As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Things My Friends Hate

mrlynchmrlynch Registered User new member
edited August 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys,

I've been reading PA for a while but I'm new to the forums. I figured I'd take a moment and share a series of illustrations I've been working on. Basically I have a list of just under 20 friends and I'm drawing cartoons of the things they hate. Its that simple.

By all means, let me know what you guys think.
attachment.php?attachmentid=1042348&d=1281923742

attachment.php?attachmentid=1042354&d=1281923971

attachment.php?attachmentid=1042359&d=1281924133

attachment.php?attachmentid=1042360&d=1281924186

attachment.php?attachmentid=1042362&d=1281924259

mrlynch on

• HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like the stylization, but it looks like you could use some work on your structure. Many of your guys are leaning far off their center of gravity, usually to the left. The space alien feels really stiff and unnatural, and he's about to fall over as well.

I'm having a hard time imagining the orientation of the rock singer's right hand, partly due to what seems to be a missing half of the microphone.

So, yeah. I like the style, but it's missing the basics.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • mrlynchmrlynch Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Huh. Good notes, thanks for the input. Something to look at in the future.

mrlynch on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm having a hard time imagining the orientation of the rock singer's right hand, partly due to what seems to be a missing half of the microphone.

This.

However, these are fucking great. Major props on the idea.

Mustang on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I agree with what these guys have posted: this is a cool idea, and I like your stylization, but you should do some live figure drawing to develop your basics.

Also, I'm assuming that's a Western belt buckle on the "alien" guy. It looks weird because it's right between his legs, it's got no detail on it, and there's no belt showing.

But honestly, your style has great potential.

Paradise on
  • shovelkid001shovelkid001 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really dig the dessert nazi one. That illustration looks the cleanest and has the best placement of the characters, a good balance. And that poor cat! Why can't he haz?

shovelkid001 on
  • mrlynchmrlynch Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Thanks shovel kid.

I definitely see what you guys are talking about especially the more I look at it. However I feel like things are getting a bit more solid as time goes on. For instance I think the last one (Hilary H.) is the best out of the bunch or at least where I should be heading.

What do you guys think?

mrlynch on