As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

P - I - N - G Dammit, your serve... OUTSIDE FUN

TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonightHas stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Social Entropy++
I have finally started taking advantage of the presence of 2 ping pong tables out on the back deck of my place of employment.

august10003.jpg

I am hooked, but I am also terrible. I am trying to use this "pen hold" grip, and so far my results are mixed.

Around here we have extremely casual players who just take their beer outside, set it on the table and just volley back and forth while they chat with each other. There are other people who feel the need to turn it into a drinking game and attempt to hit each others glasses and force the opponent to drink.

Then there are people like myself and friends who really enjoy this and are trying to get better but aren't too good and don't really take it seriously.

Further up the scale, there are those people who have been playing forever and just destroy you, but it makes you feel better if you get some points at least.

OFFICIAL RULES

Wikipedia, just because, y'know...

Basically, this is the closest thing to an outdoor "sport" with "rules" that I have participated in since high school.

Is anyone else into this? Do you play on teams for sport and fun in the summertime? Year round?

GIVE ME ADVICE AT BEING BETTER AT TABLE TENNIS.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
Tonkka on

• SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i play hockey and i love it

Swill on
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As good old Boris Johnson once said.

We invented table tennis, it was called Wiff Waff.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They have a couple of ping pong tables outside one of the tutoring centers near a few tables at my college. It's a pretty fun way to pass some time inbetween classes. Everyone else thinks so too, so they're generally in use most of the time.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Funny, we had a ping-pong tournament with all 26 people in my extended family while I was on vacation and that was honestly the first time I realized that, you know... ping pong has rules and gameplay beyond "hit ball back and forth."

It also turns out that I am related to a number of ping-pong sharks.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I used to take advantage of the ping pong table we had at school, but stupid fuckers broke it and now it is slanted and I hate little kids.
    Sports? I run in a circle as fast as I can. I am decent at it.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    pong.png

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Only ping pong I'm good at.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    See, if I weren't stuck in the kitchen right now (and there were someone who would play) I would be out there right now on this gorgeous day.

But noooooooooooooooooooo.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    my grandmother used to play in ping pong tournaments in the 50s and 60s for money. She wasn't professional or anything, she would just win the local bar tournament. When she found out that we had a table in our basement this 4th of July, she started coaching everyone. Right now, I'm the leader in our family league.

I never got the whole 'play-for-serve' thing though, and if someone insists on doing it, I usually purposely fail to return it. I just odn't think it gives that much of a strategic advantage.

Captain Ultra on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I didn't know play-for-serve existed until they told us to start playing my first ping-pong match in the tournament and then took the ball away and said I got to serve.

I was like wait what

that was the game

I won

...that said outdoor fun is the best kind of fun! I do a lot of hiking and jogging around here, because I live on a fucking mountain and what else do you do on a mountain, after all. Also riding my bike was bitching rad when I was six and is still bitching rad twenty years later, so I do that as often as I can.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey guys lets bust out some beer pong

no wait, beer darts. Beer darts is better

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Home rules on ping pong can get kind of ridiculous. Its not Monopoly-level bad, but yeah... Like in PATV, they do five sets of eleven points? Crazy.

Captain Ultra on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Home rules on ping pong can get kind of ridiculous. Its not Monopoly-level bad, but yeah... Like in PATV, they do five sets of eleven points? Crazy.

I think that those are the ITTF official rules, or something.

You alternate serve every 2 points as well.

Tonkka on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    I have started playing this at school about 4 months ago, and my building conveniently got a table in the common room about the same time. Larlar and I play occasionally and there is a lot of yelling and I usually lose.

bombardier on
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Use it to play beer pong.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The key is to aim for the eyes.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited August 2010
    The key is to aim for the eyes.

Sometimes people will play and set their drink on the table somewhere.

Then my strategy changes to aim for their drink, because they will second guess themselves and not want to spill their drink.

8-)

Tonkka on
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ping pong is the billet

i am also good at it which makes it 2x better

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2010
    I golfed today, but I don't know if that qualified as outdoor "fun"

DJ Eebs on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I played a bunch of ping pong in college. There was a table in the CS labs at my school. I miss playing a bunch :(

skettios on
    edited August 2010
    tonnkkaa you are not good at ping pong according to that video

how do you respond to that videos accusations

*point microphone at you*

no sir, not at all, this interviewer is not challenging you

please sir, i am not one for ping pong

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir

Swill on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Anyone wanna shoot some hoops?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Swill wrote: »

#pipe on
    edited August 2010
    sometimes pipe and i will pm each other

and that is all it says

"i play hockey and i love it"

and we will just quote each other quoting the other one

into forever

or one of us finishes

Swill on
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2010
    bombardier wrote: »
    I have started playing this at school about 4 months ago, and my building conveniently got a table in the common room about the same time. Larlar and I play occasionally and there is a lot of yelling and I usually lose.

The yelling is the best part and should become an official rule of ping pong games everywhere.

Also we should play again soon.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    soccer rules and next season cant start soon enough

VALVEjunkie on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    #pipe wrote: »

#pipe on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seriously though I always loved taking free throws for shits and giggles in gym class.

Basketball seems so fun.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited August 2010
    I used to play little league (baseball, son) and we used to play street hockey and street basketball and street football in our neighborhood

shit was rad

DJ Eebs on
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I used to play little league (baseball, son) and we used to play street hockey and street basketball and street football in our neighborhood

shit was rad

Street hockey, huh?

waynehockey.jpg

CAAAAAR.

GAME ON!

George Fornby Grill on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Well Kevin Smith likes hockey so

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010

shit was rad

Street hockey, huh?

waynehockey.jpg

CAAAAAR.

GAME ON!

dangit now I gotta watch it over and over THANKS A LOT

VALVEjunkie on
    edited August 2010

shit was rad

Street hockey, huh?

waynehockey.jpg

CAAAAAR.

GAME ON!

dangit now I gotta watch it over and over THANKS A LOT

It's my job. Everyone forever watching Wayne's World 1 and 2 as often as they can. That is my goal.

George Fornby Grill on
    edited August 2010
    you make this world a better place, crawford

VALVEjunkie on
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love ping pong, when I want on a cruise all I did was play ping pong with canadians

HellaJeff on
    edited August 2010
    SPIN SERVE

DJ Eebs on
  • UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yers

that's how you win

spin serves

Ulises on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I could never get the hang of spins. Was a big fan of those fast low to the table shots though.

skettios on
    edited August 2010
    tonnkkaa you are not good at ping pong according to that video

how do you respond to that videos accusations

*point microphone at you*

no sir, not at all, this interviewer is not challenging you

please sir, i am not one for ping pong

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir

Oh shit, that was my birthday back in June.

I, um... may have been, er, FUCKING POLLUTED. I think that was after about 8 shots of Rumple Mintz.

Luke you are a glorious asshole for posting that, and I heart you.

Tonkka on