As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Almost Pets [Comic] - Potential Disaster

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really love this 'we're completely oblivious to our incaceration' story arc.

I don't care what anyone says; Ignorance is bliss.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Me too, I'm really liking this story.

Their ignorance is charming. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm late!

Strip%5B55%5D700Rez.jpg

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The boat seems to be fully empty - the line that will eventually separate the red bottom from the upper hull is very close to the water line when the boat is fully loaded, and only shows that high above the water when the boat is nearly empty.

Is there a timeline that you're going for with the comic? I think bulbous bows weren't that common in the first 3/4 of the 20th century.

Aim on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah man that thing looks almost drydocked o_O Like Aim says, just drop it to the watermark.

By the way, you all is hella dim if you didn't get the wallet gag. Don't put it in the last panel J-lamp, it's perfect this way.

I think now would be a good time to let you know that your comic is one of the top 3/4 things i look for in the AC. It has improved so much. The adivise you took to heart was good, but ultimately it's your characters, your writing and your art that make it what it is. so yay for you guys i guess?

Anyway, I hope you guys go far with it.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    bwanie wrote: »
    Yeah man that thing looks almost drydocked o_O Like Aim says, just drop it to the watermark.

By the way, you all is hella dim if you didn't get the wallet gag. Don't put it in the last panel J-lamp, it's perfect this way.

I think now would be a good time to let you know that your comic is one of the top 3/4 things i look for in the AC. It has improved so much. The adivise you took to heart was good, but ultimately it's your characters, your writing and your art that make it what it is. so yay for you guys i guess?

Anyway, I hope you guys go far with it.

Thank you sir! After looking back at it, it's not the art, writing, or the attitude that were changed...it was the overall accessibility of the comic. All the advice, we realized, was stuff we were willing to let go of, because it wasn't the essence of anything we were doing, but rather the shell it was presented in....or something. In any case, I appreciate the well wishes. We hope it goes somewhere too, not gonna lie.

Aim wrote: »
    Is there a timeline that you're going for with the comic? I think bulbous bows weren't that common in the first 3/4 of the 20th century.

We aren't taking ourselves too seriously with the travel comics. Just some fun things for Chris to draw, and they aren't very crucial to what we're going for. Time periods be damned!

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Timeline wise, that's fine - I was enjoying what I thought was a 1930's/Indiana Jones vibe from the travel arc, and the boat exterior seemed to go against that.

Aim on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Strip%5B56%5D700Rez.jpg

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yes, going where no reptiles and amphibian have gone before. :lol:

I like the minimalist approach you guys have going here. Love it. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That was unexpected, I thought they were going to a zoo.

So what's next space shuttle crash and they survive and end up exactly back where they came from?

Mustang on
  • Options
    wanderlikewanderlike Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The art is very good. Nicely done there. The writing itself...hmmm...it's not bad. I think this comic could have had a bit more punch. The punchline was, like, just a few inches off where it could have been. It's nothing bad, but I tend to agonize over things like this myself.

I hate the idea of thinking a comic is funny but could have been hilarious with just a little tweak or two.

Still, great work overall. I'll have to start reading up on this one.

wanderlike on
    More nerd than you'll ever need. Period.

http://www.thenerdempire.net
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Strip%5B59%5D700Rez.jpg

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Daaang. These colors are so fresh.

Sniiiiip!

NibCrom on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They went in a space shuttle to get from the jungle to the pet shop?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think they were sold to NASA, then NASA gave them to a pet store after they were done with them.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "These animals are just too oblivious to use in experiments. Get rid of them."

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    smof wrote: »
    They went in a space shuttle to get from the jungle to the pet shop?

Wouldn't you?

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't really get what the relevance is of their conversation, but damn those colors are niiice.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Here's another on of these...things

Strip%5B60%5D700Rez.jpg

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hahahaha :^:

Mustang on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    JLM-AWP wrote: »
    Here's another on of these...things

Strip%5B60%5D700Rez.jpg

BotP

And so pretty.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love the artistic experimentation in these recent ones. Also, your writing has been great lately: at a lot of the new comics made me laugh really hard.

Hooray for you both!

Paradise on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like the parallel narratives a lot. Stylistically, this is probably my favourite so far.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks guys! I'm glad you've been enjoying them :D

@Flay: I agree, that one really blew me away when he was done drawing it.

@Paradise: Thanks! It was a challenge because I had to make these last several strips purely conversational, so we tried to put extra effort into the writing to justify our approach to their travels.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it seems the word balloon tails should extend towards where the mouths would be as opposed to from the tails.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ObligatoriousObligatorious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it seems the word balloon tails should extend towards where the mouths would be as opposed to from the tails.

That crossed my mind, too. But I think it's cute this way. Look at their little tails

Obligatorious on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I don't have a problem with it. As long as you can tell who's saying what (and when), it's fine.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    We wrestled with the tail text bubbles, but ultimately thought it kept the comic a bit less confusing, assuming you know who is who. I've thought about doing some tail stuff in the past, and thought it would be fun to give the tails a small personality of their own...like a puppet show of sorts.

Strip%5B59%5Da700Rez.jpg

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    Silvestri99Silvestri99 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm liking your comic and the subtle humor. It's improved bunches since the first posting. Are you going to settle on a style or keep experimenting?

Silvestri99 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm liking your comic and the subtle humor. It's improved bunches since the first posting. Are you going to settle on a style or keep experimenting?

We actually have some more abstract stuff planned for the immediate future (due to scheduling and lack of free time), but we'll be going back to our normal style in a little while.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We return! We've been posting twice a week since I let the thread sort of fizzle out, but now that we both have time to do so, we are back up and making full strips again. Hopefully you guys enjoy :)

Here is the newest strip, but if you'd like to see what we've been up to in the last few months, go ahead and click my sig and read away!

Strip%5B77%5D700Rez.jpg

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    J-LAMP!

i was just thinking about your comic this week and went to the site to see what was up. and i was like man, this dude is still making comics but not posting them for us? after all we did for him?

FIE!

j/k, good to have you back.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thanks bwanie :)

And here, we have a comic. Another comic. Strip.

Strip%5B78%5D700Rez.jpg

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yay! I'm glad the normal comics are back. I like this most recent one.

I think the dialogue in the previous one could be a little stronger. What if the the last word was "animals" instead of "pets". Like he derides lesser creatures. I think that would be funnier.

Or maybe not.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    No, I think 'pets' works better.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Welp, I was wrong.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How dare you offer up reasonable suggestions, Nib. How dare you.

I actually think we debated that back and forth, but I can't remember too clearly. We made that one about 10 weeks ago :P

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    haha sorry that sounded really abrupt! I had a long comment justifying why I thought 'pets' was better but it sounded kind of pretentious so I deleted most of it. Whoops!

tynic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    tynic wrote: »
    haha sorry that sounded really abrupt! I had a long comment justifying why I thought 'pets' was better but it sounded kind of pretentious so I deleted most of it. Whoops!

Oh, I didn't read it like that at all, I was just bein' goofy.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    tynic wrote: »

No worries! I didn't think you were trying to be mean or anything. I'm just having fun. :P

NibCrom on