As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo: Reach / 3 : Go to the new thead

• ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    pinnacle, the ascension remake[/URL]
    some nice hologram work in there, and then at the end you can see the new melee in action. notice how it takes a few DMR shots and then two melees, one to finish off the shield and then kill him. i'm thinking it's three melees to kill now
    Wasn't that how it was in the beta? I remember it was a few shots of whatever to damage the shields, then two melees to finish.
    Its just that now melee damage doesn't carryover between shields and health. If they still have a single point of shields left all the melee will do is knock that down. If the shields are out, then they die.

Viedo: Ascension. Fuck yes. I really can't wait.

Arrath on
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow Reach is going to own so hard.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When was the last time we all got together and played BTB?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    pretty sure it was 2 or so days from MNC's release, and it was commentary night

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    pinnacle, the ascension remake[/URL]
    some nice hologram work in there, and then at the end you can see the new melee in action. notice how it takes a few DMR shots and then two melees, one to finish off the shield and then kill him. i'm thinking it's three melees to kill now
    Wasn't that how it was in the beta? I remember it was a few shots of whatever to damage the shields, then two melees to finish.
    Its just that now melee damage doesn't carryover between shields and health. If they still have a single point of shields left all the melee will do is knock that down. If the shields are out, then they die.

Viedo: Ascension. Fuck yes. I really can't wait.

This.

The 2 grenades didn't damage him.... then he hits him with 3 DMR shots (misses the other). This left the enemy with a tiny amount of shield. One more DMR shot hit and he could have used a single melee to finish him off. It is a good clip to see the new, slightly longer (at least compared to the beta) melee cooldown.

So... I'm going to be standing still in the middle of the map at least once every game. People will assume I'm a hologram, then BAM. Also, I guess if we have one person AFK, everyone should use hologram and just make all the decoys stand still.

Ratsult2 on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know... I need to find 6 other players so we can go achievement hunting on some of the maps.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    pretty sure it was 2 or so days from MNC's release, and it was commentary night

AND IT WAS AWESOME.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am going to be on Halo shortly...I don't know if I'm on anyone's friends list anymore but I'd be happy to throw down some squad battle or whatever. Just don't ask me to do ranked team slayer. I don't think I can ever go back to that.
    GT: Leonius7

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can anyone give me some tips on Frag grenade usage in H3? I'm getting back into multiplayer in anticipation of Reach but I can never seem to hit people with them.

GT is BlueDouble if you want someone for team games.

BlueDestiny on
    edited August 2010
    Throw them at the ground. Grenades in Halo work on a contact fuse - they explode a certain amount of time (I think three seconds) after hitting an object. You need to learn to count your fuse from the first impact, not from the throw.

Willeth on
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    MS sends review copies via codes to press now. They did it for Crackdown 2.

Also I like how Urk linked the FW interview I did with Ferrex with the tag "Nobody wants to remake Chiron. Nobody!" Ahahaha

FyreWulff on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm kind of sad we haven't seen any sign of an ARG for Reach yet.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited August 2010
    http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/08/16/xbox-360-limited-edition-halo-reach-console-sounds.aspx

major nelson uploaded the sounds the reach 360 makes

eject - shield charge
    power - deployable cover deploy sound (and I guess the overshield/camo spawning noise)

FyreWulff on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I guess if you really wanted Reach 28 days early, you'd only have to plunk down 1,250 dollars.

Mx. Quill on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seeing people react to those holograms makes me a lot more excited about them. Seeing the guy launch the holo and then safely follow it while it drew fire is exactly the sort of thing I've been hoping it would work for. Not to mention the guy using it as a decoy to draw out the entire enemy team and then killing three of them with one rocket.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One day, we should get a full group of 8 guys all with hologram and pretend that we're all AFK with our holo-selves standing next to us, just to screw with the other team.

Mx. Quill on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I guess if you really wanted Reach 28 days early, you'd only have to plunk down 1,250 dollars.

I think there's a cap for MS points.. which is why they set it at 9999. No one can buy that many, which means no one can buy the game.

xzzy on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah... I've never been tempted to try some of those MS point key-gen programs but now.... <sigh> If I were to use one it would be pretty damn obvious and I'd be banned and not be able to play...

Actually... this brings to mind a question I had earlier...

Why wasn't Halo 2 ever released as an Xbox Original Download?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited August 2010

I don't think anyone is ever going to know :(

Also sweet forklift theme for 360:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1003151

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2010
    Kor wrote: »

theres one in toronto and another in vancouver....

Angel177 on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One day, we should get a full group of 8 guys all with hologram and pretend that we're all AFK with our holo-selves standing next to us, just to screw with the other team.

I'm hoping for some crazy hologram-related gametype shenanigans. Things like one team on the ground with lots of intervening terrain, weapons in exposed place, and infinite holograms and one team in towers with low-ammo sniper rifles. A target-rich environment, but choose wisely or else suffer the wrath of an incoming plasma grenade.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Field General looks stupid.

joshgotro on
    edited August 2010
    Worst game ever with Holograms

FyreWulff on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Worst game ever with Holograms

Everyone is still going to fire at the middle.

joshgotro on
    edited August 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I don't think anyone is ever going to know :(

Also sweet forklift theme for 360:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1003151

It's kinda sad too, given that all the other Halo titles were/are available.
    (I'm sure once Reach is in full swing, the "campaign-only" version of ODST will be posted eventually.)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Angel177 on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Angel177 wrote: »

but what about god's country

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    edited August 2010
    hoodie13 wrote: »

but what about god's country

Your God is Dead.

Angel177 on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What is this God's country?

Kadoken on
  • LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kor wrote: »
    I have to say I felt pretty underwhelmed by the Halo 3 ARG. What I saw of ILB seemed far more awesome, even if it wasn't tied into the campaign of H2 at all.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You can tell by the light bloom that the xbox.com canada web development team are a well funded and well staffed bunch.

jimbo034 on
    edited August 2010
    jimbo034 wrote: »
    You can tell by the light bloom that the xbox.com canada web development team are a well funded and well staffed bunch.

YOUR MISSON

Willeth on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Oh snap. So there.

Anyone else going in Toronto, then?

Recoil42 on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I was sharing some of this with Rat the other day, but I figure I could post it here to get some minds thinking.

None of this is new information, but because I'm using bits from more recent BWUs, I'll be putting it in a spoiler anyway.
    So, ever since I saw the achievement list, I've had something bothering me: Why is there no achievement for beating level 1?

Initially I just shrugged it off as them simply wanting the achievement space to go somewhere else, and that was that. Then I started to notice something about the reviews we've been seeing. Now, if I'm wrong about this, then the entire theory is retarded, and everyone can go about there way, but I've yet to see any reviewer actually talk about level one. Most reviews have specifically talked about leveld 3, 4, and 5. In fact, the level we saw at E3 wasn't level 1, like I think most of us initially thought.

What this leads me to, is wondering why level 1 still has yet to see the light of day. I kept trying to think of a reason, a good reason why nothing about the introductory level had been shown. Then I had an idea (which humorously enough, TeaParty had the same revelation as I did only moments after).

Maybe the first level isn't played as the new Noble 6. Maybe level one is played as, Thom-293, the guy Noble 6 replaces. We know that this guy died recently, and Noble 6 is there to replace him. Maybe you play the intro level as Thom, and you simply die at the end of the level. You're not technically beating the level, and thus, no achievement and such.

This all doesn't have any real meat behind the theory, just something that I don't understand, and thus, am trying to explain.

Have I missed some detail that makes this idea impossible?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited August 2010
    I think you might be onto something there, Kor.
    While I wouldn't really enjoy the whole, "Oh whoops, you're dead" thing since it'd feel a bit too much like MW2's habit of stupidly killing off the player for no reason, it would make a whole lot more sense for Reach, given how desperate the situation is.

Mx. Quill on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    While I wouldn't really enjoy the whole, "Oh whoops, you're dead" thing since it'd feel a bit too much like MW2's habit of stupidly killing off the player for no reason, it would make a whole lot more sense for Reach, given how desperate the situation is.
    I agree. Didn't they say that some Modern Warfare-like plot... story device... or something was going to be in Reach?

Ratsult2 on
    edited August 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    I agree. Didn't they say that some Modern Warfare-like plot... story device... or something was going to be in Reach?
    Maybe? I dunno, but if it's true, it'll be fine since Bungie actually knows how to make a sensible plot.

Mx. Quill on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I just want to fill up a blood gulch base with a 16-man holo-orgy.

Is that so wrong?

Recoil42 on
  • B for BusinessB for Business Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    You know... I need to find 6 other players so we can go achievement hunting on some of the maps.

here's 1.

B for Business on
    Xbox Live - Jaxon121906 10k
    PSN - B_for_Business