As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo: Reach / 3 : Go to the new thead

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I do wonder what people do to make these 360 crash epidemics happen. I had a first-generation 360 which red-ringed once (got it back within 2 week due to warranty) and had some other utterly bizarre non-red-ring failure (also back in two due to warranty) two years ago. Since then, not a twitch of brokenness. Do people set these things on a mechanical bull while playing or what?

Anyway, it was fun to see the hologram in action, if briefly so. You never know if people will actually fall for a piece of AI like that, but it seems like it does plenty good at distracting people for at least a second or two. I wonder how much it imitates the user, though. I mean, can you strafe while looking in a given direction and it will imitate that or does it "launch" in the same direction (based on which way you're facing) and looking the same way every time? Because if it imitates your direction and aim, that could be really awesome at distracting snipers and whatnot just long enough to counterattack or escape from cover.

EDIT: I also wonder if the hologram actually has any sort of phyical presence. I know a single shot won't pop it, but will it actually stop bullets and explode rockets or would they just pass right through?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seeing the Hologram react to the lift like that was awesome. I predict some wonderful kills related to it.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think hologram will be one of my favorite Armour abilities.

Also is anyone else up for some 3ballin'?

jimbo034 on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Get on, Yorker, we have people to shoot.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What I'm looking forward to with Hologram is making false motion tracker blips away from me while I hide so I can get the drop on people.

Xagar on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Interview formatted and put up. I'll let you guys see it before I push it live in about an hour.

http://www.oranjive.com/fireteamzulu/index.php?mode=news&sid=18

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Xagar wrote: »
    What I'm looking forward to with Hologram is making false motion tracker blips away from me while I hide so I can get the drop on people.

I like the story of the guy hiding behind a rock, spawn a still standing hologram (by looking down at the ground), then HE would run in a straight line and people would think he was the decoy.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    Xagar wrote: »

I like the story of the guy hiding behind a rock, spawn a still standing hologram (by looking down at the ground), then HE would run in a straight line and people would think he was the decoy.

I was already planning on doing this a lot

Hologram is going to be such a mindfuck.

Hopefully it doesn't have some weird as hell glitch with it that means it gets removed out of matchmaking like H3's radar jammer and flare, though

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    How were the jammer and flare bugged?

Also, I was watch the Boneyard Beta high-lights on Waypoint... There's a good one of a Spartan driving a hog and an Elite kills his gunner, so the guys starts heading for the cliff and just goes right over the edge. However, he managed to get out as the hog was falling and just used his jet pack to get right back into the fight.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Interview up!

Also, they were bugged in that you could throw them straight down and double jump off them onto parts of the map you weren't supposed to be able to get onto.

But I think the real reason is that they just didn't work out like Bungie hoped. People didn't understand that throwing sphere equipment worked like grenades in that you could look upwards to throw it farther, so people basically kept flaring themselves.

You can do the double jump off the power drain still.

The flare is still in matchmaking. On the Living Dead version of Isolation. And you can't pick it up.

They were pretty much never coming back once it was known that none of the DLC maps have default flares or jammers.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Throwing the flare and jammer like grenades?
    I never even really used them in campaign either.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    Throwing the flare and jammer like grenades?
    I never even really used them in campaign either.

Yep. Look up slightly like you want to throw a grenade farther, but press X to throw the equipment instead.

It's most effective with the flare and power drainer. If you do it with the drainer, you can throw it across Valhalla coming out of a mancannon

edit: basically tl;dr from that interview

1) every vehicle and most objects can be made into a KotH hill or other objectives, done by selecting it's "label" from a wheel

2) asshole teleporter is possible

3) telefragging does not return, the strategy of jumping through a blocked teleporter from Halo 3 still has to be used

4) Up to a hundred objective objects can now be placed instead of ~8

5) You should still save your map before inviting people in to see it

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Woooo, just pre-orderd a Reach 360 and Legendary Edition. Can't fucking wait for launch, but I'll be working out of town the first 3 weeks of September. Gonna miss the good old midnight line :(

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So what exactly do we know about armor variations that will be tied to achievements from 3 and ODST? Anything new or specific?

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just watched that Zealot video... pretty cool, but no one went into outer space. :?

Does anyone else get a Desolation/Derelict vibe from it?

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think it was meant to resemble any older maps.. "circle maps" have kind of been a hallmark of Halo since day 1.

I saw stuff in there that reminded me of midship and gemini too. Or even assembly.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Edit: spoilers are pictures of Halo 2's desolation and Reach's Zealot (multiplayer map)
    H2_Desolation04sm.jpg
    2qk84dw.jpg

It's more than just the circle map part. There is a 2nd story center platform with bridges leading to it form the 2nd story ring around the outside. There are mancannons in the bottom middle that take out to the outer ring. The outer ring has hallways that lead to the bottom floor. I know it's not a remake or re-imagining, but I really wouldn't be surprised if we find out later that they wanted to make a desolation like map.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Having never played Desolation till zero hour (server shutdown), I kinda liked it. It had a lot going on and was decently sized with multiple options to go up to the second floor.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I kinda liked it too, but it suffered from the same fate as Longshore: came out too late, hardly played any games on it.

Desolation was also interesting in that it was basically designed like a Halo 3 map, but made to work in Halo 2. For example, the 'backporting' of Halo 3 style mancannons into the map instead of teleporters to get people quickly to the top floor.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fyre want more 3ball?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah... hey... I wonder if I should try and remake Tombstone/Hang'em High.

Or if it would even be possible (item limits)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Fyre want more 3ball?

In a while. Fixing stuff

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Just watched that Zealot video... pretty cool, but no one went into outer space. :?

Does anyone else get a Desolation/Derelict vibe from it?
    dinoarus wrote: »
    When I first saw Zealot I actually thought it was a remake of Derelict covy style.

Never got to try Desolation, but loved Derelict in Halo 1. There are defintely elements of other maps like Gemini though.

I think Bungie made a forged version of hang em high, I remember seeing a screenshot of it in one of the forge world BWUs.

dinoarus on
    Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yorker are you up for some Doubles or Swat?

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Interview formatted and put up. I'll let you guys see it before I push it live in about an hour.

http://www.oranjive.com/fireteamzulu/index.php?mode=news&sid=18

"And yes, you can do exactly what you describe with a delayed spawn teleporter, as long as the receiver is placed such that players are forced to move out of it (e.g., by falling.)"

Ghosts of Onyx Finale invasion map oh my god.
    Speaking of, I'm going through all of the Halo things (minus the stupid, stupid anime)
    in preparation for Reach. I'll post retrospectives here (in spoilers, with Lost-thread style 'points' [E.G. +200
    style points to Sgt.Johnson for being awesome, -400 points to Mercy for dying like a bitch])
    if, you know, we're all cool with that. First up? FALL OF REACH.

Dimosar on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I finally got around to pre-ordering reach yesterday at Gamestop. Do I get two sets of bonus armor codes? One for pre-ordering and then one from doing it at gamestop, or just one? Because I've read different things.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    So I finally got around to pre-ordering reach yesterday at Gamestop. Do I get two sets of bonus armor codes? One for pre-ordering and then one from doing it at gamestop, or just one? Because I've read different things.

From the OP
    (size spoiler)
    armorbonusreach.png

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a picture of the Waypoint armor?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nope

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think there are a few pieces of armour in the Waypoint unlocks since its based on ODST, Halo 3, and Reach. but I might be wrong.

jimbo034 on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So wait, you just have to get at least one achievement each in Halo 3, ODST, and Reach to get this waypoint armor? Or do I have to get all achievements in all games?

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    We don't know. They haven't released any details except that something will be tied to Waypoint, specifically ODST and Halo 3 (not Halo Wars).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Woo! 120GB get! Gonna back up the H2 maps too.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So annoying that that player spent the entire match and never once went into outer space! That's what I care about! Everything else could be summed up as changing the layout on Midship. Outer space is where it's at.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    So annoying that that player spent the entire match and never once went into outer space! That's what I care about! Everything else could be summed up as changing the layout on Midship. Outer space is where it's at.

Yeah that video was a real let down.

jimbo034 on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder if I have time to get the rest of the multiplayer achievements in Halo 3 I never got before the game is a ghost town with Reach.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder if I have time to get the rest of the multiplayer achievements in Halo 3 I never got before the game is a ghost town with Reach.

There were always a couple thousand people playing Halo 2 right up until the end.

I predict H3 will take a long time to die.. there's people who won't be willing to give up their BR until they're forced to.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    pinnacle, the ascension remake
    some nice hologram work in there, and then at the end you can see the new melee in action. notice how it takes a few DMR shots and then two melees, one to finish off the shield and then kill him. i'm thinking it's three melees to kill now

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    New sounds are good.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    RepoMan1023RepoMan1023 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    pinnacle, the ascension remake[/URL]
    some nice hologram work in there, and then at the end you can see the new melee in action. notice how it takes a few DMR shots and then two melees, one to finish off the shield and then kill him. i'm thinking it's three melees to kill now
    Wasn't that how it was in the beta? I remember it was a few shots of whatever to damage the shields, then two melees to finish.

RepoMan1023 on
    splasersigqg6.jpg
    RepoMan1023.gif