Some books are for show, like the outdated hardcover atlas on my coffee table, or my mum's old leatherbound Portuguese-language editions of Poe and Bronte and Cervantes. Other books are for reading, like the Gibson novels on my bookshelf or the paperback legal thrillers that populate my mum's bedside table or the shelves of Star Wars and Warhammer 40K novels that my brother has.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited August 2010
    Variable wrote: »

I own a camera

me and my friend bought it some time back.

are you filming stuff

interesting stuff

to put on the internet or more

get into the swing of it, do something interesting

Marble Hornets, The Guild, Clark and Michael

Catfish, Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity, Clerks

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    poshniallo wrote: »
    "what? you play lots of video games and you know stuff about them and you've worked on them and stuff"
    "yyyyeah but i don't really call myself or consider myself a gamer. it's not a label i like or a community i want to associate with"
    "...that... that doesn't make any sense."
    "eh, whatever. there are people who are comfortable identifying themselves by some labels. gamer isn't one i use for myself, nor is it one i like applied to me."

Exactly, yeah. It's sort of like how I'm a flaming, flag-waving socialist about economic issues but feel kind of a distaste towards a lot of the stereotypical young liberal lifestyle of fair trade coffee and woo-woo new agey bullshit

agreeing with part of it doesn't mean buying into everything

But you're still a leftie. If being a leftie doesn't really mean you match dumb people's image it's got to be better to educate them and be proud of being you than saying 'I'm not a leftie' or 'I'm not a gamer' or 'I'm not a geek' or 'I'm not whatever'.

No?

but it's not other people's dumb image, posh. It's something I encounter for real all the time. people who buy into homeopathy and bad medicine because they have been inculcated with a conspiracy-theory view of the world. or people whose only books they own are things they heard about on NPR. they have been sold a set of lifestyle accessories to go with their taste in politics and fashion and I reject both the inauthenticity of it and the commodification of it. I don't want to live in a world where because I hold political belief X, I must watch TV show Y and buy the clothing brand Z. That's why I tend to gravitate toward iconoclasts and freethinkers, even when I violently disagree with them (like Hitchens).

also, there are things I am genuinely less left about than others. I don't really care much about gun control and I would like to see a middle of the road stance on immigration, for instance - I despise the racism from the right but I don't think people on the left talk enough about how the social displacements caused by mass migration feed that xenophobia, they just condemn the xenophobia. You can't lecture a dude who's just lost his job and his pension about how he should be less racist - that doesn't solve anything. Giving him a job and a better education so he feels less threatened would go a lot further.

I still see it as a dumb image, but it's the dumb image of both the people in the Mao T-shirts and the people who think that being left-wing means supporting totalitarians.

But then left-wing is a horribly defined term.

I really get what you mean, though. I think one of the greatest failings of the left and progressives has been failing to address the downsides of social change. Like in England anyone who says 'Mass immigration may have some downsides' is immediately cast as Enoch Powell. So lefties are pussies about it and pretend that any problems are only the result of racist people being bad racists.

You can't have a debate on 'Should permanent immigrants to the UK be able to speak English? Should there be rules about it within the process?' without being accused of racism. But if you're an immigrant and you don't speak the language you're a second-class citizen. Your life is really fucking hard. I see this every day.

Then there's some feminists. So many people refusing to see that there may be some social downsides to more women working. One of the big problems with feminism has been that it's still seen as something for women, so that we have in many countries a generation of women who've stopped doing 'feminine' work, but men haven't started doing it. Blokes don't learn how to sew, or cook, or clean properly.

If we want social change, we have to face that there may be negative aspects we have to address, and not be too scared of looking racist or sexist or whatever to be an honest anti-racist or feminist.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited August 2010
    note to self: never go to michigan

James on
    edited August 2010
    my brother was driving down to windsor ontario, which is basically across the border from detroit and nestled right up against it

and they're driving by a sign that's like "WELCOME TO WINDSOR" and it's got a picture of a little map that has windsor and detroit on it

except detroit is scratched out with spraypaint and instead it says SOMALIA

my brother drove back around to get a picture of it with his phone

Pony on
    edited August 2010

i don't really read fashionable books, i read maybe 2 or 3 books a year, and i talk about pretty much all of 'em here

i can see being a dude who is smart and who doesn't read much and going "ok, let me do some research and see what books are really good. i'll read those", and buying them

at least if he's reading them

my thing is, people actually buy them just to keep around on their shelves and not read. people would come into the bookstore and want to buy books by the foot. "yeah, I've got three, four feet on the mantel. Whaddaya think would look good up there?"

I was like argh argh argh

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2010
    i really enjoy most things i read (the only book i think i've ever left unfinished was the house on mango street). though i do sometimes finding myself skipping long paragraphs that seem to meander about lame things... like the conclusion of certain chapters that try to summarize a char's despair

Organichu on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dying towns are terrifying no matter where they are. There's a place about an hour north of me where they replaced all the stoplights and signs with caution lights because it's too dangerous to actually stop.

Kilroy on
    edited August 2010
    yeah there are certain areas where if you stop at a red light people will just shamble casually into the street towards your car, by the bunch

it's like a zombie movie

Organichu on
    edited August 2010
    man

and i thought surrey was bad

James on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

my thing is, people actually buy them just to keep around on their shelves and not read. people would come into the bookstore and want to buy books by the foot. "yeah, I've got three, four feet on the mantel. Whaddaya think would look good up there?"

Like the people who want the leather bound editions of Classics or old-school penguins because they fit the "look" of their room.

When Black Books had a bit on this it was funny because it's true, not because it's ridiculous.

(I really hate people like that...).

BobCesca on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I think I might have lost my job at that moment.

'No! Get out! You're not allowed any books at all!'

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
This discussion has been closed.