As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

☞ ᙢọɲƙɛƴ﹠ᖇọɓọʈ Ǥ&#7884

2»

• Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I need help working out a color palette. I've been pouring over kuler.adober.com but I'm having trouble finding something that works.

Can I get some local opinions here?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    mars, whats it for?

Iruka on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    mars, whats it for?

Yeah, that would be a useful piece of information. I'm no professional, but I'll weigh in my opinion if you want it, Mars.

Paradise on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    mars, whats it for?

It's for my Monkey & Robot characters. I've got Robot's color palette figured out, and now I'm trying to sort out a color palette that looks good on Monkey, but then also compliments Robot when the two are paired together.

The trouble I'm running into is that I don't want both characters to essentially wear blue, because then they get lost into one another when paired up, but it's hard to find a palette that works well with Monkey's brown fur and is also complimentary to Robot.

Here's what I was playing around with last night before I crashed out.
    1snvo0.jpg

Note: Not only is Monkey off model there (that's a much older design, but for palette purposes it worked in a pinch), his colors ( with the exception of his eyes) are completely up for grabs. Robot, on the other hand, is shown completely on model. So his color palette is set and signed off on.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

• D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    mars, whats it for?

It's for my Monkey & Robot characters. I've got Robot's color palette figured out, and now I'm trying to sort out a color palette that looks good on Monkey, but then also compliments Robot when the two are paired together.

The trouble I'm running into is that I don't want both characters to essentially wear blue, because then they get lost into one another when paired up, but it's hard to find a palette that works well with Monkey's brown fur and is also complimentary to Robot.

Here's what I was playing around with last night before I crashed out.
    1snvo0.jpg

Note: Not only is Monkey off model there (that's a much older design, but for palette purposes it worked in a pinch), his colors ( with the exception of his eyes) are completely up for grabs. Robot, on the other hand, is shown completely on model. So his color palette is set and signed off on.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I have no idea, but I like the look of that robot.
    PROX wrote: »
    Hey everyone. What's going down? I wonder how Nightdragon is doing etc.

I'm beginning to think that you're not a real ND conjurer. Maybe you just ask so much that when she does show up, it coincides with one of your many summons.

Can anyone here do science?

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Mars, I like the second black suit, all in all, they are pretty similar. I think the brown ones are too close to the fur color.

Iruka on
    edited August 2010
    Thanks 'rook. I'm still trying to find that perfect balance (and it occurs to me that Option 1 and Option 3 are exactly the same. That wasn't intentional).

EDIT: Also, thanks D-Robe. I'm particularly proud of Robot's design. Jeeze, I should really update my thread.

edited August 2010
    Mars, do you know what the backgrounds are going to look like?

Paradise on
  • Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like the suit from 2, the hat from 3, and the tie from 4 personally. Have you thought about a green perhaps for the suit?

Agent Coleman on
    edited August 2010
    Paradise wrote: »
    Mars, do you know what the backgrounds are going to look like?

At the moment I'm just trying ti figure out the base color so that when I *do* add the characters to something, I'll have a base color to mix with the environmental lighting.

And thanks Coleman, I'll give that combo a try.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    I like the idea of a brown suit, but I agree that it's weird having a brown-on-brown getup. What you could try, and this may go against all your preconceived notions of what you want the character to look like, is change his skin and fur color to be more black and grey, like a grey langur.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Is a white suit out of the question? Would make him pop against the robot and his own fur.

DarkWarrior on
    edited August 2010
    Here are two color variations for the monkey (they're the same except for his hat). Those things on the robot's hat might get distracting if they're the only instance of red in either character.

24gt74h.jpg
    2vsk9sg.jpg

edit: I played with the monkey's colors, and I like ^this kind of thing the best, especially the top one.

Also, Darkwarrior's idea might be good, but white suits get kind of flashy sometimes.

Paradise on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    White suits are too southern dandy, while I think Mars is aiming for victorian england.

Mustang on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Well you could play with it, I think white or maybe a hue close to it could be very nice and I think with the duller colouring tone, it will help him stand out against the robot. I couldn't think of any other colour that would achieve that. Could always just give him a white shirt or white suit/blue/black shirt.

EDIT:

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/820/51591844.jpg

I think that hat looks snazzy

DarkWarrior on
    edited August 2010
    Perhaps his flashy southern gentlemonkey relatives can wear white suits.

Paradise on
    edited August 2010
    I like the idea of a brown suit, but I agree that it's weird having a brown-on-brown getup. What you could try, and this may go against all your preconceived notions of what you want the character to look like, is change his skin and fur color to be more black and grey, like a grey langur.

I think if I proposed such a change to the character now, my partner would have kittens. But that didn't stop me from doing it just for funsies!
    k9cfoj.jpg
    Is a white suit out of the question? Would make him pop against the robot and his own fur.
    Yeah, a white suit's right out. The series has no black and no white in it (with a very small exception for the occasional whites of the eyes in a dark room). Also, the whole Colonial Sanders thing.

Thanks Para, I like the color of the suit. I'm still playing with colors, so I think I'll give that a whirl.

Up for critique is a WIP remake of the original poster I did last year, here's a side by side [The Original vs The Remix]
    29w1l4n.jpg2nk809.jpg

For the Remix, the final color mix on the background elements (i.e. not the characters assets) is still a WIP, as is the logo. It's off center to make room for the "Flying Circus" title to be added.

Other than that, please critique!

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow, the remix is a LOT stronger. Do you have anymore drawings of your girl character? She seems like a bit of a non-entity on this poster and hasn't really made the same leap the rest of them have, they all have a well defined 'story' while hers still feels a bit murky.

Monkey: intelligent and often annoyed by robots goofiness
    Robot: Enthusiastic, sometimes dimwitted sidekick of monkey, but all together lovable.
    Sinister guy: Dick dastardly type dude
    Strong Man: Lovable Beefcake
    Mechanic/Slingshot girl? No idea

Mustang on
    edited August 2010
    Here's a larger version of the poster, specifically, the three supporting characters:

sxit0z.jpg

I do see what you mean about her seemingly being a "non-entity." There was something quite specific I was trying with her character, so take another look at all three of them and know this: These are all of the "Good Guys". With that said, what more can you tell me about her?

(If the answer is still "Not much", don't feel bad, answers spoil'd)
    The young lady's name is Lenuschka "Lenny" Strong, and the Strongman is her father. Both have red hair, but I tried to give both Strongman and Lenny similar attributes with their hair, namely the tips of it.

I also tried to work with her nose in a way that, while not specifically mirroring his, displays a parental blend that still calls back to her father in a way.

It is also important to note that she does, in fact, have a small red beard coming in. I may have to go back in and sell this a little better.

These three characters here are the first updates from the original poster, but with time permitting, I intend to do at least 2 more pieces featuring the entire cast of the post in action. I spent a hellova-lotta time heeding Ahab's advice and making sure I was drawing each character with a strong under-structure and form, instead of just "pushing lines around" as he had put it earlier. I really feel like I've been accomplishing that, especially the most with Robot right now.

More to come.

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the main characters need more contrast between each other in the color department.

NibCrom on